Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon Laminar Flow Hood, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease
    #26549557 - 03/21/20 07:21 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Citys are going on lock down. Unemployment rising. Stocks diving. Airlines grounding. Events canceled.

And yet, I've seen only one person wearing a mask, and no one wearing gloves. I'm not sure if the population is taking this seriously or not. It's like a game to see who can horde the most toilet paper.

So which is worse?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“Everyone's path is different, and that is fine. We either sit or walk.”

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #26549593 - 03/21/20 07:39 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Being without toilet paper is definitely the worst.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #26549611 - 03/21/20 07:49 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Funny, but TP is easy to do without at the home. The shower is usually about 2 feet away. Wash cloths are reusable, after being washed of course.

--------------------
rahz

OfflineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Rahz]
    #26549629 - 03/21/20 07:58 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
TP is easy to do without at the home. The shower is usually about 2 feet away. Wash cloths are reusable, after being washed of course.

If we get thru this I expect to see that in the movies.

OfflineYellow Pants

#26549658 - 03/21/20 08:13 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Probably should use wash cloths at least 20x before washing.  In order to conserve water.

--------------------
TM Time

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Yellow Pants]
    #26549827 - 03/21/20 09:38 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

You could get away clean with a couple folds.

--------------------
rahz

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26550033 - 03/22/20 12:34 AM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Not taking it seriously, will prove fatal to many, and to those that that have contact with such people.
News paper has been common in rural outhouses for years, & toilet paper did not always exist.
Europe which which is more reasonable than the USA, (in many ways) has had devices such as this for decades:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Non-Electric+Home+Bidet+Toilet+Seat+Adjustable+Angle+Nozzle&ref=nb_sb_noss

--------------------
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.” or  “Science advances one funeral at a time.”
― Max Planck

"The situation is hopeless, but not serious."

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend,
inside of a dog its too dark to read."

OfflineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: laughingdog] * 1
    #26550146 - 03/22/20 03:56 AM (4 months, 22 days ago)

A prospect of a cold water douche may hasten the onset of a constipational condition.

Invisibledbreeze
Stranger
    #26550278 - 03/22/20 06:26 AM (4 months, 22 days ago)

where i am people are taking it seriously now well they kinda have to ALL non essential business's are shut down only grocery stores hospitals pharmacy's are left open. at first restaurants were allowed to do take out only now that has been shut down. So really we have no choice but to take it how it is. Its hard times for sure i am hoping we learn from this because one day we could face a virus that has a much higher kill rate.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26550486 - 03/22/20 09:01 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

been trying to buy a mask for 2 weeks

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26550492 - 03/22/20 09:03 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

have not yet found any masks for sale.
accordingly I wear no mask so far but I keep the distance as indicated

the floors are marked at our grocery store for social distance

--------------------

OfflineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

#26550499 - 03/22/20 09:06 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

Post your address so someone reading this can mail you one.

OfflineBuster_Brown
'CourseIcan midget
Male User Gallery

#26550531 - 03/22/20 09:25 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

I could send you a coffee filter

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#26550806 - 03/22/20 11:33 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
been trying to buy a mask for 2 weeks

I know, and I need them for work and I can't buy any local. I can still find them but ship times are months, or the price is $10 a piece. You would think with all the masks gone people would be using them. I have a handful of used N95s. I keep one in my truck with a box of vinyl gloves. I'm not real social anyway so I guess I'm doing my part. My folks have dinner with family outside now. They are late 60s so I've offered to do running around for them.

--------------------
rahz

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#26550809 - 03/22/20 11:35 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
have not yet found any masks for sale.
accordingly I wear no mask so far but I keep the distance as indicated

the floors are marked at our grocery store for social distance

And I'm not sure about that 6 foot rule. In an indoor environment with moderate air movement, particulate can stay in the air for a long time.

--------------------
rahz

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#26551087 - 03/22/20 02:21 PM (4 months, 21 days ago)

don't panic
the air is blowing down from above and the particulates are swooping into the return air filters (for subsequent recirculation)

the main thing is we all try to avoid xmission of disease and mostly stay home and be well if possible.

--------------------

OfflineCountHTML
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Maine
    #26551386 - 03/22/20 04:59 PM (4 months, 21 days ago)

France is looking at potential treatments for this illness as we speak. There’s reason to be optimistic that a treatment protocol may be established somewhat soon. The effect that this will have on quarantine / social distancing imperative remains to be seen.

Stopping the spread of a microscopic pathogen runs so counterintuitive to human nature on so many levels. This virus would not be spreading so rapidly if it were not for mildly ill people not taking it seriously and transmitting it to others more vulnerable than themselves.

In the event of a future apocalypse, now we know the first thing the lemming hordes will go for: toilet paper.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#26551580 - 03/22/20 06:59 PM (4 months, 21 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
don't panic
the air is blowing down from above and the particulates are swooping into the return air filters (for subsequent recirculation)

the main thing is we all try to avoid xmission of disease and mostly stay home and be well if possible.

Large rooms don't operate the same as flow hoods nor does everyone change out their filters often enough for them to be effective.

Gloves to handle money and anything outside the home is smart. Otherwise sanitizer is good. In leu of that, plain old rubbing alcohol will do the same thing. Even better is to wash one's hands with soap and water if convenient. A quick shower upon arriving home with the clothes worn in public going in the wash machine is excellent. This can be timed so that one still only takes a shower per day. Gloves can be washed and reused, otherwise they can be left to sit for several days. Masks to wear indoors where there are other people is smart. N95 is better than nothing. N100 is best but good luck finding that right now. If you smoke, make sure your hands are clean before grabbing that cig by the filter and sticking it in your mouth. Don't be touching your face. That's an advantage of gloves since they prevent the semi-conscious act of touching one's face. And believe it or not, a tee shirt will filter a large percentage of 1 micron particles and is better than nothing.

But people isolating, and then congregating in public buildings with no protection isn't a very effective strategy. That's why I suspect this effort to "flatten the curve" isn't going to have the effectiveness people and officials are hoping for.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Watch it from day to day. Confirmed cases in the USA has doubled since yesterday. Interestingly China has been sitting at 81,500 cases for a week.

Panic is buying all the toilet paper then going back a week later because you need milk.

--------------------
rahz

OfflineKickleM
A Dying Hope
 User Gallery

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #26552603 - 03/23/20 08:13 AM (4 months, 20 days ago)

What would the # of US cases look like if Trump controlled the media? Just a consideration for government controlled media where efforts to censor the existence of the virus existed prior to any outbreak. Past history is usually indicative of current affairs. If the virus was able to get from Wuhan to other parts of the world, I don't really believe it wasn't able to get to other parts of China. Just an opinion of course.

I work with the public every day and actually consider people with gloves on doing no favors. If the virus is on the gloves, it is going to be much harder to avoid contact with the virus than if it were on your hands IMO. If it is on your hands, wash your hands. How many are going to correctly remove the gloves without spreading to surfaces nearby or to their hands after?

I guess for the general public I'm with the CDC on this. Unless you are showing signs, the benefit to wear a mask or gloves is marginal to non-existent compared with self-isolating and social distancing. And for this marginal benefit you are drying up supply from those who need them due to direct contact where distancing and isolating is not an option.

As a workplace I have implemented mandatory 6' distancing, hand washing every 30 minutes unless no contact with a surface has taken place, and of course if you develop any symptoms GTFO.

FWIW most commercial enterprises have regular contracts for air filter maintenance. Ours are replaced every 3 months by contract. Local business is probably not as regular.

If you want to support local businesses during this time I recommend purchasing a gift card each month. Either by phone or online if there is a web presence. Many are struggling to maintain their businesses and it would really be a boon if everyone did this. Around here some local businesses are even offering a discount on giftcards just for this reason. Worth looking into.

--------------------
Being unable to make what is just strong,
we have made what is strong just. -- Pascal

Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Coronavirus - the cure vs the disease [Re: Kickle]
    #26552724 - 03/23/20 09:42 AM (4 months, 20 days ago)

Washing one's hands is a good idea and highly effective, but when are you going to do it? Hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol is also a good option, but if one chooses to use gloves it's not that much trouble to take them off carefully. You have a point, but they can offer 100% protection through that particular vector.

Additionally, working in AC (which is why I need the masks) I know rooms don't work like ducts or flow hoods. All the air eventually makes it through the filter but it can take a long time for 100%. The air is constantly holding particulate. And yes, small businesses often don't change their filters often enough and they're filthy.

Tee shirt material will block a majority of particulate. Around 70 percent actually. Tests have shown the efficacy of a filter for 1 micron particles is similar to efficacy for sub-micron particles. Everyone has tee shirts and can make their own. 70 isn't as good as 95, but better than 0. :shrug:

And it's not an either or situation. Following the recommendations and taking further precautions when in an enclosed public environment seems pretty reasonable since that is a vector.

--------------------
rahz

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | Next >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon Laminar Flow Hood, Microscope

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology