Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
New York Hunters
    #2659547 - 05/10/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

anyone here been hunting in new york yet this year? just curious on any finds, as i've heard that subbs. are best found this time of the year. any tips would be greatly appreciated. i live on a horse farm so perhaps someone could give me some pointers specifically for me, heh.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Re: New York Hunters [Re: Holmz]
    #2659554 - 05/10/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Go look where they pile up all the stable cleanings.

Re: New York Hunters [Re: angryshroom]
    #2659705 - 05/10/04 03:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

well, at my farm, we spread the manure in the fields, so perhaps that'd be a better place to look than the very few piles of old manure we have?

Wanna ShroomAgain
Loc: New York
Re: New York Hunters [Re: Holmz]
    #2916751 - 07/22/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

This is a complete newbie question but the curiosity is killing me.

I live in southern NY and so far this summer has been extremely hot and humid with frequent rain storms, especially in the past 2 weeks. A friend of mine works in a graveyard where "fertilizer" is abundant, probably cow manure or some sort. I went to visit my friend earlier and he showed me several mushrooms in different places. I'm not really going for a quick identification yet but will in the future. Currently i'm curious about the odds of finding edible mushrooms in the area and am curious about why certain mushrooms grow in certain regions and such (I'm not much of a book reading person). But I'll ramble on and see what kind of advice i get. lol

Anywho, one of the mushrooms I was shown I'd say is a classic LBM that was growing under the shade of a lip of a rock. The stems don't appear hollow and the caps vary in size and the largest I saw was about 2 inches and is convex. Underneath is very dark and I'll go into further detail about it when i do a spore print and get some pictures...

Another one that I did not see yet but was told about was some blue ones growing in a swampy area of the graveyard. Supposedly they are small but I don't really have info on em.

Oh, and I also found some mushrooms in a backyard around the same area. The stems are yellowish orange with yellow under the caps and the top of the caps are like a vomit orange type of deal. One small one looked like a nice little umbrella over the stem and a larger one was flatter. There are some blue spots under the cap of the smaller one, not sure if it's a bruise or mold or something.

After reading on the message boards I understand that where we live aint the best place for mushrooms but I don't understand why things differ from state to state. I have no idea how shrooms start to grow, but I assume that cow poo and all that fun stuff is the same from place to place so I'm pretty uneducated on the topic, although I plan to start researching the area quite a bit if i get my hopes up.

Shroom Count: 1 Time

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification