Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleboddah
fuckup
Loc: Scandinavia
turning cakes into a casing
    #2651164 - 05/07/04 06:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all,
I have my first set of mushrooms growing, I have 4 cakes and a casing made out of 2 cakes. The problem is that while the casing is producing plenty of huge shrooms, the cakes have only few small (5cm) each and pinning is weak also.
I was wondering that could I still cut the poorly producing cakes into slices and make a casing out of them, they have been in the growbox for 10 days now :confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: boddah]
    #2651180 - 05/07/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I dont see why you couldnt as long as you are clean with making the casing and your cakes arent showing any contam stuff..try it and see

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #2651192 - 05/07/04 06:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

sure that would work but keep in mind that now the new casing is going to take a few days because its like its starting over.All that mycelluim has to network itsself together again.So be patient.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

#2651339 - 05/07/04 07:12 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

All you new guys need to listen to Butter n Maga and Tremor...the mods dont seem to post much here lately...Just listen to these dudes because they know howdda grow...We have many other good advice cultivators here also so dont get pissie if one these guys flames you sometimes...Anno is probably the best Mycologist in the world and he used to tell me to re-read stuff when i was learning...
You new guys need to read the Teks..it answers most all your questions
Oh one other thing...Dont ever argue With Teonan because he is a great teacher here

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: OldSpice]
    #2651346 - 05/07/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanx man,but You left yourself off that list man.

btw dont forget to vote everyone.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: ButterNut]
    #2651402 - 05/07/04 07:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I havent come into basic cult much lately but its kinda nice to answer some questions i used to ask....Its really hard at first but we have the best cult forum anywhere...
The others just dont even come close :wink:
Look at Maga`s Pics and that proves this theory... :thumbup:

--------------------
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: OldSpice]
    #2651410 - 05/07/04 07:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ya Magash is the shit.

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: ButterNut]
    #2651724 - 05/07/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks guys. The whole place is awsome.  :grin: Hey, it's why we're all here right, to help each other out.  :grin: :wexican:

Now something for fun.

There was an experiment conducted on 16 jars. 8 of them using the regular PF tek and 8 of them using the PF-Birdseed Tek. The ones using the PF-Birdseed tek produced much larger, and more potent mushrooms. Not to mention, they colonized almost twice as fast as the ones using regular pf tek. They were all cased with the same substrate (scotts 3 in 1 compost), and grown under the same conditions to make sure the only difference was the birdseed. Heres how it was done:

Follow the regular PF Tek. The only difference is one part Penningtons Wild Bird Feed (you can use other bird feeds that contain lots of white millet) was added in the mix. The bird seed had Bird-Kote on it so it was soaked in warm water for about 10 mins and then rinsed off. It was then added into the Brown Rice Flour/Vermiculite Mix and the water content was adjusted accordingly. Once the water content was right (if you take a handful and squeeze it a few drops will fall) it was then placed in jars according to the regular PF tek and topped off with a 1/4" layer of dry vermiculite (to help keep out airborne contams that come through the innoculation points). The jars were then pressure cooked for 1 hour and then sat in the Pressure cooker overnight to cool. Once cool, they were innoculated as usual.

Like I said. The jars that used the PF-Birdseed Tek performed much better, and produced much larger/potent mushrooms than the ones using the regular PF-Tek.
Sorry if this has already been done/posted on here. I just thought it would be a good way for beginners to experiment with grains without straying away from the PF Tek too much.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: Magash]
    #2651773 - 05/07/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Magash. I'm working my way up to casings right now, and have a few jars still yet to be birthed. I'm definitely doing this for the next batch of jars i do. Where could I get some bird seed that would be suitable for this? :mushroom2:

And I don't mean to be leeching this thread, I just figured it would be a waste to start a new one. :mushroom2:

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Edited by Hrethic (05/07/04 09:59 PM)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: Hrethic]
    #2651830 - 05/07/04 10:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Petco, or petsmart had it.  :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisibleboddah
fuckup
Loc: Scandinavia
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: Magash]
    #2652662 - 05/08/04 04:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for help, I'm going to make the new casing today.  Gotta also remember the birdseed vs. regular pf-tek experiment, it sounded convincing..  :sun:

Offlinevuvu1

Loc: Right here
    #2654806 - 05/08/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I havent contributed much to the site yet as I am on my first grow. I have asked a good amount of questions though. I never paid much attention to the names of the people that helped me. I always said thanks and gave props when due dont get me wrong. But from now on I will always remember names. I am no noobie to cultivation research on the internet I read an aghfull lot in the faqs. Some stuf is just better when delt with in the present by these very helpful people. I plan on being a regular name here and becoming a good cultivator. I am colonizing 8 mazatapec jars that are three weeks old today. Some are fully done and a few arent, but NO signs of contams so far thank god. I plan on casing four of them my first time wish me luck. I will post updates but I have no digi so use your imagination. Peace out guys

PS can you add that birdseed to the casing layer to speed that up to?

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: vuvu1]
    #2654851 - 05/08/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Nothing with any nutrients goes into the casing layer vuvu! The casing layer is supposed to be something totally void of nutritive content. You should stick with straight verm IMHO on your first try at casings. The reason you dont want nutrients is that the myc will colonize it too aggresively,causing overlay,as well as slowing down the initiation of the pinning phase.

--------------------

Offlinevuvu1

Loc: Right here
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: Mykey]
    #2654862 - 05/08/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the clear up Mykey.

Offlinet3knology
33 threes

Loc: USA
Re: turning cakes into a casing [Re: vuvu1]
    #2654915 - 05/08/04 09:20 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you mykey, ive heard conflicting answers to that question.

N Magash, thank you again for helping us :P

--------------------
"If our Gods and our hopes are nothing but scientific phenomena, then let us admit it must be said that our love is scientific as well." - Mathias Villiers de l'Isle-Adam

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder