Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA Flag
Subaeruginosa Guide * 62
    #26552041 - 03/22/20 10:59 PM (4 years, 6 days ago)

General Info

Psilocybe subaeruginosa is a saprotrophic mushroom which feeds off ligneous material. It prefers oceanic climate and is present in warm summer temperate climates (Koppen climate types). It requires cool-cold days (not freezing) and ample rain which occur in Australian Autumns and Winters.

Distribution

NSW, VIC, SA, ACT, WA, SE QLD, TAS, NZ

Identifying

Cap: Conical in immaturity (immature specimens called "pins"), convex,  often umbonate. Varies in colour, can be yellow, orange, reddish-brown or brown. Displays hygrophanous fading.
Stem: White and hollow, firm with fibrous texture.
Gills: Cream, tan to dark brown/purple
Spore: Purple, purple-brown.  Rarely chocolate brown .
Bruising: Light to navy blue, pronounced on stem. Cap can have green blotches.

Examples of pins

Examples of bluing.

Example of hygrophanous fading.

Season

April - September
Subs have been found from late-February to mid-October, it's all dependent on conditions. After the temperatures have dropped and decent amounts of rain have fallen, there's a chance of finding them.
Generally i've found the temperature should be roughly in the range of 5-15 degrees Celsius, at least to start initial fruiting and there should be two rain events. That is 15-20mm should fall in Autumn (March onwards). A few days of exposure to this moisture will cause mycelium to "reawaken", than another rain event should occur of at least 10mm which should trigger fruiting. These rain events should be a cold front which generally last 1-3 days.

Habitat

Habitat is quite variable with some definite common factors. The three common types of habitat are:

• Eucalypt Forests (Native forests, typically areas with green under stories and not scrub-land)
• Pine plantations (Favoring areas with greenery, such as grasses and bracken)
• Woody mulches (Woodchips of hardwoods (e.g. eucalyptus) and pine, broken up twigs/branches)

Eucalypt forests: Things to look for within Eucalypt forests are: grasses, bracken ferns, rich soil, fallen branches and bark, these all make for a good habitat. This is because a canopy and understory holds moisture in for longer, limits sun exposure hence dropping the temperature at least a little bit. Eucalypt forests are recommended to search if you are a beginner. Eucalypt subs are generally medium-stout and of medium height, though long grasses can cause tall stems. Grasses in eucalypt forests tend to be rank grasses, long tufts or a patchy matt of short thick grass and even mosses. Such vegetation enhances water retention as well as keeps the soil cooler and provides more shade. In eucalypt woodlands there might be eucalypt trees whose bases are littered with fallen bark, which blankets the area round the tree, this can yield subaeruginosa. Fallen bark also provides better water retention and keeps the soil cool, though it may take longer for rain to penetrate and take some time to colonize. It can be worthwhile noting such areas and checking them in following years. It is also advisable to check the perimeter/outskirts of forests/woodlands. At the outskirts vegetation isnt too thick, and the area is more open which allows for more rain to penetrate the soil/woody debris.

Grassy Eucalyptus forests                                                  Subs in Euc forests

Pine plantations are an interesting choice of habitat for subs as they are an introduced species and fruiting is quite random, high yield or low yield. Subs that grow in pine forests are typically long stemmed and thin. Pine plantations are mono-cultures, though if other plants were there previously and have not been destroyed or some other plants have grown there at a later date, it is preferable.  In my experience, it is a much better sign when there is more biodiversity in a pine plantation rather than merely a blanket of pine needles. The same factors which enhance eucalypt woodlands also enhance pine plantations : rank grasses, bracken fern, any vegetation and fallen branches. Additionally, I think variations in the terrain such as creeks, hills and valleys are also signs indicating a greater chance of success. These all form microclimates which can be conducive to the fruiting of subaeruginosa. They generally promote water retention, shade, cooler soil and increased water runoff. It can be worth to check areas with vegetation such as grasses or fern on the borders of pine plantations.

Pine Plantation                      Fallen Branch                        Pine w/ undergrowth            Sub in pine plantation

Woodchips are a condensed form of what subs like to feed on, wood. These habitats can yield the most per m2. The subs which fruit off woodchips are typically shorter, thick-stemmed and arguably the most potent. It can take longer for woodchip patches to fruit, as they are generally in more populace areas, which have milder conditions than hills and forests.  Eucalypt, pine and mixed woodchips (such as a leaf mulch) are all good for subs. Deep laying of woodchips gives more room for growth and aged woodchips are easier to colonize due to nutrients having greater availability. Shade from trees and fences can shield sunlight making an area have more favourable conditions. Ornamental and native shrubbery also provide microclimates such as Lomandra, Agapantha and Hardenbergia. It is advisable to check woodchip patches which at least have the cover of trees and aren't completely exposed to the sun, shrubbery (even weeds and tufts of grasses) are a bonus.

Landscaped gardens                                                          With Eucalypt foliage            Subs on Woodchips

Photography tips

* Choose an appropriate resolution. My camera has limited options, 2048 x 1536 is my favorite. Decent size but not too big.
*Learn to hold the camera still as possible as you are taking the shot.
* Take several photographs, this can compensate for the last point to a degree. Always take multiple shots.
*To add to the last two points take multiple shots from several different angles. Also slightly adjust the angle or distance of the current position. Move back a little bit. Sometimes you just can't get a good shot from a certain distance or angle so a slight adjustment can fix this.
* Pay attention to the display on the camera, it is a good indication of whether the shot is in focus.
*Pick your day, not as essential, but I prefer to go on an overcast day after or before rains. The mushrooms won't be overly reflective and covered in water or excess sunshine causing overexposure. You can't always control this and this is my preference for the perfect shot.

Gallery
Eucalyptus Woodlands

Woodchips/Woody Debris

The purpose of this is guide is to finding this and similair mushrooms for photography purposes only.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: OOISI] * 2
    #26552500 - 03/23/20 07:12 AM (4 years, 5 days ago)

When photographing mushrooms,  use the macro function on your camera, mine has 3 different sized leaves with the largest being the macro. Some will have flowers or something, also play with the white balance and lighting on your camera,  it makes all the difference when taking pictures of white objects. Great suggestions, thank you for taking the time to give back to the community.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: Doc9151]
    #26555922 - 03/24/20 08:36 PM (4 years, 4 days ago)

Much appreciated Doc and thanks for the tip! I hope to add more the guide and edit it when I think of more stuff and have more observations.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Bless the Lord, O my soul O my soul Worship His holy name.

Invisibledoctorghosty
is the name of me
Male User Gallery

Loc: North GA, God's fav
Trusted Identifier
Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: OOISI] * 1
    #26555938 - 03/24/20 08:42 PM (4 years, 4 days ago)

Nice guide mate.

InvisibleR3dstaffy
💤
Male

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: doctorghosty] * 1
    #26597269 - 04/13/20 05:36 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by R3dstaffy (07/23/20 04:11 PM)

Offlinetassiescott
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26601687 - 04/14/20 09:53 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks man, as a total newb that was awesome in pointing me in the right direction.

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: tassiescott] * 1
    #26609135 - 04/17/20 09:10 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

now you have to make one for alutacea and one for purpuratus

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: tryptonite] * 1
    #26609336 - 04/17/20 11:27 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

tryptonite said:
now you have to make one for alutacea and one for purpuratus

It'd be nice to find em first.

Bob has you covered though:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22172072/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineImInATrip
ImInATrip

Loc: ImInATrip
    #26620617 - 04/22/20 05:18 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Best subbie guide. Thanks heaps mate!

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: ImInATrip]
    #26623303 - 04/23/20 07:54 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

No problem, hope it helps.

As a side note if anyone finds the guide useful, likes the information in it etc, could you please upvote it by hitting the plus symbol at the top of the first post?

Update: I changed/added some information in the season section regarding conditions for triggering fruiting.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineShroomhunts
Hunter Gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
    #26623393 - 04/23/20 08:33 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Great guide

--------------------

You never kno

Offlinemollytrolley
Local Legend
I'm a teapot

Loc: Sloth Australia
Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: Shroomhunts] * 1
    #26623989 - 04/24/20 06:01 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Mad Guide.
Those Eucalyptus pics look familiar, though they could be anywhere.

OfflineMarcusxjansen
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: mollytrolley] * 1
    #26633503 - 04/28/20 03:08 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Fantastic guide. Many thanks for putting the time in to make this.

InvisibleThe Thing
ТнغТнརиو
Male User Gallery

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: Marcusxjansen] * 1
    #26636032 - 04/29/20 04:55 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

You left out the ACT in the locations bit..

:notsureif:

:takingnotes: :super:

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: The Thing]
    #26636036 - 04/29/20 05:01 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Haha. Thanks mate, added!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineFATY
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26636079 - 04/29/20 05:38 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

This is gold 👌 awesome mate cheers.

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: FATY] * 1
    #26636284 - 04/29/20 08:41 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I've been meaning to fav this thread so it's easier to share, I may just add it to my signature if that's ok with you OOISI

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

InvisibleZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: Doc9151] * 1
    #26636726 - 04/29/20 12:12 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Beautiful pics & AWESOME write up 00ISI!!

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Subaeruginosa Guide [Re: Doc9151]
    #26637524 - 04/29/20 07:38 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc9151 said:
I've been meaning to fav this thread so it's easier to share, I may just add it to my signature if that's ok with you OOISI

It would be an honour!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Offlinemagoogle
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26637922 - 04/29/20 11:48 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Excellent guide, thanks for your efforts. Added my vote.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies