Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDdaShroom
Wanna Be TI & Friend
Male User Gallery

Growing mushrooms from just a spore print HELP * 1
    #26581742 - 04/06/20 01:25 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Hello,

So I have a mushroom about to drop a spore print. I want to eventually grow a bunch of the species from this spore print.

How much spore print do I need?
What do I do once I have the print?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRyeHumor
MasterProcrastinator
Male

Loc: Yeast Of Knowhere
Re: Growing mushrooms from just a spore print HELP [Re: DdaShroom]
    #26581767 - 04/06/20 01:36 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I'll search and try to grab a good link for you but here are the cliff notes:

As I understand it you have two options:
(1) Make a spore syringe

(2) put it directly on agar

The reading I have done cautions against trying to place spores directly into your growing media.

To answer how much you need: not much there are millions of spores in a print and all you need is two to get things going.

If you make a spore syringe and intend to inject it directly into your sterile pf or grain jars, grow back etc but you run a greater risk of having contamination without the recourse that agar provides. So you need to be careful about how you make the print/ syringe.

If you choose to use an agar dish you can swipe some spores onto the plate in an SAB (still air box). This gives you the benefit of watching the mycelium grow before putting it into your sterile media so that you can spot contamination if it's present, which is likely for a multi-spore grow (MS). Then you can either transfer the good part into your media or if you want to be more careful you can transfer it to some new plates first to ensure you get nothing but healthy growth before you continue.

If you choose to go with agar you can then drop that into sterile grain jars, bags, or even make yourself a liquid culture.

Here's a thread that describes how to make a spore syringe: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26011681

Spore print to agar: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26325679

InvisibleRyeHumor
MasterProcrastinator
Male

#26581794 - 04/06/20 01:49 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

You have another option too if you are comfortable going with agar. You could also clone that fruit on agar and make a master slant. Keeps in the fridge for at least a year but I hear they can go for much longer if kept from drying out.

Personally I intend to do both once I have fruit. Clone and take spore prints. I believe cloning at least makes it more likely that you will have a fruit that exhibits the characteristics you liked about the mushroom you're trying to take a print off.

OfflineDdaShroom
Wanna Be TI & Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing mushrooms from just a spore print HELP [Re: RyeHumor]
    #26582971 - 04/06/20 10:54 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Ok so it seems like cloning fruit on agar is the resounding winner?

Couple questions still (thank you a ton btw).

So, where do I get the agar? Where do I get the petri dishes? Is there anything else I would need to assure sterilization? What do I do after the cloned fruit produces mycelium within the agar dish? I intend to inoculate on substrate outside? Is this a bad idea, and if so what would you recommend? Thank you!

Offlinebogdancev
Stranger
    #26583099 - 04/07/20 01:02 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Read one of the Pasty's easy teks

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Basically you can use any PP5 container for agar plates.
These are mine examples:

Do you have pressure cooker/canner?

Edited by bogdancev (04/07/20 01:12 AM)

Offlineseagu

Re: Growing mushrooms from just a spore print HELP [Re: bogdancev]
    #26583306 - 04/07/20 06:00 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Not to confuse you too much.. ok maybe a little.. all of the options are viable.. it all just depends on what your goal is. I mention this because if you like to experiment then all of the options are fun and viable. And they are all used depending on the goal of the grower.

But like you mention cloning is the quick and not so dirty path to quickest fruit again. Agar and petri dishes can be gotten from amazon. What are you referring to for anything more you need for sterilization?

What do you do after the cloned fruit colonizes the agar plate? Depends. Read a bunch of threads in the gourmet section on agar work, master slants. And you can take a small wedge and drop it on a grain spawn bag or whatever else you are wanting to put it to, to grow it out, then to sub.

Innoculating sub outside.. if you are talking of noccing up say pasteurized straw or wood chips outside with fully colonized grain then you are good. If you are talking about noccing up sub that is suplimented and needs to be sterlized then you would want to do that in a HEPA, bunsen burner flame circle or SAB.

--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

OfflineDdaShroom
Wanna Be TI & Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing mushrooms from just a spore print HELP [Re: bogdancev]
    #26583492 - 04/07/20 09:02 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bogdancev said:
Read one of the Pasty's easy teks

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Basically you can use any PP5 container for agar plates.
These are mine examples:

Do you have pressure cooker/canner?

I don't sadly :/

OfflineDdaShroom
Wanna Be TI & Friend
Male User Gallery

#26583493 - 04/07/20 09:03 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you guys all a ton

InvisibleRyeHumor
MasterProcrastinator
Male

#26584289 - 04/07/20 03:18 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

No problem  :cheers:

You might want to check into steam sterilization using nothing more than a pot with a tight fitting lid. I don't know if it's applicable to agar but I know its done for making pf jars so you may not need a pressure cooker to get the job done. It's worth searching

InvisibleRyeHumor
MasterProcrastinator
Male

Re: Growing mushrooms from just a spore print HELP [Re: RyeHumor]
    #26584372 - 04/07/20 04:05 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Never mind just did a bit of searching and that's a terrible idea. I would either order pre-poured sterile agar dishes or save up for a pressure cooker. Some people find them for cheap on craigslist. I went ahead an bought a new presto 23qt cooker for about $78 on Amazon.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract