Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMoldman
Stranger

Loc: Contamination
Identifying growth in agar, shocking disturbing images maybe
    #26638149 - 04/30/20 04:53 AM (9 months, 21 days ago)

Hi!
It's been one week since inoculating petri dishes with EQ spores. At least one dish turned to bad if not more.

Then there are few plates with this kind of cottony growth with promising bright white fuzziness. This one is size in about finger nail:

This in interesting looking one. It started growing two nearby spots and combining
together. It is size of a thumbprint and today it started growing little fuzz on outer edges. Before that it was like blister growing symmetrical lines outwards.

Things learned:
-petri dish condensation seems forever, so for next patch i'm gonna let them decondensate before wrapping up.
-petri dishes scratch easily when wiped with paper towel. So no sharp pictures here, sorry.
-Condensation + failure to dose tiny amount of spores with syringe creates sick looking petri dishes. They looked that straight away so I'd like to think that background ain't contaminated.

What are your thoughts about what's going on here?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFrankRhizo
Interdimensional Travel Agent
Male User Gallery
Loc: Subterranean Flag
Re: Identifying growth in agar, shocking disturbing images maybe [Re: Moldman]
    #26638350 - 04/30/20 08:32 AM (9 months, 21 days ago)

The first two pics are garbage. The second pic has bacteria all around it, maybe a hot pour might save it. I believe you can get some decent transfers from the third pic.
Condensation is a bitch but with practice you can have little to none. You should pour at 140°F. Do you have a probe thermometer?
Switch to a better paper towel, I never seen significant scratches on my petri dishes just from wiping. I would still wrap right after inoculation. You could accidentally contaminate the dishes, if they are not wrapped.
So practice makes perfect. Definitely start new plates. You can try to save the others but the more practice and the more plates should give you a better chance at success.

OfflineMoldman
Stranger

Re: Identifying growth in agar, shocking disturbing images maybe [Re: FrankRhizo]
    #26638370 - 04/30/20 08:44 AM (9 months, 21 days ago)

Thanks for reply! Should I wait longer with third plate so it grows a bit bigger before transferring tissue to more plates? Or take few samples and keep original growing for further transfers?

OfflineBroken Veils
Something

Loc: Somewhere
    #26638438 - 04/30/20 09:28 AM (9 months, 21 days ago)

With contaminated plates the sooner you can transfer the better.  Transfer once there is enough myc to take a grain of rice sized transfer and repeat until you get a clean culture.  Take the transfer as far away from contams as possible.

OfflineFrankRhizo
Interdimensional Travel Agent
Male User Gallery
Loc: Subterranean Flag
Re: Identifying growth in agar, shocking disturbing images maybe [Re: Broken Veils]
    #26638472 - 04/30/20 09:48 AM (9 months, 21 days ago)

:whathesaid:

OfflineMoldman
Stranger

#26638712 - 04/30/20 12:28 PM (9 months, 21 days ago)

Excellent, got about 20 samples transferred. Been checking them already twice! I left dish from third picture alone to see how it grows, its already bigger than thumbprint. =)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started