Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineStellpog
Stranger
Bad trip
    #26588096 - 04/09/20 06:10 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

A few months ago my boyfriend and I took mushrooms. I was fine but he had a really bad experience and felt intense depression. I'm not sure what type of mushrooms they were but I had a really positive experience (I took 3.5g and he took about 2.5-3g). I'm worried as the depressive symptoms have persisted and don't seem to be getting any better. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people who have experienced anything similar especially as mushrooms are often use to fight depression. Does anyone have any information or know anyone who will? Therapists etc tend to not know a lot about drugs and are quite judgemental so I thought here would be the best place to come
Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Bad trip [Re: Stellpog]
    #26588105 - 04/09/20 06:18 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

I got this last night somewhere off youtube talking about “bad trips”, and it surprised me; apparently during the Johns Hopkins Depreesion psilocybin studies, 1 out of 10 participants suffered a negative outcome following a “challenging trip” whereas 9 in 10 experienced an uplift in mental health after a “challenging trip”.

Maybe check out those studies to see what you can find out.....

Good luck
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

#26588112 - 04/09/20 06:25 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

These things are powerful.

They effect everyone differently.

They stir stuff up, and that can be too much for some.

Maybe more details about what was bad would help.

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

OfflineStellpog
Stranger
Re: Bad trip [Re: The Mycologist]
    #26588117 - 04/09/20 06:28 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

It was just a bad feeling of deep depression. He couldn't move or talk. He didn't hallucinate or anything like that. Just felt awful

OfflineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: Bad trip [Re: DJ Ed] * 3
    #26588125 - 04/09/20 06:32 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

The thing about challenging or "bad" trips is they can make you realise negative stuff about yourself that you didn't really pay attention to before. The usual outcome afterwards is to feel lightened now you have realised what's going on, to have a sense of purpose towards removing those negative barriers in your life.
Sometimes people just don't come out of the negative thought spiral though and rather than finding resolution continue to dwell on the negative that they found.
Without even mentioning the mushrooms a therapist could certainly help your partner. The mushrooms did not create an issue that did not exist before, they just brought it to the forefront of his mind. If he's having difficulties dealing with that personal issue getting outside help is a great idea.
He may even feel comfortable enough to talk to you about what he is feeling and experiencing. I'm not suggesting you try and play therapist at all, but a burden shared is a burden halved. Perhaps he just needs to talk a bit about what he is going through.
Best of luck.  :heart:

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Invisibledbreeze
Stranger
Re: Bad trip [Re: Northerner]
    #26588133 - 04/09/20 06:41 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Most of the time a bad trip is pointing your attention to something important! This depression is it about any specifics like feeling he did something wrong going no where in life ect... sit down with him and ask him to talk as much about details even if he didn't realize yet i would bet its pointing to some sort of specifics. Maybe he doesn't want to even talk about those specifics and has just said its just depression for no reason. try to get him to open up to what was going on during that trip. AND what has been going on in his head since then. Sometimes it might bring something up that if you are having a hard time accepting you wont even talk about it with the person closest to you...The best thing to do is find what the trip was calling attention to and deal with that.

Is there anything else going on paranoia anxiety ect...???

OfflineInnerWisdom
Male

Loc: North EU
Re: Bad trip [Re: Northerner]
    #26588134 - 04/09/20 06:42 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

I agree, sounds like he encountered some sort of mental block; maybe a feeling or experience that is difficult. So maybe digging deeper to "what is there to feel depressed about?" would provide some answers for him. I'm also gonna play devil's advocate here now that it came to my mind: maybe something about your relationship came up that he can't share or doesn't know how to deal with.

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Westworld
    #26588142 - 04/09/20 06:46 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

I remember one of my trips last year which was very dark. I took 3g. The experience started, body load, some anxiety and, for some reason, severe restlessness. This soon lead to depression and a thought loop that was “You’re worthless, just kill yourself”. No visuals, no feeling of euphoria, just dread. But when I came out of it I tried to integrate the experience. I knew that even though it was difficult and agonizing, that it was that way because I was meant to face something in my deep subconscious. And since I did, no lasting negative effects persisted.

The Mycologist is absolutely correct. These are incredibly powerful substances that can and will shake mental foundations for both newbie and veteran alike. We would need some more in depth information to try and work out possible causes.

How experienced was he with mushrooms and/or other psychedelics before this?

How knowledgeable was he about the possible range of physical, emotional and spiritual effects of mushrooms?

What was his set and setting like? (Setting being his physical surroundings, Set being his state of being including his mindset)

Does he have any underlying mental conditions?

And then there are questions about the trip.

When he experienced the negative emotions, did he turn internally to face them?

Did he just try to “ride it out” until it was over?

There are a lot of books and films out there that are great resources. DJ Ed mentioned the John Hopkins study. That’s a good one to look into.

We are here to help but we need more information as it is already a difficult task to digest someone else’s subjective experience, and with very bare information, near impossible.

--------------------

OfflineStellpog
Stranger
Re: Bad trip [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #26588180 - 04/09/20 07:19 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Thank you all so much for your replies they've really helped :smile: as for any extra information I'm not sure I can give much as nothing particularly significant happened. He was feeling really positive beforehand and then we just sat in his bedroom then went for a walk around the building. We didn't talk to anyone, nothing really happened at all. He just started to feel terrible all of a sudden and when he did we just sat in his bed trying to ride it out. He had taken mushrooms and acid before in different settings including around lots of other people or just a few friends. He'd been out for walks etc and whilst he was sometimes a bit anxious and didn't want to talk much, it never really effected his experience negatively. He is quite an anxious person anyway but has no diagnosed mental health problems. I'm not really sure what else I could say but if anyone would like more information please ask :smile: (sorry if I'm not very helpful)

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

#26588188 - 04/09/20 07:25 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Basically the answer is that we arent surprised.

That type of thing is common.

We like these things because we have learned to move through the junk.

Its rewarding when you can become more of a master of your mind, but it doesn't come easy.

--------------------

OfflineStellpog
Stranger
Re: Bad trip [Re: The Mycologist]
    #26588196 - 04/09/20 07:31 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

I understood the risk of tripping and wasn't surprised when things went bad, I understand that it is dangerous. But I've never heard of effects lasting this long and being this intense. I know anyone can have a bad trip but i thought that he would be more in control due to his experience with psychedelics.

InvisibleShr00mEater
Strange
Male

#26588223 - 04/09/20 07:42 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Well. Since no one has given reckless advice...

What about him trying another dose?

If not, I think talk therapy would be a good idea, like as has been mentioned.

It’s not as uncommon as you think, generally will pass on its own, but, if it’s already been monthes.... I can understand wanting to find a solution.

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

Re: Bad trip [Re: Shr00mEater]
    #26588248 - 04/09/20 08:01 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Yea what Shr00mEater is saying could be an option.

Sometimes that can help. But this isnt a science.

It really comes down to mindfulness. Maybe trying meditation, exercise, and other things where you have to push past what you naturally want to do.

I personally have found that my hard weed experiences have given me alot of tools and techniques to working through my minds junk in sober life or when using psychs.

--------------------

OfflineVibe_Enthusiast
Mushroom Technician
I'm a teapot

Loc: GPS signal lost.. Flag
Re: Bad trip [Re: The Mycologist] * 1
    #26588541 - 04/09/20 10:29 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Mushrooms honestly reveal yourself to yourself. We bury so many emotions under ground that when it's released and dealt with it can be extremely discomforting. I just had this happen to me last week with some personal issues I'm dealing with. It sounds as if he needs to listen to what they're telling him. It sounds cliche, but from what I've learned, they will literally tell you exactly what needs to change in your life (from my experiences).

Though, it might be brutal and he may feel like he is being bullied and feel like a complete POS (like my last trip) - but sometimes that's exactly what you need. It's all how you handle your shit upstairs. A lot of people sit in there own pitty and don't make the changes they need to make and get stuck into a downward spiral of negativity. Nothing good in life comes easy - all the beauty takes work and sculpting. I think another dose would be beneficial. They're not "happy" drugs. They're the truth antidote...

I hope he finds his clarity...

--------------------
:greyalien:

Edited by Vibe_Enthusiast (04/09/20 10:31 AM)

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: Bad trip [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast] * 1
    #26588594 - 04/09/20 11:00 AM (4 years, 7 days ago)

This is why I am in favour of all those people who advocate that all world,leaders must take psychedelics before they are allowed to step into office; when the mushrooms show them what a &&&& they are / have been, it tends to make people reflect a bit.

And because it’s you, showing you, it’s very difficult to ignore.

I don’t see that as somehow, “dangerous”.

I recommend OP, that since your partner’s “bad trip” happened a few months ago, then take another dose now. Focus on the depression in the week leading up to the trip; have a great music playlist worked out in advance; maybe meditate, and then jump in. Sit with him mybe as a guide; so if and when the going gets tough, remind him to focus on the depression, and not to run away from the feelings (metaphysically speaking). See my signature for what he needs to do when the mushrooms take him to these dark places: it’s like a mountain lion.......

That’s what I recommend. But however you choose to proceed, I hope things work out.

Mush love
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
    #26588713 - 04/09/20 12:08 PM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Stellpog said:
I understood the risk of tripping and wasn't surprised when things went bad, I understand that it is dangerous. But I've never heard of effects lasting this long and being this intense. I know anyone can have a bad trip but i thought that he would be more in control due to his experience with psychedelics.

It's not particularly dangerous, not much more than more ordinary things can be if they go wrong somehow.  Sometimes trips really have no meaning, just like dreams.  Sometimes they don't point at anything at all, just like dreams. Sometimes they do.  You can't take them as any sort of gospel.

That said, I've had occasional long-lasting mostly inexplicable results from certain strains of mushrooms that I've grown myself - for example "everything is plastic and it will never improve in any way".  Others never do that, being more along the line of the typical unicorns farting rainbows instead.  In the case of the "evil" strains (assuming you don't like a plastic world that is :lol:), after most of a week of torture I did some others and it went away completely.  Having suffered from bipolar type 2 most of my life I really value their ability to treat such things, in spite of any risks involved, as the alternative is to put it mildly extremely depressing.

So it's not a science.  Usually the side effects abate over time.  That would be my first advice, just wait it out.  When/if the time feels right (the call comes in strange ways sometimes) just try them again fresh.

BTW if you don't grow, start now.  It's fun, it's easy enough, is one the most rewarding things you can do, and as a bonus you have some control over what you get. :cookiemonster:

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

OfflineFarnaby1984
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26588937 - 04/09/20 01:59 PM (4 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Stellpog said:
A few months ago my boyfriend and I took mushrooms. I was fine but he had a really bad experience and felt intense depression. I'm not sure what type of mushrooms they were but I had a really positive experience (I took 3.5g and he took about 2.5-3g). I'm worried as the depressive symptoms have persisted and don't seem to be getting any better. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people who have experienced anything similar especially as mushrooms are often use to fight depression. Does anyone have any information or know anyone who will? Therapists etc tend to not know a lot about drugs and are quite judgemental so I thought here would be the best place to come
Thanks

Hey! I agree with what others have said: the trip probably brought things to the surface that were probably hidden by daily activities, etc.

It's possible that he doesn't even know what these things are and has just the feeling, sensation. Sometimes we feel unpleasant and strange things and don't have a rational explanation for them. It's also possible that he doesn't know how to talk about them or is scared to do so.

In any case, a compassionate and non judgemental therapist could probably help him. Not all therapists are judgemental towards drugs and he doesn't even need to say that he's feeling like that because of a psychedelic experience if he doesn't want to.

Good luck :smile:

OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: Bad trip [Re: Farnaby1984]
    #26591777 - 04/10/20 06:29 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

Hes got some shit to figure out

Hes the only one who can do it

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies