Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats * 4
    #26612125 - 04/19/20 06:16 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

At first glance, her 8-foot vessel looks much like any other canoe — same oblong shape, same pointed ends, same ability to float on water.

But upon closer inspection, it's clearly anything but ordinary: Ayers' canoe is made out of mushrooms.
More specifically, her boat is made from mycelium, the dense, fibrous roots of the mushroom that typically live beneath the soil. Ayers, 28, a student at Central Community College in Columbus, Nebraska, even gave her creation a fitting name: "Myconoe."

Though Ayers has taken the canoe out for several quasi-recreational excursions — and plans to do so again as soon as the weather warms up in the rural part of Nebraska where she lives — her real goal with the eye-catching project is to raise broader awareness about mushrooms. She is part of a growing movement of mushroom advocates, people who believe these squishy, sometimes edible fungi can help solve some of our most pressing environmental problems.
In addition to their ability to break down harmful pollutants and chemicals, Ayers pointed out that mushrooms can be used for everything from household insulation to furniture to packaging, replacing plastics, Styrofoam and other materials that are hard to recycle and harmful to the environment."Mushrooms are here to help us — they're a gift," Ayers said. "There's so much we can do with them beyond just food; it's so limitless. They're our biggest ally for helping the environment."
Mushrooms aren't exactly mainstream, though citizen scientists like Ayers and some private companies hope to someday change that. The New York-based biotech company Ecovative Design, for instance, has made headlines for its mushroom-based packaging material, which has been deployed by companies such as Ikea and Dell. Mushrooms are being used at the local level to help clean up toxic debris and contaminated soil — a process known as mycoremediation — but so far have not been adopted on a larger scale.

Ayers never paid much attention to mushrooms until she enrolled in 2018 at the college in Columbus, a small city with around 23,000 residents. During her first semester, an English instructor challenged students to find and study a potential solution to climate change.
During her research, Ayers came across a 2013 documentary called "Super Fungi," which made the case for mushrooms as an environmental ally and highlighted some of their innovative uses.

Ayers was sold on the power of mushrooms instantly. Having learned that mycelium is buoyant and waterproof, she decided to try using it to create a boat.
"I always have very big ideas," she said. "So I see something and it's small and I just want to make it bigger and better. Since I'm from Nebraska, I love to fish. I've always wanted a boat. Why not just grow it?"

With a mini-grant from the college, Ayers got to work. She reached out to a mushroom company in nearby Grand Island for help, sharing her idea with owner Ash Gordon. He agreed to help immediately and offered her a summer internship so she could learn the ins and outs of fungi.
During the day, Ayers worked alongside Gordon at Nebraska Mushroom, doing lab work, creating spawn and harvesting, packaging and processing mushrooms.
After finishing their work for the day, the two turned their attention to the canoe project. They first built a wooden skeleton and a hammock-like structure to suspend the boat-shaped form in the air.

They next sandwiched the boat's skeleton with mushroom spawn and let nature take over. For two weeks, the fledgling canoe hung inside a special growing room in Gordon's facility, where temperatures ranged between 80 and 90 degrees and the humidity hovered between 90 to 100 percent. The last step in the process was to let the 100-pound boat dry in the Nebraska sun.

All told, Ayers said she spent $500 on spawn, tools and equipment to build the canoe.
Ayers, who displayed her "Myconoe" at the 2019 Nebraska State Fair, has taken the canoe out for three test floats, including one in which two people comfortably sat inside. The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time they take it out for a paddle.

www.msn.com-is-fungus-the-answer-to-climate-change

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: Buster_Brown] * 1
    #26616965 - 04/21/20 07:16 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome!

--------------------

InvisibleGordoTEK
Underground Researcher

Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: tyrannicalrex] * 2
    #26618116 - 04/21/20 03:40 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Love it, can we get a canoe TEK?

--------------------
GordoTEK

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: Buster_Brown] * 2
    #26618409 - 04/21/20 06:20 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Considering the efforts I've undergone to dunk a grow and keep it underwater, it should be no surprise that mycanoe floats as well as it does.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: sonoramo]
    #26619422 - 04/22/20 07:06 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Someone please do a My Canoe/My Pillow meme.

--------------------

OfflineDoorsandRooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: North of the South Flag
Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #26628255 - 04/25/20 09:45 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Excuse me, what!?  I think I'm in LOVE!  Give me an Indian burial at sea in one of THESE!

--------------------

"Doors are a waste of time"  Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in "The Doors"

"Fungi are a living organism that is much more closely related to mammals such as humans, than to plants. People need to quit looking at mycelium as a different kind of plant, which it isn't. Mycelium has been shown to have circadian rhythms just like mammals"  - RR

OfflineAz88
Stranger
Loc: Texas Flag
Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: DoorsandRooms]
    #26648787 - 05/04/20 05:55 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

That’s insane!!

Offlinemeepins
Stranger

Re: The boat is still alive, which means it fruits — grows mushrooms — each time it floats [Re: Az88]
    #26706900 - 05/30/20 10:31 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

So cool :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order