Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

My Beautiful Poppies!
    #2655022 - 05/08/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekiss5150
The SweetestPain

Loc: Indiana
Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: ]
    #2655026 - 05/08/04 10:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ummm...Kill the ants???.....Raid!!!

Anonymous

Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: kiss5150]
    #2655034 - 05/08/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinekiss5150
The SweetestPain

Loc: Indiana
    #2655050 - 05/08/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Poor salt water down the hole...that'll kill them....or gas.....

I know their are some old school ant killer remedies...but I forget them at the moment..

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
    #2655279 - 05/08/04 11:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hey Mr.Mushrooms,how ya doin bro?
You got any pics of little poppys that are just sprouting up out of the ground?
Im just curious to see what they look like.
Ive got some on the way and this will be my first time growing.
Ive searched on Yahoo a ton of times but cant come up with any results that Im wanting.
Thanks a million,
Peace,
PF~
P.S.-Im very sorry about your plants.Maybe you could trick the ants into leaving the area where your poppys are.Put a rotten apple about 5-10 feet from your garden area and go check on it quite frequently and just kill the ants that are on their way too or from the apple and sooner or later most of the ants out of that colony will die,therefor killing the rest of the ants underground that dont a source of food.
Peace,
PF~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Anonymous

Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: pfshroomer]
    #2655343 - 05/08/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
    #2655381 - 05/08/04 11:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

sounds like a beautiful garden.
good luck with those damned ants.
peace,
pf~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

#2656114 - 05/09/04 07:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

the same happened to my poppies!
there were SOOO many ants and other likkle insects that were leeching their health :frown:
I didn't find solution though. Also I grew poppies only 1 time, and that's when that happened. The opium tea was cool though, even though I made it kinda lame :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that was a big time night. LSA, Opium, mushrooms, alcohol, lots of weed. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hehehe

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Edited by T0aD (05/09/04 07:52 AM)

OfflineLuNaTiX
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2656222 - 05/09/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I bet if you soaked their nest in gas and lit it on fire it would do some damange.

--------------------

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #2656659 - 05/09/04 12:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

One of my patches has had a colony of ants move in, but they don't seem to be bothering the poppies. I haven't been back to the patch in a few days though, so now you have me worried.... :confused:

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2659243 - 05/10/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=faq&id=Ant%20control

SPRAYS

1. Follow the ant trails and locate the nest entrance.

2. Spray a circle of about half a metre radius around the entrance with either pyrethrin as the active ingredient or an emulsion containing 1/4 cup kerosene, 1/4 cup liquid detergent and 4 dessert spoons of vegetable oil in 1/2 litre water (shake mixture well before spraying).
3. Pour about a cup of water slowly into the entrance of the nest- Allow a few minutes for the ants to leave the nest and then spray (as above) all the ants that collect within the circle.

4. Bait the ant tracts and nest area with a mixture of 1 cup of sugar, 4 level teaspoons of boric acid or borax in 3 cups of water. Stir the mixture until all the solids are dissolved then pour into small screwtop jars which are loosely packed with cotton wool to half their depth. The cotton wool should be saturated with bait solution and the lids put on tightly and secured with adhesive tape. Pierce the centre of the lids with 2-3 small holes to allow the ants to get into the baits. Lay 3-6 baits, depending on the size of the ant population. This procedure may be repeated every 2-3 days until the ant population declines.

DISRUPTION

Ants need to be constantly managed in order to keep their numbers under control. Every time you see them under rocks, logs, bricks and so on in the garden, disturb their activities. This can be done by squirting with water while gardening or moving the brick etc. under which they are nesting. Each time you do this, it decreases the chance that workers will successfully return to the colony with food. Over time, this has quite an impact on the size of the colony. You can also disrupt ant trails with talcum powder indoors or outdoors. This harmless technique usually succeeds in causing the ants to move somewhere else. (Talcum powder sprinkled on hands and feet while gardening stops ants pestering you too.) Outdoors talcum powder is quickly blown away so you might like to try diatomaceous earth (available from swimming pool supply shops). This is simply microscopic shells of marine animals and is also effective in disrupting ant trails and so reducing the ants' time for food gathering.

GREASE BARRIERS

Grease or petroleum jelly may be applied to verandah posts or trees to form a barrier against ants. The sticky strip will prevent ants from 'farming' the honeydew excreted by aphids, scale, lerps and other sap-sucking insects. The sap-sucking insects will thus not be protected by ants and their numbers will be controlled by natural predators like ladybirds which are usually driven away by ants.The grease strips may also lead to a decrease in viruses and other diseases spread by ants.

If grease or petroleum jelly is used on trees, the grease etc. can be applied on a metal strip, padded by cloth and circling the main trunk. The foliage of the treated tree should not be touching nearby trees.

These barriers need to checked regularly as dust and leaves build up on the grease strips and decrease their efficiency.

Grease would work if used around the sides/edges of a seed raising tray i.e. like pic. Not sure if you've direct planted or tray started?

Quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s149547.htm

Ants can be a major problem, carrying scale and other sap-suckers onto plants. A good remedy is: 2 tblsp powdered borax, 1 cup brown sugar, 2 cups water. Stir to dissolve, and bring slowly to the boil. When it boils take it off the heat and cool. It can be placed in shallow jar lids under plants where ants are a pest.

For what it's worth, I've used "Ant Killer" poison, active constituent Chlorpyrifos (never noted any phytotoxic drama), it works well -- the ants go beserk and attack each other, but they keep coming back.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Anonymous

Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: Starter]
    #2661290 - 05/10/04 08:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
    #2662306 - 05/11/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

he lives....MM is alive :grin:

Offlinejuende
feministpresence

#2662862 - 05/11/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yay! good luck with your poppies. i just went outside and saw tons of little leaves [ i need to space them out more next time]... i don't have a camera either to post pics of them :frown:

as for the ants i read some where about using diluted vineger from a oragnic farmering book. they don't like them smell or something. but if the ants are uprooting them and such  they may not be your ordinary ants :devil:. and if you kill off all the ants some other bugs might become a promblem.

Starter that is some wonderful advise but i try to stay away from putting detergent and other chemical in my garden. do you have any other tips about oragnic alternatives?

Anonymous

Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: juende]
    #2665769 - 05/11/04 09:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinejuende
feministpresence

#2666353 - 05/11/04 11:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah i've always had a hell of a time trying to find a 'raid' alternative that worked. but cuz we're using such strong chemicals the antz and whatever are just getting more resiliant and we're left with the option of spray or more spray...

my patch is small now and the antz don't seem to be a promblem so far....

so does this mean that there's no hope in saving your 'patch' this year mr. mushroom?

Anonymous

Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: juende]
    #2666469 - 05/12/04 12:19 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineSuperfrk
Stranger
    #2673896 - 05/13/04 02:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Go to Kmart / wal-mart and ask for malathon it is used in Veggie gardens so it is relitivly safe for the poppies. Other than that you could get some of the bait traps cover them with a bowl placed with one end on a stick, just so they can still get to the traps, they will carry it to the ant hill and with luck kill all of them off. You do not want to put anything to harsh on because it will make its way into your growing poppies.

Anonymous

Re: My Beautiful Poppies! [Re: Superfrk]
    #2684061 - 05/15/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2684093 - 05/15/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That sucks man! I hope the treatment works. The only things i know is maybe using some kind of detergent to kill their nest. Make sure you see where they come from. Ants suck, make sure they are not in your house either. If they are big black ants, they could be carpenter ants, then... that wouldnt be soo good. Guerillas! lol. Good luck man.  :laugh:

--------------------
What?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies