Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Injection Ports

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineScandinavian
I'd rather ask than fail.
I'm a teapot

Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives?
    #26573759 - 04/02/20 07:03 PM (7 months, 22 days ago)

I always search before I post a question, and I couldn't find any answer even tho I figure I'm not alone at the moment.

The problem: coronavirus ๐Ÿ™ˆ the coronavirus has made rubbing alcohol a rare commodity, every pharmacy and store in the country is out! And so, soon am I ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

What are the alternatives?

I have 3 options in mind, if someone can weigh in please.

1. Biofuel 80-85% ethanol, butanone 5%, propane 15%

2. Acetone 100%

3. White spirit

If there's anything else more suited I would love to know, I'm going shopping tomorrow and town is pretty far away, so hoping to only make one trip ๐Ÿคž

Alcohol is heavily taxed, and only up to 60% is allowed without additives.

Bleach ive got plenty of, I usually wipe the bleach of with rubbing alcohol tho ๐Ÿค”

--------------------
I used to know quite a bit about mycology. I also used to know my old username and email, but then I lost my mind ๐Ÿ˜” I found my mind again, but it was lacking in info when I got it back, so here I am, a noob again๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜’

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineScandinavian
I'm a teapot

Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: Scandinavian]
    #26573766 - 04/02/20 07:07 PM (7 months, 22 days ago)

๐Ÿ™ˆ Old habit, I always search using the TC option.
Found an old thread, still open for suggestions tho.

The options I listed, I could get tomorrow if usable ๐Ÿค”

I saw thinner as an option, but they are usually not alcohol based where I live ๐Ÿ™„

--------------------
I used to know quite a bit about mycology. I also used to know my old username and email, but then I lost my mind ๐Ÿ˜” I found my mind again, but it was lacking in info when I got it back, so here I am, a noob again๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜’

InvisibleMuthaFudpuckerS
Just Strange

#26573777 - 04/02/20 07:13 PM (7 months, 22 days ago)

--------------------
My first grow journal - Know nothing noob's notes
How to succeed in mycology (and life) - know nothing, read everything, try something, and accept advice.

Edited by MuthaFudpucker (04/02/20 07:14 PM)

OfflineEricDeInstigator
Instigator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carolinas Flag
    #26573785 - 04/02/20 07:22 PM (7 months, 22 days ago)

Everclear would do the job.  It is good for many things and is nice to have around.  Some states make it a hassle to get. Bacardi 151 rum  is a second choice if Everclear is a problem.  I think most states have left the ABC stores open to avoid a mob of Alcoholics in the DTs taking over the hospitals.

Edited by EricDeInstigator (04/02/20 07:24 PM)

OfflineScandinavian
I'm a teapot

Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: EricDeInstigator]
    #26573800 - 04/02/20 07:30 PM (7 months, 22 days ago)

Tydygy, the stuff you linked to is pretty close to the biofuel ๐Ÿ‘Œ thinking I may give it a go ๐Ÿค”

Ericdeinstigator, ever clear etc isn't available here. Everything above 60% must be denautered ๐Ÿ™ˆ and most common alcohol products are sold out. It's insane how people have been stockpiling ๐Ÿ˜… after this pandemic, rubbing alcohol will basically be free on "Craigslist" ๐Ÿ‘Œ

--------------------

Edited by Scandinavian (04/02/20 07:31 PM)

OfflineDomno
Noob

#26574066 - 04/02/20 10:32 PM (7 months, 22 days ago)

I was going to use denatured alcahol and I bought some. When I got home and I was reading the ingredients, it said it had a bunch of chemicals that can cause cancer. Is it safe to use in this hobby?  It even warns against getting it on your skin. :/

OfflineQave
Stranger
Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: Domno]
    #26574349 - 04/03/20 02:03 AM (7 months, 22 days ago)

There are three major possibilities. In order of danger the first would be benzene. Ethanol and water have an azeotrope at 95% ethanol and unfortunately the azeotrope is usually defeated with benzene in anything not for human consumption. The next would be methanol. A little bit of methanol comes out in the early portions (heads) of distilling and I bet most of that stuff gets barreled up and sold as fuel alcohol. The final option is just the ethanol itself. Even though we know it's bad for us, the package still needs to carry the label.

OfflineDomno
Noob

Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: Qave]
    #26574662 - 04/03/20 08:09 AM (7 months, 21 days ago)

Yeah. I know we couldn't drink it. I didn't know it should't be on our skin.

InvisibleInfiniteDreams
Male

#26574699 - 04/03/20 08:37 AM (7 months, 21 days ago)

Alternative is to up your sterile technique and not use any of the above. 

I have done this and have no issues with contamination.

OfflineScandinavian
I'm a teapot

Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: InfiniteDreams]
    #26575896 - 04/03/20 08:10 PM (7 months, 21 days ago)

Quote:

InfiniteDreams said:

I only have a diy SAB to work in, and I've always used excessive amounts of alcohol.
I've never had any contam issues (had one Cas of the green when I first started), so I've been kind of scared to change anything.

I pretty much nailed the basics (brf) and tried grain with success before leaving the hobby 10yrs back, now that I'm at it again, I'll probably try experimenting a little.

Also, see sig ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜”

Too my question tho, do you use a flowhood, SAB or just a really clean environment?
Do you take other measures beyond just being cautious?

Kind of off topic, but you have me intrigued ๐Ÿ˜œ

--------------------

Invisibletramalot
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #26576406 - 04/04/20 12:35 AM (7 months, 21 days ago)

The cheapest I found was the alcohol in the paint department think it's like 10 bucks a quart

And if you have one of those home water distillers and if you know what you're doing you can use it to turn vodka in to about 60-70 percent in one run. I've got a cheap one from Amazon it's like a hundred bucks but the temperature is adjustable I set it for 75c and it just boils heavy alcohol straight over into a jug

--------------------
It's the Journey I enjoy!

OfflineFunguys95
Stranger
Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: tramalot]
    #26576507 - 04/04/20 02:01 AM (7 months, 21 days ago)

Would alcohol swabs work for injection ports? and a bleach solution work to spray down the SAB, jars, and surfaces?

OfflineQave
Stranger
    #26576516 - 04/04/20 02:11 AM (7 months, 21 days ago)

Quote:

Domno said:

Do you have more information about the alcohol you got. Unless it specifically says it's 99% (198 proof) it's probably 90-95% since that 5% difference doesn't so much. The big difference is going to be methanol content, if it's fuel alcohol I wouldn't trust it to be methanol free, but if it's denatured/rubbing alcohol from the drug store it should be fine.

InvisibleInfiniteDreams
Male

#26576974 - 04/04/20 10:52 AM (7 months, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Scandinavian said:
Quote:

InfiniteDreams said:

I only have a diy SAB to work in, and I've always used excessive amounts of alcohol.
I've never had any contam issues (had one Cas of the green when I first started), so I've been kind of scared to change anything.

I pretty much nailed the basics (brf) and tried grain with success before leaving the hobby 10yrs back, now that I'm at it again, I'll probably try experimenting a little.

Also, see sig ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜”

Too my question tho, do you use a flowhood, SAB or just a really clean environment?
Do you take other measures beyond just being cautious?

Kind of off topic, but you have me intrigued ๐Ÿ˜œ

Of course, and your sig resonates with me.  I missed the boat when this site changed hosts back in the early 00's so my account was lost.

I am working in a SAB.  I am doing agar, grain jars.  This is done in a kitchen.  I wash my dishes and put them away, but I am not meticulously clean by any means.  I quit turning off the air, using gloves, yada yada.  I wash my hands before I begin.  I flame sterilize the instruments.  I do spray the inside of the SAB with soapy water and let things sit inside on racks for 5-10 minutes before I begin.

Based on reading here I expected way more contamination than what I've experienced.  Out of hundreds of plates I have lost only a single one to yeast and maybe 4-5 had a visible mold contam show up.  And these were all germination plates, not transfers.  No jar has contamed.

I honestly don't know and am afraid to jinx this somehow.  Recently I took clones to agar without using the SAB and we'll see how that goes.  Once for fun I mashed my bare finger into an agar plate to see what would grow.  Nothing did and I threw out the plate weeks  later.

Maybe the air quality is just extremely high in my home.  I keep the filter changed regularly.

OfflineScandinavian
I'm a teapot

Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: InfiniteDreams]
    #26579842 - 04/05/20 04:56 PM (7 months, 19 days ago)

Quote:

I am working in a SAB.  I am doing agar, grain jars.  This is done in a kitchen.  I wash my dishes and put them away, but I am not meticulously clean by any means.  I quit turning off the air, using gloves, yada yada.  I wash my hands before I begin.  I flame sterilize the instruments.  I do spray the inside of the SAB with soapy water and let things sit inside on racks for 5-10 minutes before I begin.

Based on reading here I expected way more contamination than what I've experienced.  Out of hundreds of plates I have lost only a single one to yeast and maybe 4-5 had a visible mold contam show up.  And these were all germination plates, not transfers.  No jar has contamed.

I honestly don't know and am afraid to jinx this somehow.  Recently I took clones to agar without using the SAB and we'll see how that goes.  Once for fun I mashed my bare finger into an agar plate to see what would grow.  Nothing did and I threw out the plate weeks  later.

Maybe the air quality is just extremely high in my home.  I keep the filter changed regularly.

I have a wall mounted DIY SAB, I mounted on the wall with a tiny supporting shelf so I think that it would be hard for contams to get in.

I've also dedicated a room to the mushies, and the only thing in it is a fridge, SAB, a cabinet and a sfc, when I get the grains going I'll dedicate another room to the grow tent to avoid contam spores to mess up my work area if there should be any in spawn ๐Ÿ‘

Also, I've always used one time gloves and sleeves, PC every equipment and cleaned the work area in bleach then 75%.

One thing all my precautions have left me with, is a paranoia of contamination, since I've "never" had it I'm afraid I won't spot it, and everything less than thick healthy mycelium has me searching shroomery for pictures of every contaminant on earth ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿคฃ

--------------------

OfflineBabylon
Shaman

#26580727 - 04/05/20 11:57 PM (7 months, 19 days ago)

I've been using bleach water on my gloves and arms, and to wipe down the table and SAB.  I'm a complete noob though, so I may be doing the complete wrong thing, bleach is also hard to find at the store currently, I just have some and don't have so much alcohol.

OfflineScandinavian
I'm a teapot

Re: Emergency regarding rubbing alcohol, alternatives? [Re: Babylon]
    #26582231 - 04/06/20 06:23 PM (7 months, 18 days ago)

Both bleach and alcohol kill most germs, but there's some bleach won't kill, and some alcohol won't kill, Don't qoute me on that tho unless someone confirms it.๐Ÿค” That's just my thought process, but I'm paranoid about contams๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜…

Also alcohol evaporate away, so I use it to clean of the bleach, no residue ๐Ÿ‘

--------------------

OfflineQave
Stranger
    #26582766 - 04/06/20 10:06 PM (7 months, 18 days ago)

High enough concentration bleach solution kills f*king everything. Chlorox says it kills 99.98% of germs because that's the error limit of the test, not the limit of what bleach can kill. Bleach just rips things up on a chemical level (that's how it removes colors, the organic dye molecules get shredded into smaller, non-colored molecules). It's the chemical equivalent of flame sterilizing.

A 0.1% bleach, 0.1% vinegar solution is mild enough to be a no-rinse surface sanitizer. It's got a pretty short lifetime, though, so best used for home-brewing or prepping a bunch of monotubs. (do NOT mix the bleach and vinegar before adding it to the water, that will produce chlorine gas)

A 1-2% solution kills almost everything but you've got to wipe it off afterward. I've used this to clean bathroom fixtures and kitchen counters for years.

A 10+% solution is the nuclear option. There will be no survivors. Wear gloves.

OfflineDomno
Noob

#26583030 - 04/07/20 01:00 AM (7 months, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Qave said:
Quote:

Domno said:

Do you have more information about the alcohol you got. Unless it specifically says it's 99% (198 proof) it's probably 90-95% since that 5% difference doesn't so much. The big difference is going to be methanol content, if it's fuel alcohol I wouldn't trust it to be methanol free, but if it's denatured/rubbing alcohol from the drug store it should be fine.

I just got denatured alcohol from the paint department. It has a bunch of warnings about having chemicals known to cause cancer and some poison instructions for if it gets on the skin. So I think I'll stick to burning it.

On another note has anyone used any of the sanitizing solutions you can get from brew shops?

Edited by Domno (04/07/20 01:02 AM)

OfflineOldManRiver
Fisherman at large
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pacific NW USA
    #26583067 - 04/07/20 01:34 AM (7 months, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Qave said:
High enough concentration bleach solution kills f*king everything. Chlorox says it kills 99.98% of germs because that's the error limit of the test, not the limit of what bleach can kill.

A 1-2% solution kills almost everything but you've got to wipe it off afterward. I've used this to clean bathroom fixtures and kitchen counters for years.

The standard clorox spray I have here is 1.84% sodium hypochlorite, according to the label, and has been my gold standard since I started.  I have been very successful for a beginner.

I spray my hands and forearms with it before work in the SAB, then rinse with warm tap water, and dry with fresh paper towel. The surfaces are all wiped with clorox spray, before assembling materials for the work.  Then a spray inot the air in each armhole, and a ten minute wait.  I've now made dozens of various transfers with success, and no indication that my hands were an issue.  Clorox/bleach works.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Injection Ports

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started