Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
slow myc growth in casing
    #2654718 - 05/08/04 08:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hmm, we've got Allen strain brf/verm fully colonized cake crumbled and cased between two straight verm layers. I'm keeping it humid, fanning and misting at least three times a day. casing sitting at room temp (approx 70 degrees Farenheit). Mycelium is taking over painfully slowly. Fuzzy white first appeared about two weeks ago on top, and its coming, just increadibly slowly. At this rate it won't fully colonize for another three weeks.

Do you think the temp is too low (in which case I could place a light above it), or that I'm misting it too much/not enough? When the myc was first starting to show, i would pinch the surrounding verm to make sure I could extract a drop of water. Now I don't want to be touching it too much, so it's hard to know if it's getting too much/not enough water. I usually give 3-8 of the finest-setting water sprays each time the top comes off. Smells good every time i open it, and the lid always has moisture dripping from it. any help/suggestions?

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: slow myc growth in casing [Re: matt66]
    #2655140 - 05/08/04 10:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It sounds like you have it in the incubator? That is where you should have it for colonizing the casing layer,but the fanning and misting is a no no for this part of it's life. During this phase,as you are trying to get the myc to colonize the casing layer,you simply want to give it a steady temp around 84degF and keep the container its in covered in foil. You need a few small holes to give it some air exchange ,but during this time a build up of co2 is actually beneficial since it will keep the myc growing. Fanning and misting are only necessary when you initiate pinning once it goes into the fruiting chamber. Also you dont want the entire casing layer colonized. This is called overlay and it is not what you want. Once it is about 30%colonized,IMHO,you take off the foil and put it into the fruiting chamber. Then you start the fanning and misting to decrease the co2 level and keep the RH at around 90 percent. Hope this helps you out.

Good Luck
MYKEY

--------------------

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: Mykey]
    #2655195 - 05/08/04 10:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
Re: slow myc growth in casing [Re: Citric]
    #2656877 - 05/09/04 01:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

hey domey and mykey- thanks a bunch. Mykey, what you said may have taken you ten minutes to write out, but it just saved me so much time and aggravation had I continued misting and fanning at this stage. I was also completely surprised about the 30% colonized part. I think I need to do some re-reading as it sounds like I totally missed some key concepts. Thanks again!

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains