Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering?
    #2661576 - 05/11/04 12:10 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

From my experiences with mescaline, and a low dose of mushrooms, I feel that these psychadelics only change one's consciousness and refocus it, but don't really expand it. In regards to weed, it is the one drug I have used that makes my consciousness feel more vivid and bigger, but it also makes my thoughts realy stupid.
I'm wondering if higher amounts of mushrooms, or LSD would create more of a 'mind expanding' effect. Perhaps it is just the mind that is using the drugs that decides this.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2661598 - 05/11/04 12:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think ur looking at it all wrong when u describe what you think "mind expanding" really is.

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #2661648 - 05/11/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

the psychedelics will only take you as far as you let them... if you just take them and sit there staring at a wall expecting enlightenment youll be sadly mistaken .. psychedelics can be great mind expanding tools... but they're just that, a catalyst for mind expansion... YOU HAVE to take the initiative with them and feed your brain...... knowledge = mind expansion

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

#2661709 - 05/11/04 01:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I can't answer that without being able to measure the mind.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#2662727 - 05/11/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

One could say psychadelics are mind expanding in the sense that they cause one to perceive a less filtered reality.

InvisibleChronic7
    #2662911 - 05/11/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The best thing for "mind expanding" as you put it, is reading books and doing excercise, you cant use drugs to better yourself only enjoy yourself.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Divided_Sky] * 2
    #2662912 - 05/11/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Words will never do justice to the experience, so choosing between "altering" and "expanding" is almost a moot point...tripping does EVERYTHING to your brain, and how you change is up to what you take out of the experience entirely...in my opinion, at least.
A good friend of mine had his mind blown open on his one and only mushroom experience, and it didn't change him at all, it's just a crazy day he remembers having, and he was tripping his face off...so it really depends on the person...I dunno.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Viveka]
    #2662933 - 05/11/04 11:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

EvilEye? said:
One could say psychadelics are mind expanding in the sense that they cause one to perceive a less filtered reality.

This would be among my main interpretations of the experience.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offlineobfuscatelesol
journeyman
    #2665189 - 05/11/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I've found my trips have me able to really detach from my ego and look at the world from a "zoomed out" more expanded view. Also, right when the peak hits, usually on target at 45 minutes after ingestion, I get a sensation that my brain is actually opening or widening. It's a feeling inside of my head and lasts throughout the trip, and I can tell when I'm really coming down when that feeling goes away.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#2666246 - 05/11/04 11:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

to me, it seems as though psychedelics suppress the more conscious levels of thought, having you tap into the underworkings of your mind. At least as near as I can tell... if you consider that expansion, the experiencing of the deeper thoughts in your head, then yeah, just arguing semmantics really ....

--------------------

OfflineNecropolis
Undercover Traffic Cop
    #25490167 - 09/26/18 10:07 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

They're expanding to a point. It also depends on the person. Some people are just dolts and their minds will never expand no matter how hard they try, or how hard anyone else tries.

OfflineGrey6Bard
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Necropolis]
    #25490200 - 09/26/18 10:27 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I say they’re both. Alters and expands it but it’s justy the key or the tool..

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Grey6Bard]
    #25490447 - 09/26/18 12:28 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Alters but, the way it alters can be viewed as expansion.

sensation and memory flow into consciousness and fade away.

on psychedelics they fade more slowly so the contents of mind becomes thicker or more resonant, the passage of time is harder to follow, so it seems to flow differently; and the sense of space is different - unfaded geometries bunch up, as any moment may have glances in several directions still resonating and being interpreted as related but strange 3-d spaces that are much grander than possible, simply as the brain catches up to the moment while still processing lingering sensations/views/ideas.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineSabnock
Be Your Own Shaman
Male

Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #25490603 - 09/26/18 01:40 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Oral DMT doesn't seem like a drug or alteration to me, i mean you can no doubt be altered, but it feels natural, normal, original, familiar, DMT feels more like a neuromodulator/neurotransmitter that's normal/natural to the body rather than a drug, ime.

--------------------

OfflineAuroraBorealis88
Stranger

Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Chronic7]
    #25490618 - 09/26/18 01:46 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chronic7 said:
The best thing for "mind expanding" as you put it, is reading books and doing excercise, you cant use drugs to better yourself only enjoy yourself.

:retawed:

OnlineBardy
Male

Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: AuroraBorealis88]
    #25491247 - 09/26/18 06:06 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with chronic7.
Also, you need to define “mind expanding” before any of us can really talk about it, otherwise we don’t really know if we all agree on what “mind expanding” means.

Phencyclidine has a good point about needing to measure whatever it is to really be able to know anything about it.

OfflineLincolnCityTripper
Mushroom Maniac
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Infrared]
    #25491333 - 09/26/18 06:40 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Infrared said:
the psychedelics will only take you as far as you let them... if you just take them and sit there staring at a wall expecting enlightenment youll be sadly mistaken .. psychedelics can be great mind expanding tools... but they're just that, a catalyst for mind expansion... YOU HAVE to take the initiative with them and feed your brain...... knowledge = mind expansion

:whathesaid:
Well said i couldn't have said it better my self :thumbup:
It is what you make it and I for one can definitely tell you LSD, mushrooms and ayahuasca have definitely expanded my mind.
Particularly LSD it has changed and help my life in so many different ways i cant even begin to explain. The mind expansion part is only one of the things its done for me but it has expanded my mind into a higher concept of thinking to areas i never would have gone without its power. Its truly a medicine in many different ways for me.
I:inlove3::lsdabc:

OfflineCountHTML
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Maine
Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: LincolnCityTripper]
    #25491828 - 09/26/18 10:23 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Psychedelics in particular only work with what you’ve got. I’d say they alter, but if you have a lot of interesting ideas floating around (or have an interesting mind in general) some pretty interesting creations can come from it. I suppose you can call this expansion. Not to mention, one powerful psychedelic experience can radically alter one’s direction in life by influencing subsequent decisions. Like travel, it establishes a broader context.

Two people shake the snow globe, it looks different for each of them. Drugs and art seem to mix well but only for artists.

OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: CountHTML]
    #25491908 - 09/26/18 11:02 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

You can't use drugs to better yourself...?

You're insane.

Expand your mind, I woukd say so.

Your mind is connected in ways that it normally isn't and to a much stronger degree than normal.

Completely new thoughts can and will emerge that before never seemed possible.

Seems you can learn more in a psychedelic experience than some do in a lifetime.

Knowledge is mind expansion?

I'm not so sure.

Direct experience is a better teacher than the accumulation of knowledge.

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Are drugs really mind expanding, or just altering? [Re: Enkidu]
    #25491925 - 09/26/18 11:20 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Of course one can use drugs to better themselves. Many people here will share anecdotes about how psychedelics saved them from addiction, about how they have improved their relationship with themselves as well as others, about how they have brought about a greater perception which has in turn brought them humility and more contentment in life.

The one thing psychedelics will not do though is all the work, they are just a tool. A hammer left on a shelf is just a hammer, not a house. They aren't a free ride to getting "woke", the real work still needs to be done by the journeyman.

Another thing they do is provide the right questions... it can be harder to find the answers if you didn't realise the questions before.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order