Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Grapefruit]
    #26559488 - 03/26/20 04:12 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

It's ideals all the way down until reality meets the pavement. And the reality before this was poor care for veterans, the disabled, the elderly, and large swathes of our populace living paycheck to paycheck.

Now we reduce the economic outlook for all of these categories and somehow it's not important? I disagree.

"More than 74 percent of employees in America would experience financial difficulty if their paychecks were delayed for a week, according to results from the 2019 "Getting Paid In America" survey conducted by the American Payroll Association (APA)."

There is significant wealth in America but it's not with the masses. The masses are not able to take care of one another because they are struggling to take care of themselves. I live quite modestly -- I drive a 2002 vehicle that I inherited, I haven't been to a movie theater in years (my luxury item is monthly internet payments), and I buy my groceries in bulk a week at a time and plan every meal. But if I had a family of 4, working the 60+ hours a week that I do, I would not be able to support them. Just saying. With just myself I have been able to save for retirement at a decent rate and support pre-existing family as needed. Oh and I've been lucky to not have any medical bills that would take all that away :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Kickle]
    #26559765 - 03/26/20 06:24 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

needs no comment

"A Day in the Life of an ER Doc on the COVID-19 Frontlines"

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: laughingdog]
    #26559801 - 03/26/20 06:51 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

also needs no comment

The shocking centre of the COVID-19 crisis--Italy

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Kickle] * 1
    #26559886 - 03/26/20 07:35 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
It's ideals all the way down until reality meets the pavement. And the reality before this was poor care for veterans, the disabled, the elderly, and large swathes of our populace living paycheck to paycheck.

Now we reduce the economic outlook for all of these categories and somehow it's not important? I disagree.

"More than 74 percent of employees in America would experience financial difficulty if their paychecks were delayed for a week, according to results from the 2019 "Getting Paid In America" survey conducted by the American Payroll Association (APA)."

There is significant wealth in America but it's not with the masses. The masses are not able to take care of one another because they are struggling to take care of themselves. I live quite modestly -- I drive a 2002 vehicle that I inherited, I haven't been to a movie theater in years (my luxury item is monthly internet payments), and I buy my groceries in bulk a week at a time and plan every meal. But if I had a family of 4, working the 60+ hours a week that I do, I would not be able to support them. Just saying. With just myself I have been able to save for retirement at a decent rate and support pre-existing family as needed. Oh and I've been lucky to not have any medical bills that would take all that away :lol:

Not to say anything about your own situation but you guys work like dogs in America and get fuck all holiday pay and a shitty minimum wage despite having a good GDP. That country let the elite get totally out of check because even the smart ones listened to nutjobs like Ayn Rand for some reason.

You are so out of step with better developed and more caring democracies it honestly looks completely unreal to most of us Europeans, damn near all us from the left to the right are looking over there and are completely unable to understand you and what you seem to want. Your left is seemingly still what we call right wing over here because you've had such a huge hate boner to communism for whatever reason and everyone is ready to point the finger at anyone even marginally left of centre.

I was really hopeful you guys would see some sense and vote someone like bernie in but it seems like you basically want more than the same with another twat like Biden, or you'll just vote Trump again and fuck it all. I get depressed about the way my country is heading sometimes but I still see glimmers of hope here from time to time. Everybody loves the healthcare system and is willing to stick up for it even the most conservative of us, seems they would rather steadily undermine it.

If America gets shot in the foot hard by this virus then you have all my sympathies but the writing has been on the wall a long time.

I would be happy to be born in almost any western country, even the poor ones, except America. In them you are at least treated with a modicum of respect if you are at the bottom of the ladder. The Christian value system seems more alive in these countries that now mostly profess to be Atheists than it does over there. Seems like over there they just leave everyone who doesn't make in a fucking ghetto with nothing but a food stamp.

It's a huge shame because I think there is tremendous value in your origin story but you've just sold out to nutjobs like ayn rand and don't want to do anything to socially regulate America, would rather look at trying to regulate the rest of the world, which Europe has often dumbly and blindly followed on with you.

I honestly hate to say it because the place has so many cool things going for it in the end I'm forced into the conclusion that I see almost no hope for your country at all any more. I have serious concerns my country might go the same way and I hope it does not.

Maybe you are right that it is more of a concern for your country but perhaps it's just the kind of wake up call you guys need to stop playing like you are the smartest mother fuckers on the planet just because you had a great boom back in the 60s. It's no wonder people are starting to look to China and to respect them more and more despite their utter disregard for the values of freedom and liberty. I have concerns for the ones on the bottom in this country and whether we will be able to come together and look after them but I see a lot more hope for it here than there.

If there is hope in the world, then out of the major players; I can only see it coming from Europe and China right now. America seems almost dead in the water to me. Other countries like India the spiritual shitland and Russia with it's slave like people and mafia boss running the show with a propaganda megaphone, are just total shit holes already. I could see your country getting just that bad if you don't change.

Thing is it's not about protecting your economy, it's about learning how to look out for your regular people and giving up on the ridiculous fantasy of the American dream. Come back down to earth a little and run your country a little more regular, take a few notes from the Canadians perhaps, and maybe you can do something about the mess that you are about to be hit with. Maybe you'll even have a thing or two to teach the rest of us again.

But I am not an American, I don't have a true understanding of your country, and I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little judgemental, America needs to do things in it's own way just like any other country but there had better be some improvements and fast. The measure of a country is not it's GDP, or how well it's winning the global trade war, but in whether it treats it's citizens, and it's citizens treat each other, with the respect they deserve.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Edited by Grapefruit (03/26/20 07:51 PM)

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

#26559915 - 03/26/20 07:49 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

I'd say you understand the situation just fine. Not only that, the perspective of a non-American is usually superior to that of even a reasonably bright American.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26560020 - 03/26/20 08:48 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

Grapefruit I agree. I'm not even sure how our country can be this stupid on the whole. But it's where things are. Our education system has failed us, our propaganda has failed us, and while it's easy to say our leaders have failed us IMO it's not really their fault we are dumb enough to keep perpetuating the status quo.

I can't speak for all American's but here's a taste of my lifestyle. I do like my work. I like working. If I were to choose between being laid off and continuing to be productive, I'm going to choose being productive. Do I know this is folly? Yes, in part. I'm aware that my hard work is benefiting someone else far more than it is benefiting myself. Is it for financial reasons then? No. I have hundreds of hours (397 at last look) of paid time off that I could be utilizing without ever draining a publicly funded system. But at least some part of me does find purpose and meaning in work. Corporate structures represent something larger than one's self. They represent a society of their own. There's even the term workplace culture. If you support the culture, if you support the goals, it's like supporting elements of a society you believe in. My company has a culture of community, of inclusiveness, and of putting yourself in other's shoes. I buy into those things. Also my direct boss is a great dude. He embodies a great culture too.

With that said, do I know I'm being sold a bill of goods by those at the top? Somewhat. I've been in business long enough to see through many smoke and mirrors. Profit is the driving force no matter what culture is promoted. If the culture isn't profitable, it's going to change. So it's broken there because the prime directive is broken. But it's so far removed from the day-to-day of the job that it doesn't feel that way. The day to day of the job is helping people both professionally and personally, finding solutions to problems, enabling and encouraging growth, and in more recent times, acting as a leader to keep a community safe. And it feels good to see results on those fronts. It's rewarding. Even if I know that there is a structure above me that is corrupt, my personal work does not feel that way. Does that make sense?

I think many American's are in this boat. They themselves are trying to do the best things in their personal bubble but it is ultimately feeding a monster just out of sight. And it gets muddier when your politicians all say something different and all of them seem to be hiding something. You don't know who to trust or what to do except keep doing your best. Which is different for everyone and leads to no cohesive efforts except the overarching goal of profit.

:2cents:

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26560058 - 03/26/20 09:06 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

One of the things I don't get is why all countries didn't just lock down all flights immediately. It seemed obvious to me. I guess it's another thing of people being so worried about the economy and GDP that they are just paralysed into stupidity by it. The Wuhan outbreak went on for quite awhile before the spread and nobody did the one common sense thing. Just more bullshit holidays for our own personal satisfaction and businessmen looking to keep trading.

People are just fucking obsessed with keeping the economic machine going. I say we look to flying less and learning to grow veg at home, those permaculture hippies are right in my eyes. We don't need all these bullshit fancy high tech toys. Our obsession with them is fucking us and we are fucking everybody else through it.

And I've been nice to China so far but they need to get their act together about how they are farming animals, I don't know that this outbreak is related to as I'm not studied enough but it could easily have been related to that.. So what if meat prices go up and it becomes a luxury, treat other creatures with respect. Especially when you are putting them up for the chop. That's one of the reasons we Brits are so scared of our precarious position in having to make a trade deal with the US. You don't treat your animals with that much respect either. Because every form of smart regulation seems to be anathema to you.

I used to work on the factory floor and I'd often hear people talking about the dangers of the machinery but it would always come with the addendum of well at least we are not in the US, they don't give a fuck about their workers safety over there.

Bernie was so right and I was so sad you didn't elect him. These big coorporations need to be put in serious check. They are fucking the whole world with free reign right now. You guys claim to have freedom but the reality is you are under the thumb of the corps. At least China probably don't have that problem so much, probably keep their corps on a tight leash.

I'd like to see Europe also challenging them even more than they are doing right now. There's not much value to them IMO, they are destroying the old ways completely and not presenting anything valuable in return. Just more brain washing for the populace so that they will buy their products.

It's fucked man completely fucked. Global warming looks small fries in comparison to this because we can deal with natural catasrophe if we pull together but if we let these guys carry on unchecked we will eventually have no way of dealing with them. They will have the entire world under lock and key.

Scary to see the depths of just how far man could fall if it keeps stumbling blindly on with pleasure seeking and quick highs. The apocalypse may well be coming sooner than we expected and based on things very real to us right now rather than strange novelic fantasies.

Anyway I have ranted a lot tonight, I guess I must be in a mood. Time to go to bed.

--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#26560063 - 03/26/20 09:11 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

Night bud :heart:

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26560068 - 03/26/20 09:13 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

Yeah some of that makes sense to me for sure. But it all seems hunky dory because there are a few good things going on and it seems like things are sailing just fine for you.

The actual response the world needs has to be massive because the situation has got to the point where there is so much toxic shit going around and people don't even realise how much.

I don't think we'll make it. Probably you should just try and save yourself or something. I just don't see the kind of response the world needs coming.

Who knows maybe some kind of Jesus will pop up and save us all but even some great guy like that probably doesn't have a chance at this point. And it didn't work before....

So yeah we're doomed I guess, perhaps we should just accept it and go down with the ship like the good captain.

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

#26560072 - 03/26/20 09:14 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

Sweet dreams. :tongue: :heart:

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26561163 - 03/27/20 01:11 PM (4 years, 2 days ago)

.  You're right, Grapefruit)  that the USA is a peculiarly messed up country in many ways, & often more so than other countries; however its so messed up, that,  that doesn't really indicate that any other countries ( & their governments & cultures) are actually wonderful either.

.  But you are right, that it may simply feel a little better to be in them.
Which is significant.

.  The condition of the planet, and the fact that most humans already or very shortly will (if the virus doesn't decimate them), live in mega cities (  https://www.worldatlas.com/citypops.htm ;   ), indicate that the species as a whole has some very serious flaws, it is unable to overcome.

.  If an alien visited earth, they would wonder why we have chosen to put ourselves in what are essentially zoos:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mega+cities&t=he&iax=images&ia=images&nbsp; ,
and are so hypnotized we are unaware that we have done this, and are often actually proud of this fact

.  In the USA, Trump actually fits perfectly. -- This character was almost believable, as an American** and perhaps not that atypical. (see  Film Clip below). This is emblematic of the insensitivity & brutality of america. USA prison, birth rate mortality, & gun ownership, (among other***) statistics, compared to the rest of the world,  (especially considering it is the richest country) show this to be fact.

.  Religious theme parks with dinosaurs & jesus & humans & the ark together, as well as Disney world show the unwillingness, of the populace to face reality: 
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dinosaurs+%26+jesus&t=he&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

**  Film Clip
I Love the Smell of Napalm in the Morning - Robert Duvall in APOCALYPSE NOW -

*** for example number of military bases world wide -- a real shocker

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: laughingdog]
    #26561480 - 03/27/20 04:10 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

why did jesus let god kill all the dinosaurs?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OnlineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26561745 - 03/27/20 06:11 PM (4 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
why did jesus let god kill all the dinosaurs?

so they wouldn't consume all the hydrocarbons.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #26562673 - 03/28/20 08:26 AM (4 years, 1 day ago)

holy farts, batman!

--------------------

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26562778 - 03/28/20 09:23 AM (4 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
holy farts, batman!

Come on RGV give us your thoughts not just a few memes. How are you feeling about the US and the general state of things globally country to country at the moment?

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26565379 - 03/29/20 02:10 PM (4 years, 1 hour ago)

I am mad that Trump is supported by such a wide cohort, he is a germophobe, yet he dismantled so much health care infrastructure to finance a fence between texas and mexico.

wrong moves, wrong ideas, no depth to anything, bullying and gossip.

what kind of country gets that type of president?
is it a country full of dinosaur Jesus parks? mixed up memes?

--------------------

InvisibleThe Blind Ass
Bodhi
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Primordial Mind
Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #26565494 - 03/29/20 02:59 PM (4 years, 1 hour ago)

Well, he is a bit of a dufus.

Least eloquent president since Bush Jr, and atleast Jr could convey his message with depth sometimes (regardless if most public announcements and speeches by presidents in our country are written by a staff) - regardless of the way his dialect came off.

China plays the long game man- the win, not that ill complain.  the US, literally sold itself out over the last 7 decades.  Bit by bit under and in front of the noses of the public while lying through their own teeth. All that’s left is The military industrial complex, being propped up by an insurmountable debt And the ability to be 1 tier ahead in terms of current tech for warfare, and the peoples general illusions that have been carried over the generations, slowly become less concrete with each generation, is all that is enforcing this poor excuse of a country living on past valor.

Look at S. Korea, they’re like what the US wished it was if it was more true to its own “declared and public” philosophy of governing.  They have a solid future ahead of them. S. Korea is like a mini version of the stability and power of the US from the 50s and 60s, but with modern day technology and a decent sense of Christianity.  (For the most part). Not going to lie, a might have a crush on their system a little bit.

US is run by those who dont care to act in a way that supports the overall good in the long term, not even by a bit.  Yes there is always exceptions, but frankly - it just seems like its a mutated sense of heaven and hell all in one, a crazed sodom and Gomorrah.

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps -or- give me Death caps

Edited by The Blind Ass (03/29/20 03:01 PM)

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #26567571 - 03/30/20 03:20 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:

. . . perhaps it's just the kind of wake up call you guys need to stop playing like you are the smartest mother fuckers on the planet just because you had a great boom back in the 60s.

Is it common for people to believe this about American citizens? The smartest nation? I'm always fascinated how America is vilified - often in quite imaginative ways.

OfflineGrapefruit
Freak in the forest
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: RJ Tubs 202] * 1
    #26567713 - 03/30/20 04:31 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I think it's a pretty common opinion. George Saunders is an example of one very well respected author from your own country that clearly tends to share that opinion.

For my part your people do look more poorly educated and ignorant than those of other comparable nations, whilst being so seemingly self assured. I think my own people (the British) are cut from a similar cloth in many ways although we at least seem to have been spared that peculiar hatred of social welfare that yours have. I think that more than anything is the ruin of America.

--------------------

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26567798 - 03/30/20 05:25 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Grapefruit said:
...For my part your people do look more poorly educated and ignorant than those of other comparable nations, whilst being so seemingly self assured. I think my own people (the British) are cut from a similar cloth in many ways although we at least seem to have been spared that peculiar hatred of social welfare that yours have. I think that more than anything is the ruin of America.

of possible interest to Grapefruit , RJ Tubs, et al
...The roots of N. American bull shit run deep ...
for example, from a book, on amazon :
"Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 500-Year History"
Kurt Andersen
"A razor-sharp thinker offers a new understanding of our post-truth world and explains the American instinct to believe in make-believe, from the Pilgrims to P. T. Barnum to Disneyland to zealots of every stripe...to Donald Trump.

In this sweeping, eloquent history of America, Kurt Andersen demonstrates that what's happening in our country today - this strange, post-factual, "fake news" moment we're all living through - is not something entirely new, but rather the ultimate expression of our national character and path. America was founded by wishful dreamers, magical thinkers, and true believers, by impresarios and their audiences, by hucksters and their suckers. Believe-whatever-you-want fantasy is deeply embedded in our DNA.

Over the course of five centuries - from the Salem witch trials to Scientology to the Satanic Panic of the 1980s, from P. T. Barnum to Hollywood and the anything-goes, wild-and-crazy 60s, from conspiracy theories to our fetish for guns and obsession with extraterrestrials - our peculiar love of the fantastic has made America exceptional in a way that we've never fully acknowledged. With the gleeful erudition and tell-it-like-it-is ferocity of a Christopher Hitchens, Andersen explores whether the great American experiment in liberty has gone off the rails.

From the start, our ultra-individualism was attached to epic dreams and epic fantasies - every citizen was free to believe absolutely anything, or to pretend to be absolutely anybody. Little by little, and then more quickly in the last several decades, the American invent-your-own-reality legacy of the Enlightenment superseded its more sober, rational, and empirical parts. We gave ourselves over to all manner of crackpot ideas and make-believe lifestyles designed to console or thrill or terrify us. In Fantasyland, Andersen brilliantly connects the dots that define this condition, portrays its scale and scope, and offers a fresh, bracing explanation of how our American journey has deposited us here.

Fantasyland could not appear at a more perfect moment. If you want to understand the politics and culture of 21st-century America, if you want to know how the lines between reality and illusion have become dangerously blurred, you must listen to this book. "

also relevant:
"In the Shadows of the American Century: The Rise and Decline of US Global Power "
Alfred W. McCoy
"The award-winning historian delivers a “brilliant and deeply informed” analysis of American power from the Spanish-American War to the Trump Administration (New York Journal of Books).
...  He also offers a critique of America’s attempt to maintain its position through cyberwar, covert intervention, client elites, psychological torture, and worldwide surveillance."

also relevant:
"America: The Farewell Tour"  Chris Hedges
"A profound and provocative examination of America in crisis, where unemployment, deindustrialization, and a bitter hopelessness and malaise have resulted in an epidemic of diseases of despair - drug abuse, gambling, suicide, magical thinking, xenophobia, and a culture of sadism and hate.

America, says Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter Chris Hedges, is convulsed by an array of pathologies that have arisen out of profound hopelessness, a bitter despair and a civil society that has ceased to function. The opioid crisis, the retreat into gambling to cope with economic distress, the pornification of culture, the rise of magical thinking, the celebration of sadism, hate, and plagues of suicides are the physical manifestations of a society that is being ravaged by corporate pillage and a failed democracy. As our society unravels, we also face global upheaval caused by catastrophic climate change. All these ills presage a frightening reconfiguration of the nation and the planet.

Donald Trump rode this disenchantment to power. In America: The Farewell Tour, Hedges argues that neither political party, now captured by corporate power, addresses the systemic problem. Until our corporate coup d'Ă©tat is reversed these diseases will grow and ravage the country. A poignant cry reported from communities across the country, America: The Farewell Tour seeks to jolt us out of our complacency while there is still time."

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies