Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerubiks.cubensis
citizen
Male

Loc: PNW
grain spawn jars seem really dry
    #26544578 - 03/19/20 02:08 PM (11 months, 4 days ago)

not quite sure how i managed it, but my jars of inoculated grain seem really dry.  it's been a week and no sign of activity in any of the six i have going (i know that can change pretty quickly, but i usually see some life after a week).  is dry ok?  can/should i add some water?  should i just sit back and enjoy the social distancing and give it some more time?  any input would be appreciated...thanks

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

Loc: That One Place
Re: grain spawn jars seem really dry [Re: rubiks.cubensis]
    #26544596 - 03/19/20 02:14 PM (11 months, 4 days ago)

How are your lids made? The grain should be hydrated on the inside and dry on the outside. I do all my oats this way and never have an issue. I prefer to wait for my oats to dry before loading into jars. It's all about the water content inside the grain. How did you inoculate your grains? Agar, LC, etc?

Offlinerubiks.cubensis
citizen
Male

Re: grain spawn jars seem really dry [Re: FeedYourMind]
    #26544638 - 03/19/20 02:41 PM (11 months, 4 days ago)

lids are 4 holed for syringe inoculation and covered with loose aluminum foil.  the "grain" is actually a mix of popcorn and oats...boiled them for a bit and then drained before pc'ing the filled jars before inoculation.  they're not so dry, i guess, that the grain is loose or anything--the tops are loose, though...but there is no visible signs of moisture (condensation or anything like that).

OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

Loc: That One Place
Re: grain spawn jars seem really dry [Re: rubiks.cubensis]
    #26544812 - 03/19/20 03:56 PM (11 months, 4 days ago)

Condensation isn't a sign of moisture in the grain, but just moisture outside of the grain. Also, it can be an indication of temperature difference between inside of the jar and the heat created by the mycelium against the outside temperature of the jar. I have a suspicion your grain prep may have been off. Did you boil both at the same time? I would follow a proven tek like Bod's oats or any WBS tek. Some people use corn with success, but I've never tried. Having too little moisture in your grain or too much that cooked starches are overly exposed are both ends of the spectrum to avoid.

You also should follow a tek for your lids. Four small holes (1/16") is fine or one, 1/4" hole for your lids but you're going to want to get a better filter like polyfil (cheap lasts forever) or SFD (slightly more pricey, professional, lasts forever).

Last, going to grain from straight MS syringes has worked for me in the past. However, I do not recommend it. You will have a much better chance of success by starting with agar and inoculating your spawn jars with clean mycelium from the plate. This will also help to decrease the grow time in the jar and will allow you to g2g with ease and make large amounts of tubs at any given time. With that being said, be patient. It can take up to two weeks to see spores germinate, however, usually it's much quicker than that (on agar, at least).

Offlinerubiks.cubensis
citizen
Male

Re: grain spawn jars seem really dry [Re: FeedYourMind]
    #26544924 - 03/19/20 04:43 PM (11 months, 4 days ago)

great response!!! i just saw Bod's oat tek post--I haven't been around for almost a year and was working off old habits and new ideas...lol.  i do need to jump into the world of agar--never got that far before i went on hiatus early last year.  did have a few good grows before with syringe inoculation, but success was definitely not consistent (contams really got me at times, which i hear are much more common with syringe inoculating).  Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and helpful responses--it really helps get me back in the growing frame of mind.  Take care!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation