Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
OfflineTas75
Taswegian
 User Gallery

Loc: Tasmania
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Rumblefish]
    #26679659 - 05/18/20 07:10 PM (16 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

Rumblefish said:

My understanding is that Melbourne councils use just the right type of bark mulch for them to grow in, where as Tassie one's don't.

I used to live up north and the one spot we used to get heaps now has an electric fence around it.

If down here is anything to go by, you'd be amazed where they are.  I have found over 500g along side roads with mature Eucalyptus at sea level!!
Just keep looking for those micro climates, oh and they seem to grow where braken does!!

This is not true. There are plenty of subs on mulched garden beds around greater Hobart. In some places I reckon they're in sight of thousands of passers-by each year.

Look for shady spots that stay damp, a bit of vegetation cover to help with increasing humidity, and woodchips that are at least one year old.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Tas75]
    #26679768 - 05/18/20 08:15 PM (16 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Tas75 said:
Quote:

Rumblefish said:

My understanding is that Melbourne councils use just the right type of bark mulch for them to grow in, where as Tassie one's don't.

I used to live up north and the one spot we used to get heaps now has an electric fence around it.

If down here is anything to go by, you'd be amazed where they are.  I have found over 500g along side roads with mature Eucalyptus at sea level!!
Just keep looking for those micro climates, oh and they seem to grow where braken does!!

This is not true. There are plenty of subs on mulched garden beds around greater Hobart. In some places I reckon they're in sight of thousands of passers-by each year.

Look for shady spots that stay damp, a bit of vegetation cover to help with increasing humidity, and woodchips that are at least one year old.

Oh awesome!!  As I said I was only going on what others have said!

I haven't really looked in any spots with woodchips as I haven't needed to, but I guess it might also be luck of the draw to where the weeodchips came from.
Also, I hate picking in areas with high foot/car traffic!!

Edited by Rumblefish (05/18/20 09:05 PM)

Offlinebenjarmin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26679999 - 05/18/20 10:36 PM (16 days, 9 hours ago)

If subs have a constantly replenished supply of woodchips, could they live forever? (Barring pathogens/competition from other fungi.)

I know a few old patches that went hard for years, but last season they only produced a handful each as there wasn't much mulch left.

Had a look this year and they've been re chipped, hoping for a resurrection after they've had a feed :laugh:

OfflineVooduu
Murphy's son
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa Flag
Re: Newbie here [Re: bluesunshine94]
    #26680086 - 05/18/20 11:51 PM (16 days, 8 hours ago)

Myself having anxiety issues, I find just going out into nature and simply walking round and looking for any kind of mushroom to examine is a helpful start. For example when I go foraging I treat it like it's an adventure to find all kinds of mushrooms that I've never seen before, not just ones that are active. It helps also with the feeling of being empty handed when you end up not finding anything active which can happen quite often. Maybe take a few mushrooms you find and examine them more at home, try spore prints and the such to get a grasp of requesting an ID on some actives you may find!

Slow steps,

Good luck friend!

--------------------

.-'~~~-.
                    .'o  oOOOo`.
                    :~~~-.oOo  o`.
                    `. \ ~-.  oOOo.
                      `.; / ~.  OO:
                      .'  ;-- `.o.'
                      ,'  ; ~~--'~
                      ;  ;
_______\|/__________\\;_\\//___\|/________

OfflineBackhand Panther
Stranger
Re: Newbie here [Re: Vooduu]
    #26680262 - 05/19/20 03:59 AM (16 days, 4 hours ago)

Hi I’m new here also. Don’t even think I’ve posted this correctly, I apologise if I’ve done it wrong. Just an open question to anyone interested or with some knowledge.
I have a friend with terminal brain cancer and they are wanting to try subs as a form of relaxing and pain relief as well as a remedy for anxiety that comes with her situation. This has actually been suggested by a health professional. Anyone know if this would be a good track for her to follow? I want to help by hunting but I have no idea where to start location wise in L’ton area can anyone help me out there also? Maybe a pm to set me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

OfflineWeBeTrippyMane
Apprentice Psychonaut

Loc: Lutruwita ;) Flag
Re: Newbie here [Re: Backhand Panther]
    #26680325 - 05/19/20 04:59 AM (16 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Backhand Panther said:
Hi I’m new here also. Don’t even think I’ve posted this correctly, I apologise if I’ve done it wrong. Just an open question to anyone interested or with some knowledge.
I have a friend with terminal brain cancer and they are wanting to try subs as a form of relaxing and pain relief as well as a remedy for anxiety that comes with her situation. This has actually been suggested by a health professional. Anyone know if this would be a good track for her to follow? I want to help by hunting but I have no idea where to start location wise in L’ton area can anyone help me out there also? Maybe a pm to set me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

browse back through the thread and have a read of sub habitats, bobwastakens South Australian thread has a lot of good info:https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22425508 but just has to be adapted to the tassie climate which is a bit colder, you can find subs pretty much anywhere at sea level at the moment in Tasmania, i am finding them on beaches. a northern hunter may be able to help out a lot more. i am from the south and havent hunted the north yet.

Edited by WeBeTrippyMane (05/19/20 05:00 AM)

OfflineBackhand Panther
Stranger

Re: Newbie here [Re: WeBeTrippyMane]
    #26680344 - 05/19/20 05:13 AM (16 days, 2 hours ago)

Okey dokes thanks for the advice, I’ve done a fair bit of research on here and looked in a few places that should be perfect but no luck as yet.  I’ll keep trying hopefully will be able to help my friend out. Good luck to everyone else hunting around.

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Newbie here [Re: Backhand Panther]
    #26680353 - 05/19/20 05:18 AM (16 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Backhand Panther said:

PM sent

OfflineBackhand Panther
Stranger

Re: Season End Date? [Re: Alutacea]
    #26680428 - 05/19/20 06:03 AM (16 days, 2 hours ago)

Good to see someone in launnie is finding some. Wish I had your luck, well done.

OfflineWeBeTrippyMane
Apprentice Psychonaut

Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020** [Re: Backhand Panther]
    #26682119 - 05/19/20 10:46 PM (15 days, 9 hours ago)

More pics from a bush walk today. Right on sea level. They are growing like a plague at the moment.

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020** [Re: WeBeTrippyMane]
    #26682364 - 05/20/20 01:21 AM (15 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

WeBeTrippyMane said:
More pics from a bush walk today. Right on sea level. They are growing like a plague at the moment.

Nice find!!
Yeah all my best spots I've discovered are at sea level.

Went back to a few spots today that I picked a week ago and there were a few more growing.  Pity this rain today didn't last a bit longer but it supposed to rain a fair bit on Saturday :smile:

OfflineBlackzetsu
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Season End Date? [Re: blessed]
    #26686973 - 05/22/20 12:29 AM (13 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

blessed said:
Quote:

allegory.temple said:
I've just been drying them out on a sheet of newspaper, they are drying but not quite brittle dry yet. I've seen descriptions of other ways to dry on other threads, but can anyone tell me if it is a problem if I dry them this way? Seems ok, no mould, just very shrivelled...want to respect my lil magic friends and keep them potent.

Hello allegory.temple

Just letting them sit on some newspaper is not a good idea.  You need to ether use a fan or a food dehydrator to dry them asap and then store them asap in a air-tight container or jar,
*you'll need some damp-rid product too.

if you can, get a fan like this;

If you do use a fan, it will have to be drying the mushrooms consistently for at least 3-4 days.  After fan drying you'll need to put them in a airtight container*.
(*scroll down for more info (my reply to Rumblefish)

If you use a food dehydrator, just make sure you use the lowest heat settings.  the mushrooms should dry within 12 hours roughly (this depends on the size of the mushrooms you're drying),
then pop them into your storage container* :thumbup:.

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
Oh ok, cheers.

Lucky I'm still finding them then!!

Got about 25g chopped and about the same drying.

I don't have the ability to freeze them so how would you store them for the long term?

Here's my very simple storage setup

All these things can be bought at Coles.  They should still sell that particular food container, and last I checked, they still sell the hippo (damp-rid).

Last year I had 2 of these containers full (one was only half full) containing over 200g of super dry shrooms, so there's heaps of room.
I'd suggest to all new hunters to get these things and then your storage problems will be problems no more :thumbup:.

Last thing is to just store the container in a cupboard or drawer out of the way, and I see no reason why they won't last a year or 2 easily :borat:.

thanks for sharing this, gold material

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Blackzetsu]
    #26687080 - 05/22/20 02:14 AM (13 days, 5 hours ago)

Happy to help :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

Best Personal Computers Ever !!!! ** Commodore 64 ** Amiga 500 ** Amiga 1200 ** Amiga 3000 ** & The Amiga 4000 **

OfflineTAZshroomer
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: P. Tasmaniana [Re: blessed]
    #26687185 - 05/22/20 03:56 AM (13 days, 4 hours ago)

Hey guys just wondering if we get P. Alutacea here in Tassie.
Also has anyone had any luck finding any tasmaniana's?

OfflineWeBeTrippyMane
Apprentice Psychonaut

Re: Season End Date? [Re: Blackzetsu]
    #26690061 - 05/23/20 09:53 AM (11 days, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

Blackzetsu said:
Quote:

blessed said:
Quote:

allegory.temple said:
I've just been drying them out on a sheet of newspaper, they are drying but not quite brittle dry yet. I've seen descriptions of other ways to dry on other threads, but can anyone tell me if it is a problem if I dry them this way? Seems ok, no mould, just very shrivelled...want to respect my lil magic friends and keep them potent.

Hello allegory.temple

Just letting them sit on some newspaper is not a good idea.  You need to ether use a fan or a food dehydrator to dry them asap and then store them asap in a air-tight container or jar,
*you'll need some damp-rid product too.

if you can, get a fan like this;

If you do use a fan, it will have to be drying the mushrooms consistently for at least 3-4 days.  After fan drying you'll need to put them in a airtight container*.
(*scroll down for more info (my reply to Rumblefish)

If you use a food dehydrator, just make sure you use the lowest heat settings.  the mushrooms should dry within 12 hours roughly (this depends on the size of the mushrooms you're drying),
then pop them into your storage container* :thumbup:.

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
Oh ok, cheers.

Lucky I'm still finding them then!!

Got about 25g chopped and about the same drying.

I don't have the ability to freeze them so how would you store them for the long term?

Here's my very simple storage setup

All these things can be bought at Coles.  They should still sell that particular food container, and last I checked, they still sell the hippo (damp-rid).

Last year I had 2 of these containers full (one was only half full) containing over 200g of super dry shrooms, so there's heaps of room.
I'd suggest to all new hunters to get these things and then your storage problems will be problems no more :thumbup:.

Last thing is to just store the container in a cupboard or drawer out of the way, and I see no reason why they won't last a year or 2 easily :borat:.

thanks for sharing this, gold material

I tried this tech with three jars full of subs, two rotted one went really brown and didn’t look edible after a few months. I suggest getting a $45 dehydrator off eBay and a vac sealer if possible especially if you’re hauling large amounts.

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
Re: Season End Date? [Re: WeBeTrippyMane]
    #26690557 - 05/23/20 02:35 PM (11 days, 17 hours ago)

You mustn't have dried them properly before you put them in the jars.  Also what did you use for moisture removal in the jars?  The only time that I've had issues with mold or any other form of decay (within the storage container) is when I didn't dry them properly before putting them into the storage container.  This happened when I had a big find and it was hard for my fan to dry them all properly.
If a mushroom is covered by too many other mushrooms when in the drying stage (using fan), then some mushrooms can start to get a bit funky because it doesn't have enough air circulating around it causing mold/decay to start to form.

In saying all that, I've been hunting for nearly ten years and have always used a fan to dry and the storage container mentioned above and have never had a problem (except for what I just mentioned above, the mushroom wasn't dried properly).  That's why I now use two fans for drying when I find many shrooms in one go.

--------------------

Best Personal Computers Ever !!!! ** Commodore 64 ** Amiga 500 ** Amiga 1200 ** Amiga 3000 ** & The Amiga 4000 **

Edited by blessed (05/26/20 01:36 AM)

OfflineMakeroi
Hungry
Female
Loc: Tasmania Flag
Re: Season End Date? [Re: blessed]
    #26692186 - 05/24/20 09:22 AM (10 days, 22 hours ago)

Hi folks. This is my second year attempting to find mushies and failing. I am feeling quite let down. I've not tried them before but I am eager to.

I live in the Howrah area and have searched all around Mt Wellington, parts of Taroona, even through bush areas in Collinsville. Nothing. I'm so confused. Maybe people have already gone through by the time I arrive. I don't know.

I made an account today to look through posts and try to decipher where I could be heading, but no luck. Some of your harvests look amazing. I've considered just buying kits online and trying to grow them myself but I'd like to save myself $70 odd if I can.

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Makeroi]
    #26693231 - 05/24/20 05:37 PM (10 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Makeroi said:
Hi folks. This is my second year attempting to find mushies and failing. I am feeling quite let down. I've not tried them before but I am eager to.

I live in the Howrah area and have searched all around Mt Wellington, parts of Taroona, even through bush areas in Collinsville. Nothing. I'm so confused. Maybe people have already gone through by the time I arrive. I don't know.

I made an account today to look through posts and try to decipher where I could be heading, but no luck. Some of your harvests look amazing. I've considered just buying kits online and trying to grow them myself but I'd like to save myself $70 odd if I can.

This is what I've found to help me identify patches around Hobart...

What they don't like;
- Sunbaked/hard earth
- other ground covering plants
- no sun at all

What they do like;
- softish earth
- where bracken is
- some sun
- the edge of forests/patches of bracken, never in the middle

Hope that helps

OfflineDaysOfMagic
Stranger
Male

#26693999 - 05/25/20 12:14 AM (10 days, 7 hours ago)

Some photos from last hunt:

Look at this beautiful blue color :cool:

OfflineMakeroi
Hungry
Female
Re: Season End Date? [Re: DaysOfMagic]
    #26694016 - 05/25/20 12:46 AM (10 days, 7 hours ago)

I swear I see mushrooms like the ones pictured here all the time, but I can't be entirely sure. I am an enthusiastic fungi hunter as it is, and go out to photograph them every season... have done for about five years now. But my basic knowledge hasn't helped me find any psilocybe mushrooms.

I think I might just buy some spores online and be done with it. The description given above doesn't spark any locations in my mind!

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification