Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
2 Cold shocks?
    #2657321 - 05/09/04 03:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I started doing a cold shock on a casing, but had to stop after 12 hours or so.....

Would it be of any help to do a second one? For more time?
Thanx

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: 2 Cold shocks? [Re: Sterile]
    #2657356 - 05/09/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

From the FAQ:
COLD SHOCKING
Exposing the cakes or casings to cold temperatures for around 24 hours is supposed to trigger pinning. The opinions whether it is needed with Psilocybe cubensis or not vary, but so far it's not known that it would do any harm doing so.
It seems to be beneficial with some strains which don't form pins easily. Make sure that you wrap the cakes or casings well before putting them into the fridge, since the fridge is often not the cleanest place in terms of mushroom cultivation.

cubensis eats substrate best at 86 F. The further you drop the temperature from that temp, without passing a critical temp that kills, the faster you stop it from EATING. When the mycelium stops eating and is exposed to light, oxygen it begins to pin.

Going from 86 to 75 may not be significant enough to immediately trigger fruiting. The mycelium may continue to feed until the OTHER stimuli trigger fruiting. So cold shocking may speed up fruiting, as several members here have stated.

My concern with it would be an extension of the lag time between frutings due to the GREATLY decreased temperature exposure initially, and then the maintainance at lower temps then optimum for growth rate. It seems to me it would be better to only slightly lower temps, and combine it with the OTHER stimuli to get fruits. It may take longer to get the first flush, but it MAY ALSO take less time to get the second, third, fourth, etc....

I never cold shock cubensis, NEVER needed to. Just trying to see the benefits and ways them against any pitfalls.

I don't grow cakes either.

Definetly can see it being beneficial for STUBBORN CAKES or CASINGS that refuse to Stop vegetating regardless of exposure to the other STIMULI. The Mycelium has to STOP growing to fruit.

Dropping temps 10 degrees is not the same as dropping it 40 degrees. The former just slows down the growth. The latter can STOP IT. Once the mycelium stops growing it starts the pinning process, after a short lag to GET READY. COLD SHOCK could make this happen faster. If it does, like wise it can make the in between flush period, LONGER. Temps beneficial to fruiting are Lower then temps beneficial to growing(eating). The mycelium gathers nutrients in FEEDING mode, stores them, and uses them to develop the first and second flush. Then it has to feed some more to make more pins and develope them. This is why I think Cold shocking might speed up pin set, but slow down the time in between flushes.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: 2 Cold shocks? [Re: ButterNut]
    #2657381 - 05/09/04 03:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I know it is not a must,but many shroomerites believe that cold shocking speeds up the pinning process...

I just thought a few hours where not enough. Thanx

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Annos Tek

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#2657393 - 05/09/04 03:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Aha! Yeah. this is the reason i made my post in the first place!
Thanx butnut!
It mentions that it has to be like 24 hours, when i cold shocked 12

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2657401 - 05/09/04 03:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

your welcome dicknose

I was posting that when you posted the first.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#2657410 - 05/09/04 03:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

lol! :rotfl:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2657418 - 05/09/04 03:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FAQ said:
My concern with it would be an extension of the lag time between frutings due to the GREATLY decreased temperature exposure initially, and then the maintainance at lower temps then optimum for growth rate. It seems to me it would be better to only slightly lower temps, and combine it with the OTHER stimuli to get fruits. It may take longer to get the first flush, but it MAY ALSO take less time to get the second, third, fourth, etc....

Did you see this part though?

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: ButterNut]
    #2657433 - 05/09/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#2657472 - 05/09/04 04:03 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:flowers:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: 2 Cold shocks? [Re: Citric]
    #2657479 - 05/09/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I see........well,  interesting point.....I ll just wait! :cool:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#2657527 - 05/09/04 04:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I am mainly interested in the first flush, cos i used only a thin casing layer (mistake!) Very interesting tho...its the same for total yield hmm, maybe its just a matter of choice...

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2657656 - 05/09/04 04:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

There is also the posiibility of cyclic cold-shocking for pinning. This night is the last night (of three) for my Thais in the fridge. Perhaps I have convinced them finally of the nearby wintertime :wink:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: 2 Cold shocks? [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #2657669 - 05/09/04 04:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Is this based on personal experience or did you read about it?

It makes some sense in a way, cos the nights in the forest are significantly colder than the days, so i believe this happens in nature anyway?

People should start cold shocking every day if they want really huge yields. j/k :cool:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

Edited by Sterile (05/09/04 04:57 PM)

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2657680 - 05/09/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Sterile said:
It makes some sense in a way, cos the nights in the forest are significantly colder than the days, so i believe this happens in nature anyway?

I dont believe thats the Case in Thailand.

--------------------

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

#2657685 - 05/09/04 05:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You are right

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2657697 - 05/09/04 05:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

thats why if it is beneficial,I think it would be more so for cubes like Texan strain,and gulf coast,treasure coast,acadians,ect..the ones that are from an enviroment where the temperture can drop like that.

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2659201 - 05/10/04 10:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeppee. It worked :wink: The first pins of my little shroomies have reached the light of the day !
As I said in another post, my problem was, that my grow-brick was totally overgrown with mycelia, which started to get hard. I cutted it about 1 cm with a sterile knife from above, but that's not where the shroomies show now. They came out at the side of the brick. The brick itself must be very compressed so I think I could have waited long. I waited at least almost one week after totally overgrowth.

So it was a good tip, I read before somewhere in this forum.
Three nights in the fridge overnight should start every cubensis to begin fruiting (of course if there's enough substrate and moisture left and the mycelium has grown already large enough).

Happy shrooming !

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale