Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Heating pads
    #2662586 - 05/11/04 12:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This isnt directed to anyone in specific,just a heads up to some of the noobs out there.I see at least 2 or 3 posts a week where people try to incubate their jars with a heating pad and they end up getting way to hot and drying out thier jars,if not worse.Although I too used a heating pad when I first started,I quickly learned it is not a very good way to do it.If you are going to do it this way here is the way I did it.I got a box big enough to hold my jars and placed a towel inside.Then I placed the jars on top,covered with another towel,and closed the lid.Then I place the whole thing on the heating pad,set to low.(remember its better to keep jars at a lower temp than a higher temp,high heat kills,cool temps just slow down)This way not only does the box act as a buffer,but the towel as well,and also the jars being inside the box help to trap the warm air.A small rubbermaid or steralite container would do the same.

No matter what you do dont just set your jars on a heating pad.Remember if they feel warm to the touch they are even warmer inside and too hot.86F isnt really hot at all.
So if at all possable try and make a tub in tub you wont regret it.And no one says you need big huge rubbermaids to make one.Just buy the smallest ones all your jars will fit into,and that the heater will fit underneath.
anyway this was just a heads up because I hate to see that someone messed up their jars this way,and I see it alot.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLoki
fluid druid
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Heating pads [Re: ButterNut]
    #2662674 - 05/11/04 12:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thermotstat fitted = key.
Cheapest thermostated heating out there is
an aquarium water heater.

you are right about bottom heat for sure, rasing them above the heat source and heating the air insidethe chamber is supperior for sure, good heads up :thumbup:

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #2662876 - 05/11/04 01:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a heating pad system right now. I thought i was being novel about a low cost way to improve the heat by putting a layer of the huge bubble rap between the jars and the heating pad inside of a box, but I guess not. They all still colonized fine, but they're not pinning... could that be the reason? :mushroom2:

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: Heating pads [Re: Hrethic]
    #2662907 - 05/11/04 01:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If yours is working fine im not knocking it,as I said I started this way too.This is meant for the people that arent taking the precautions needed,since you cant contrioll the amount of heat with a heating pad.Its very easy for the temperture to rise to 90F or more without you knowing.And as I said if the temperture sorounding the jar is 90F then inside the jar is probably even higher.My whole point is that if at all you can do a Tub in tub then do it,if not just be carefull.There are many many posts of people that didnt realize it untill it was too late and there jars were at 95+.Its easy to forget to check. :grin:

As far aas your cakes not pinning,what temperture are they at.you are suppose to drop the temperture doen about 10 degrees to73-76F.If its higher then that is at least part of the reason. :grin:

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
    #2663050 - 05/11/04 02:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, there have definitely been times when i checked my cakes on a hot day with the sun shining and found the temp at around 92... hehe. Good post though, definitely have to watch out for the temps a lot.

But yeah, i dropped it down and it's about at 72 or so now. And i have pins actually... but they just aren't doing anything. They've been there for almost 2 days now at the exact same size. :mushroom2:

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation