Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMattu
I'm a teapot

Loc: West Virginia
Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars?
    #26631766 - 04/27/20 09:14 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I've lurked on this site on and off for about 6 months now, reading as much as possible to make sure that my first grow won't end up a fluke. The spore syringe arrived today and I'm setting the last steps into motion to prep the jars necessary for a mono grow.
I'm using WBS and plan on colonizing it with golden teacher spores - polyfill jar lids. The thing is that I want to speed up the process, so I've been using my dehydrator to speed up the drying of the WBS in order to load up the jars ASAP.

My question is: is it better to air-dry or will using a dehydrator on the WBS until crunchy not affect colonization in any negative way?
I'm thinking the water inside of the spore syringe should provide enough moisture content even if the WBS is well dried - but I'm getting doubts in the back of my head saying I should just let it sit on a tray until water content reduces by itself.

Input would be highly appreciated, as I'm too poor to afford another syringe anytime soon but can definitely afford cheap WBS to redo the spawning substrate.

Update 05/03/20:

Okay, so it's been nearly a week since inoculation and I can notice mycelial growth in all jars but one. A little bit of a slow grower but I'll give her all the time she needs. I also took leftover WBS and put it into small honey jars, closed off with a layer of foil and a layer of polyfill, and lastly a "lid" of foil again - for the sake of research. They're going along the best out of all jars, interestingly enough. I'll keep updating over the weeks.

--------------------

Life lived in absence of the psychedelic experience
upon which primordial shamanism is based,
is life trivialized
life denied
life enslaved to the ego
-T. McKenna

Edited by Mattu (05/03/20 12:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: Mattu] * 1
    #26631846 - 04/27/20 10:04 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Man it takes like 20 mins tops to dry wbs.

Or you could steam dry. Or strain for a few mins and put just enough verm to cover the bottom of the jar.

If you can’t handle waiting for grain to dry mushroom cult is not gonna go well.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Edited by A.k.a (04/27/20 10:05 AM)

OfflineWolfenstein
Learning & Yearning
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: Mattu]
    #26631858 - 04/27/20 10:10 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hey buddy, ime I've never used a dehydrator for wbs. I wash my seed a few times, simmer it till it's properly hydrated, lay it out on a flattened out garbage bag with a fan blowing on it till they're dry enough to be loaded up a PC'd.

It's this part of the prep that properly hydrates your grain. Yes the spore solution will "add moisture" but you're relying on the grain to carry the moisture needed for colonization.

I've definitely noticed my myc doesn't take off very good in grains that are too wet/too dry.

Personally, the above method is the one I've found to be the simplest and shortest while still having success.

...not sure if this helped at all :facepalm3:

Ak! Fucking beat me to it xD

--------------------
Anything and everything  I say, write, and/or imply is purely false and is only done so with the intent to enhance my acting career.

Molon Labe

As above, so below

Edited by Wolfenstein (04/27/20 10:11 AM)

InvisibleRoger Clemency
Smile
 User Gallery

Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: Wolfenstein] * 1
    #26631908 - 04/27/20 10:35 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely don’t dehydrate the grains. The whole point of soaking or simmering is to fill them with moisture that will keep the myc alive for several weeks in that jar.

--------------------
Sour grapes, sweet revenge
Heaven starts right where hell ends

OfflineMattu
I'm a teapot

Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: A.k.a]
    #26631917 - 04/27/20 10:42 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I have another tray that is air drying - and has been air drying for the past 6 hours. It's definitely not 20 minutes tops unless you're blowing with a fan on it, which I don't own.

I'm going to load up 4 jars with the dehydrated WBS and inoculate tonight - I'll load up the rest with air dried and how the results differentiate. Expecting weakened/stunned mycelium growth on the dehydrated jars, but we'll see. If moisture content in room is good enough then perhaps the myc will have enough to expand. I'll update in a week from now with info.

Wish me luck fellas cause Imma need it real badly 8' )

--------------------

is life trivialized
life denied
life enslaved to the ego
-T. McKenna

OfflineWolfenstein
Learning & Yearning
Male

#26631953 - 04/27/20 11:08 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

GL buddy! And yeah my grain only takes 15-20 mins to dry when they're straight outta the hot pot with a fan on em AND I stir em up every so often.

Just smoke a bowl or have a drink or smoke a stoge and fucking go for it!!

--------------------
Anything and everything  I say, write, and/or imply is purely false and is only done so with the intent to enhance my acting career.

Molon Labe

As above, so below

OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: Wolfenstein] * 1
    #26631996 - 04/27/20 11:31 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Can you afford agar?

If so you can turn a drop of that syringe into multiple plates then take a tissue sample from a grow

I had bad luck going syringe straight to grain

Also to answer your question, ive let wbs sit out overnight before loading and pcing with no issue

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

OfflineMattu
I'm a teapot

Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: Wolfenstein]
    #26632061 - 04/27/20 12:10 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hahah, thanks for your optimism dude - I really need that shit right now with all the stuff going on in my life  :thanx:

COVID got my life upside down and beside the fact that my family is barely hovering above poverty I also need to write the finals that end up deciding my career future.
This little mushroom cult project is one of the few things that has me looking forward to the future and I really hope fate and carefulness grant me success on this.

--------------------

is life trivialized
life denied
life enslaved to the ego
-T. McKenna

OfflineWolfenstein
Learning & Yearning
Male

#26632130 - 04/27/20 12:50 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

You sound like me from five years ago or so. Shit's not easy man I feel for ya.

Don't forget about yourself while you're doing you. I feel like we often stray off our paths and don't realize it till we're miserable and/or fucked. Don't lose yourself ❤

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+stick+figure+weight+of+sound&oq=youtube&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0j5.3692j0j4&client=ms-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#

Edited by Wolfenstein (04/27/20 12:59 PM)

OfflineMattu
I'm a teapot

Re: Dehydrator-Drying Spawning Substrate for WBS Jars? [Re: Wolfenstein]
    #26664583 - 05/11/20 01:50 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Dehydrated grains are performing a lot slower than air-dried grains - as most of you already mentioned. The mycelium probably has trouble expanding onto new grainlets as they do not hold sufficient moisture; so do not do the same thing I did if you're stupid enough. I have other jars prepared that are colonizing at least five times as fast and the mycelium is thick and healthy.
That pretty much ends the question for this one.

--------------------

is life trivialized
life denied
life enslaved to the ego
-T. McKenna

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

#26664613 - 05/11/20 02:11 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Well there ya go.

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order