Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemagicschoolbus
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Shroomery Flag
Cork Borer for punching Agar innoculant
    #26568567 - 03/31/20 09:50 AM (10 months, 28 days ago)

Hey guys, I was watching a video about a company that was growing gourmet on a large scale and I saw they were still using individual grain spawn jars.

In the video, it showed a woman pull out a completely colonized agar plate and start punching a bunch of 3-4mm holes in the Agar. I think she was using a Cork Borer like this

Now I don't remember if she also used the same tool to pick the punched holes up and drop them into grain jars, or if she used the tool to punch them, then used a scalpel or tweezers to pick up the punched holes and drop them in.

Regardless, I kind of like this method, and was wondering if a Cork Borer is neccessary, or if there's a alternative tool or method, like a Straw or something. Although as I type this, I realize the Cork Borer is useful because it can be sterilized/torched of course. Amazon doesn't have any autoclavable/high quality Borers in a reasonable price range.

I realize you can just cut squares with a scalpel, but thats 4 precise movements, and I think I can be quicker and cleaner with this hole punch method. And get a lot more out of my cultures in terms of bulk expansion (rather than using larger slices and innnoculating a few masters and g2g'ing, do it all at once and spare the g2g)

--------------------
:trippinballs::trippinballs:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: Cork Borer for punching Agar innoculant [Re: magicschoolbus]
    #26568585 - 03/31/20 09:59 AM (10 months, 28 days ago)

Ive considered doing something similar. The part I cant quite figure is how to make the tool invert the plug after taking from donor plate. You don't really need to, but I feel for speed sake its nice to have myc to agar contact. With many edible species I can see this being a non issue as the myc is so fast anyways. Who knows, maybe myc on top of transfer is actually preferable to some.:shrug:

InvisibleStrainsfordaze

Re: Cork Borer for punching Agar innoculant [Re: magicschoolbus]
    #26568588 - 03/31/20 10:02 AM (10 months, 28 days ago)

Biopsy punches work as well but are typically a one time use (disposable). I have a set of cork borers I’ve only used them once then went back to a scalpel.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation