Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: ]
    #2685645 - 05/16/04 04:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You'll never be happy till you are yourself. Being happy's much more important than conforming.

WHy'd anyone want to conform anyway?

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: mr_kite]
    #2685663 - 05/16/04 04:35 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
WHy'd anyone want to conform anyway?

Because they are insecure with themselves.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleKthxBye
bandito furioso

Loc: bottom of the noob barrel
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: trendal]
    #2686779 - 05/16/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I too am a hermit...or have the capability to become one anyways.
I too have friends back home but at college havn't really met anyone I'd consider more than an aquaintence. I'm pretty much known on the floor as "that quiet pothead"

I enjoy socializing, sometimes, but the constant flow of strangers with whom I'm supposed to chat drags at my consciousness.

I've always been a loner, an outsider...never really "got on the team" if you know what I mean. I remember in second grade, when the redskins were in the superbowl we were given a big strip of paper and markers to make a banner supporting them. I spent my time hiding "go cowboys" in the other kid's hometown pride.

The TV was covered with 10 second shots of people saying "go skins". Its the only time I cared about football. I desperately wanted them to lose.

Rebel without a cause I guess.

--------------------
I know what he wants: a drag of smooth tobbacco blended with the finest Turkish Turkweed. Here, have a toke on me you dumb beast.

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2699390 - 05/18/04 11:49 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

When you get lonely, something's wrong. Till then, do whatever. Normalcy is very subjective.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2699405 - 05/18/04 11:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The only thing wrong with one being a hermit would be if said hermit thought there was something wrong with being a hermit.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: Strumpling]
    #2699728 - 05/19/04 01:56 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Said hermit rather enjoys it :smile:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #2700506 - 05/19/04 09:42 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I fucking wish I could be that much of a hermit and not feel bad about it. keep up the good work!

I'm not too fond of society either, but the instinctual need to socialize keeps me going out and hanging with people I really dont care for that much. I think if i could cut that part of my brain out that wants me to socialize, I would be a much happier hermit.

Offlinemad_hatter
tumbling dice

Loc: NY,NY
    #2703409 - 05/19/04 09:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

maybe have you considered your friends point of view? i mean if your happy and content then by all means be who you are. but also think how you might be disapointing them cus they wanted to chill with you and instead you blew em off to hang by yourself. does that make sense?but anyways do what you know will make you happy i geuss

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: mad_hatter]
    #2703450 - 05/19/04 09:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have a few GOOD friends who I do hang out with now and then, and enjoy it. It's not like they're calling me every day begging me to come hang out or anything :smirk:

My close friends all understand who and what I am...I don't think they are hurt in any way by my absence!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #2704295 - 05/20/04 01:11 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

After reading this thread Its put a smile on my face to see so many fellow hermits :smile:

But on a more serious note, in a similar fashion to most of you it seems, I am a very socialable person when I am around friends, or when the time and place calls for it, but by and large I enjoy spending time alone, and of late have been spending longer and longer periods isolated from society, friends, and the 'world.'

Im sure like anything it has good and bad points about it, but to add something not previously discussed, I thought id give Alan Watts imput on the issue of being a hermit (copy pasted from Self and Other) (I hope people dont mind such a large copy paste, but Alan Watts really is a pleasure to read, and It is worthwhile and relevant imho)

From Alan Watts 'Self and Other' - Lecture

'....In other words, look at the number of people we know who are terrified of silence, and who have to have something going all the time, some noise streaming into their ears. They're doing that because of their intense sense of loneliness. And so when they feel silent, they feel lonely and they want to escape from it. Or people who just want to get together. As we say, they want to escape from themselves. More people spend more time running away from themselves. Isn't that wretched? What a definition. What an experience of self if it's something you've always got to be running away from and forgetting. Say you read a mystery story. Why? So you forget yourself. You join a religion. Why? To forget yourself. You get absorbed in a political movement. Why? To forget yourself. Well it must be a pretty miserable kind of self if you have to forget it like that. Now for a person who doesn't have an isolated sense of self, he has no need to run away from it, because he knows.

Let's take hermits. People today think being a hermit is a very unhealthy thing to do. Very antisocial, doesn't contribute anything to everybody else - because everybody else is busy contributing like blazes, and a few people have to run off and get out of the way. But I'll tell you what hermits realize. If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet, you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything........But you see, the hermit finds this out through his solitide

But the point is that a human represents a certain kind of development, wherein a maximal sense of his oneness with the whole universe goes hand in hand with the maximum development of his personality as somebody unique and different. Whereas the people who are of course trying to develop their personality directly and taking a Dale Carnegie course on how to win friends and influence people, or how to become successful - all those people come out as if they came from the same cookie cutter. They don't have any personality......"

With Metta,

Jono.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2705188 - 05/20/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I agree with everyone here - there's nothing wrong with being a hermit if you're happy with it. I tend to go in phases where I'll go out a lot for awhile then switch back into hermit mode for a month or two. Although, even when I'm going out a lot, I like being able to go home by myself when I'm done with people for the night.

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: Renegade8]
    #4212765 - 05/24/05 12:17 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

im a hermit aswell, and im quite happy with it

if anyone was interrested, societys veiw of a hermit asbeing a *disorder*

http://www.mentalhealth.com/dis1/p21-pe02.html

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: DF2K]
    #4215032 - 05/24/05 04:22 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I wouldn't necessarily link "hermit" with "schizoid", as Schizoid generally includes a large degree of anti-social attitudes, whereas the bulk of "hermits" who have replied here don't so much show an "anti" social attitude...just a lack of any need for much socialization.

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #4216863 - 05/24/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I guess the big unanswered question is "What is the nature of your inner life?" Do you genuinely want to help people or does the idea of venturing out and killing a homeless person give you an erection?

You seem like a harmless person to me, but perhaps you are harboring some sick, twisted thoughts in your gourd and you don't want it getting out. You maintain a mask of sanity for the outer world all the while you are dreaming of taking the stage in some grotesque fashion and ripping open your chest to reveal your blackened vegetable heart.

Just some thoughts.

I think you are pretty normal in most ways. If you want I can venture up there and sort you out the next time I am in your neck of the woods.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
    #4217381 - 05/25/05 03:37 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I dabbled in it, I prefer being alone. My friends are cool. But it sucks when there aint shit too do. It's better being bored alone then bored in groups.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: jono]
    #4217558 - 05/25/05 06:16 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Nice job with the Alan Watts quote!

I just find very few people interesting enough to socialize with. The kind of people who post here are few and far between IRL.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4219083 - 05/25/05 03:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Count me in as a hermit too!  :laugh:

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4220822 - 05/25/05 11:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

here is a tad bit of perspective on some self proclaimed hermits:
trendal - Posts: 10081
ToiletDuk - Posts: 10386
DF2K - Posts: 4458
daba - Posts: 3563
silversoul7 - Posts: 27301
kosmic_charlie - Posts: 3222
total posts: 59011
hermits in example: /6

aveage post per" hermits" = 9835

whether you believe you are socializing or not, seems to me like you are.

from dictionary.com:
her?mit Audio pronunciation of "hermit" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h?rmt)
n.

A person who has withdrawn from society and lives a solitary existence; a recluse.

the fact that you participate in a society, even an online society like the shroomery, shows that you arent a hermit. you're just a person that choses o interact digitally instead of physically.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: automan]
    #4251717 - 06/03/05 09:30 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well if you read my first post, I don't think/consider myself a "hermit" now...but there is a real possibility (and some wish) to become one in the future (possibly near).

My life has been a slow move towards less socialization as time goes on.

I also need to point out the fact, again, that it is not so much anti-social tendancies...just a near-total lack of need for socialization. I get tired very quickly when I socialize with others...and I tend to feel "better" the longer I go without socializing.

But yeah, 10,000+ posts is getting a little silly :grin:

--------------------

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Is it ok to be a hermit, or is something wrong? [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #4251931 - 06/03/05 10:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

master_shake said:
I dabbled in it, I prefer being alone. My friends are cool. But it sucks when there aint shit too do. It's better being bored alone then bored in groups.

:yesnod:

Even if it's just somebody asking if I want to come over and smoke a joint, come over and watch a movie (if it's a good one I haven't seen). The other day my friend called me up because he was moving back into his parent's house and he mentioned something about me helping him move stuff from the truck into his room. Even if it's just a task like that it's fine because I feel like I'm DOING something, otherwise I don't see the point, if I want to talk to somebody I'll instant message them.

I just don't see why people feel the need to stand in a circle and flap their gums about meaningless things. Maybe it's just the people I observe, when I'm with my good friends there doesn't seem to be any problem. I guess it really helps to have similar interests and me and my friends have some pretty odd interests.  :crazy2: :mushroom2:

Nice thing about forums is you can choose a community of likeminded people and then even further within that choose the topics to discuss. Maybe I just need to convince my friends to visit messageboards more often.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
]

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals