Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefrock
Oat, Wheat, & Barley - Alpfalfa King - ever tried it?
    #2654101 - 05/08/04 06:58 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So I stopped by Petsmart and picked up a lb of Oat, Wheat, & Barley compressed bale of hay. Its definately hay and not straw. But my question is, has anyone tried using hay before, or this particular brand before. Its made by Alfalfa King. "Note, there is no alfalfa in it like the other product which is called timothy hay"

So instead of people arguing the difference between hay and straw, I want to know who has sucessfully used hay instead of straw. I know there has to be someone out there that has picked this up from petsmart or petco before.

Would I be wasting my time? I am going to give it a shot in a few weeks here either way but was interested in other experiences.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: Oat, Wheat, & Barley - Alpfalfa King - ever tried it? [Re: frock]
    #2654159 - 05/08/04 07:17 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Heres a Hay Tek out of the FAQ.I have never used it though so i have no idea what your results will be like. :goodluck:
Hay Tek

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2654248 - 05/08/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I have a casing right now that was cased 2 days ago.
It was just an experiement,but so far so good.
It's GT's,2 pints of white millet,spawned to timothy hay,cased 60/40,and it's just now starting to show through the casing layer.
My limit's gone or I would post a pic,tomorrow.

And I have one spawned to straw also the same,just to see the difference,it too is showing through the casing layer.
So far no contams.

--------------------

Edited by doc34 (05/08/04 07:40 PM)

Offlinefrock
    #2654275 - 05/08/04 07:47 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys.

Doc, would love to hear your results with that, and what the difference ends up being between the two. Keep me updated on your progress.

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2654310 - 05/08/04 07:56 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I'll post pics of them.
Good luck!

--------------------

InvisibleMykro_Guy
Myco Student
 User Gallery

#2654786 - 05/08/04 10:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yea id like to see hoe it goes... good luck

Offlinefrock
    #2668938 - 05/12/04 04:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So I decided to experiment,

I am currently awaiting for 12 pf jars to finish colonizing along with several pints of wbs, and a new casing made of 2 full pints, but I wanted to give this hay thing a early test.

I took all of my exhausted cakes from my last flush and cut out the cores of all of them leaving me with a bunch of small cakes. I did this just in case there were any contams that might be on the outside of the cakes seeing as they have been around for a while now.

I put them all into a ziplock bag with a mixture of h20 - h202. I let them dunk for 24 hours. After this I drained the water out of the ziplock and broke them up as much as I could.

I then took a small amount of oat, barley, and wheat hay, and pasturized for 1.5 hours in my oven. I used a disposable metal pan from the grocery store. I then drained the water from this, and stuck in my freezer to cool for about 15 minutes or so.

Next, I proceded to mix my reused crumbled cakes into my hay mixture, covered with foil, poked small holes, and into the incubator.

It has been 2 days, and the mycelium is growing back very vigorisly and strong. It appears to like my mixture of hay. There is no signs of any contams so far.

I used a mixture of maybe 5 parts hay, to 1 part of exausted brf cake cores.

The way things are going I am going to case with a mixture of coco coir and verm in approx: 2-5 days. I wanted to wait and case after the mycelium got a good foothold on the hay and is nearing 100% colonization. This would also let me inspect for any possible contams that may arise from using hay instead of straw.

This is my first try with hay and I have never done anything but pf tek so far. Im not expecting to much, but am going to keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

I would post pics but I dont have a camera. Sorry.

Doc, how is your timothy hay coming along compared to your straw?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation