Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Potato Dextrose, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineQtangpan
Stranger

2 Mini tubs - Questions from first time grower
    #26640864 - 05/01/20 11:27 AM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Hi ya'll,

first of all, hats off to this fantastic community - the amount of knowledge hidden in the posts is amazing. I've started thinking about growing my own mushrooms from the bottom up after the fiasco that my ordered growkit was.

Since then, I've ordered some LC, colonized a couple of grain jars (followings BOD's EASY AF oats prep), prepped a few PDA plates, and got into my first tubs.

I currently have 2 minitubs set up. Coir & Verm (60/40) substrate with Oat grains colonized with LC. 1:1.5 spawn ratio. I originally followed BOD's simple AF teks, but started incorporating/testing some other interesting things I've read whilst lurking on the forum - like the hole placement method on minitub 2. Other things to note:

• I've hydrated the colonized oat grains used in minitub 2 before spawning.
  • I live in Southern Spain with where the climate is dry. In the past, I've tried to grow using grow it twice, with barely any or no results (even though I've followed the recommendations provided with the kit). After reading around on the forum I lean to suspect that it might be the cause of drying out of the cake or low humidity of the area (which is kinda weird, I live by 10 minutes away from the ocean).
  • I'm a total amateur, and confused about some stuff. What does a 100% colonized monotub look like? what are the signs of the 100% colonization? What causes pins to stop growing and turn into aborts if FAE is done 6-7 times a day & misting 2-3 times per day?

Below links to the imgur archives with the pictures of each cake & tub included:

Minitub 1 - https://imgur.com/a/ycRmaI5

Minitub 2 - https://imgur.com/a/c7iT6Lp

Any feedback or words of wisdom kindly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - both of my tubs are still uncased, and I am not sure when or whether I should add a casing layer. If I understand it correctly, a casing layer would help the top layer maintain optimal humidity, hence improving the pinset. I was considering as it could help with the dry climate and not allow the cake to dry out too easily.

Qtang

Edited by Qtangpan (05/01/20 11:50 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesabinastreasure
venti sprite
 User Gallery

Loc: NeverNeverland
Re: 2 Mini tubs - Questions from first time grower [Re: Qtangpan]
    #26640902 - 05/01/20 11:49 AM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Hey, welcome. I'm no expert but I'll try my best to help. I grow in a desert and I've found that the best simple method for keeping humidity is Bodhisatta's plastic bag tek. Just slap a plastic bag over your shoebox and mist your sub and the inside of the bag when needed. For me that's about once a day, it's probably a little different for you. To my (not expert) eye those minimonos look colonized. I would recommend doing research into consolidation and figuring out how much time you wanna give those tubs before you fruit them

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

Re: 2 Mini tubs - Questions from first time grower [Re: sabinastreasure]
    #26641075 - 05/01/20 01:21 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

100% colonized is just when you have mycelium over the whole surface. Sometimes you’ll have spots that are a little thinner and may not look colonized but are.

You don’t consolidate with bulk sub since the whole thing is not super nutrient dense like a BRF cake.

Are you keeping them closed up in that trash bag while colonizing?

--------------------
There’s room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

OfflineQtangpan
Stranger

Re: 2 Mini tubs - Questions from first time grower [Re: Roger Clemency]
    #26641133 - 05/01/20 01:44 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

Hi!

Thank you for the reply & the info. Yeah, during the colonization time (so about last week) they've been closed in bags. I opened the bags slightly every 2nd day to take a peak, but haven't touched the lids until today when taking the photos.

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

Re: 2 Mini tubs - Questions from first time grower [Re: Qtangpan]
    #26641600 - 05/01/20 05:41 PM (9 months, 26 days ago)

You want them to be able to breath and colonizing in darkness is outdated info that forever pops up. And while you don’t want to constantly be messing with your tubs during any stage, it’s fine to open the lid or whatever if you need to while colonizing.

Once your grain spawn is colonized and you mix to bulk you’re already mixing in contaminant spores but they don’t germinate well if at all on coir/verm so your good myc will take over everything.

As far as aborts, they can happen from a number of things. Sometimes you’ll get an awesome pin set but the sub just can’t sustain them all so the organism chooses some to let go basically. Contamination can cause them to abort, overly dry sub which sort of speaks to the first thing just in a more extreme way, too wet of a sub.

FAE is a constant, passive thing. The holes in your tub (or leaving gaps in the lid) allow that air to come in 24/7. I won’t get into the debate about fanning lol, some people fan after they mist, some don’t. Cubes are easy to grow once you know about them.

The basic tenants are: Agar, clean spawn, properly pasteurized substrate (or use only CVG and prep however you like), and once growing you give them as much air as you can without drying the mycelium or substrate.

It’s a balance that differs for everyone depending on environment but basically you want little beads of moisture on the surface. After 6,8,12 hours or whatever you’ll notice less or no beads, then you mist and pay attention to how long it takes for that to happen again. That’s my method anyway and I don’t suck :chump:

--------------------
There’s room at the top they are telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Potato Dextrose, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation