Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Implementation of Libertarian Policies...
    #2660701 - 05/10/04 08:09 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've been thinking of late how Libertarian principles could be effectively implemented. I realize that should the American populace decide they want government to return to its constitutional boundaries it would be a gradual change with Libertarians slowly getting elected to office. I'm wondering, however, would Libertarian policies implemented one at a time be at all efficacious? A broad example: If welfare were to be abolished tommorow with everything else government does today remaining(foreign aid, etc.) how would some people get by...A widow with multiple children for instance, without welfare, might be completely fucked. I personally feel that under a completely Libertarian government, people allowed to keep all the money they have earned would glady donate of their own volition to charities that would aid in such a situation. Granting only one policy shift such as the abolition of welfare, I cannot see how people would be gaining enough in income to keep up with those who currently depend on the welfare system. I'd be glad to clarify more if I didn't come across clear(great chance I didn't). This should be a good starting point though.

?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Implementation of Libertarian Policies... [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2660889 - 05/10/04 08:49 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Things like welfare should not be abolished all at once, but rather be gradually phased out over a number of years(I might actually be willing to keep welfare available to those with handicaps which prevent them from being able to work). I also feel that welfare should not be phased out until we correct some of the injustices which keep the the poor from being able to escape poverty. Income tax, along with many other taxes, should be phased out as a Land Value Tax is phased in.

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion