Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo
    #26536410 - 03/15/20 10:55 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

https://psychedelicreview.com/study-participants-experience-psychedelic-effects-after-receiving-placebo/

Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo

Really long article just click to read

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo [Re: morrowasted]
    #26536569 - 03/15/20 12:21 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

This happens with pretty much any drug, tbh.  The placebo effect is powerful.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo [Re: badchad]
    #26536929 - 03/15/20 04:12 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

The whole study seems pretty invalid due to the fact that the researchers had people in the group pretending to be part of the study and told them to "act high" and then other people went along with it.  They not only used the placebo affect but the power or social influence.

This study could've been done a lot better and it seems like they got the results and headline that they wanted.

OfflineVP123
Strange
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #26537418 - 03/15/20 08:25 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

But did they actually experience psychedelic effects? Or were they led to believe they were experiencing those effects? What about long term (afterglow)?

OfflineTNK
Pleasures of Africa
I'm a teapot Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: I AM THUNDERBOT
Re: Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #26537615 - 03/15/20 10:33 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheStallionMang said:
The whole study seems pretty invalid due to the fact that the researchers had people in the group pretending to be part of the study and told them to "act high" and then other people went along with it.  They not only used the placebo affect but the power or social influence.

This study could've been done a lot better and it seems like they got the results and headline that they wanted.

That is a good point; it's too bad they didn't use a separate control group that didn't include people 'acting' high on psychedelics. It would be tremendously interesting to see what the results were in all groups, especially the group with no actors and placebo  to see what visual hallucinations the subjects of the placebo experienced.

Unfortunately the study or use of these controlled substances rarely occurs.

--------------------
Edited by TNK (02/22/22 22:22 PM)

Offlinedk-1

Re: Study Participants Experience Psychedelic Effects after Receiving Placebo [Re: TNK]
    #26537641 - 03/15/20 11:06 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I don't doubt it. The mind is a powerful thing.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #26538017 - 03/16/20 07:20 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheStallionMang said:

^This. I've experienced something like this firsthand. You think the placebo effect is strong? Well its unbelievable how powerful social influence is.

When I was ~20 and renting a house with a few buds we and a few other friends acquired some bunk acid, there were ~8 of us in total. Me and one of my other roommates were the only ones who had ever done psychedelics before and one of my best friends at the time was over and he had never done tryptamines, but he had done ecstasy, and a shit load of other drugs.

Well, no one experienced effects for well over an hour and people started grumbling about getting ripped off but of course the guys who convinced everyone to throw in were like "it takes time, just give it time" and then it started with the most drug naive.

And it just kept spreading from there, one person after another got "convinced" that everyone else was tripping and they started tripping too. Thing is, some people didn't "start feeling it" until 3+ hours after dosing.

It got to the point where only me and 2 other guys were the ones maintaining that we didn't feel anything, one of them being the friend I mentioned earlier...who then gave up and went to lie down in my bedroom to go to sleep, but he came out in half an hour or so, now almost 4 hours after everyone dosed saying he had started feeling it too.

Everyone was really focused with why me and my other roommate weren't tripping, I guess that fact was disturbing their imaginary trip and causing cognitive dissonance. Eventually we were just like "oh yeah, I feel it a little bit now, mine must have been weak" while purporting to each other that we didn't feel shit.

He wasn't the smartest guy, and was kind of confused as to what was happening...I knew what was happening, I knew it was bunk, I knew it was placebo/social influence. But no one wanted to hear that, and if I tried to tell them they would just started acting more high.

Anyways, eventually you had 7/9 people tripping on paper all night long.

I thought maybe I was immune from it because I had done acid/shrooms before so I was too attuned to the true affects to imagine them BUT my roommate who I mentioned earlier that had experience with both acid and shrooms was one of the guys who fell victim and the other guy who with me never felt anything had never done any acid/shrooms and not even ecstasy.

-------------------------

Though one crazy thing did happen that night, there was an icestorm, and we had this huuuge fucking cedar tree in our front yard...well the top of it broke off(I mean like the top ~15-20 feet) and on the way down it knocked out our stolen cable(real bummer, as the stolen cable was hooked up already when we moved in and we weren't going to hook it up again even if we knew how) and made a ridiculous mess in our yard. But I just gave an 8th to these 2 high school kids who would come around to buy pot sometimes to clean it up.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/16/20 07:29 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom