Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDr3
Stranger
 User Gallery

Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice
    #26613434 - 04/19/20 05:17 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hi folks, I've been looking to get into edibles. I've read Stamet's books during the past weeks. Firstly I should say I live in a zone  between "9 and 10", winters are pretty mild rarely going under 0ยบ, climate is usually very temperate. Humidity is always very very high.

I am about to get started with outdoor beds, since I got a fair supply of sawdust and chips. I have grown cubes succesfully so I got the basics down.

I need to buy the inoculum, so to speak, so I was wondering what would be best, either wood pellets or oak sawdust spawn.

Pellets are suited for stumps, but I am adamant I wanna grow beds. Spawn, on the other hand, would  be spawned to wood chip beds directly. However, I was thinking about preparing more spawn myself with sawdust and some grain and/or chips, sterilize and inoculate and then use my spawn from there.

Problem is I don't feel very confident inoculating sterilized sawdust/chips with either pellets or sawdust spawn bag ^^ will this work?

Just wondering if anybody has some answers, or maybe you find this are weird questions :laugh:

PD: planning on growing Shiitake and Blue Oyster, good for my climate and noob friendly from what I hear.

Thanks for your backup as always.

Edited by Dr3 (04/19/20 05:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebrindle foxx
Doing it my way
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice [Re: Dr3] * 1
    #26613593 - 04/19/20 06:49 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hey good to see ya buddy

OfflineDr3
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice [Re: brindle foxx]
    #26619335 - 04/22/20 05:26 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

no ideas? ; (

InvisibleJawn876
 User Gallery
Re: Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice [Re: Dr3]
    #26621081 - 04/22/20 09:28 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

If your heart is set on doing beds, I recommend Stropharia rugosoannulata, commonly known as king stropharia, wine caps, garden giant etc. They do well in mulched beds, can last several seasons, and can be grown under your other garden crops.
Oysters and shiitake grow in nature from logs so they are usually cultivated in a simulated log (straw or sawdust bag, bucket,...) so I personally dont think bed style cultivation is ideal for either one. I cant think of a time where I have seen someone have fruits with shiitake in a bed but I think oysters might give you a handful of fruits. both are probably good for your soil health whether you get fruits or not
Im sorry but Im not sure I understand your spawn question. I don't recommended to expand commercial sawdust spawn because you dont know the history but you could probably get away with it with those species. There are many instructions for how to make your own spawn on this website if thats what you want to do. Hope this helps!

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice [Re: Jawn876]
    #26621285 - 04/23/20 12:36 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Jawn876 said:
I don't recommend expanding commercial sawdust spawn because you don't know the history but you could probably get away with it with those species. There are many instructions for how to make your own spawn on this website if that's what you want to do. Hope this helps!

This one has got me confused!! Commercial spawn is what you want to expand. As long as he makes a master slant he will be fine. More than likely he will never have to buy that strain again if he makes a master slant. Unless he ruins it somehow.

OfflineDr3
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #26624159 - 04/24/20 08:39 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback. I am buying wood pellets with myc, which are intented to plug into stumps and/or logs. My question was whether these pellets can be used to inoc my own spawn, which I've never made before but there are  a number of TEKS available and from what I gather it is a matter of sterilizing sawdust+chips+some grains and follow sterile procedures.

Then I will inoc the beds with my own spawn. I've never made slants before, I was planning on transferring some growth to agar or possibly clone some fruits later. Eventually I'll have to get into slants I suppose. It is one of my mid term improvement goals. Looks a bit advanced though, but since I've got this far...

Cheers.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Getting started into Gourmet - could use some advice [Re: Dr3] * 1
    #26625065 - 04/24/20 03:42 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

My advice is to not worry too much about it and jump in with both feet. It may sound advanced but it really is not. The worst that can happen is you have to start over. Either way, you will learn from the experience. If you are asking if you can make grain spawn from sawdust spawn without a problem. The answer is yes. Or in other words, you can use whatever spawn you have to make whatever spawn you want to use. The mycelium will just transfer over to whatever it is that you decide to use.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags