Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedfwphotoguy
cameraologist
Loc: taking photos in DFW
What do you look for when picking a field?
    #2658123 - 05/09/04 09:27 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

I understand (sort off) the weather, wait untill after it rains with the temps in the 70's-80's with good humidity.

My searching is driving me nuts though. I am driving all over DFW and I can not seem to get it right. My ride now has another 190 miles on it in the last week with nothing to show for it (maybe)

Is there some certain aspect to picking a field or is it just damn plain luck.

And do the cows/horse breed matter?

Please help I am slowly becoming obsesive and i have never even had one shroom yet.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: What do you look for when picking a field? [Re: dfwphotoguy]
    #2658152 - 05/09/04 09:34 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Might try checking the FAQ. Also, be more specific. What state do you live in, what type of mushrooms are you looking for. Cows/horse breed do not matter  :smirk: . If all else fails you might want to start hanging out in mush cult and make the mushrooms come to you.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: What do you look for when picking a field? [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #2659062 - 05/10/04 03:45 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

DFW= Dallas Fort Worth I'm assuming, so he's in Texas. As far as breeds are concerned, you're correct. Breed does not matter. Cow shit is cow shit, no matter which cow it came from :P

As far as picking a field goes... No clue. I've yet to hunt for cubes. I'm a weilii and Panaeolus man myself.

OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #2659229 - 05/10/04 12:46 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

The main thing you want is a field you don't have to worry about getting caught in. If you're worried about getting caught, it makes it harder to find the mushrooms. I recommend you find the most southern field you can search without getting caught, and make sure you go after it's rained like 2 days, and with an extra day of humidity.

Invisibleback2growing
hunter

Loc: southeast usa
Re: What do you look for when picking a field? [Re: Aaladorn]
    #2659255 - 05/10/04 12:59 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

dont hunt in horse fields. theyll produce little to no cubes. cowfields only.

also dont hunt without an experienced person with you. if you do have an experienced person, chances are youll have a producing field with the person.

--------------------
Its cube season on the gulf coast.

Whats more natural than a man going out and collecting medicines?

I like to take the heavenly route to hell.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2659935 - 05/10/04 05:14 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Well i've done my fair share of checking out different cow-fields here in florida.

I look at the grass. A nice green & lush pastureland yeilds (much) more shrooms than a taller rank straw-grass. When the grass is green and lush and trimmed (by the cows) than the pies stick out easier and also the shrooms are not as hidden.

Trees also, though they are not neccesary for shroom growth, trees help give shade and privacy to the shrooms and the shroom pickers.

If you will be trespassing (not getting permission from the land owner) than safety and privacy and seclusion is paramount. I know of fields which are great shroom producers but also not shroom picker-friendly (i.e. coppers/farmers) so i would rather go into a safe field and find 1 shroom (and not have to worry about that) than to go into a dangerous one and find 100 (being on edge the whole time worried if someone is watching you, or a copper waiting for you to finish picking so he can bust on you when you leave the field with your bag of shrooms).
-It's simply not worth it to get into any trouble for a bag of shrooms.

A good place to park and a good place to hop over the fence is always a plus.

And, when when walking a pasture (looking for mushrooms), i look for snakes first and mushrooms second..yep, constantly watching out for snakes, and secondly watching out for shrooms.

Offlinesuboriginal
enthusiast

#2662074 - 05/11/04 08:24 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Though I am from Melbourne (Australia, not Melbourne Florida DFphotoguy, soz!), I thoroughly agree with all above advice. Especially that about hunting in spots where you are 'allowed' to be, cause you actually want the searching itself to be a bit of a relaxing ritual, that way the disappointment if you find none is minimal or nonexistant (easy to say when I'me not short of subs though!). But yeah, when you're relaxed, you really have time to look around at your leisure, notice things you wouldn't if you were 'on edge' wondering who was watching, and above all, just enjoy wandering around in tranquil surroundings looking at what's growing. So I reckon just hang in there, maybe make a bit of a 'day' of your trips (sorry, no pun intended/ read 'excursions'), take a BBQ/ some food beer and a couple of good friends etc?, and just search for shrooms as a possible added bonus... The other posts that I can concur with even from the other side of the world/ about a species I've never picked are 1. Never heard of any of the cow-pat-ophillic shrooms growing in horse manure, and perhaps the best advice so far (see above from 'back2 etc)... hook up with someone that has been into them for a while/ is experienced with finding AND IDing them... this maybe hard given your circumstances, but shouldn't be TOOOO hard... are there any 'alternative clubs/ bars around where you might be able to chat to like-minded people ? Just don't come on too strong and they may be happy to offer advice. Pubs where uni' students frequent are probably a good bet also...
Anyways, hang in there, sure you'll be lucky soon...

--------------------
Peace, love and organic brown rice...

Offlinedfwphotoguy
cameraologist
Loc: taking photos in DFW
    #2662105 - 05/11/04 08:50 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

Thank you all very much for the info. Hopefully I will be able to put it to the test in the next few days as North Texas is looking to get some serious rain soon!

BTW has anyone ever hunted at any old abandoned barns or cattle farms. I found a perfect milk cow farm that has been closed down that is not near anything and was wondering if it would be worth my time. It has been closed for about a year now. The location is perfect on an old long dirt road not near anything so my saftey will be great.

Thanks again for the reply's.

Offlineiluan
Keep your stickon the ice.
Male User Gallery

Loc: lookin at crazy in the re...
    #2662275 - 05/11/04 10:24 AM (13 years, 20 days ago)

That sounds like a good place, you really don't wana be picking shroomz outa fresh sticky shit anyway. On a side note, if you see a field that looks promising, why not just ask for permision to hunt some, all the farmer can do is say no.

--------------------
Remember..if the women don't find ya handsome,they should atleast find ya handy!

I do what i can with what i don't have!

Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #5771781 - 06/20/06 10:42 AM (10 years, 11 months ago)

1. You need aged dung probably at least a month old

2. Breeds dont matter but if the cattle are grain or feed fed, the chances are greatly reduced, and if the grain or feed has fugicide which in my area is common anywhere near citys chances are next to zero

3. What time of day are you going out? Usually b4 10am is the best time, by 12 most of the decent ones will be picked or moldy

4. How much time are you taking, usually when i go with friends we leave after 30 minutes (much to my dismay) dont do this, last time i went alone, after the first 30 of nothing, i started to find good fruits, then after 45 i had 2 wet oz. In short take your time, create a system in which you can cover the most area without the possibility of missing alot of area. I walk horizontal lines or start at a point and walk concentric circles out from that point.

5. probably the most important, the grass hieght, if the grass isnt over 6 inches, your shrooms are going to consist of mostly non actives, the only place i find cubes anymore with my weather are in the woods. Even tho temperatures and humidities seem correct almost every single day.
Hope this could be of some help

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

Edited by 2FiNiTe (06/20/06 10:45 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification