Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecarnalrekt
Stranger
Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin
    #26574385 - 04/03/20 01:42 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInnerWisdom
Male

Loc: North EU
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: carnalrekt]
    #26574406 - 04/03/20 02:07 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Omg, this is huge. Will definitely read that study. Wow.

OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: carnalrekt] * 1
    #26574420 - 04/03/20 02:28 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

the writer needs to stop trying to be so fucking smart!

OfflineInnerWisdom
Male

Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: MikeTesserect]
    #26574425 - 04/03/20 02:36 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

"With the impending approval of psilocybin as a pharmaceutical drug, the manufacture and supply should be considered. Unfortunately, the content of psilocybin and psilocin in psychedelic mushrooms is too low (0.2%–1% dry weight) to make extraction a commercially viable option (Tylš et al., 2014), with cultivation of mushrooms for extraction of its psychedelic compounds limited to recreational users only. Furthermore, the large variation in psilocybin content observed between different mushroom batches will present difficulties in generating a consistent product with a stable supply chain needed for large scale therapeutic application "
What do you cultivators think of this? Seems kind of like bullshit to me that cultivation of mushrooms would not be a good method of obtaining psilocybin. On top of that, people could cultivate their own psilocybin, but that of course is something the drug companies don't want. Nevertheless, yeast capable of producing amounts of psilocybin like in this research of course yields much more substance in a much easier manner.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: InnerWisdom]
    #26574683 - 04/03/20 07:27 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Loc: Interzone
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: tyrannicalrex] * 1
    #26574744 - 04/03/20 08:09 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

What if you add msg to the brew & get an ethanol, GHB, psilocybin combo? :lol:

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:
***The Land of the Free***

Ps. caerulipes  Ps. cubensis  Ps. cyanescens  Ps. ovoideocystidiata  Pan. cinctulus  Pan. cyanescens

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: dizzy_simmons]
    #26578978 - 04/05/20 08:47 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Their yield is still <1%. I wonder how costly this process is. Probably gonna end up with the actual drugs being schedule 2 and mushrooms still illegal.

OfflineInnerWisdom
Male

Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: Failboat]
    #26579052 - 04/05/20 09:27 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I am no expert, but yeast eats sugar so that part is very simple. The problem I guess is how to separate the bacteria from the psilocybin, or if that is even necessary.

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

#26580359 - 04/05/20 07:54 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quirkmeister92 said:
Their yield is still <1%. I wonder how costly this process is. Probably gonna end up with the actual drugs being schedule 2 and mushrooms still illegal.

While their yield is “only one percent” of the total solution, that’s still a fair bit of psilocybin. 
“A Johns Hopkins study found the ideal dose for long-term positive effects to be 20 mg per 70 kg of body weight.“ By that measure, their one liter has about 60 doses (including the psilocine, but not counting any other derivatives that might contribute to the effects of course). A “dose” would be less than 20mL, or 1% of a 2L bottle - less than a “shot” (30-40mL). 
HOWEVER, the silver lining is that in most places, mushrooms themselves were never scheduled (“made illegal”). They are usually considered containers of an illegal drug, therefore they bare the same il/legality as the substance they contain. Unless “they” completely rewrite the laws that is.

Quote:

InnerWisdom said:
I am no expert, but yeast eats sugar so that part is very simple. The problem I guess is how to separate the bacteria from the psilocybin, or if that is even necessary.

Yeast is actually a fungus, & small amounts of it are almost always present in beer & wine  :smile:
The FDA would definitely require a purified product, but I’d be more than happy with unrefined super brew.  Speaking of which, how can we get our hands on this strain?
I wonder if it was brewed aerobically or anaerobically.

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:

Ps. caerulipes  Ps. cubensis  Ps. cyanescens  Ps. ovoideocystidiata  Pan. cinctulus  Pan. cyanescens

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #26581633 - 04/06/20 12:32 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

InnerWisdom said:

What do you cultivators think of this? Seems kind of like bullshit to me that cultivation of mushrooms would not be a good method of obtaining psilocybin. On top of that, people could cultivate their own psilocybin, but that of course is something the drug companies don't want. Nevertheless, yeast capable of producing amounts of psilocybin like in this research of course yields much more substance in a much easier manner.

Haven't even done mushrooms in awhile but still think it's BS. Some mushrooms get plenty potent, and even with under 1% yield mushrooms are easy to farm large scale and seem simple to extract.

They also bring up the variation in tryptamines in mushrooms as if it's a bad thing. But I'd wager a full spectrum blend with some variation could be more medicinal and effective then a pure psilocybin extract.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: musiclover420]
    #26581646 - 04/06/20 12:38 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Wouldn't the 4-ho-(X) series of chems be like that?

--------------------

OfflineShroomDoom
Friend of the Medicine
 User Gallery

Loc: A Psychedelic State Flag
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #26581679 - 04/06/20 12:58 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:
Quote:

InnerWisdom said:

Haven't even done mushrooms in awhile but still think it's BS. Some mushrooms get plenty potent, and even with under 1% yield mushrooms are easy to farm large scale and seem simple to extract.

They also bring up the variation in tryptamines in mushrooms as if it's a bad thing. But I'd wager a full spectrum blend with some variation could be more medicinal and effective then a pure psilocybin extract.

As much as I love cultivation of fruiting bodies this yeast liquid culture every 5 days yielding 275mg actives per liter is hard to beat on efficiency. All they did is controlled feed of glucose and oxygen bubbles for 5 days in a biofermenter then extract. Thats retardedly simple and way more efficient than fruiting psilocybin species in every way
It's simply faster on return, cheaper, rapidly scalable and can targeted for specific molecules. Can be most likely scaled to industrial size fermenters making hundreds of liters every 5 days, possibly less via optimized parameters. This will become the standard for commercially produced medical psilocybin, psilocin, baeocystin, norbaeocystin, and aeuriginascin. As far as home cultivation this may not be for masses because of the extraction step involved but it wouldn't be that hard for aspiring hobbyists who get their hands on the yeast to replicate production and extraction on a small scale. People will always grow mushrooms but this yeast makes active compounds more efficiently and with less time involved in the process.

--------------------

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #26582371 - 04/06/20 06:17 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

musiclover420 said:

It's about controlling the means of production. Although they make cloak it this way, it's got nothing to do with whether mushrooms produce enough psilocybin, it's just about controlling the supply and industrializing the process.

As far as what's "more medicinal", doesn't matter even if true, they aren't about to go through the trouble of trialing and bringing to market some kind of full spectrum extract or a drug consisting of multiple compounds...that would be a far more expensive and daunting task and there's no motivating factor for them to even try. You gotta think about patents and FDA approval.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: Holybullshit] * 1
    #26583779 - 04/07/20 11:17 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Good luck trying to get your hands on this strain though, its gonna be a heavily guarded secret. As a previous poster said its about control.

Also I dont think this is news, it might have been bacteria last time but theres been an article before that someone has done this, its a pretty obvious and common move too since many drugs are mass produced this way trhough transgenic organisms nowadays like insulin, much cheaper than before.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: polaritymind]
    #26584789 - 04/07/20 07:21 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

polaritymind said:

Also I dont think this is news, it might have been bacteria last time but theres been an article before that someone has done this, its a pretty obvious and common move too since many drugs are mass produced this way trhough transgenic organisms nowadays like insulin, much cheaper than before.

You're probably thinking of the GMO yeasts that could produce morphine; that story's floated around a couple times. Psilocybin isn't (yet) an accepted medicine, so there hasn't been much exploration with it particularly, 'though yeasts & bacteria are frequently modified.

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: dizzy_simmons] * 1
    #26585241 - 04/07/20 11:00 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

The recent alternatives have require super expensive precursors to feed em. This is a GMO yeast, which they pretty much told you what to modify, and as ShroomDoom pointed out the turn around is unbelievably fast and yieldy. Psilocybin will be rescheduled sooner or later, but certainly not descheduled.

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: polaritymind]
    #26586562 - 04/08/20 02:33 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

polaritymind said:
Good luck trying to get your hands on this strain though, its gonna be a heavily guarded secret...

I think we could count on a biochemist or two creating their own versions. The article describes a long list of strategies the authors used to produce the actives. If a copycat strain gets released with even half the potency, anybody who wants it can produce as much psilocybin as they ever wanted. Assuming the genetic modifications don't produce outright poisonous co-products, people might be brewing and drinking a small shot of something that tastes vaguely like mead for the equivalent of a 2-3g dose of dried Cubensis.

Something really interesting from the article is that the 600 mg/l concentration is extracellular. You don't even have to eat the yeast, just drink the brew it's growing in. And you really don't need to drink very much of it.

I wonder how stable the modified strain is. If the modification gives it no competitive benefit, the brew ought to eventually get contaminated by "normal" yeast.

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: sonoramo]
    #26586702 - 04/08/20 03:53 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

“Control” hasn’t worked for mushrooms or GMO corn. I doubt it will work for this. With a little luck it’ll be available “for microscopy use only :shrug:

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: dizzy_simmons]
    #26586859 - 04/08/20 04:59 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dizzy_simmons said:
“Control” hasn’t worked for mushrooms or GMO corn. I doubt it will work for this. With a little luck it’ll be available “for microscopy use only :shrug:

It will absolutely work for this, if psilocybin is brought to market as a prescription medicine you can bet your ass it will be sourced from yeast.

And about 90% of the soybeans and 70% of the cotton and corn grown in the US are roundup ready...and China just approved GMO corn now making Syngenta the largest corn seed supplier in Asia, so I'm not sure what you consider "working".

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Re: Brewers yeast is now producing psilocybin [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26587380 - 04/08/20 09:08 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
Quote:

dizzy_simmons said:

It will absolutely work for this, if psilocybin is brought to market as a prescription medicine you can bet your ass it will be sourced from yeast.

And about 90% of the soybeans and 70% of the cotton and corn grown in the US are roundup ready...and China just approved GMO corn now making Syngenta the largest corn seed supplier in Asia, so I'm not sure what you consider "working".

If by “control” you mean the method of production is so efficient someone would have to be brain dead not to use it as part of their business, then yeah, I’ll give you that hands down. But I can plant my own  corn right next to a plot of “sterile” GMO corn & “steal” those genes. Their “control” only prevents legal competition. It keeps the method out of the hands of other businesses, not the average (determined)  joe.

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck