Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleeasyskunkin

flies control ?
    #2659915 - 05/10/04 05:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hello I noticed in my FOAF grow room today some small flies that could well be like these described in TMC, and in the same time there is a lot of buttons that abort and whose stem get all blueish (sorry I don't have a camera...), and also a few normal sized mushrooms get blue under the top the cap,is it normal or I shouldn't eat these ? they grow on one casing wich shows some yellow/cinnamon color on the overlaid parts, could be this "Cinnamon Brown Mold ? Chromelosporium fulva (Peziza ostrachoderma)" from the FAQ ? (Yes I read the faq and also many times the contam chapter in TMC but still I don't know exactly what's going on for lack of experience and expensive equipment...)
So to resume :
- is there a simple and cheap way to get rid of these flies ?
- is the casing with yellow color on the overlaid parts good to throw ?
- what is the cause of these buttons whose stem turns blueish and die ?
- what is the cause of the blueish color under the top of the cap in adult mushrooms and are they safe to eat ?
thanks for any help here !

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.
Voltaire ; Remarques sur les pensées de Pascal (1728)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: flies control ? [Re: easyskunkin]
    #2660124 - 05/10/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Make sure the flies are not nesting in somthing and laying eggs. Then its a fly mess.

The yellow crap could be mycellium piss.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisibleeasyskunkin

Re: flies control ? [Re: baraka]
    #2661854 - 05/11/04 04:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

are you kidding me ??????????????????
Any serious answers ?

--------------------
L'intérêt à croire une chose n'est pas une preuve de l'existence de cette chose.

Invisibleeasyskunkin

#2661861 - 05/11/04 04:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I don't mean to be rude but OF COURSE the flies are nesting and laying eggs, this is why I am asking to an experimented grower if there is a way to control this plague. I know what they do, thanks. As for mycelial "piss", it's not of course, won't loose any time to explain why. So nobody has answers to my (quite simple) questions, or there are holidays in the USA and everybody is on the beach or something like this ? thanks for the help anyway

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2662370 - 05/11/04 11:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Baraka has it right; Once they're in there nesting, it's pretty much game over. I've had some success with this stuff:

The problem seems to be that after application it encourages mold. It likely is very acidic and thus encourages the stuff.

The best way to deal with flies is preventive. . .keep all houseplants/potting soil away from the grow area, lay down fly sticky tape before they even appear, keep the chamber as sealed/filtered as possible.

I think many people will agree, mold and bacteria problems are easy to deal with compared to flies. I've lost a good number of pan trays to flies, the mushrooms just abort once the little bastards start digging around. Once infested, all you can really do is try to get what you can out of the casing(s) and convert them to outdoor-tek. Clean out everything and let it dry for a couple of weeks. Watch your houseplants or any other area that they might migrate to. They're drawn to mycelium growth in an almost 'pheremonal' way, so that if they're anywhere near, they will smell it.

Invisibleeasyskunkin

Re: flies control ? [Re: Suntzu]
    #2662732 - 05/11/04 12:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

thanks Suntzu, actually my room is sealed and filtered and double-doored all the way, but I think they moved in with one terrarium from the old room that was not... so now for this stuff, I probably can't get it in the country where I live so I'll try for the tape... If by chance i find something similar in my very technologically backwarded island, do i put it right on the casing ? in the terrarium ? thanks for all

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2663453 - 05/11/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This orange peel stuff has worked for me just lightly misting the casing surface. As I said, it's also worked but subsequently helped mold grow. Now, I just use it on the plastic surfaces, near entry points, etc. where acidity doesn't matter at all. If its the smell that deters the flies, then this should help somewhat.
But without question, the best way to address the problem is to keep them from getting there in the first place. Positive pressure in a grow chamber can help out quite a bit, too, though I imagine it pumps out the mycelium smell as well. . .damn flies!!

Offlinetripin420
jus chillin
    #2663995 - 05/11/04 06:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ya any time u see flys chuck it in my advice cause they will breed on your patch its not even worth tryin to save in my opinion cause they can be every where i have noticed they appear more when theres some kind of contam u dont know about or havent seen. this is one big reason everything i do i make sep in dif tots so i ddont lose the whole crop. srry bout the run on sentence im in a run but wanted to put my 2 sence in

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #2664084 - 05/11/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ok here ill redfine my self since my last post didnt work.

If flies are forming inside a sealed container pitch it. Depending on the fly there is probably larva under the casing layer muchen down.

Pitch it.

If it has "yellow shit" on it that isnt mycellium piss pitch it.

The blueing could be caused by humidity / air exchange issues....

sorry to be such and ass..

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum