Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous #1

Ever been homeless before?
    #26600183 - 04/14/20 11:10 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I'm curious to how you became like that?

I'm even more curious to how to managed the lifestyle, eg how you showered, fed yourself slept ect. What about money? Did you have any? Any community? I see these tent cities on tv and can't help but to think there has to be some sort of community atmosphere.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous #2

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #1] * 4
    #26600435 - 04/14/20 12:55 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Best years of my life tbh, none of the existential dread that a 9-5, paying rent etc. brings. ultimate freedom one day at a time. living off natural resources like fishing, foraging and occasional charity from friends. Being homeless isn't always how it looks from the outside and when you minimalize to that extent it can be liberating. You really don't need half the shit most people think they need. But the persons age, location and cognitive attitude are factors

Anonymous #3

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #2] * 2
    #26602047 - 04/15/20 03:56 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I have often thought if I was homeless I would go and try and live in nature. I’m grateful I’m not homeless but I often thought it kinda sounds fun.

Anonymous #4

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #1] * 2
    #26610581 - 04/18/20 01:34 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I have. I was homeless because I caught my girlfriend cheating on me and didn't want to live in the apartment anymore. I was living in my car for about 2 weeks or so. I still had a job.

It wasn't that bad but Id definitely wouldn't want to do it for a long time.

Anonymous #5

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #1] * 1
    #26611657 - 04/18/20 10:10 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

When my friend was kicked out of his parents home for smoking weed, I encouraged him to move into my apartment. His doctor diagnosed him wih schizophrenia, and helped him get SSI benefits. The smoke shop i worked at went out of business, abd I was out of a job. He took on paying the rent, however, the apt manager sent me notice that I couldn't have roommates who were not on the lease. When he applied for it, he was denied. So they said he had to be out in 3 days or the eviction would begin. I had fallen in love with him by then, and couldn't fathom living there without him. Whatever my life held, I wanted him there.

We decided to cut my mattress down to size and live in my Scion XD.
That lasted six weeks, before I crashed it. That happened a week after I decided to reduce my insurance to the basic minimum, which didn't reimburse me for my car's damage.

We both had suffered from suicidal depression for about five years prior, but it was very bad at this point, and our relationship was difficult. He had too little hope to even want to find an apartment, so we didn't.

I sold the car, and invested some of the money into camping gear. We spent the next 9 months urban camping around the town we grew up in: Roseville, California.

We slept behind vacant stores and small tracts of woods around bike trails. We washed ourselves in park bathroom sinks, and generally walked to grocery stores every day for our food. It was a safe area for the most part. Other homeless locals befriended us, and we were a nice community. I remember this old man, Melvin. He had only a few sparse teeth and carried everything he owned in a huge sack on his back. He always asked everyone if there was anything we needed. Melvin would have spent his last dollar on a beer to split with you if you were down.

I eventually got pregnant, and shit got real fast. We started looking into all our options.

There's a program for homeless families out there called HomeStart. You give them whatever money you have and control over all your bank accounts, and in return you get to live in their complex of 200sq/ft studios. They claimed to help you save your money, that they only charge 'fair rent' + expenses from your bank account. If you wanted to buy something, it was up to their discretion, and they decided how much of your own money they would give your family for food each week. The gates were always locked, and you would have to ask permission to leave. If you did not cooperate fully with their rules or wishes, like if you had five dollars stashed in your purse for example, you would be kicked out without a minutes notice. Then you would have to wait days or weeks before they would dump all of your belongings in he dumpster out back, and sometimes a month before they would return your money, if at all. (Please look up reviews for Homestart in Roseville CA. I cannot even fathom how they are still in business.)

Next door to homestart was an old apartment with cheap rent, so we moved in there. Many times i would walk past the homestart dumpster and see it overflowing with someones clothing and kids toys. The bitch who ran homestart would never put the items out if the family was outside waiting for them. Homeless and destitute people would scour that dumpster daily, so most people who failed homestart never got their stuff back...

So, we finally found a place to rent. That was six years ago. Our mental wounds healed and we eventually moved to Michigan, where we now own a three bedroom house. And our kid is a genius. So, things got better for us eventually.

I have a lot of other stories from when i was homeless. Stories of kindness, of fun, of fear, of desperation, and of police brutality. I hadn't intended on ranting off on a tangent, but when I think about that time, my heart breaks for all the vulnerable families that were victimized by the 'charitable organization' called HomeStart.

Anonymous #6

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #5] * 1
    #26611689 - 04/18/20 10:23 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I was 15, just got off house arrest. My mom disappeared on a herion/meth bender and didn’t come home for several months. My probation officer helped get me emancipated. So I could find work, but no one wanted to hire a 15yo felon. House ended up getting foreclosed and I was on the streets. Most the time I’d hang out downtown, I only ate once or twice a week so that wasn’t a big change for me. Trying to find spots to sleep was interesting. Sometimes a friend would let me crash at their place for a few days before their parents would run
Me off. Stayed at one friends house for about two months, they were pretty poor too. In that two months I lived off a box of saltine crackers and Dorothy linch dressing. Eventually I got really sick with mono and after a month of being sick some aunt I never met insisted I move in with her, she tracked down my mom and she moved in too. Her and my probation officer got me back into a school for drop outs  and I stayed with her for 6 months or so until..... I don’t even know. Not sure what happened from there.... that time periods blank. Think I ended up in a buddies basement or something

-D3monic

Anonymous #7

#26611799 - 04/18/20 11:50 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, sure. I got fucked by someone who rented me a place they didn't actually own, then I got thrown out when the real owner found out. Lost a couple thousand in the process. I was about 18 at the time. Being homeless sucks ass, and anyone who tells you different is a liar. Eventually I got out of that shit through hard work.

Anonymous #8

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #26633386 - 04/28/20 01:12 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

i ran away from home one time but didnt get far.. i was sleeping in the parking for a dj store.. the guy who worked there was rly nice.. he got me food and a jacket and let me hang out with him when he was working.. it was better than home but i had to go back

Anonymous #9

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #5]
    #26640442 - 05/01/20 03:54 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Anon 5, what a bloody brilliant outcome. You must have real resilience and tenacity. Thanks for sharing. It's given me fuzzies on a shit night.

Edited by Anonymous (05/01/20 03:55 AM)

Anonymous #5

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #9]
    #26644968 - 05/03/20 01:14 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #9 said:
Anon 5, what a bloody brilliant outcome. You must have real resilience and tenacity. Thanks for sharing. It's given me fuzzies on a shit night.

Im glad to hear some fuzzies came of it.

Anonymous #5

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #9] * 1
    #26645026 - 05/03/20 01:52 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I never begged or held up a sign or asked for handouts, but people would sometimes stop and give us things like food, cash, or clothing. It was humbling, and did much to help restore my faith in humanity.

And some of the quirkiest people you will ever meet are homeless. I remember being given a huge box of probably 50 fiber bars. I offered a bunch to a gaunt looking homeless bro, to which he did not reply. He just stared off, lost in his own reveries. Later, in the middle of the night, he approached the dumpster enclosure we were camping in and from outside proceeded to take a tin can and scrape it into the asphalt in circles, in much the same motion one uses the eraser on a pencil. It was a horribly loud grinding sound that seemed to go on a while. Then, he stops and loudly asks us, "Vegetables?"

Or David, the hilariously creepy dude that used to stop joggers with the line "Excuse me, Mam. Don't go over there. Do NOT go over that way; thats where I pooped."

Lot of wild cards in the homeless community.

Anonymous #10

#26648902 - 05/04/20 06:55 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Luckily, no. I couldn’t imagine the struggle.

Anonymous #11

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #10] * 1
    #26649075 - 05/04/20 08:09 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I think being homeless with covid 19 would really suck. Can you imagine not being able to get food or medicine? What the fuck is wrong with this country? Why do people think "a politician out there cares about me"?

Wow do they seem like they care? Cannot have a job. Cannot get a test kit. Fuck. Fuck the little wanna be's too. Think of the homeless. Remove the cock from the mouth.

If people care they will go pick up homeless people in their car and buy them lunch then take them to get a covid 19 test. Anything less is hard fronting. A hard front. Dude this is real talk

Anonymous #1

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #11]
    #26654661 - 05/07/20 08:30 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting perspectives coming out. I wasn't expecting people to say that living homeless was some of the best years fo their life.

A new guy started at my work about the same time i made this thread. I was talking to him last week and leant that he'd actually lived homeless for about six months out of his van. He told me how he used to dumpster dive and everything. Has anyne been dumpster diving before. I'm going to ask the guy to take me on a dumpster diving once this whole virus shit clears up.

Anonymous #5

#26655583 - 05/07/20 04:57 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #1 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting perspectives coming out. I wasn't expecting people to say that living homeless was some of the best years fo their life.

A new guy started at my work about the same time i made this thread. I was talking to him last week and leant that he'd actually lived homeless for about six months out of his van. He told me how he used to dumpster dive and everything. Has anyne been dumpster diving before. I'm going to ask the guy to take me on a dumpster diving once this whole virus shit clears up.

I wouldn't wait for the pandemic to be over. Just wear a couple layers of gloves and a mask, and waterproof boots for certain. Let your nose guide you away from the diapers and dead animals. One technique is to move the garbage bags to one side of the dumpster, and dump them out one by one on the other side. Be prepared to see the largest cockroaches ever, and to have sticky hands and clothes.

Most stores have a certain day of the week that merchandise is thrown out, usually the day before trash day. Rei, big lots, rite aid, dollar store, and many other stores will throw out whole boxes of expired food/candy and returned products. Sometimes the dumpsters around high-end thrift shops will have some good stuff.

Some stores, like Walgreens and Big Lots are assholes who will go out of their way to ensure they destroy everything first, but others will just throw it in the dumpster and call it done.

Best finds: large tower speaker, 30lb box of party peanut mix trays, a whole unopened box of payday bars, an unopened bottle of monk-crafted ale, unopened Mona Vie, golden berry powder, countless bags of dollar store candy, fishing gear, 30 gallons of milk that was still quite cold, a new bike, and a whole assortment of essential oil vials.

Traded most of it to a meth head friend for weed who would then ride it to all his buddies and sell it for more. Sometimes I would leave the food on my neighbors doorstep, because they were often struggling too.

Good luck!

Anonymous #11

#26656425 - 05/08/20 01:01 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

The greatest gift you can give to a homeless man is to just suck his cock right then and there. I guarantee you his hot Asian wife is never going to do this for him ever again after he ends up on the street sleeping on pavement and smelling like shit. If you suck fucking suck the fuck out of him you will be reminding him of the life he will never have again.

Anonymous #5

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #11] * 1
    #26656465 - 05/08/20 01:33 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous #11 said:
Remove the cock from the mouth.

Quote:

Anonymous #11 said:
just suck his cock right then and there.

Well, which is it?!

Edited by Anonymous (05/08/20 11:28 AM)

Anonymous #11

#26657490 - 05/08/20 01:38 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

A man would have a hard time making a choice with such confusing instructions. My prayers be with you during these hard times of such difficult decision my brother.

Anonymous #12

Re: Ever been homeless before? [Re: Anonymous #11]
    #26661279 - 05/10/20 12:24 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I became homeless by choice. Came from a loving family, parents still married, went to a 4 year college, ETC. Drug addiction led to me to choose drugs over everything else.

I chose to run the streets and get high for multiple years rather than clean up.

I'm like a chameleon, I blend in wherever I am. I fit in whether I'm in a Jail, under a bridge shooting heroin, or at the Ritz Carlton having a cocktail. I chose the first two for a long time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds