Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread
    #26616602 - 04/20/20 11:39 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Always wished I saw more activity in this subforum, so I designate this thread as the place of ongoing general DIY/home improvement discussion.

Below I'll post what I've been working on/planning lately to get the ball rolling. Any random contributions are welcome, whether looking for advice or showing off your projects.

Recently made some fire poi, pretty simple really, just buy some kevlar wicks and roll em up around a pipe/screw them into pipe and attach to chain. In the end I spent a little more on parts than I would have on a retail pair but maybe mine are better quality at least. Wanna make some sparkler poi sometime, the kind with charcoal not steel wool. Just a metal cage on a chain.

Had some people driving by my house at 3 AM recently (my driveway is hella long, I think they were definitely looking for stuff to steal) so now I want to build some sort of driveway gate, or a Bollard with a hinge so it can be raised/lowered as needed to prevent vehicle entry. Originally I was thinking of just a padlocked metal cable to block vehicle entry, but I'm guessing boltcutters would make short work of that. But, I guess boltcutters would probably make short work of a padlock too huh? Hmmm, any ideas on how to lock a bollard/gate in place with something that can't be cut easily? Maybe add a sign that informs them their license plate is on camera, even though it isn't in reality.
            Bollards are kinda pricey so I'm thinkin I'll just use some old stove pipe and attach a hinge to it. Maybe fill it with concrete or something to strengthen it, paint over the outside with metal paint to prevent rust. But how to connect it to the ground...maybe some concrete with metal embedded in it to connect my makeshift bollard to it. I've never done concrete before. Would be nice to add a concrete slab in my shop so I could jack up my car in a less sketchy way.

Kinda want to build a cold frame to put cacti/misc in over the winter. Saw this guy on ebay who grows monster cacti in a greenhouse in a temperate climate similar to mine and it got me thinkin about it. Are cold frames just a box with a glass roof? If that's all it is you'd think shit inside would still freeze. Probably more work than its worth though.

Also painting my OSB walls. When you read internet articles about painting OSB they tell you to do stupid shit and make it sound like it takes way more paint/work than it does. But all the forummers concur that kilz brand primer makes short work of it, and after today I agree. Even one coat of that primer and my walls are already looking decent, with some paint on top it'll be a-okay. You don't have to sand or do any tedious shit, just prime and paint.

Replacement shelves for fridges are oddly expensive, so I just bought some wire shelving and cut it to size. boo ya.

Made a 'Canjo' with just a wood board, some garden wire, and a metal coffee can. Sounds surprisingly cool for how ghetto it is. Love the idea of making musical instruments. A Lyre might be fun next.

Been on a real fruit growing kick. Bought some plum and pear trees, strawberry plants, and have been transplanting tons of salmonberry/thimbleberry/elderberry/snakeberry plants to locations where they'll produce more fruit. Now I'm like fuck it why not get raspberries, blueberries, grapes, everything I can get my hands on. Gonna make some delicious jam when the time comes, and wine/cider.

Then I'm on the verge of starting to add indoor plumbing to my place. Sink, tankless water heater, shower. I want to get started but feel like I should have my plumber grandpa come check out my situation and advise me before I dive in.

But enough about me, what have you made/planned recently?

Edited by Psilosopherr (04/20/20 11:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26689936 - 05/23/20 08:13 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm an electrician so I have lots of plans on changing out all of my old light fixtures to more modern ones.  Lots of recessed cans, ceiling fans, switches, receptacles all need to be refreshed.  I work on very large commercial projects and you'd be blown away at the things contractors throw away.  I get lots of material for free.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: norml840] * 1
    #26690181 - 05/23/20 11:32 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

oh right on, thats what my dad used to do for a port/airport. He got me a subpanel for free from work. still haven't gotten around to hooking a water heater up to it of course

I need to set up like a big floodlight for my front yard and some garage lighting. Maybe a trail of solar lights leading to my duck coop.

Edited by Psilosopherr (05/23/20 01:31 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #26709633 - 05/31/20 05:31 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Here's some before / after pics of what I did last summer...

Actually the roof I did a few years ago, the rest was all done last summer.  Removed old siding and deck, 2 new doors, 8 windows, and new siding.  It seemed impossible but really wasn't that bad.  I didn't have any previous experience.

This summer I gotta build a new deck and finish the insides of the new windows.  Somehow it seems daunting... Never done trim work either.  :confused:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Forrester]
    #26714780 - 06/02/20 06:08 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

ahh very nice, it must've felt great to get that done. Looks much better

For the siding/roofing did you essentially just pry all the old wood/shingles off and then nail new ones in place? I'm guessing you put a sealant over your nail holes for the roof.

I've never done a deck either..I could see that being daunting. I suppose whatever you do its all just cuttin wood and screwing it together though eh? So long as you don't use half rotten wood like my neighbors, I swear they're trying to lure people to their deaths with their deck

I think for a driveway gate I'm just going to drive some metal fence posts into either side of the driveway and attach the chain to it. I was definitely over complicating that one in my head.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr] * 2
    #26715870 - 06/03/20 05:58 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I just got one of those large crowbars and went to town :lol:  Once you start prying, the wood siding pieces above where you are prying all start to pop out too.  Comes off in large chunks if you're lucky.  Took less than an hour or two to do each side (removal).  The vinyl siding is easy to install too once you learn the process, just a lot of up and down on ladders.

On the roof, you don't need to use any sealant, the top half of the shingle pieces where the nails go have something like that already, then it gets covered up by the next shingle.  Only thing you have to really seal is the flashing around the chimney, which I had to do like 3 times cause it shrinks. 

All in all not bad though.  I overcomplicate everything in my head, then when I go to actually do it it turns out a lot easier than I thought lol

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26719398 - 06/04/20 02:54 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Same. The first time I was putting a window frame together I got soo confused and had to force myself to just nail some boards up on intuition and boom, four pieces of wood in a square, so simple

Wish my exterior could be one solid color like yours, my walls are re-used sheet metal that're four different colors. I'm guessing the only efficient way to paint it would be spraying it with an air compressor or whatever it is that people do. That just sounds like a huge mess. Not worth the money anyway.

Workin on my second polypore mask right now, maybe I'll put up a pic if it turns out decent. For my first one I pretty much just found a polypore I could see a face in, drilled the eye holes and put some fake sparkly gems in the eye holes. Simple but I love it

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: Psilosopherr] * 2
    #26726294 - 06/07/20 11:09 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Doing some interior window finishing today.

Before:

After:

Just gotta paint now.  You can do these really simple without being a finishing carpenter and they still look good.  Most of the rounded styles of trim they sell look dated nowadays anyway...

--------------------
-------------------

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
    #26726411 - 06/07/20 11:59 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

That's crazy good.  ESPECIALLY since you have no experience!  You're a natural craftsman

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: norml840]
    #26726525 - 06/07/20 12:40 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks!  necessity is the best teacher sometimes :lol:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
    #26750321 - 06/16/20 11:44 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Forrester your place looks killer! How much did you spend in materials? I'm going to paint my place this summer.

Just moved into a new place several months ago. I'm planning on building a 4 lighter garden and a cheese celler in the basement and a butcher shop in the garage. For now I built a beer chute. From my kitchen under the stairs where my dogs cave is down to the basement. Start small haha.

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: GreenHorns]
    #26762361 - 06/21/20 06:41 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

haha, that's awesome!  Being able to customize your own place is the funnest :grin:

I think the roofing was like $3000, the siding was around $1800 I think, windows were only about $1000, and maybe another $600 for wood re-doing all the finishing and trim work on the insides of windows and doors.  That's a rough guess from memory, but includes the cost of all the tools I needed.

If we are lucky enough to even be able to get pressure treated wood (hard right now), the deck will only be $1500.  We were quoted like $10g last year to get a deck built, eesh.  Contractors are giant rip-off artists.

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26765164 - 06/21/20 06:13 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

:yowza: Man thats pricey.

We've got this business in town that sells recycled building materials: used windows, wood, hardware, etc. Got my windows for next to nothing there, maybe you've got a similar place near you, for the future

But I'm a cheap SOB and I've never bought wood in such quantities so maybe thats not so expensive, just those windows jumped out at me.

Wish I had some before/after shots of my place and the room I added but I think they've all been lost to my ex. Got some nice address signs painted up and installed recently so delivery people will finally be able to find there way down my long forked driveway

Edited by Psilosopherr (06/21/20 09:18 PM)

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26774528 - 06/22/20 03:20 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

We have 8 windows, and it was like $1000 TOTAL, that's actually really cheap for windows.  They're Crystal, one of the cheapest ones I know of, nothing like the expensive Andersen and others you get at home depot and the like.

Yeah it's been a bit of money into it all, but it's all gonna be worth it when we flip the place in a couple months :whoo:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26776626 - 06/23/20 12:31 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

ha yeah 1k per window would be nutter butters. mine were 20/per but I'm sure yours were much nicer

Ooh I didn't realize you were flipping it, bravo :goodluck:

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

#26777747 - 06/23/20 08:30 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah dude best of luck with the flip!

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26799515 - 07/02/20 02:25 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

throw up some pics if you can, I haven't done a kitchen yet!

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

#26803006 - 07/04/20 08:07 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Starting a deck this weekend.  The chickens are helping :lol:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

#26803084 - 07/04/20 08:47 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Nice! Was there a deck before? Always wanted a few chickens to have some for fresh eggs. Looks like a cool quiet spot you have.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Official DIY / Home Improvement Thread [Re: GreenHorns]
    #26803088 - 07/04/20 08:48 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Have you guys installed a pot belly stove or similar? I'm thinking I'd really like one to offset my electric bill in the winter.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
2,932 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.