Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
Offlineallegory.temple
allegory
 User Gallery
Loc: Lutruwita ~ TAS
Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020 NO ID REQUESTS ** [Re: WeBeTrippyMane]
    #26677662 - 05/17/20 08:17 PM (17 days, 11 hours ago)

Hi Tassie hunters,

New here, though I lurked online last year :smile:

Loving everyone's photos, so impressive!

I've been consistently finding small patches in my area around Hobart, found a patch of eight pin babies yesterday, I'll go back and get them after it rains.

I've just been drying them out on a sheet of newspaper, they are drying but not quite brittle dry yet. I've seen descriptions of other ways to dry on other threads, but can anyone tell me if it is a problem if I dry them this way? Seems ok, no mould, just very shrivelled...want to respect my lil magic friends and keep them potent.

Will be my first time trying subs, I am more familiar with cubensis. Looking forward to it.

Grateful this small community is here to chat with :laugh:

--------------------
:sun:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020 NO ID REQUESTS ** [Re: allegory.temple]
    #26677699 - 05/17/20 08:39 PM (17 days, 10 hours ago)

I first tried drying mine in my ensuite under the IXL heater with the fan on and it wasn't fast enough.

Now I put on a piece of paper in front of a fan heater on it's lowest fan and heat settings.  They dry to a crisp in 6-8 hours, then I chop really fine and put in a glass jar with a teabag filled with salt to take anymore moisture out.

Hopefully this works as I need to save most of what I have until early next year :smile:

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020 NO ID REQUESTS ** [Re: Rumblefish]
    #26677760 - 05/17/20 09:09 PM (17 days, 10 hours ago)

Apparently it's not a good idea to grind or chop them up if your planning to store them for quite some time (as it degrades the potency faster).
It's better to store the mushrooms whole and then chop/grind up when you need.

I've gotta take a picture or two, so I'll be back later with some pics of my drying and storage setup.

--------------------

Best Personal Computers Ever !!!! ** Commodore 64 ** Amiga 500 ** Amiga 1200 ** Amiga 3000 ** & The Amiga 4000 **

Offlinebluesunshine94
Stranger
Re: Newbie here [Re: Rumblefish]
    #26677863 - 05/17/20 10:21 PM (17 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
Where in Tassie are you bluesunshine?

Southern Tassie. cheers

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Newbie here [Re: bluesunshine94]
    #26677919 - 05/17/20 11:26 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

PM sent

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020 NO ID REQUESTS ** [Re: blessed]
    #26677922 - 05/17/20 11:27 PM (17 days, 7 hours ago)

Oh ok, cheers.

Lucky I'm still finding them then!!

Got about 25g chopped and about the same drying.

I don't have the ability to freeze them so how would you store them for the long term?

Offlinesubhunt
Stranger

Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020 NO ID REQUESTS ** [Re: Rumblefish]
    #26678028 - 05/18/20 01:24 AM (17 days, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

Funkadelic12 said:
Quote:

Does anyone else get the mushroom tetris effect after finding a few friends? :eek:

What is this homie? Would love a description

Haha, the tetris effect is closed eye visuals of Tetris after playing too much. After a solid hunt, I get CEVs of their little golden tops, maybe I ingest a little bit by accident :cool:

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
I don't have the ability to freeze them so how would you store them for the long term?

If you want them to be good by early next year, it is worth investing in a cheap dehydrator and storing them whole with desiccant. Even with good preparation, some of my leftovers from last year smell a little funky.

OfflineMan Day South
Stranger
Re: **OFFICIAL TASMANIAN PSILOCYBE SEASON 2020 NO ID REQUESTS ** [Re: subhunt]
    #26678049 - 05/18/20 01:49 AM (17 days, 5 hours ago)

I follow the below method and it’s extremely easy and cheap, though a little more involved than other methods. Making your own desiccant is definitely to way to go in my opinion! I add in one extra step where I pre dry them using a fan over night, then put them in a airtight container with desiccant for a week or so, then put in my stash jar also has a pouch of desiccant in it. They are all nice and cracker dry now!

https://www.zamnesia.com/content/285-how-to-dry-and-store-magic-mushrooms

On another note, added about twenty minutes to a walk I do most days and struck absolute gold!:

Edited by Man Day South (05/18/20 01:53 AM)

OfflineBlackzetsu
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Season End Date? [Re: MpSeph]
    #26678073 - 05/18/20 02:27 AM (17 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

MpSeph said:
Those Were Still Potent. They Don't Just Lose All Their Potency From Maturing. The Active Levels May Drop A Tad Bit, But They'll Still Put You On Your Ass.

They May Contain Some Bacteria, From Growing In The Wild, Which May Or May Not Give You The Shits, But Making Tea Fixes That Problem.

hey mate, whats the chances of bacteria when the mushrooms you pick are almost pretty much dried out from lack of rain?

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Blackzetsu]
    #26678076 - 05/18/20 02:34 AM (17 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

allegory.temple said:
I've just been drying them out on a sheet of newspaper, they are drying but not quite brittle dry yet. I've seen descriptions of other ways to dry on other threads, but can anyone tell me if it is a problem if I dry them this way? Seems ok, no mould, just very shrivelled...want to respect my lil magic friends and keep them potent.

Hello allegory.temple

Just letting them sit on some newspaper is not a good idea.  You need to ether use a fan or a food dehydrator to dry them asap and then store them asap in a air-tight container or jar,
*you'll need some damp-rid product too.

if you can, get a fan like this;

If you do use a fan, it will have to be drying the mushrooms consistently for at least 3-4 days.  After fan drying you'll need to put them in a airtight container*.
(*scroll down for more info (my reply to Rumblefish)

If you use a food dehydrator, just make sure you use the lowest heat settings.  the mushrooms should dry within 12 hours roughly (this depends on the size of the mushrooms you're drying),
then pop them into your storage container* :thumbup:.

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
Oh ok, cheers.

Lucky I'm still finding them then!!

Got about 25g chopped and about the same drying.

Here's my very simple storage setup

All these things can be bought at Coles.  They should still sell that particular food container, and last I checked, they still sell the hippo (damp-rid).

Last year I had 2 of these containers full (one was only half full) containing over 200g of super dry shrooms, so there's heaps of room.
I'd suggest to all new hunters to get these things and then your storage problems will be problems no more :thumbup:.

Last thing is to just store the container in a cupboard or drawer out of the way, and I see no reason why they won't last a year or 2 easily :borat:.

--------------------

Best Personal Computers Ever !!!! ** Commodore 64 ** Amiga 500 ** Amiga 1200 ** Amiga 3000 ** & The Amiga 4000 **

Edited by blessed (05/18/20 02:50 AM)

OfflineAlutacea
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Season End Date? [Re: blessed]
    #26678107 - 05/18/20 03:13 AM (17 days, 4 hours ago)

Hi all.

Launceston based first season picker here. So far I’m having a good season finding a few 300-400g fresh bush patches and having a great time learning.

I have found a couple of smaller finds in mulch beds around town but nothing substantial.

I was wondering if suburban subs are a thing in launnie ?? I have covered a lot of mulched areas for no huge results so was thinking is it too early in the season ? Temps and moisture still not at optimal levels ??

I keep seeing these crazy finds in Melbourne in city mulch beds and think surely our climate is reasonably similar.

Advice from any northern hunters would be greatly appreciated.

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26678198 - 05/18/20 05:07 AM (17 days, 2 hours ago)

That's awesome, cheers!!

Drying mine infront of a fan heater and they are super crispy after 2 nights.

Was then cutting them up really fine but apparently this can make them less potent, so will stop that for now.

Think I will just go straight from heater to container you mentioned as mine are very dry!!

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Alutacea]
    #26678199 - 05/18/20 05:10 AM (17 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Alutacea said:
Hi all.

Launceston based first season picker here. So far I’m having a good season finding a few 300-400g fresh bush patches and having a great time learning.

I have found a couple of smaller finds in mulch beds around town but nothing substantial.

I was wondering if suburban subs are a thing in launnie ?? I have covered a lot of mulched areas for no huge results so was thinking is it too early in the season ? Temps and moisture still not at optimal levels ??

I keep seeing these crazy finds in Melbourne in city mulch beds and think surely our climate is reasonably similar.

My understanding is that Melbourne councils use just the right type of bark mulch for them to grow in, where as Tassie one's don't.

I used to live up north and the one spot we used to get heaps now has an electric fence around it.

If down here is anything to go by, you'd be amazed where they are.  I have found over 500g along side roads with mature Eucalyptus at sea level!!
Just keep looking for those micro climates, oh and they seem to grow where braken does!!

Offlineallegory.temple
allegory
 User Gallery
Loc: Lutruwita ~ TAS
    #26678206 - 05/18/20 05:24 AM (17 days, 1 hour ago)

Great thanks so much for your tips. I need to get a better set up before picking more, though I am confident the ones that have been air drying are not lost! I've actually used a low heat hairdryer to move them along. I'm trying to be subtle and discreet from the people I live with, makes the whole thing a bit more difficult...

--------------------
:sun:

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SA Flag
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Rumblefish]
    #26678210 - 05/18/20 05:26 AM (17 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
Quote:

Alutacea said:
Hi all.

My understanding is that Melbourne councils use just the right type of bark mulch for them to grow in, where as Tassie one's don't.

No id say thats bullshit. I doubt it has to do with using the right mulch, in a few odd cases that may be so. A good grade of woodchips i think would be key. You dont want bark but wood chips as well. Though they can grow on pine bark, albeit not well.

Melbourne is a big city, and from my gatherings they tend to use a lot of woodchips for landscaping, i would say the majority of their woodchips come from Gippsland where sub spores would get into the woodchips. I believe more often Melbourne councils lay woodchips thicker, and perhaps replenish them more often.

The key is that Melbourne has lots of spores cycling through the city and lots of established patches of subs on woodchips.

Tasmania and Victoria both share an Oceanic climate and Tas is further South so i dont think that has anything to do with it.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Listen to the voice of one crying in the wilderness.

OfflineAlutacea
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Season End Date? [Re: OOISI]
    #26678244 - 05/18/20 06:08 AM (17 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

Rumblefish said:
Quote:

Alutacea said:
Hi all.

I used to live up north and the one spot we used to get heaps now has an electric fence around it.

If down here is anything to go by, you'd be amazed where they are.  I have found over 500g along side roads with mature Eucalyptus at sea level!!
Just keep looking for those micro climates, oh and they seem to grow where braken does!!

Thanks heaps. Don’t feel like PM’’ing me any areas around here you may know of ??

OfflineFunkadelic12
Stranger

Re: Season End Date? [Re: Rumblefish]
    #26678249 - 05/18/20 06:14 AM (17 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

How would you describe the kind of microclimate to look for to a rookie Hunter?

OfflineRumblefish
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Funkadelic12]
    #26678270 - 05/18/20 06:32 AM (17 days, 47 minutes ago)

Quote:

Funkadelic12 said:
Quote:

How would you describe the kind of microclimate to look for to a rookie Hunter?

Areas that get some sun but not too much.  Also protected by from too much wind.
I have found them along the edge of a large area of bracken but walked all through the bracken and found none.
Needs to be reasonably wet but not too wet, eg. the ground seems to still be soft where I find them now, even though it hasn't rained for a week.

One area I have found heaps has tracks going NW/SE.  They are hardly never along the southern side of the tracks as this gets more sun and the soil is harder from being baked.
And finally, Eucalyptus foliage creating mulch is a winner too!!

InvisibleMpSeph
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA
Re: Season End Date? [Re: Blackzetsu]
    #26679149 - 05/18/20 02:56 PM (16 days, 16 hours ago)

When Picking Wild Mushrooms, It Is Important For One To Note That Wherever They Are Found Growing, There Are Likely Animals In The Area As Well.

A Deer/Other Animal Could Walk By & Piss All Over Them.

Someone Walking Down A Trail Could Stop To Take A Piss & Piss On Them Unknowingly.

Rats/Field Mice & Other Animals (That Usually Carry Bacteria) Could Nibble On Them.

There Are Hundreds Of Examples. Just Know That A Sun Dried Mushroom Has Been Out There For Awhile, Atleast 2 Days. The Longer They're Out There, The More Time Something Has To Mess With Them.

--------------------
One Who Hunts Mushrooms Is A Mushroom Hunter. One Who Eats Them Without Knowing What They Are, Is A Dumb Mushroom Hunter. - Seph

OfflineFunkadelic12
Stranger

Re: Season End Date? [Re: MpSeph]
    #26679287 - 05/18/20 04:35 PM (16 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

MpSeph said:
When Picking Wild Mushrooms, It Is Important For One To Note That Wherever They Are Found Growing, There Are Likely Animals In The Area As Well.

A Deer/Other Animal Could Walk By & Piss All Over Them.

Someone Walking Down A Trail Could Stop To Take A Piss & Piss On Them Unknowingly.

Rats/Field Mice & Other Animals (That Usually Carry Bacteria) Could Nibble On Them.

There Are Hundreds Of Examples. Just Know That A Sun Dried Mushroom Has Been Out There For Awhile, Atleast 2 Days. The Longer They're Out There, The More Time Something Has To Mess With Them.

Profound. Thank you for your input.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification