Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineComesATime62485
Stranger
RH and Storing Dried Fruits
    #26623101 - 04/23/20 08:21 PM (10 months, 1 day ago)

What should the Relative Humidity be in your dried mushroom container?

I have searched far and near for the answer to this question.  I can't find it here or on any other site.

I ask, because I bought a hygrometer/mason jar storage container from a vendor.  The instructions say to store your dried mushrooms between 55-60% HR for long term storage.  With the two desiccant packets in the jar, my fruits are at around 10-15% RH.

Intuition tells me, wouldn't you want it as low as possible?  But the vendor says to add moisture if not in the desired range of 55-60%.

I've harvested my first ever flushes and they are nicely cracker dry.  I don't know if 55-60% is too high, or if 10-15% is too low?

Can any of the good folk here comment?  If strain matters: B+.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebrocepheushyde
Stranger
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: ComesATime62485]
    #26623209 - 04/23/20 09:08 PM (10 months, 1 day ago)

I'm new to all this, brother, and I don't have any definitive answer for you, but when you air dry them, you want to do it in a room with low RH. The entire purpose is to wick the moisture out of the mushrooms, so rehydrating them seems counter-productive to long-term storage, as moisture invites contaminants. I would surmise from that concept that you would want your storage container to have the lowest possible RH.

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: brocepheushyde]
    #26623367 - 04/23/20 10:24 PM (10 months, 1 day ago)

There's another thread where this question was asked and answered. Like today.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

Offlinebrocepheushyde
Stranger
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: InfraredRick]
    #26623539 - 04/24/20 12:00 AM (10 months, 1 day ago)

Quote:

InfraredRick said:
There's another thread where this question was asked and answered. Like today.

That was spore print storage conditions.

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Underworld
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: brocepheushyde]
    #26625186 - 04/24/20 06:55 PM (10 months, 11 hours ago)

1) "Strain" doesn't matter for storage. All that matter is that they are actually cracker dry and stored correctly.

2) I think you are overcomplicating storage. Put your dried mushrooms in a dry, glass, air tight container with one or two food grade desiccant packs (depending on container size). Keep them in a relatively cool dark place. Try to keep your containers as full as possible (less room for oxygen that way). And that's it.

I've never heard someone measuring the RH inside their storage container

--------------------
“When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win.”

- Andrei Tarkovsy, Stalker

OfflineComesATime62485
Stranger
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #26625303 - 04/24/20 07:40 PM (10 months, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

brocepheushyde said:
I would surmise from that concept that you would want your storage container to have the lowest possible RH.

Thanks for replying!  I agree with that!

Quote:

Socrateshroom said:
1) "Strain" doesn't matter for storage. All that matter is that they are actually cracker dry and stored correctly.

2) I think you are overcomplicating storage. Put your dried mushrooms in a dry, glass, air tight container with one or two food grade desiccant packs (depending on container size). Keep them in a relatively cool dark place. Try to keep your containers as full as possible (less room for oxygen that way). And that's it.

I've never heard someone measuring the RH inside their storage container

Thank you so much for the reply also!  I had a feeling I was going to get an answer like this.  It reflects precisely on all the researching I have done so far. 

The vendor is well known and is on many lists.  Being a novice, I got duped into buying something which was not needed.  Don't know why they say 55-60%?  I'm not going to worry about it.  I ignored what they had said and was already doing what you said to do. I guess I'm out a few bucks.  But maybe someone else will buy this and wonder the same thing?  And here is the answer they are looking for!

Have a good weekend all!

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Underworld
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: ComesATime62485]
    #26625626 - 04/24/20 10:11 PM (10 months, 8 hours ago)

Along with my experience, I’ve done a ridiculous amount of research on an unbelievable amount of posts here when I was starting this hobby. In all that reading I’ve never come across RH when storing mushrooms. Seems absurd to me.

Don’t be hard on yourself, there are a lot of vendors out there that specialize in pushing nonsense. It’s not until you really dive into this hobby that you realize how little you need. All that fancy nonsense they sell is literally unnecessary and sometimes even detrimental.

The most important thing about storage, by far, is to get them cracker dry so they don’t rot.

Keep cruising these forums and make sure to check with trusted cultivators before you buy anything.

Welcome to the journey friend! :cheers:

--------------------
“When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win.”

- Andrei Tarkovsy, Stalker

OfflineComesATime62485
Stranger
Re: RH and Storing Dried Fruits [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #26626755 - 04/25/20 12:04 PM (9 months, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Socrateshroom said:

Welcome to the journey friend! :cheers:

:thanx:  :cheers:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hygrometer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started