Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTyroneBiggums
Biggestcrackhead intown

some questions on first grow
    #2651531 - 05/07/04 08:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi there, I'm preparing to start my first grow and i had a few questions before I start...

I figure this is what i'll do:

Using 1/2 pint jars, I'll mix 6 cups verm, 3 cups flour, and 3 cups water. After wiping the rim ill add more vermiculite till it reaches the top. Since I don't have a PC i'll have to boil them for an hour (loose lids, foil on top). Next day i'll innoculate them and leave them in a dark place with there lids on tight for about 3 weeks or till fully colonized.

After they are ready to be birthed ill take them out of the jars, and break them into little marble sized chunks. Using one of those cheap foil baking trays deals i'll drill drainage holes in the bottom and put a 1/2 inch layer of fine vermiculite on the bottom of the tray, add my 4 cakes worth of substrate, and case with another 1/2 inch of either 70/30 coir/verm or just potting soil if i cant find coir as ive heard soil works (shroom wizards tek).

I'll put 3 of the foil trays in a 10 gallon rubbermaid terrarium (with a hole in the lid covered with saran wrap), with perlite on the bottom. I'll wrap the trays with foil for a week (fanning 3x per day) or till i see mycelium growth. after that i'll expose it to a 60 watt incandescent bulb for 2 hours a day. I'll monitor humidity to be at around 80% and temp at mid 80's.

After picking the shrooms I'll use this ----> http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/12192 method to dry them... hopefully i'll make it that far...

Some questions concerning the grow:

1. I read in another post that the substrate mix mentioned above (6/3/3) produces way more substrate than is neccessary. If so, what is a more reasonable formula for 12 1/2 pint jars?

2. Is it a really bad idea to boil them in a large pot (considering i've never done this before)? If absolutely necessary I'll get a PC but i'm already strapped for cash. And using the large pot should i have a rack on the bottom or is it cool if they are just sitting on the bottom of it?

3. When innoculating is it cool to use a regular bic or would a torch lighter be necessary?... i don't have an alcohol flame.

4. Are drainage holes necessary for the tray things? SUB-QUESTION: what would be the name of the foil trays that i'm talking about.

5. Should the botton layer of vermiculite be moistened or will the water get to it when i mist? I want to use fine vermiculite right?

6. The coir, verm, and perlite... these are available in walmart usually correct?

7. Should I have vermiculite on the bottom instead of perlite?

8. Is it necessary to have a "spray shield" in the terrarium or will it be ok as long as I use a hand spray with a fine mist adjustment.

9. I'm looking for an inexpensive humidity/temp gauge like <$35... any suggestions?

10. Is it really necessary to sterilize the vermiculite in the casings cause I figured itll be fine as long as its stored properly.

11. After the first flush should I just check the surface of the casing for aborts or do i have to pull it apart. After I do whatever is necessary to get rid of aborts i figured that I would just put new verm on the bottom and patch up the casing... does this sound right?

Any answers or suggestions for the grow will be GREATLY appreciated. sorry if some of the questions are stupid but im a dumbass when it comes to stuff like this unless I know exactly what I'm doing.
- Tyrone Biggums

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: TyroneBiggums]
    #2651632 - 05/07/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: some questions on first grow [Re: Citric]
    #2651645 - 05/07/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Very good answer my friend.  :thumbup:

I just wanna add....And read as much as you can. :goodluck:

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineTyroneBiggums
Biggestcrackhead intown

Re: some questions on first grow [Re: TyroneBiggums]
    #2653219 - 05/08/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the response... I got another question.

Does the terrarium have to be airtight? If so how should I make it airtight?
-Tyrone Biggums

--------------------
Is this the 5 'o clock free crack giveaway?!

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2653298 - 05/08/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yes... use weather stipping ... (that rubber shit that goes around the border of your door) between the terrarium and the lid.... fan out CO2 accordingly

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: mrTtheH]
    #2653379 - 05/08/04 12:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: some questions on first grow [Re: Citric]
    #2653420 - 05/08/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The pressure built up in an airtight chamber can easilly be vented via a few holes drilled in the lid with a layer of tyvek taped over the top to prevent dirty air from getting in.

When a double outlet air pump is used under the perlite with air wands(per Magash's Poor Mans Pod setup) the positive pressure created and vented through the top makes an airflow that will keep air circulating and exchanging at a rate which will keep the co2 from settling on the bottom of the tank. A plastic shoe size box with the air pump in it is a good idea to prevent pumping in contaminated air.
Just put the pump inside and drill two holes in the top to accomodate the air lines,and put a vaccum cleaner replacement hepa filter into the lid by cutting a hole and sealing it into it with silicone. Also want to seal the lid onto the box with silicone also.

MYKEY

--------------------

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #2653478 - 05/08/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TyroneBiggums said:
I'll put 3 of the foil trays in a 10 gallon rubbermaid terrarium (with a hole in the lid covered with saran wrap), with perlite on the bottom. I'll wrap the trays with foil for a week (fanning 3x per day) or till i see mycelium growth. after that i'll expose it to a 60 watt incandescent bulb for 2 hours a day. I'll monitor humidity to be at around 80% and temp at mid 80's.

While the casings are recolonizing you should not be fanning. Temps should still be at incubating temps (85ish).
When you remove the foil, you begin fanning and have a light. You may want to have the light on for more than two hours a day, but I have read that people have have had success with light on for only a short time. You want the temps to be at mid 70's at this point. Light, temp drop, and CO2 circulation cause pinning.

good luck

OfflineTyroneBiggums
Biggestcrackhead intown

#2657978 - 05/09/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

allright for the foil trays I was gonna get 2 9" x 9" trays for 12 cakes. is this size too big for 6 cakes or does anyone want to recommend a more suitable size for 4-6 cakes. I'm just afraid that the substrate layers will be too thin...

--------------------

Offlineberto23
Stranger
Loc: NJ
    #2658059 - 05/09/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

get 3 trays

--------------------
the shnozzberrys taste like shnozzberrys

OfflineTyroneBiggums
Biggestcrackhead intown

Re: some questions on first grow [Re: berto23]
    #2658082 - 05/09/04 07:19 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What size trays?

--------------------

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
    #2658206 - 05/09/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You dont need a PC for a succesful sterilization, I didnt have a PC and used the pot/lid and only lost 1 jar due to my fuck up, and some water got into that 1 jar, the rest 11 jars were fantastic and they are already in the chamber pinning.
So dont waste your money on PC.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

OfflineTyroneBiggums
Biggestcrackhead intown

Re: some questions on first grow [Re: Hallucinogen]
    #2659594 - 05/10/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think I will go with the pot/lid method, not only because I don't have a PC but I don't have any experience using one and would probably fuck it up anyway.
How long did you cook the jars in the pot/what temp? how much water should be used and should the jars be on a rack or directly on the bottom of the pot?
How did the water get into the jar? I should have the lids on loose with foil covering it and crumpled around the sides right?

If anyone can give a suggestions of what dimensions of the foil trays I should use for 3 casings/4 cakes each that would help as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds