Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinethealienthatategod
retrovertigo
Female

if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it?
    #26565022 - 03/29/20 12:43 PM (11 months, 3 days ago)

one specific example of a message that needs to be communicated is Long-time nuclear waste warning messages summarized in the below video:

have you ever tried to read any work of Shakespeare in the Old English translation?  i find it pretty difficult, and usually have to read a sentence several times, before i can get what i believe is the gist of it.  if this was only 400 years ago, imagine how different language/communication will be in 1,000...4,100, or 10,000 years.

in the case of nuclear waste warning message, the recommendation is the placement of large symbolic signs and the creation of a myth and legend in an attempt to preserve the knowledge of grave danger.

Quote:

In Europe, the warning models rely mostly on integrating the waste disposal facilities within society so information about their presence can be passed on from generation to generation.

Linguist Thomas Sebeok, building on earlier work by Alvin Weinberg and Arsen Darnay and working as part of the Human Interference Task Force, proposed the creation of an atomic priesthood, a panel of experts comparable to the Catholic church, which has preserved and authorized its message for almost 2000 years. The priesthood would preserve the knowledge of radioactive waste's locations and dangers through rituals and myths.

French author Françoise Bastide and Italian semiotician Paolo Fabbri proposed that domestic cats be genetically engineered to change color in the presence of dangerous levels of radiation. The significance of these "radiation cats" or "ray cats" would be reinforced through fairy tales and myths, the story being that one should move away from sites where such creatures are encountered, or where domesticated cats begin to exhibit such behaviour. (from wikipedia link at top of this post)

did any ancient-past-humans try to send us a warning from tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago?

if so, what would they want to warn us about?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: thealienthatategod] * 1
    #26565100 - 03/29/20 01:19 PM (11 months, 3 days ago)

just be clear and honest about keeping records so that HISTORY can be the message to the future.

future beings do not want us to try to exercise control over their lives, so just keep it simple and honest.

--------------------

retrovertigo
Female

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26565491 - 03/29/20 04:58 PM (11 months, 3 days ago)

keeping records of history is one thing, but what about preserving knowledge?

i don't think communicating across thousands of years is as simple as leaving a message after the beep.

most likely the cultures that exist today will be long gone in 10,000 years.

don't you think the languages that are spoken today will be incomprehensible in the future?

how many Sanskrit speakers do you know?

let's say that, in some future, the only historical documents that survive were written in Sami, a language with only 300 native speakers.  in 10,000 years do you think there will be people fluent in Sami to interpret their historical documents?

in the case of the nuclear waste sites, do we hope that contorted faces will convey the right message?

this is an interesting way to convey a message:

Quote:

Another on the team, a Polish science fiction author, proposed engineering 'information plants' that would contain information about the dangers and location of radioactive waste coded into their DNA. He also suggested a network of artificial satellites transmitting this same data to Earth.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: thealienthatategod] * 1
    #26565545 - 03/29/20 05:18 PM (11 months, 3 days ago)

books are a great idea, especially books in multiple languages, especially books that can withstand the ravages of time.
the books should be full of truths, about what happened.
the message is one of striving and imperfection.

The radioactive symbol for nuclear waste should be a sufficient marker, but really we should not be leaving nuclear waste for our descendants to deal with.

--------------------

retrovertigo
Female

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26566728 - 03/30/20 10:16 AM (11 months, 2 days ago)

if humans have difficulty communicating a message across a room, occupying the same time, while speaking in the same language, then how are they going to have success in clearly communicating that message across 10,000 years?

in 10,000 years a radioactive hazard symbol could be a symbol for world peace.

and the nuclear waste is already here, and it's going to be sticking around for a long ass time.

Quote:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

--Groucho Marx

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26571598 - 04/01/20 06:44 PM (11 months, 3 hours ago)

Considering CRISPR technology, in the event we survive our follies as a species, it is questionable, whether future 'humans' will even be the same species.

The advantage of science fiction over religion, is that although both are fantasy, one expands the mind  by exploring multiple imaginative possibilities, while the other attempts to constrict the mind to old worn out ruts, reduce flexibility, and essentially turn an individual into a clone.

If the OP's question interests one, HG Wells Time Machine, explores one of many possibilities.

--------------------

Invisiblesudly
Darwin's stagger

#26572375 - 04/02/20 02:37 AM (10 months, 30 days ago)

I'd develop an idea till it was flawless and could be left stable on its own merits. To push the rock that starts the landslide

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: sudly] * 1
    #26572679 - 04/02/20 08:46 AM (10 months, 30 days ago)

you should find a good hill then

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
A Dying Hope
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #26572861 - 04/02/20 11:11 AM (10 months, 30 days ago)

I'd rather the future convey messages back to us. Because right now I'm not sure there is a future 'us' and it would be a bit of a relief to see something from the future :lol:

--------------------
Being unable to make what is just strong,
we have made what is strong just. -- Pascal

Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: Kickle] * 1
    #26572948 - 04/02/20 12:08 PM (10 months, 30 days ago)

I see, since our descendants have sent no messages back to us, they obviously do not exist,
all are doomed.
except, time travel is imaginary, and it is just us who lack imagination to see they are already here.

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
A Dying Hope
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #26572959 - 04/02/20 12:15 PM (10 months, 30 days ago)

No. I thought we were playing a hypothetical desire game so I said mine.

The wisdom from the past usually doesn't pan out as expected IMO so it seems mostly guesswork with regards to what will stick

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: Kickle] * 1
    #26573092 - 04/02/20 01:24 PM (10 months, 30 days ago)

really enjoying how your avatar got Hokusai so stoned that Ganesh is dancing in the waves.

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
A Dying Hope
 User Gallery

#26573128 - 04/02/20 01:39 PM (10 months, 30 days ago)

Looked more accurate to me

--------------------

InvisibleR.I.P.Zappa
Myco Melyco

Loc: In Between Space and Time Flag
Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: redgreenvines] * 2
    #26573154 - 04/02/20 01:53 PM (10 months, 30 days ago)

Whos to say our ancestors didn't already warn us but others turned it into corrupted fan fiction and religion?
:brbjesus:  :hitler:  :ancientaliens:  :puppetmaster: 

I'd carve our story in stone to stand the test of time but the amnesia filled arrogance of humanity would probably prevail as it does now. :goodday:

--------------------
-The heaviest thing one will ever carry is a thought-
-"Like a Blind man In an orgy you gotta feel things out.".-
-When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality".-
-If you defy authority because your told to, that's no better than blindly trusting authority.-

psychonautwiki.org

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.
Principles of mushroom growing for beginners

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: R.I.P.Zappa] * 1
    #26573200 - 04/02/20 02:22 PM (10 months, 30 days ago)

Do we understand the pyramids?
Or know how they were built?

Nope.
They really are don't seem at all like the tombs in the valley of the kings, etc.
If they are not tombs, what are they?
We don't know how much ancient stone work was done.

Seem to me this might be relevant.

--------------------

Invisiblesudly
Darwin's stagger

#26574399 - 04/03/20 03:59 AM (10 months, 29 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
you should find a good hill then

Aye; there sits a large one atop.

--------------------

Invisiblesudly
Darwin's stagger

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: sudly] * 1
    #26574401 - 04/03/20 04:01 AM (10 months, 29 days ago)

You wouldn't see the moon without the Sun :wink:

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26574995 - 04/03/20 12:37 PM (10 months, 29 days ago)

you going to roll a moon? I'd prefer some tits.

--------------------

Invisiblesudly
Darwin's stagger

#26576969 - 04/04/20 11:49 AM (10 months, 28 days ago)

Just trying to see if pulleys work.

--------------------

retrovertigo
Female

Re: if you wanted to convey a message to future humans how would you do it? [Re: laughingdog]
    #26579560 - 04/05/20 03:47 PM (10 months, 27 days ago)

there's almost no way that in the future, if i find a message communicated to me, that i will attribute to the words or symbols communicated in the message, the meanings that they were intended to bear.  what if instead of words or symbols the message was in frequencies.

maybe in our ancient past our ancestors knew that they could not communicate with language, so they communicated with things like sound/resonance/frequency.  there are theories that the pyramids of ancient Egypt could have been some kind of sound resonance device/chamber.  resonance technologies appear to exist in many ancient artifacts and architectures.  we know that sound frequencies can alter brain activity.  if ancient cultures had a superior understanding to ours as to how sound can alter states of consciousness, then maybe they used these sound chambers to communicate.  compared to words, frequencies are more likely to be understood in the intended way, as a sound can then have its own meaning.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology