Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: christopera]
    #26560999 - 03/27/20 11:36 AM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

christopera said:
My company does all sorts of painting, most of it cementitious. Paint choice comes down to what the engineer approves. From there we thin it, either we don't tell a soul or just lie about it, and then use it. Often the application conditions aren't met, because trying to paint between 60F and 75F with less than 40% humidity is too small of a range 80% of the time in the North East, so we lie about that too. Usually, the paint application goes just fine and we don't have to do any warranty work. This is true for a huge range of manufacturers, the one exception being a PPG paint application we did. Being in Pittsburgh, there's a main PPG mixer in the city, so we can get really good deals on PPG, especially in that we don't have to pay for shipping. We painted a huge cement structure and a lot of that paint fell off. We've been back to that structure annually to fix that issue. The warranty is for five years, we are on year three. We haven't used PPG paint since.

You should look into the concept of efflorescence. No link cause I'm on mobile. Though, I guess you gotta work with what you've got.

PPG has a tendency to try to do their own thing, instead of relying on our (much more competent) R+D like most. I think it saves them a couple bucks.

That's speculation, though. I'm on the engineering side, not customer interactions. I just know our people hate doing PPG work.

I will also add, we account for people not painting within the recommended conditions. At least, when we do our "model" paints that we suggest to customers. It might say 15-25C and less than 50% humidity on the tin, but we've tested it down to 5C and 95% humidity.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycosis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSA Flag
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Kryptos]
    #26561006 - 03/27/20 11:40 AM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Who knew there were so many coatings nerds on the Shroomery? :shrug:

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: mycosis] * 1
    #26561034 - 03/27/20 11:53 AM (3 months, 12 days ago)

I'm a general nerd, and in the pursuit of constant raises I don't stay at a single job for more than a year or two.

During my recent hiatus I happened to join the coatings industry. Six months ago I ran an analytical lab for a medical clinic.

Pretty good timing on getting out of medical industry, I think. Coronavirus would have been a nightmare.

Edited by Kryptos (03/27/20 12:05 PM)

Offlinechristopera
Stranger

Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: ballsalsa] * 1
    #26561058 - 03/27/20 12:02 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

ballsalsa said:
I sprayed a bunch of epoxy through a cheap wagner sprayer once.  Sealing a pond.  I had to have a helper mixing and loading material into the machine as I went because the rep told me that if I stopped spraying even for a few seconds, the shit would set up in the machine and I would be fucked. Anyway, I had to etch the pond with some muriatic acid so the shit would stick properly.  My understanding is that the etching is more important the newer the concrete is because of the lime or whatever that leaches from the cement.

We do loads of epoxies and polyurethanes. One job I managed we applied 175k gallons of epoxy. We never acid etch, we just shot blast the surface and apply, age of the concrete not withstanding. Our pumps get cleaned out with a bunch of nasty shit, no fun, but we still do a lot of hand mixing. Depending on the size of the job, hand mixing and squeegeeing is actually faster.

We also do Polyurea which is fairly cutting edge. We've been doing that for about 4 years. I figure it will start trickling into residential applications soon if it hasn't already.

--------------------
A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger
    #26561063 - 03/27/20 12:03 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Ive used ppg for every car project I’ve done , this land cruiser required a ton of paint , nothing fell off , not even 2 years later when I traded it .

--------------------

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Psilynut2]
    #26561075 - 03/27/20 12:08 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
Ive used ppg for every car project I’ve done , this land cruiser required a ton of paint , nothing fell off , not even 2 years later when I traded it .

Car paint and house paint are very different. Hell, the paint on the outside of your house and the paint on the inside of your house barely resemble each other besides the absolute basic ingredient types (for example, both have pigments, through the pigments are different).

Invisiblemycosis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSA Flag
    #26561371 - 03/27/20 03:12 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

I was never the least bit interested in paint until I took a NACE class. I was dreading it thinking it would be boring as hell but I actually found it pretty interesting and by the end of the ordeal I was pretty into it.

The final exam for that course was possibly the most intense 60 minutes of my life. It was a complete blur. I can barely remember what happened in that room but I passed somehow.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: mycosis] * 5
    #26561408 - 03/27/20 03:34 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

The EPA just announced it will not be enforcing pollution laws during the pandemic.

Quote:

Under the new policy (pdf), which the EPA insisted is temporary while providing no timeframe, big polluters will effectively be trusted to regulate themselves and will not be punished for failing to comply with reporting rules and other requirements. The order—applied retroactively beginning March 13, 2020—requests that companies "act responsibly" to avoid violations

I'm sure they will all do the right thing.
:doublefacepalm:

OfflineStable Genius
.... in the loop
 User Gallery

Loc: Wide Bay, Aus Flag
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Ran-D]
    #26561435 - 03/27/20 03:47 PM (3 months, 12 days ago)

Laugh.... if you dare

Offlineliving_failure
unworthy
Male

Loc: spain, madrid
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Kryptos] * 1
    #26562533 - 03/28/20 04:58 AM (3 months, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

Psilynut2 said:

Car paint and house paint are very different. Hell, the paint on the outside of your house and the paint on the inside of your house barely resemble each other besides the absolute basic ingredient types (for example, both have pigments, through the pigments are different).

When you paint your house from outside it becomes bigger.
When you paint it from the inside it becomes smaller.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: living_failure] * 1
    #26562541 - 03/28/20 05:10 AM (3 months, 11 days ago)

:ancientaliens:

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Ran-D] * 4
    #26562576 - 03/28/20 06:03 AM (3 months, 11 days ago)

The U.S. became the first country to go over 100,000 cases on Friday.
Finally we're #1 in something besides number of incarcerated.

MAGA

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

Offlineliving_failure
unworthy
Male

Loc: spain, madrid
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Brian Jones]
    #26562611 - 03/28/20 06:59 AM (3 months, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
The U.S. became the first country to go over 100,000 cases on Friday.
Finally we're #1 in something besides number of incarcerated.

MAGA

To be honest, Spain have more cases, just less confirmed, for sure (and in less space, most of it in Madrid and Barcelona)

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: living_failure]
    #26562717 - 03/28/20 08:51 AM (3 months, 11 days ago)

My wife’s  cousin lives in Spain , he and his boyfriend both caught this shit . It was a mild flu for one and a bad flu for the other . They are both in their early 30s .

--------------------

InvisibleballsalsaM
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: living_failure] * 1
    #26562747 - 03/28/20 09:05 AM (3 months, 11 days ago)

Quote:

living_failure said:

When you paint your house from outside it becomes bigger.
When you paint it from the inside it becomes smaller.

Unless you live in this house:

--------------------
Don't click this link                                         

OfflineStable Genius
.... in the loop
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: ballsalsa] * 1
    #26563572 - 03/28/20 04:02 PM (3 months, 11 days ago)

If the government here is serious about the growing problem caused by the half arsed isolation policy that we are struggling to deal with then they need to come up with a better plan to clamp down on people's movements further.

People like myself need to be instructed to close business, across the country, all of us.

I was talking to a butcher the other day... he has tried his utmost to comply with the social distancing rules but as usual it's the idiot's that are ruining everyone's compliance.
He said the people in his shop would all be 1.5mtrs apart and then some fool will walk straight through the line, walk over to the meat cabinet etc, completely oblivious to what's going on.

The latest talk is we need to keep 8 out of 10 people at home. 7 out of 10 is not enough.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/coronavirus-options-to-end-lockdown-explained/12090270

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/coronavirus-covid-19-modelling-stay-home-chart/12084144

Invisibledbreeze
Stranger
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Stable Genius] * 1
    #26563621 - 03/28/20 04:29 PM (3 months, 10 days ago)

Trump said today he is thinking about quarantining NY NJ and parts of CT...he said he hasnt decided but will very soon however he made it a point to say "truck drivers and trade will not be effected" so i think he already made his mind up to do it just "buffering" the decision....so far we dont know what this quarantine  will actually be. restricted travel out of state, county ect... It is a monumental decision but something like this hasnt happened in modern history...what do ya do? certainly people shouldnt be running and spreading it to other states. there had been lots from ny going to fl and RI...RI actually made a law that if you came there from NY you MUST isolate for 14 dyas i think. People didnt take it seriously and now NY is getting hit and hit hard! They have turned the javits center and westchester county center along with 2 other places into temp. hospitals and just aproved 4 more locations and scouting for more...So for all the people that thought this was a joke i have never seen places like that turned into hospitals Its getting bad! I guess we will see what this quarantine actually is soon.....

InvisibleGuy1980
 User Gallery
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Stable Genius]
    #26563625 - 03/28/20 04:30 PM (3 months, 10 days ago)

It's similar in the UK.  People seem to be getting behind it now, but it's taking social pressure and the police to make it happen. 

It needs draconian enforcement IMO.  Start heavy and ease off as we can see it working.

OfflineStable Genius
.... in the loop
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Guy1980] * 2
    #26563647 - 03/28/20 04:41 PM (3 months, 10 days ago)

Yep, I hate to admit we need the police to wake people up but there's no other option with a small %.

Also, we definitely need a more coherent public policy from the Prime Minister.

Sammy J explains the confusion

Invisibledbreeze
Stranger
Re: Coronavirus Chat [Re: Stable Genius]
    #26563701 - 03/28/20 05:02 PM (3 months, 10 days ago)

Quote:

Stable Genius said:
Yep, I hate to admit we need the police to wake people up but there's no other option with a small %.

Shity situation but true. I knew it wasnt going to be good but didnt think it would be this bad. NYC has been using refrigerator trucks for body's the last time that was done was 9/11...I get some people are panicking and running from NYC but that makes this worse every where just stay in! I am in a bad spot and HAVE to go out every morning but really wish i didnt....I am HOPING that people start to wake up because if travel restrictions happen here and people still dont listen it will only get worse. Cant even imagine if they try and completely lock down NYC people will panic and chaos will happen.

The one thing i didnt like to see when govenor cuomo of ny was asked did you talk to trump about him quarantining ny he responded " No i spoke with him this morning but he didnt say anything, i dont know how and if it could be legally enforced and i dont like the sound of it" Cuomo was completly in the dark. I would think if your even thinkiing about restricting travel in a entire state you would mention it to the govenor esspecially if you were on the phone with him a couple hours before you said on TV and twitter you were thinking about this...fact is it can be legal enforced tho but still cuomo should have been in the loop. But hey thats trump he does his own thing i guess

Edited by dbreeze (03/28/20 05:07 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Political Discussion