Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >
InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Loc: SA
Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ * 8
    #26533753 - 03/14/20 12:44 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Good luck and happy hunting all, let's hope this one kicks off a little earlier. So far so good:cool:

G.purpuratus

G.junonius

A.muscaria

A.rubescens

P.subaeruginosa

JK..NSW find:grin:

Edited by bobwastaken (03/14/20 12:58 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineColonel
Mycotographer
Male

Loc: PNW, Washington Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken] * 1
    #26533796 - 03/14/20 01:42 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

That shot of the subaeruginosa is killer! Great work!
:grampofapproval:

--------------------

P. Ovoideocystidiata                          P. Cyanescens                                P. Northwest
Colonel's Roatan/Honduras LC
Thai Lipa Yai Monotub Grow

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Loc: SA Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken]
    #26533843 - 03/14/20 02:39 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

:omgawesome: seat reseved....

Nice one Bob.

--------------------
"To the young it gives a vision of the dead and gone. While the old receive a passion to survive,
and the pattern picks the pockets of the palindrome, before the oscillating rhythm takes to flight..." - Rishloo

Offlineent
L'estasi dell'oro
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: brk]
    #26533844 - 03/14/20 02:43 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

get em bob

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: ent]
    #26533862 - 03/14/20 03:03 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

:breakout:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineWeBeTrippyMane
Apprentice Psychonaut

Loc: Lutruwita ;) Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: pineninja]
    #26535329 - 03/14/20 06:27 PM (2 months, 19 days ago)

Amazing pics as always bob! Nice to see the season kicking off in SA, with all of the damage done it must be nice to see some fresh life! :mushroom2:

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: WeBeTrippyMane]
    #26535348 - 03/14/20 06:41 PM (2 months, 19 days ago)

I had a dream about them a few hours ago, so i knew i had to check the Shroomery!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Listen to the voice of one crying in the wilderness.

Edited by OOISI (04/03/20 08:47 PM)

Invisiblebreeg89
i'll tell ya hwhat
 User Gallery

Loc: norcal
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OOISI]
    #26535537 - 03/14/20 08:51 PM (2 months, 19 days ago)

Loving those pics and finds. The sub season has peaked early with that pic. The thorny shit in the background reminds me of hunting caerulescens in GA.

OfflineThe ThingS
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southern Australia
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: breeg89]
    #26537015 - 03/15/20 04:55 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

You cant start an official SA thread with finds from interstate bobwastaken.

:crankey:

I recognised that sub pin pic from the NSW thread you posted in.

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: The Thing]
    #26537152 - 03/15/20 06:15 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

I take it you didn't read the spoiler under the sub pic in the opening post? Gymnopilus purpuratus is the active species which qualifies as the season opener and yes they were found in the Adelaide hills.

Edited by bobwastaken (03/15/20 06:17 PM)

Offlinegaussflayer
Scatterday PR/BL mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Australia Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken]
    #26537318 - 03/15/20 07:41 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Well looks like that time of the year again can't wait it's been a fun wait. Intend on experimenting with some micro dosing this season round.

--------------------
The best form of harm reduction is prevention.

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Loc: South Australia
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: gaussflayer]
    #26537601 - 03/15/20 10:12 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Welcome back everyone, looking forward to a good season.

--------------------
Psychedelics prove to you that there’s more than one way of seeing the world

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: frunco]
    #26537637 - 03/15/20 11:03 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Keen as for the season! Already have sub mycelium eating nicely in my barkchip yard that I transferred from the SE lofty ranges...

I also have some questions for the seasoned experts

1. Can sub spores travel in watercourses and deposit downstream and start new growth?

2. Has anyone known of subs to grow on the lower southern hills (O'Halloran, Sheidow park/trott park)? environment in between these hills look ripe for subs to grow...

thanks legends!

InvisibleThe_Forager
Poppin

#26537732 - 03/16/20 01:01 AM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Thanks for kicking it off Bob, everyone enjoy the season, I do think it will come earlier this time round.

Few days of warm weather coming up followed by a cool change kicking in on Friday, not much rain around that time but decent temps.

Useful weather links for those interested.

South Australia Forecast Areas:
http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/map.shtml

South Australia Radars:
http://www.bom.gov.au/sa/forecasts/map.shtml

Slightly more user friendly site with helpful info:
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/sa/adelaide/adelaide

Happy Hunting.

Offlineobtuse
myco0
I'm a teapot

Loc: tasmania Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: The_Forager]
    #26537915 - 03/16/20 05:30 AM (2 months, 18 days ago)

excellent work Bob

--------------------
#guerrillamycology

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Loc: To your south Flag
    #26539411 - 03/16/20 08:39 PM (2 months, 17 days ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
G.purpuratus

Those are beautiful. No alutacea out there yet? Roos probably not pooing enough after the dry summer?

OfflineThe ThingS
Male User Gallery

#26547644 - 03/20/20 09:07 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
I take it you didn't read the spoiler under the sub pic in the opening post? Gymnopilus purpuratus is the active species which qualifies as the season opener and yes they were found in the Adelaide hills.

I absolutely did not see the spoiler alert!!

My bad.

Just seemed a bit too coincidental to me. What with all the moss and fresh shoots in the back ground. And a quick check of the bom rainfall at mt lofty.. 5mm at the start of march, feb was dry apart from that 60mm event on feb 1st.

Quite a different story in nsw though as far as rain events.. the hunter area would have been soaked in some areas getting over 300mm, more even.

So you can see how it looks starting this thread a few days after getting back from your nsw trip.

Anyone else in the hills finding anything??

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: The Thing] * 1
    #26564569 - 03/29/20 06:08 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

NobodyYouKnow said:
Those are beautiful. No alutacea out there yet? Roos probably not pooing enough after the dry summer?

Thanks, was a bit early. There could be some around now in areas frequently reaching the dew point.

Quote:

The Thing said:

I absolutely did not see the spoiler alert!!

My bad.

Just seemed a bit too coincidental to me. What with all the moss and fresh shoots in the back ground. And a quick check of the bom rainfall at mt lofty.. 5mm at the start of march, feb was dry apart from that 60mm event on feb 1st.

Quite a different story in nsw though as far as rain events.. the hunter area would have been soaked in some areas getting over 300mm, more even.

So you can see how it looks starting this thread a few days after getting back from your nsw trip.

Anyone else in the hills finding anything??

No worries, I've had luck searching areas which frequently reach the dew point at this stage. I can't see any subs coming up for another month or so.

For any new hunters looking where to get started I've expanded the SA Mushroom Hunters Guide to include Gymnopilus purpuratus, P.alutacea and P.subaeruginosa

Offlinethirdstan
hunter
Male

Loc: south australia
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: juicywetslopes]
    #26566397 - 03/30/20 01:59 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

Never used to have that many trees around till the expressway got vegetated. Could start a patch.

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: thirdstan]
    #26572644 - 04/02/20 06:01 AM (2 months, 1 day ago)

there was a heavy fog which left everything soaking on the eastern slopes of the Loftys this morning. I was working near Woodside/Lobethal area right next to some potentially great spots, my hands were on the job and eyes were scanning around all the grass and bark litter :crazy2:

the nights are getting consistently cooler now, and dews are starting to form in the valleys...things are still quite brown Southern hills way, noticed the central hills are a bit greener. First cold front of the year coming tomorrow and into Saturday, with a week of coolish temps to follow. A heatwave free Feb and March would have definetly helped the mycelium aswell. I have a feeling if you look hard and most likely LONG :grin: , and know of some good microclimates, someone will find magic!

Offlinejibbly1
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Australia Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: juicywetslopes]
    #26572673 - 04/02/20 06:38 AM (2 months, 1 day ago)

Didn't get out much last season. Hoping to make up for it this one. Good luck all!

OfflineCarbonarodo
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: thirdstan]
    #26573879 - 04/02/20 07:24 PM (2 months, 13 hours ago)

Excellent guide, thanks Bob! I’m Hoping to get out soon for my 5th season (I think)

I have seen an abundance of posts on Facebook groups about finding cubes in the eastern states, Do you think it’s possible for cubes to be found here one day?

Offlinespacefaithful
Male

Loc: out the back Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Carbonarodo]
    #26574451 - 04/03/20 03:21 AM (2 months, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

Carbonarodo said:
Excellent guide, thanks Bob! I’m Hoping to get out soon for my 5th season (I think)

I have seen an abundance of posts on Facebook groups about finding cubes in the eastern states, Do you think it’s possible for cubes to be found here one day?

As far as I'm concerned they do grow in SA in cow pastures. Never seen them myself but a few books I've looked at about South Australian fungi have them alongside subs.

Edited by spacefaithful (04/03/20 03:21 AM)

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Carbonarodo]
    #26574510 - 04/03/20 04:33 AM (2 months, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

Carbonarodo said:

You're welcome and happy hunting. I doubt it regarding Cubes or Pan.cyans since SA becomes a desert in the warmer months. Panaeolus cinctulus might occur here. It's listed as a species found in SA.

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
    #26575991 - 04/03/20 07:53 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
Quote:

Carbonarodo said:

You're welcome and happy hunting. I doubt it regarding Cubes or Pan.cyans since SA becomes a desert in the warmer months. Panaeolus cinctulus might occur here. It's listed as a species found in SA.

Here's a cluster of Cubes found in a southern beachside suburb of Adelaide. a friend grew some pf cakes and thrown the spent ones in his backyard. these fruited early february

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: tryptonite]
    #26576040 - 04/03/20 08:06 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Cinctulus does occur in SA, there's a photo of a microscopically confirmed one in my sig.

hey bob any chance you can give me or ooisi a spore print of the purp? I have prints to trade if you want pm me

18mm overnight in the north, woo! ill see if I can get out for a hunt and hopefully find some gyms

--------------------

Entheogen Trade List

Edited by tryptonite (04/03/20 08:12 PM)

Offlinemango06
Stranger
    #26576363 - 04/03/20 11:04 PM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Hey everyone this is my first season hunting and I'm very excited!

I used to grow mushrooms and have also done some extensive research on our local active species. I've been out once this season so far with not much luck and am still trying to find some good locations.

I'm posting to see if there would be anyone wanting to possibly take me out hunting and teach me the ropes /Or if people have any advice for me

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Mango

Offlinethirdstan
hunter
Male

Loc: south australia
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mango06]
    #26579023 - 04/05/20 09:09 AM (1 month, 28 days ago)

Can't wait to hunt for subs.

InvisibleSamwich
Stranger

#26580978 - 04/06/20 03:27 AM (1 month, 28 days ago)

I should have checked the forums sooner! Bob on the money as usual.

Keen to see what this weekend of moisture and cool weather manages to set in motion. Some of the micro climate areas could get going soon.

OfflineCarbonarodo
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: tryptonite]
    #26582483 - 04/06/20 07:07 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

I’ve buried caked before and had this happen. I just dream of coming across one in the wild, I have a pasture right next to my property in the hills so i check pretty often haha.

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26587873 - 04/09/20 02:24 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

Has anyone lost a camo backpack from here? went to what I believe is a prettttty well known spot for a little look and found it with a jacket and compass inside

The next rain and drop of temps should definitely bring the first flushes, its dewy enough in some of the valleys, just need those temps to drop a few more degrees

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

#26589533 - 04/09/20 07:24 PM (1 month, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Carbonarodo said:
I’ve buried caked before and had this happen. I just dream of coming across one in the wild, I have a pasture right next to my property in the hills so i check pretty often haha.

that day in Feb when we got 40mm of rain would have been a good time to check as that was a rare burst of humid weather.

InvisibleSludgeCity
I Am The Beast I Worship

Loc: Bottomless Pit Flag
    #26594870 - 04/12/20 02:07 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

:popcorn:

--------------------
:trippinballs: CHOOSE THIS LIFE YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN :trippinballs:

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: SludgeCity] * 1
    #26596673 - 04/12/20 08:46 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

For anybody wondering if we can go out hunting, most places yes...

Quote:

SA parks are open for locals to visit

The COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation in Australia is constantly changing. For those who are not required to self-isolate, our parks and open spaces provide opportunities to stay active and healthy, while social distancing.

Stick to parks near you, stay up to date with government guidelines about social distancing and movement restrictions and use common sense about who you visit with.

Quote:

Cleland Wildlife Park, Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens, Seal Bay, Naracoorte and Tantanoola Caves, Adelaide Gaol and Fort Glanville Conservation Park are closed in the interests of public health and safety.

Quote:

All campgrounds and communal facilities in SA parks have been closed along with hut and homestead accommodation.

Camping and accommodation is also closed in ForestrySA reserves, but day visitors following government advice are welcome.

Upon completion of the Fire Danger Season the Heysen Trail is open to day walkers only, (no camping or hut use until further notice).

https://www.parks.sa.gov.au/know-before-you-go/covid-19-faqs

Stay aware, stay safe. :thumbup:

Offlinejibbly1
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: NobodyYouKnow]
    #26602146 - 04/15/20 05:55 AM (1 month, 19 days ago)

Good to know. I was slightly concerned there might be an increased chance of police interactions but I don't think police in SA seem to be bothering people too much. If anyone has any trouble, let us know.

Stay safe all and lucky hunting.

OfflineLife2short2follow
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: jibbly1]
    #26608625 - 04/17/20 05:11 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

I feel its nearly time

OfflineCaramelbingbong
ShiaLabeouf

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Life2short2follow]
    #26608825 - 04/17/20 06:53 PM (1 month, 16 days ago)

I am also getting these vibes, could be just about cold enough, and it's raining next few days

--------------------
My first grow summary

OfflineBob Bob
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Caramelbingbong]
    #26609676 - 04/18/20 06:20 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

Hey all,

First time poster and new to Adelaide.

Excited for the season to kick in but have a few a question.

I've come from NSW/ACT and previously only collected P. Subaeruginosa.

I am going to try collect other varieties this season and wanted to know what is the most common variety to search for around Adelaide?

Cheers.

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Bob Bob]
    #26609705 - 04/18/20 06:46 AM (1 month, 16 days ago)

If you're willing to put in the time, serious time, you could go after G.purpuratus or P.alutacea, but that would really only be for the novelty value. P.subaeruginosa is the abundant, and relatively easily attainable prize in SA.

Check out Bobs hunting guide in his sig.

--------------------
"To the young it gives a vision of the dead and gone. While the old receive a passion to survive,
and the pattern picks the pockets of the palindrome, before the oscillating rhythm takes to flight..." - Rishloo

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26611968 - 04/19/20 02:37 AM (1 month, 15 days ago)

Went out today and basically only saw agaricus. They were in two spots in the city and didnt see anything out in the hills.

I dont have any good spots anymore though, the recent fires wiped out my only "good" one so im basically at square one now.

On a side note, every conservation park was packed. Even Cleland which is officially closed. Looks like shop closures etc drove people out into nature.

Bob, looks like your prediction for a month time, from start of April is correct. If we had another 15mm or so of rain, i think they could have started now.

Vic, Tas, NZ and NSW/ACT have had action since late March/early April. Just goes to show you that Oceanic Climate types are far more suited to mushrooms than us. We have a Hot/Warm Summer Mediterranean Climate type on the Koppen types.

Curious to see any other SA heads reporting on whats going on.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Offlinehocuspsychosis
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OOISI] * 1
    #26619257 - 04/22/20 04:05 AM (1 month, 12 days ago)

i spy with my little eye, a fungal looking guy

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26620828 - 04/22/20 06:59 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Looks like this rain today and on the weekend will get the ball rolling...good falls expected

Edited by Alan Rockefeller (04/23/20 05:51 AM)

Offlinemykl1995
Stranger

#26621035 - 04/22/20 08:59 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Going out to check my mother of all patches to see what kind of activity is happening, not expecting to find any subs as its not super low (might be some tiny pins if im lucky because it has a good micro climate happening there) but like allan rockerfella said hopefully by the weekend things will start rocking :smile: will report back in a few hours

Offlinemollytrolley
Local Legend
I'm a teapot

Loc: Sloth Australia
    #26621041 - 04/22/20 09:03 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Who will be the first to claim the 2020 P.sub Corona Cup? With ferocious bushfires claiming many patches, where will the illustrious blue prize be revealed? As the rainfalls tune in for daily updates.

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mollytrolley]
    #26621129 - 04/22/20 10:03 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

I think whilst it's great to be eager you may be jumping the guns a bit.

The temps haven't been low enough yet.

There may be an isolated patch here or there but for it to kick proper we are still at least a week away probably 2.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

Offlinemykl1995
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: pineninja]
    #26621264 - 04/23/20 12:06 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

As my post clearly stated i was only going out to see whats popping and there is definitely some growth but even the early bloomers are small and few and far between, also the grassy undergrowth hasnt come through enough yet to expect any subs in this area but 2 weeks of low temps and some rainy days we will be on for sure i reckon

Offline1like2dream
count crackula
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mykl1995]
    #26621388 - 04/23/20 02:48 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

definitely going to be an earlier season this year

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: 1like2dream]
    #26625400 - 04/24/20 06:37 PM (1 month, 9 days ago)

Had a couple of galerina pop up in my garden this morning after the rains...surely theres atleast one valley somewhere out in the hills for an ambitious hunter with subs...or a sub or 2 :cool:

Offlinespacefaithful
Male

#26626120 - 04/25/20 02:17 AM (1 month, 9 days ago)

There's tons of inactive mushrooms growing all over my suburb too. I'm getting really excited to get out this season.

Offlinedavomagic
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: spacefaithful]
    #26626414 - 04/25/20 07:04 AM (1 month, 9 days ago)

the beautiful sound of rain.

Offlinespacefaithful
Male

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: davomagic]
    #26627992 - 04/25/20 07:24 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Saw someone from SA post pictures of about 6 fresh subs. Seems like they're kicking off. Good luck everyone. :smile:

OfflineLuLu2001
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: spacefaithful]
    #26628347 - 04/25/20 10:33 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

This is my first post and first time hopefully going out this season to hunt for some subs! im very keen and eager to start and have been doing HEAPS of research just so I can go about everything as safely as possible..

as a first timer I'm planning on going exploring a few places around the adelaide hills like crafers/lofty hopefully to try and find some good spots with spots of activity which i can go back to when its rained a little and the temp drops. does anyone have any good advice or tips for a first time hunter? what to bring when i go out and what to look out for? anything would be helpful.

goodluck to all this season and happy hunting! :smile:

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: LuLu2001]
    #26628425 - 04/25/20 11:22 PM (1 month, 8 days ago)

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

Offlineextinctaus
Stranger

#26628586 - 04/26/20 12:58 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Just a quick question, is it best to go on low temp days or would it be better to just go after a butt load of rain?

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: extinctaus]
    #26628911 - 04/26/20 05:32 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Has anyone had any experience with finding P.Cinctulus in SA? found heaps of P.Foes on an oval today and just had me curious about these weaker active species

Offlinejibbly1
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26629001 - 04/26/20 06:51 AM (1 month, 8 days ago)

Well, serious rain overnight and a strong cold front Tues/Wed bringing more rain and cold temperatures. Maybe next weekend might be a season starter?

Edited by jibbly1 (04/26/20 06:51 AM)

OfflineLOMAC
Bruising Blue

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: jibbly1]
    #26631221 - 04/27/20 02:41 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Getting close and getting excited! Not sure if it's enough to get things popping in my area. But I'll go for a stroll regardless.

--------------------
:mushroom2:"There's no point crying into your beer. You'll only water it down":mushroom2:

OfflineNatesa
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: jibbly1] * 1
    #26631240 - 04/27/20 02:56 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Have been for quite a few hikes over the weekend, before and after the rain and the change was unreal. So many new mushrooms, everywhere I looked. Haven't found any subs yet. I was hoping to see at least one pin hiding under a bush or something yesterday in the cooler spots but no love yet. Heaps of roo and horse shit and no signs of semilanceata life there either, not that I've ever found them before. Pretty sure I spotted a G. Purpatus from afar but it was in someones yard so I couldn't get to it for an id. Will be checking back over the week as I'd really like to get some more accurate information regarding the required fruiting conditions for the local psilocybes.

Amanita Sp.

Likely Hypholoma Sp.

And semiglobata

Hopefully the two bad boys with the thicker stem in front of the wood aren't baby princes hiding amongst the peasantry...

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Natesa]
    #26631572 - 04/27/20 07:29 AM (1 month, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Natesa said:
Have been for quite a few hikes over the weekend, before and after the rain and the change was unreal. So many new mushrooms, everywhere I looked. Haven't found any subs yet. I was hoping to see at least one pin hiding under a bush or something yesterday in the cooler spots but no love yet. Heaps of roo and horse shit and no signs of semilanceata life there either, not that I've ever found them before. Pretty sure I spotted a G. Purpatus from afar but it was in someones yard so I couldn't get to it for an id. Will be checking back over the week as I'd really like to get some more accurate information regarding the required fruiting conditions for the local psilocybes.

Couldn't agree more about the big change in conditions from last Monday to today! Pretty much all the main culprits are out apart from subs and alutacea. I think the nights are just 1-2c too warm in the past week, there is a week of 8 and below coming up which I can guarantee will get them popping. I predict this thread this time next week will have niiiice finds :smile:

goodluck all and happy hunting, what an exciting time of year!

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

#26632642 - 04/27/20 05:45 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Nice photos Nate gives an idea of the conditions out there.

The starters arm is almost straight above his head.:thumbup:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineBozdog
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: pineninja] * 2
    #26632944 - 04/27/20 08:16 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Went for a wander through the pines in the lower south east near the border yesterday. Found a patch of Amanita Muscaria. No shortage of them down here.
Heard stories many years ago about there being "golden tops" in the region.  Hoping to find some this year. Had my interest sparked about 12 months ago and have been researching since. Been to shroomery.org many times. Finally decided to sign up.

OfflineThe ThingS
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Bozdog]
    #26633166 - 04/27/20 10:06 PM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Seems logical to me that the SE is where the first subs in SA would emerge owing to the colder climate and rainfall down that way. Be sure to post any :mushroom2: finds from there bozdog and welcome to the shroomery!

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: The Thing] * 4
    #26633392 - 04/28/20 01:17 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Natesa said:

Amanita Sp.

Likely Hypholoma Sp.

And semiglobata

Hopefully the two bad boys with the thicker stem in front of the wood aren't baby princes hiding amongst the peasantry...

Nice finds mate. I'm pretty sure your semiglobata is Psathyrella Sp.

Some nice Amanitas there Bozdog. Subs in the South East will be well and truly on the move by now. Keep at it and I'm sure you run into them soon. The season starts around the same time as in Melbourne.

Managed a wander around the Adelaide Hills. Left the camera since I hadn't planned on photographing mushrooms. Found some nice sub pins on the move as well as P.alutacea.
Sorry about the Iphone quality. I may go back after this storm for better pics

and a couple shots from down south over a week ago. Didn't see any subs then.

OfflineBozdog
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: The Thing]
    #26633401 - 04/28/20 01:23 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Thanks, looking forward to learning from the community, seems like a group of likeminded enthusiasts. :smile:

There was also plenty of this variety at another location.  Not sure of the species.

OfflineBozdog
Stranger

#26633411 - 04/28/20 01:32 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Thanks mate.  Expecting some rain over the next couple of days.  Will try some different spots then.  Also there is a patch of Ghost Fungi (Omphalotus nidiformis) down this way, it is a tourist attraction.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26633433 - 04/28/20 01:57 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:

Nice finds mate. I'm pretty sure your semiglobata is Psathyrella Sp.

Some nice Amanitas there Bozdog. Subs in the South East will be well and truly on the move by now. Keep at it and I'm sure you run into them soon. The season starts around the same time as in Melbourne.

Managed a wander around the Adelaide Hills. Left the camera since I hadn't planned on photographing mushrooms. Found some nice sub pins on the move as well as P.alutacea.
Sorry about the Iphone quality. I may go back after this storm for better pics

and a couple shots from down south over a week ago. Didn't see any subs then.

Rejoice all ye people! The herald for the shroom season has arrived!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Edited by OOISI (04/28/20 02:38 AM)

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

#26633500 - 04/28/20 03:02 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

It seems one of my spots weren't safe from the fires :frown:

--------------------

OfflineHeracles
Herk
Male

#26633623 - 04/28/20 05:27 AM (1 month, 6 days ago)

That time of year again 😊

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Heracles]
    #26635034 - 04/28/20 06:16 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Ding ding ding Bob takes the gong again.:rockon:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineMajesticMoose
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Heracles]
    #26635439 - 04/28/20 09:22 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

I cant help myself, but that one looks soo much like a dick, just saying.

OfflineFATY
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MajesticMoose] * 1
    #26635593 - 04/28/20 10:42 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Hey guys new to hunting actives myself. Have always been into the Bush and exploring. Never lived anywhere that actives would grow I am from desert area haha. So after the recent move down South of Adelaide I'm keen to give them a hunt.

Been exploring my local areas the last few days, today even between the rain. Found heaps of growth after all the rain. Soo keen for the cold to set in.

Few pics of today's growths, anyone seen these around actives? Could they be a good sign that actives will be around these parts? Cheers guys have learnt alot from this site and keen to see what you guys come up with 😀

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: FATY]
    #26635619 - 04/28/20 11:01 PM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Looks like you're in the right type of areas.:thumbup:

It's all about legwork from here.

Find one and you're away.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

#26635760 - 04/29/20 01:06 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Quote:

frunco said:

It seems one of my spots weren't safe from the fires :frown:

:sad:

Always hurts, takes more than a few years for what you're looking for out there to grow back too. :thumbdown:

Good pic though mate.

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: NobodyYouKnow]
    #26635818 - 04/29/20 01:53 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Thanks,

It was pretty amazing to see how much life is back in the hard hit areas.

Was very surprised to find many inactives scattered along the burnt ground.

--------------------

OfflineBozdog
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: NobodyYouKnow] * 1
    #26635822 - 04/29/20 01:57 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Went to a different area today.  Found a lot more fungi but still no actives.  The hunt continues.....

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Bozdog]
    #26635960 - 04/29/20 04:06 AM (1 month, 5 days ago)

Wrote a short guide, its not much but i hope it can help anyone starting out. I will try and add/edit it soon. I tried to focus on habitats.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26552041

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

#26638009 - 04/30/20 12:55 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

Quote:

frunco said:
Thanks,

It was pretty amazing to see how much life is back in the hard hit areas.

Was very surprised to find many inactives scattered along the burnt ground.

We have mushrooms that only fruit after fires here, your spot is still an interesting place to keep checking out...

Native bread: Laccocephalum mylittae

Fungi and fire

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: NobodyYouKnow] * 1
    #26638043 - 04/30/20 01:10 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

These 2 pictures were taken in exactly the same spots, almost a year apart.

--------------------

Offlinenibycolisp
Stranger

#26638182 - 04/30/20 03:18 AM (1 month, 4 days ago)

Happy 2020 season to all,

First time logging on here for the year good to see people are getting out and about. Thinking of going for my first pick of the season down at my trusty 2nd Valley spot on Saturday. Hoping it's not too early!

--------------------
The price is wrong, bitch.

InvisibleSigtyr
Stranger
Male

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: nibycolisp]
    #26639936 - 04/30/20 08:51 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

I just went for a quick scout around a usually reliable spot that I know of which unfortunately has recently been decimated by logging so i wasn't expecting to find much of anything.

Lots of Amanitas around and millions of other little mushrooms (not sure what they are) and just the one lonely Sub.

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Sigtyr]
    #26639982 - 04/30/20 09:20 PM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Not sure which species you have there. possibly Inocybe Sp. In any case it isn't P.subaeruginosa. They can't be too far off now though. Good luck down South nibycolisp:mushroom2: will be looking out for your report. Sorry for those who've lost patches due to fire,logging etc. I've lost a dozens of good spots over the years to fire,logging,development etc. Good news is they'll bounce back eventually. Logged areas often produce well once new saplings go in and have grown a couple meters tall to provide shelter. Adding a few new patches to the repertoire each season should help offset any future losses.

Offlinejuicebox76
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken] * 1
    #26640256 - 05/01/20 12:46 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Im a complete beginner went out today in a few different areas with a few mates to try and find some actives, didn't have any luck but found these and more. Any tips and advice would be appreciated and good areas to be looking.

InvisibleSamwich
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: juicebox76]
    #26640336 - 05/01/20 01:52 AM (1 month, 3 days ago)

Just wait. Give it a week or two, this weather will kick things off.

OfflineMetatronThought
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Samwich]
    #26642228 - 05/01/20 09:13 PM (1 month, 2 days ago)

hi guys, i've seen heaps of mushrooms growing out down along a park. very excited to go hunting up in the hills for some magic ones, haven't been for about 10 years but looking forward to it. peace.

Edited by Alan Rockefeller (05/12/20 02:11 AM)

Offlinehocuspsychosis
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MetatronThought]
    #26642450 - 05/02/20 12:01 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

anyone found any subs?

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: hocuspsychosis] * 6
    #26642513 - 05/02/20 12:40 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Bob found some, he posted pics of some pins last page i believe. No subs for me, had a look today.

I did find my first Porcini from 10 years of hunting! Just one small specimen unfortunately. Very exciting, hope to find more of them soon. Since people are posting their inactives, i might as well post pics of this awesome find.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OOISI] * 2
    #26642515 - 05/02/20 12:44 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Post more inactive mush porn, post more edible pics always. Lucky bastard.

Offlinemollytrolley
Local Legend
I'm a teapot

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: NobodyYouKnow] * 4
    #26642721 - 05/02/20 03:14 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Found these little guys in the Adelaide hills.
Still looked a bit dry out there for prolific action.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mollytrolley]
    #26642724 - 05/02/20 03:15 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Nice find man! Season has just started, so an early find like that is really good. Did you just find them, or did you know about the patch from last season?

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Offlinemollytrolley
Local Legend
I'm a teapot

#26642731 - 05/02/20 03:26 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Thanx Ooisi.
Its ma special spot.
Its in a well known area, off the beaten track, tucked in a valley.
Found it last year.
There were a few cars out and about.

Edited by mollytrolley (05/02/20 03:35 AM)

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

#26642924 - 05/02/20 06:24 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Good work Molleytrolley, some nice early pins.:thumbup:
Also well done on the porcini finds OOISI. Round golf ball specimen there. They make for a good feed. Should be more to go round this year with the borders closed.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26642952 - 05/02/20 06:41 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
Good work Molleytrolley, some nice early pins.:thumbup:
Also well done on the porcini finds OOISI. Round golf ball specimen there. They make for a good feed. Should be more to go round this year with the borders closed.

Thanks man, really made me smile! My family are Polish and we call them Prawdziwki (Roughly Pruv-jiv-ki) and we prize them highly, just like the Italians. Would love to get enough to feed the family in Adelaide. Its about the size of an apple or orange. Dont think the spot will really produce more, but you can bet your socks ill be checking :grin:.

Unfortunately i saw three edible pickers out today, this hobby is now becoming rather popular. Lots of articles about Porcini too. Covid-19 has driven lots of people out into the hills & Conservation parks, which in some ways is good, in others quite annoying. But s'pose thems the breaks.

As a side note, I have an Adelaidenow article that says Porcinis were first officially recognized in 2010 (4 years before 2014, date of the article). My brothers and my father actually found them in early 2000's like 2002 or so.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

#26642989 - 05/02/20 07:03 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Your pic looks like you found them in pines? Was there oak nearby?

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26643004 - 05/02/20 07:11 AM (1 month, 2 days ago)

Nope, pine only. They have adapted to pine from my understanding, so hunting in pine now has an extra factor for rejoicing.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Edited by OOISI (05/02/20 10:12 AM)

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OOISI] * 1
    #26644387 - 05/02/20 06:37 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Checking a couple of my southern spots this morning, getting very close

--------------------

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OOISI] * 2
    #26644780 - 05/02/20 10:02 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Quote:

OOISI said:
Nope, pine only. They have adapted to pine from my understanding, so hunting in pine now has an extra factor for rejoicing.

Sounds like a job for some type of pine specialist.:smug:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineVibrance
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: frunco] * 1
    #26644807 - 05/02/20 10:20 PM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Some inactives from recent weeks.

Gyms

Not sure if this one was decomposing itself with its own mycelium, or had been attacked. Didn't find many like this.

Suillus of some variety.

Not sure on this one, growing in a mulched bed.

Edit: Found a few subs out today. Looking like a great fungi season ahead. Very early.

Edited by Vibrance (05/02/20 11:24 PM)

Offlinemollytrolley
Local Legend
I'm a teapot

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Vibrance]
    #26645069 - 05/03/20 02:45 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Pics or it did not happen... :mushroom2::grin:

InvisibleSamwich
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Vibrance] * 2
    #26645082 - 05/03/20 02:51 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Went out for my first hunt today, in a completely different area than usual! Didn't find any subs just yet, but they can't be far off now with the weather we're having.

Found what I think is my first Gymnopilus Purpuratus? Such a pretty little mushroom!

Found what I first thought was a huge early patch of subs, but looking closer I think they were something else. Probably the closest doppelganger to subs I've seen, just goes to show how careful you need to be.

Found a huge Gym pair!

Not sure what this was. Very purple in colour.

These things are everywhere at the moment, makes for very cool looking pine forests.

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Samwich] * 1
    #26645107 - 05/03/20 03:00 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

Appreciate the report on the south frunco. Had considered making the journey down but may hold off a little longer.

Cracker shots Vibrance.
Those be some pretty G.purpuratus Samwich.:thumbup: Very nice find indeed. Looks like a great habitat for them.

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken] * 2
    #26645136 - 05/03/20 03:36 AM (1 month, 1 day ago)

No worries Bob,

Some of the lower lying ground which was facing away from sunrise is looking greener/wetter but just needs a little time to really kick things off.

We arnet far now :0

--------------------

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: frunco] * 1
    #26646926 - 05/03/20 08:15 PM (1 month, 12 hours ago)

That's a good looking spot.:wonka:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

Offlinejuicywetslopes
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: pineninja] * 2
    #26647293 - 05/04/20 12:59 AM (1 month, 7 hours ago)

Yooooo we are on! Definetly need those 5-6c nights for the big flushes, but always nice finding your first for the year 😁 i almost missed this one, hidden under a fern.

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: juicywetslopes] * 5
    #26647318 - 05/04/20 01:15 AM (1 month, 7 hours ago)

:awesomenod:It does look promising

Also found a few more today

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken] * 2
    #26647369 - 05/04/20 02:29 AM (1 month, 6 hours ago)

Holy Shit Bob! What the fuck is going on with all those Gum capsules?? I've never seen anything like it.

--------------------

Offlineent
L'estasi dell'oro
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: brk] * 2
    #26647517 - 05/04/20 05:39 AM (1 month, 3 hours ago)

My money is on it being an nest, probably Myrmecia sp. if so. XD

OfflineLuigi Savada Mushy
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: ent] * 1
    #26647726 - 05/04/20 08:21 AM (1 month, 25 minutes ago)

A few nice edibles, Aminitas and plenty of bored new hunters in the hills last weekend! Anyone know what the tall black sucker is called?

Offlinehocuspsychosis
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Luigi Savada Mushy]
    #26648470 - 05/04/20 02:26 PM (30 days, 18 hours ago)

saw clusters of these bad boys the other day

Edited by hocuspsychosis (05/04/20 02:27 PM)

OfflineThe ThingS
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Luigi Savada Mushy]
    #26648548 - 05/04/20 03:20 PM (30 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Luigi Savada Mushy said:
Anyone know what the tall black sucker is called?

Xerula sp

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: brk] * 1
    #26649159 - 05/04/20 08:54 PM (30 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

brk said:
Holy Shit Bob! What the fuck is going on with all those Gum capsules?? I've never seen anything like it.

I thought it looked interesting too. Ent has it right. It's an inch ant nest though usually the nests I encounter are just plain clay or covered in pebbles. This colony is very artistic.

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

#26649522 - 05/05/20 01:31 AM (30 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Luigi Savada Mushy said:

Saffies! Nice haul! Those are big slipperies, are the bigger ones better? I've found the smaller saffies pack a bit more flavour than the big ones.

Offlineblessed

Loc: ation: Tasmania Flag
    #26649562 - 05/05/20 02:01 AM (30 days, 6 hours ago)

Hello Bobwastaken, ent & somebodyIknow.

It's been a few year since I've interacted with any of you.  I just wanted to say hello and that I hope things are going good for you all. :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------

Best Personal Computers Ever !!!! ** Commodore 64 ** Amiga 500 ** Amiga 1200 ** Amiga 3000 ** & The Amiga 4000 **

Invisiblecryptid
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: blessed] * 1
    #26649601 - 05/05/20 02:30 AM (30 days, 6 hours ago)

Things are starting to brighten up out there!

OfflineMidNorthMushHunter
Stranger

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: cryptid]
    #26652250 - 05/06/20 05:37 AM (29 days, 3 hours ago)

Hey all, has anyone heard of finding subs in the mid north area? Been out on a few hikes recently and found some amazing looking mushrooms. A few pine plantations lurking around as well which id like to get out to and have a look around.

OfflineBioluminescent
 User Gallery

#26654139 - 05/07/20 12:14 AM (28 days, 8 hours ago)

Oudemansiella gigaspora

OfflineItakeptus
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MidNorthMushHunter]
    #26654188 - 05/07/20 12:51 AM (28 days, 7 hours ago)

Hi all,

I recently joined the forum and have been reading a lot of your posts and threads and wanted to thank you all for being such a sharing and cool community.

Last week I went walking around the hills and saw a lot of non active shrooms. I want to go out this weekend again, do you think this weekend will be good for hunting?

Edited by Itakeptus (05/07/20 12:59 AM)

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Itakeptus] * 1
    #26654284 - 05/07/20 02:31 AM (28 days, 6 hours ago)

Hey mate, every weekend is good for hunting. Get the lay of the land. Mark down some spots that look promising, and keep going back to them throughout the season.

It's still early days, and none of my known spots are fruiting yet (north), but you never know your luck. Plus walking's good for you, and hunting is fun.

--------------------

OfflineVibrance
Stranger

Loc: Australia
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: brk] * 3
    #26654664 - 05/07/20 08:32 AM (28 days, 14 minutes ago)

Love the alutacea bob.

Took these images a few days ago. The forests were dominated by carpets of Mycena, easily the best I have seen of them. Plenty of A.muscaria and a wide variety of edibles around too.

Headed out into a windswept grassy paddock to search for P.alutacea and to my surprise found them scattered throughout the paddock, with pretty much every other dung loving species out in force too it seemed. Spotted a few dozen in a relatively small area.

The first P.subaeruginosa of the season for the area. I think there will be a big flush here a week from now after the heavy rain this weekend, there were already maybe 15 pins with a few patches waking up.

Edited by Vibrance (05/07/20 08:38 AM)

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Vibrance]
    #26655569 - 05/07/20 04:50 PM (27 days, 15 hours ago)

Very nice finds mate.:hahyeahwoo:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineItakeptus
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26655785 - 05/07/20 06:47 PM (27 days, 13 hours ago)

Yes, so true, I went out both days last weekend, and in spite not finding any active ones I had such an amazing time around nature :smile:

OfflineFATY
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Itakeptus] * 3
    #26656205 - 05/07/20 10:16 PM (27 days, 10 hours ago)

Went for a walk today. Nothing active still but plenty of growth around the place.

Was a shame to see a bunch of people walking around pulling up and just throwing on the ground every single mushroom they came across. Found a few that the clowns didnt get to destroy for fun.

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: FATY]
    #26656488 - 05/08/20 01:59 AM (27 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

FATY said:

Pool of water = Drink of the Gods. :thumbup:

Offlinelemonbreezy
Breezy
Loc: Adelaide
    #26656606 - 05/08/20 04:40 AM (27 days, 4 hours ago)

The rains are bucketing down in the West of Adel.

Generally means the hills are getting soaked :crazy2:

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: lemonbreezy]
    #26656611 - 05/08/20 04:43 AM (27 days, 4 hours ago)

Nothing in the east yet.

Edit: OK here it comes :smile:

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Edited by OOISI (05/08/20 04:53 AM)

Offlinesilenticecream
Stranger
    #26661427 - 05/10/20 01:35 AM (25 days, 7 hours ago)

Found these little guys south of Adelaide a few days back. Pretty stoked as I am new to the area and have no mates down here to help with the search. Cute little guys.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: silenticecream]
    #26661483 - 05/10/20 02:23 AM (25 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

silenticecream said:

Found these little guys south of Adelaide a few days back. Pretty stoked as I am new to the area and have no mates down here to help with the search. Cute little guys.

Wow nice find, especially if you didnt know of the patch beforehand. Spotting three little pins like that at the start of the season is the work of a bona fide shroom hunter!

You say you have no mates to help, but isnt that a shoe at the top of the pic? :smile:

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Offlinesilenticecream
Stranger
    #26661637 - 05/10/20 05:17 AM (25 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

OOISI said:
Quote:

silenticecream said:

Wow nice find, especially if you didnt know of the patch beforehand. Spotting three little pins like that at the start of the season is the work of a bona fide shroom hunter!

You say you have no mates to help, but isnt that a shoe at the top of the pic? :smile:

Thank you, I've been on the hunt for a few years now, that and luck! as for the shoe, that's my 2 year olds shoe. I was so proud of him on this walk, he pointed to a slippery jack and said "Slippery Jack". So very proud. I feel obliged to mention that of course he wasn't shown what these mushrooms were haha.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: silenticecream]
    #26661644 - 05/10/20 05:21 AM (25 days, 3 hours ago)

Ok, fair enough.

Did you know about the patch beforehand or did you just find it today?

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineRazorback
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: bobwastaken] * 3
    #26661715 - 05/10/20 06:24 AM (25 days, 2 hours ago)

Found some beautiful specimens on my first ever day out looking to see what’s around  Park bike path in the NE Suburbs. No idea what they are, but they’re quite pretty... especially that strange one with the weird pattern on it.

Ps. Yes, it’s a dog’s chew ball... had me fooled for a minute or so!

Edited by Alan Rockefeller (05/12/20 02:10 AM)

Offlinesilenticecream
Stranger
    #26661805 - 05/10/20 07:39 AM (25 days, 1 hour ago)

Found it the other day, I had no idea about it. Stoked! I just followed my nose. It certainly added a little something to my walk in the forest. I'm very excited for this season!

OfflineLOMAC
Bruising Blue

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Razorback]
    #26665647 - 05/12/20 12:02 AM (23 days, 8 hours ago)

4th one down looks like active pins (Not an official I.D). Just try not to pick them too early. Give'm a chance to jizz out some spores first. Other than that enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

--------------------
:mushroom2:"There's no point crying into your beer. You'll only water it down":mushroom2:

Offlineunicornbabies
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: LOMAC] * 3
    #26665724 - 05/12/20 03:20 AM (23 days, 5 hours ago)

I went out hunting in the Hills today and made my first ever discovery of Psilocybe subaeruginosa. Happy days!! Check out how long some of them are!

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: unicornbabies]
    #26665750 - 05/12/20 04:13 AM (23 days, 4 hours ago)

Congratulations.:thumbup:
Beautiful specimens.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineBioluminescent
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: unicornbabies]
    #26665792 - 05/12/20 05:17 AM (23 days, 3 hours ago)

Nice work! North, Central or South?

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Bioluminescent]
    #26665833 - 05/12/20 06:14 AM (23 days, 2 hours ago)

cool dude! been hunting for 14 years and I still haven't found any this season. most of my old patches burnt down from the fires :frown:

Offlinejibbly1
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26665840 - 05/12/20 06:22 AM (23 days, 2 hours ago)

Nice finds in here. I'm thinking of venturing out later in the week. Is it worth hunting North at the moment?

OfflineOZ Guru
Master Shroomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: NSW, Aust.
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: jibbly1] * 1
    #26667602 - 05/12/20 09:57 PM (22 days, 10 hours ago)

:fonz:

--------------------
Carbon at its best...
H2O+N+C+Oxygen(Air) makes :mushroom2:

Check your post scores!Dosage Calculator.Trip lvl's*
The Mentor! Mr SpeedySon.

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OZ Guru] * 3
    #26667665 - 05/12/20 10:57 PM (22 days, 9 hours ago)

My middles popped.
:breakout:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineThe ThingS
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: OZ Guru]
    #26667737 - 05/13/20 12:11 AM (22 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

OZ Guru said:
:fonz:

:notsureif:

Where are these from mate? NSW or SA? I ask cos you've posted em in both threads, on the same day... NSW thread

Edited by The Thing (05/13/20 02:53 AM)

Offlinemicronerves
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: pineninja] * 4
    #26667745 - 05/13/20 12:13 AM (22 days, 8 hours ago)

Found this in the Hills near Cleland after two days of searching. My first find!

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: micronerves] * 4
    #26667793 - 05/13/20 01:05 AM (22 days, 7 hours ago)

Very nice finds all.:thumbup: Made the drive down south for a first look. Half the spots I checked are starting to wake up.:awesomenod:

Some Porcini from the central hills. Lots of fresh pins coming up in this spot. I recommend checking back on your find OOISI!

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26667871 - 05/13/20 02:36 AM (22 days, 6 hours ago)

Nice finds everyone!

Bob :justastonishing: Love those Porcini shots mate! Showed them to my mum and told her to pick her favourite so i can nominate it. She thinks the littl'uns are the most beautiful but she chose the shot which i think is the best too.

Quote:

bobwastaken said:
I recommend checking back on your find OOISI!

I definitely did, I found five pins on saturday in a fairly obscure spot, rushed down after work to collect them yesterday but someone already took them. I reckon they picked them small too, so probably Sunday.

The area i found them in is acutally a very popular Porcini spot as i found out, competetion is ferocious. On Saturday i went there and saw a group of three couples, one male and one faemale had large bags nicely packed with mushrooms. I heard a mother of that group say to a child "we have plenty of Porcini". Saw two other Porcini hunters there and one had no luck the second had a few old specimens. They might have been Boletus huronensis as well, False porcini. Cause i did see the first group leave some behind. My mum told me about huronensis just after my first find and i saw what looked like a large porcini left behind but staining blue.

Went to get a beer for the ride home at a brewery and told him i was shrooming. He said porcini or the "little blue ones". So it seems that Porcini hunting has become rather popular now.

My find was somewhat on the outskirts but people are combing the area now. I have work and want to check sub spots too, so ill be lucky to get anymore edulis. Actually dont think its going to be a very shroomy season at all for me, due to numerous factors. I will be trying though.

When all else fails, constancy in shroom hunting will eventually prevail!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineMycorrhizalNetwork
Stranger
    #26669228 - 05/13/20 07:17 PM (21 days, 13 hours ago)

No actives found yet (my first season). I did find a forest with hundreds and hundreds of both fly agaric and pine mushrooms though! Some were enormous!

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MycorrhizalNetwork]
    #26669406 - 05/13/20 08:34 PM (21 days, 12 hours ago)

This is a question for the eucalyptus lovers out there, as ive only found subs in pines and on trying for a eucalyptus find this season.

How much does the elevation/slope affect growth?

I understand that bottom of ridges, gullys and hills is where most of the water and moisture will collect. However if this is a hill/slope with the right circumstances and enough dead wood and braken fern, will they still be able ot fruit?

Couple habitat pics included of areas in question.

--------------------

Invisiblesausages
A subtle force of nature.
Male

Loc: Radelaide Flag
    #26669697 - 05/13/20 11:49 PM (21 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

frunco said:
This is a question for the eucalyptus lovers out there, as ive only found subs in pines and on trying for a eucalyptus find this season.

I understand that bottom of ridges, gullys and hills is where most of the water and moisture will collect. However if this is a hill/slope with the right circumstances and enough dead wood and braken fern, will they still be able ot fruit?

Yes! :thumbup: Particularly on south-facing hillsides you can find subs where the conditions are suitable.

--------------------
Anyone who hasn't got a field guide but wants one should check this out: Fungi In Australia

Keep things nice, Don't spread Phytophthora!

"We'll ride the spiral to the end, and may just go where no one's been"

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MycorrhizalNetwork]
    #26669790 - 05/14/20 01:21 AM (21 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

MycorrhizalNetwork said:

:fuckinawesome:

Offlinespiderpig652
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: NobodyYouKnow] * 3
    #26669928 - 05/14/20 03:27 AM (21 days, 5 hours ago)

Had some nice first finds today in the south! The shroom gods are finally upon us! There were also many fly agarics and lookalikes around the place. I fell waist-high into a blackberry bush so I got a bit scraped up heck. A good day overall though.

Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: sausages]
    #26669935 - 05/14/20 03:34 AM (21 days, 5 hours ago)

Quote:

sausages said:
Quote:

frunco said:

Yes! :thumbup: Particularly on south-facing hillsides you can find subs where the conditions are suitable.

Is that because there's less sunlight hitting the South-facing hillsides?

I seem to find a lot of big mushrooms on my travels!

Offlinecrella
Stranger
    #26670004 - 05/14/20 04:57 AM (21 days, 3 hours ago)

Hey everyone.

It's my first season this year, and I'm not exactly sure where to look. I live quite far north, so the most accessible places near me are the pine plantations around mount crawford. I've been out a few times over the past 2 weeks or so, but haven't had any luck finding actives (heaps of saffron milk caps and fly agarics though)

Just wondering if it's worth my time to keep looking there, or try heading further south.

Thanks.

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: crella]
    #26670011 - 05/14/20 05:07 AM (21 days, 3 hours ago)

Keep looking. I know plenty of spots in and around Crawford. It's patchy atm though. Give it another good rain to really kick off.

--------------------

OfflineNatesa
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MycorrhizalNetwork] * 3
    #26670027 - 05/14/20 05:25 AM (21 days, 3 hours ago)

Finally found a few last weekend in a place scoped out from topo and sat maps. Only one poking it's head out I had to dig to see others. Today on the other hand, a dozen or so just beaming back at me nearby an old favourite spot that still isn't producing yet. Left the small ones to see how much they've grown by Saturday if they're even still there..

A few interesting inactives to start..

And the gold at the end of the rainbow...

It just goes to show how different they can look, and only meters apart. Some are well hidden and others almost glow. Just wait until the big wavy ones start showing up..

OfflineSillybilly87
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Natesa]
    #26671654 - 05/14/20 11:34 PM (20 days, 9 hours ago)

Hey guys! First time hunting this year and I’ve done heaps of reading and hoping to find a few specimens this year! I’ve been out a few times already but no luck. I think I’ve found a really nice spot that I think would be a great spot! Found loads of inactives but still looking for those holy golden tops. I’ve got some cool photos of some inactives I’ve found but also found some that looked very similar to subs. I was wondering if someone could tell me what they are. I have a large feeling they’re definitely not actives. They ONLY grew on rotten wood, never anywhere else. They also didn’t bruise.
This is also my first time sharing pics so hopefully these photos work.

Edited by Sillybilly87 (05/14/20 11:38 PM)

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26672011 - 05/15/20 06:06 AM (20 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:

Whilst loitering on the Shroomery, ive often come back to stare at this pic. Gorgeous shot!

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineParti
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26673333 - 05/15/20 06:44 PM (19 days, 14 hours ago)

http://

The little Forrest down south near me is just starting to wake up this morning. Just a matter of time and I think it could be a good year. Cheers

Invisiblesausages
Male

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Sillybilly87] * 1
    #26673558 - 05/15/20 08:29 PM (19 days, 12 hours ago)

Welcome sillybilly, good luck with your first year, hope you're enjoying getting out and looking, it'll be worth the effort!  Your photos work just fine, they're not active. Feel free to start a thread if you want mushroom identifications. The shroomery is one of the best places to ask, just not in this thread.

Nice pics Natesa, apparently the white jelly is a delicacy. Also a weird one as it's actually a yeast parasitic to other fungi. I've only seen it once, can't wait to see if it's popped up in the same location again this year. Might even give it a taste test.

Foraging seems more popular than ever, a lot of people I've talked to are in their first year of mushroom picking, and I'm starting to miss the solitude that picking used to offer in some of my most convenient spots for edibles, but I'm happy that people are finding a wholesome outdoors activity to enjoy in this somewhat shitty year.

Offlinebriannafairy
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: sausages]
    #26673782 - 05/15/20 10:54 PM (19 days, 9 hours ago)

I think the increased foragers... me included may be due to much more people having a lot more spare time on their hands! I myself have loved going out where I would usually go with my dogs, finding new spots, no luck with any actives yet but I have hope and a very valuable resource - this group! happy hunting!!!

OfflineThe ThingS
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: briannafairy] * 1
    #26674049 - 05/16/20 03:16 AM (19 days, 5 hours ago)

Finds in the pines

I'm tiny and grow on poo

We're pin pals

Offlinemistamadd001
Stranger
    #26674150 - 05/16/20 04:54 AM (19 days, 3 hours ago)

Hey all,

First year hunting, the Mrs and I use it as a way to exercise as well as foraging for edibles, been finding lots of Saffies and Slippery-jacks, and lots of Galerina Marginata. No luck with anything active yet AFAIK. Biggest issue is being sure, I'm guessing its obvious when you find them?

Hoping to get out earlier with better conditions, would love to have a guide one of these days but I'm realising that people are VERY protective of their spots :P.

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: mistamadd001]
    #26674156 - 05/16/20 04:57 AM (19 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

mistamadd001 said:
Hoping to get out earlier with better conditions, would love to have a guide one of these days but I'm realising that people are VERY protective of their spots :P.

I have a guide. It doesnt reveal locations though, no people shouldnt do that.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26552041

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Offlineyisitraining
Stranger
    #26675468 - 05/16/20 06:36 PM (18 days, 14 hours ago)

Hey guys,

Is the south starting up yet? Or do you guys reckon I should head down there after next week's rains?

Visited some pine forests at the end of April and didn't find any actives but plenty of edibles, spot from last year had nothing

cheers

Offlinefrunco
Adventurer
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: yisitraining] * 1
    #26676044 - 05/17/20 01:27 AM (18 days, 7 hours ago)

Looks like my south spots are starting to wake up, plenty of pins around.

Also my first eucalyptus finds which is a bonus :smile:

--------------------

OfflineinSUBordinate
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: yisitraining]
    #26676049 - 05/17/20 01:35 AM (18 days, 7 hours ago)

South spots up and going already :smile: worth the drive!

Found some trash around my usual spot, please dont leave cans and bottles around the place :'(

I think this will be a very good season, so cold and wet so early on!

Regular picker, first time poster.. loving the snaps everyone!

InvisibleToMP
Awesome Wanker
Male

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: inSUBordinate]
    #26676070 - 05/17/20 02:03 AM (18 days, 6 hours ago)

Hello thread :smile:

OfflineItakeptus
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: ToMP]
    #26676077 - 05/17/20 02:10 AM (18 days, 6 hours ago)

I found a good few Laughing Gyms today.

Has anyone here ate them before? are they active? are they ok to eat?

OfflineChillinit
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Itakeptus]
    #26676249 - 05/17/20 04:59 AM (18 days, 3 hours ago)

I've had a few good picks this season already. Thanks to the last few years following this forum, learning the ropes and putting in some solid leg work . Some pics from last couple wks.

Offlineyisitraining
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Chillinit]
    #26676285 - 05/17/20 05:35 AM (18 days, 3 hours ago)

hey guys

Ended up going to the central hills instead of the south - sadly no actives but was slightly distracted by finding porcini for the first time :grin:

Can't wait for the rains next week!!

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: yisitraining] * 4
    #26678096 - 05/18/20 02:58 AM (17 days, 5 hours ago)

Congrats on the porcini. There's plenty of subs about in the central hills from a few spots I checked.

A couple finds of subs and G.purpuratus today

Invisiblesausages
Male

#26678482 - 05/18/20 08:54 AM (16 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

bobwastaken said:

Love a good multispecies shot :handth:

--------------------
Anyone who hasn't got a field guide but wants one should check this out: Fungi In Australia

Keep things nice, Don't spread Phytophthora!

"We'll ride the spiral to the end, and may just go where no one's been"

OfflineBioluminescent
 User Gallery

#26679402 - 05/18/20 05:21 PM (16 days, 15 hours ago)

Nice one Bob, yeah I got about 50 yesterday.

OfflineClimbingvines85
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Bioluminescent]
    #26679785 - 05/18/20 08:25 PM (16 days, 12 hours ago)

Hey all, not looking for exact locations, but I'm not an adelaide native. When people say southern hills, are we talking the Kuitpo area or further south? Thanks

OfflineNobodyYouKnowS
Someone else
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Climbingvines85]
    #26680171 - 05/19/20 02:20 AM (16 days, 6 hours ago)

Depends where you are and who you talk to. To me southern hills would be anywhere south of the freeway down, but to somebody else they might take it from Meadows down, another person might say something else. We have a lot of massive areas to hunt in so wherever you pick has a good chance of being the right spot, we are very lucky and we can go find our 'own' little patches.

OfflineCaramelbingbong
ShiaLabeouf

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Itakeptus]
    #26680176 - 05/19/20 02:24 AM (16 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

Itakeptus said:

laughing gyms (gymnopilus junious) aren't actually active. found this out from a recent fb post from Alan Rockefeller, where he talks about a new study:

"A new paper just came out on the Gymnopilus junonius group in North America, focusing on the northeastern species. It's very good, and goes a long way towards answering several pressing questions that have been open for a long time. It's conclusions are supported by high quality microscopy and ITS+LSU DNA sequences.

One striking finding is that Gymnopilus junonius does not occur in North America, and is not psychoactive. It occurs in Europe, Australia and South America, solving the mystery of why European big laughing gyms consistently fail to cause laughter."

turns out all those active 'laughing gyms' (gymnopilus junious) americans were eating weren't actually laughing gyms, they were two other species that are very hard to distinguish macroscopically.

EDIT: 'gyms' has been corrected to laughing gyms (gymnopilus junious)

--------------------
My first grow summary

Edited by Caramelbingbong (05/19/20 02:32 AM)

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Caramelbingbong]
    #26680182 - 05/19/20 02:27 AM (16 days, 6 hours ago)

There are active Gymnopilus, its just that junonius isnt active, which is common in Aus/NZ. bobwastaken posted Gymnopilus purpuratus which is active a few posts back.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineCaramelbingbong
ShiaLabeouf

#26680185 - 05/19/20 02:29 AM (16 days, 6 hours ago)

Yeah, meant to say laughing gyms specifically, sorry wasn't clear

--------------------
My first grow summary

OfflineCaramelbingbong
ShiaLabeouf

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Caramelbingbong] * 1
    #26680236 - 05/19/20 03:31 AM (16 days, 5 hours ago)

Went out this weekend to a new spot and found my first subs of the season! all be it a bit old, wish I had went earlier.

Also found what I believe is maybe my first alutacea. they could be Protostropharia semiglobata as pointed out on my id request, will have to report back with fresher specimens.

Got our fair share of porcini at a super well known spot as well, pleanty to go round

Also went down south and didn't find any actives in my regular spots but a few interesting other species and an obligitory pretty muscaria pic

Tricholomopsis rutilans (Plums and custard)

Austropaxillus muelleri/infundibuliformis

--------------------
My first grow summary

OfflineMusicwalkingnature
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Caramelbingbong] * 1
    #26680266 - 05/19/20 04:04 AM (16 days, 4 hours ago)

One of the bigger ones I've come across

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Musicwalkingnature] * 1
    #26680298 - 05/19/20 04:36 AM (16 days, 4 hours ago)

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Musicwalkingnature]
    #26680321 - 05/19/20 04:57 AM (16 days, 3 hours ago)

OfflineClimbingvines85
Stranger
    #26680339 - 05/19/20 05:08 AM (16 days, 3 hours ago)

Thanks mate, that helps a lot. I'll keep scouring the spots I have been. It's been great to just get out and explore. Hoping I'll find gold soon. We have a couple of nights of ideal weather now too.

OfflineVecAndSally
Fumungus
Male

Loc: Adelaide, SA Flag
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Itakeptus] * 2
    #26680375 - 05/19/20 05:29 AM (16 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Itakeptus said:

It's a good question, Itake. A few years ago, I simmered some fresh young specimens for half hour or so, strained and drank as a tea with honey. Provided a mild euphoric and relaxing high. Bit of a body stoned feeling, but it was some time ago now and I can't really remember. I was writing for uni at the time and I was able to keep working. Didn't impact cognition negatively.

Howdy to the rest o' yall and happy hunting 2020.

--------------------

WANTED

Julian Assange

FOR PEDDLING PORNOGRAPHY OF NAKED EMPERORS BANGING THE ABSOLUTE HELL OUT OF LADY JUSTICE

OfflineJackoAldiAdl
Stranger
Male
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: VecAndSally]
    #26682284 - 05/20/20 12:29 AM (15 days, 8 hours ago)

Got out for a hunt the other day at a south spot. Tried last year for nothing active but found my first sub finally! One of the blokes at work was saying gills are to light for an active but she went blue and looks the goods so pretty certain??

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: JackoAldiAdl]
    #26682290 - 05/20/20 12:32 AM (15 days, 8 hours ago)

The gills can be light like that, usually means its sterile (wont drop spores). Nice find.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: JackoAldiAdl]
    #26682546 - 05/20/20 04:43 AM (15 days, 4 hours ago)

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Musicwalkingnature]
    #26683549 - 05/20/20 03:04 PM (14 days, 17 hours ago)

yes agreed with OOISI - that's a sub

looks like I need to go further south. Not getting nothing up north :frown:

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

#26683666 - 05/20/20 04:11 PM (14 days, 16 hours ago)

All the conditions seem right now for a widespread pinning.

Few more days and they'll be poking through me thinks.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineClimbingvines85
Stranger
    #26684660 - 05/21/20 12:38 AM (14 days, 8 hours ago)

Some of my finds from last weekend. I can't seem to upload them directly here, but enjoy

Mushroom hunting https://imgur.com/gallery/9p2T3Xv

Offlinemacky1
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Climbingvines85] * 1
    #26684750 - 05/21/20 02:40 AM (14 days, 6 hours ago)

Second forage of the season and already found a new spot!

OfflineJackoAldiAdl
Stranger
Male
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: macky1]
    #26684858 - 05/21/20 05:14 AM (14 days, 3 hours ago)

Wait not all of those are actives are they climbingvines? Esp the last 3. They look like Gallerina autumnalis. My adventure today came up empty for actives. Got some nice Milkys tho. Question. Are the lighter ones a sub species? Or is it just due to the different terrain changes them? Haven't done much of this so still learning

OfflineShpongleland
Stranger
    #26686701 - 05/21/20 09:35 PM (13 days, 11 hours ago)

Had a successful hills hunt today, few subs around.

Also found a patch of these magical looking ones - gyms maybe? Either way thought worth a share!

OfflineMcJonnerz
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Shpongleland]
    #26686852 - 05/21/20 11:05 PM (13 days, 9 hours ago)

Been growing cubes with varying success forthe last 6 months or so. Looking forward to get out hunting in the next few days for my first season.
Kind of restrained to bus routes but have a few places I want to try. Here's hoping!

Offlineunicornbabies
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Shpongleland]
    #26686865 - 05/21/20 11:11 PM (13 days, 9 hours ago)

Had a really nice day out hunting yesterday and found a few nice subs. Saw lots of cute little guys too.

Am i correct in thinking this is Laccaria?

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

#26687414 - 05/22/20 06:47 AM (13 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

unicornbabies said:
Am i correct in thinking this is Laccaria?

Yes. Probably Laccaria laccata.

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

OfflineBundles12
Stranger
    #26689179 - 05/22/20 09:13 PM (12 days, 11 hours ago)

Hi guys this is my first season going hunting and I am looking for a bit of guidance as I don’t know anyone else who goes mushroom picking. I am just wondering if anybody has any luck out Kuitpo way or if that area is way to popular and been overpicked I’m not looking for locations but I have been out 3 times for hours in what I believe are optimum conditions and have had no luck, I’m pretty confident I can tell the difference between the lookalikes and the real thing. I understand it’s not meant to be easy but I am just looking for a bit of reassurance that I’m not wasting my time looking in the wrong spots as it is getting a bit discouraging. I enjoy getting out into nature and I love the hills and I enjoy hunting for the elusive psilocybe subaeruginosa it feels like searching for gold hahaha, any help would be appreciated:thumbup:

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: Bundles12]
    #26689210 - 05/22/20 09:25 PM (12 days, 11 hours ago)

Keep at it mate. There's more than enough in that general area to go around.

--------------------

OfflineMetatronThought
Stranger
    #26689252 - 05/22/20 09:45 PM (12 days, 11 hours ago)

Had a look around this morning and saw heaps of really cool stuff.

I saw 1 little sub right before I gave up.

Does that mean if i come back here in a week is there going to be more around?

Cheers guys

Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MetatronThought]
    #26689601 - 05/23/20 03:27 AM (12 days, 5 hours ago)

Following on from MetatronThought's question, I have one myself that doesn't seem to be covered in the popular guides on here. If you find a nice flush of subs in a small area, they are probably all just fruiting bodies from the one fungal organism growing underground right? If that's the case, is that same fungus likely to pop up more mushrooms later in the season? Or is it more likely to only do so once per season?

Be keen to hear people's thoughts/experiences or referred to some good information on this, cheers!

OfflineOOISI
Suburbanaut

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MycorrhizalNetwork] * 2
    #26689645 - 05/23/20 04:15 AM (12 days, 4 hours ago)

Man im having trouble finding anything. Did find something which was nice. Need to make a more rigorous itinerary i think. Found a really nice potential sub habitat but it was empty other than a few inactives. It wasnt an obvious area as well. It had eucalypts with bracken and grasses in a valley depression. :facepalm:

Actives:

Edibles:

--------------------
Subaeruginosa Guide

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

#26689652 - 05/23/20 04:30 AM (12 days, 4 hours ago)

The first flush us usually the smallest. You will get multiple flushes throughout the season, and the frequency and volume is based on how suitable the conditions are.

--------------------

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MetatronThought] * 3
    #26689659 - 05/23/20 04:42 AM (12 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

MetatronThought said:
Had a look around this morning and saw heaps of really cool stuff.

I saw 1 little sub right before I gave up.

Cheers guys

Quote:

MycorrhizalNetwork said:
Following on from MetatronThought's question, I have one myself that doesn't seem to be covered in the popular guides on here. If you find a nice flush of subs in a small area, they are probably all just fruiting bodies from the one fungal organism growing underground right? If that's the case, is that same fungus likely to pop up more mushrooms later in the season? Or is it more likely to only do so once per season?

Be keen to hear people's thoughts/experiences or referred to some good information on this, cheers!

No not necessarily. There may be incompatible strains alongside one another and separate colonies in a patch. There's no practical way to know. There can be fast, average or slow fruiting strains and some will produce many mushrooms while others do poorly.

What may appear to be a second flush could just as well be a first flush from any number of strains close by. Then we have to consider nutrition. If there is abundant food available and conditions have been favorable in the off season (long wet spring,autumn) the mycelium may produce multiple large flushes. Typically the first flushes produce the most mushrooms depending on conditions. Subsequent flushes are less prolific but specimens are often larger and late season fruits can often be enormous in size.

Some spots will produce 5 or 6 flushes during the season while others may throw a single flush and call it quits. If there are no visible pins you're depending on the development of primordia which will take a couple weeks to mature. That isn't to say there won't be another flush in a month.

Invisiblebrk
Unless...
Male User Gallery

#26689694 - 05/23/20 05:31 AM (12 days, 3 hours ago)

I'm curious about why you think the first flush is the biggest. I watch the patches on my place pretty closely, and they usually shit out a small number first up (sometimes only one or two) and then follow up with a decent flush.

--------------------

OfflineFunkyDung
Fat Old ☀️
Male

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: ToMP]
    #26689837 - 05/23/20 07:09 AM (12 days, 1 hour ago)

Tomp 😄
Long time mate 🤗

InvisiblebobwastakenS
durch blutet
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: FunkyDung] * 1
    #26689965 - 05/23/20 08:36 AM (12 days, 10 minutes ago)

Not necessarily, depending on conditions among other variables. Yes I know of patches which behave the same way especially those which fruit earlier in the season while conditions are less than ideal. Any part of the mycelial network which is not fully hydrated is essentially dormant.
I find those patches which are slow to fruit starting in June/July or as the season approaches its peak often have spectacular first and second flushes before tapering taper off in subsequent flushes.

OfflineBundles12
Stranger
    #26691223 - 05/23/20 08:46 PM (11 days, 12 hours ago)

Glad I kept at it after having no luck I tried a different spot and finally found my first actives! Didn’t get a photo before I picked them as I was too excited :laugh: Do you more experienced guys think we are still pretty early in the season or are we getting towards the peak now? Cheers!

http://

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: MetatronThought] * 2
    #26691306 - 05/23/20 09:49 PM (11 days, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

MetatronThought said:

Not necessarily. They can grow solitary but definitely give the whole area a good check because where theres one you know there will be more

Went out yesterday - south but still in the hills, didn't go to the peninsula. Checked a spot Ive known for years and found one only. Then we checked a different spot but in the same area and success!

Found just enough for me and the gf to have a fun night last night. We dont take enough for a pyschadelic experience just enough to get visuals, laughing, dancing, body stone, etc. Way more fun then having a full on psychadelic trip. that last photo wasnt the total haul just one cluster. We found about 3 clusters and had 10g each fresh in a tea. Comes on so quick I'm used to having them dry but fresh they are way more potent.

Edited by tryptonite (05/23/20 10:04 PM)

OfflineParti
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: tryptonite] * 3
    #26691529 - 05/24/20 12:54 AM (11 days, 7 hours ago)

http://http://http:// tried a new spot today with some good success. The best thing was that I saw heaps of pins coming up. For every one I picked today there was multiple pins.

OfflineMcJonnerz
Stranger
    #26691544 - 05/24/20 01:11 AM (11 days, 7 hours ago)

Is there any sort of distance from the CBD  that's thought you need to go? First time hunter and have been sussing some "easy" accessed areas in the foothills both north n south and trying to take In the type of area/foliage and water sources... but not sure if I'm wasting my time

Edited by McJonnerz (05/24/20 01:14 AM)

OfflineAsanaLionS
Scallywag

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: McJonnerz] * 4
    #26692151 - 05/24/20 08:57 AM (10 days, 23 hours ago)

So glad the season is in full swing! It truly feels like coming home every time the season begins. My soul is forever grateful for the forests.

Recently I took a whole week completely alone, camping by the coast. Spent my last two days in the forest. Its been very interesting to note the impact of my mindfulness practice on my experience of being in the forest. For example while inside the forest these last two days I've seen 3 different families of deer, come within metres of roos and at one point literally got myself on top of a rabbit warren from which 3 anxious bunnies darted. These were all firsts. For having picked in this forest for almost 5 years, I never noticed how much life was around me there before, I have never been so quiet and simply aware when I'm picking and adventuring as I am now. It truly brings the brilliant art of nature to the foreground of my experience.

Anyway, I would love to share my pictures here since its nice to share with like minds and hearts.

The muscaria with my hand for size reference was quite impressive, as my hands aren't small. And the two largest of those gyms were even bigger still than that in diameter, I wish the photo gave a better sense of their size. Definitely the biggest I've ever seen. There is certainly some remarkable mycological activity happening in response to the weather. By the way, the photo including my shoe contains 4 subs if you can spot em all.

Happy hunting family!❤️

--------------------
Define me as a spirited harmony, sung out by a pirate band of atoms,
stirred up in a dance of gravity and abandon,
and dropped into the minds eye of velvet skies

Edited by AsanaLion (05/24/20 09:11 AM)

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: AsanaLion]
    #26693152 - 05/24/20 05:11 PM (10 days, 15 hours ago)

It's amazing the thing we can see and hear when we focus our senses and shut up for a while.

Great shots.:leocheers:

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

Invisiblepineninja
Dream Weaver
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: McJonnerz] * 1
    #26693163 - 05/24/20 05:15 PM (10 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

McJonnerz said:
Is there any sort of distance from the CBD  that's thought you need to go? First time hunter and have been sussing some "easy" accessed areas in the foothills both north n south and trying to take In the type of area/foliage and water sources... but not sure if I'm wasting my time

It's only a waste of time if you don't enjoy getting out and seeing the things that the above post stated.

The more time you spend out there the more in tune you become the more in tune you become the more you will find.

The less dense and sparsely populated areas I would expect to be more diverse and hold more options.

--------------------
Just a fool on the hill.

OfflineHunterSMushroom
Stranger
Loc: Adelaide
    #26693340 - 05/24/20 06:16 PM (10 days, 14 hours ago)

First finds and attempt to upload photos :smile: Well known location central Adelaide Hills.

Offlinestjimi
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: HunterSMushroom] * 2
    #26693790 - 05/24/20 09:20 PM (10 days, 11 hours ago)

Hi all,

I just realized that I started looking at these threads nearly 10 years ago.

I was a clueless forager trying desperately to find my first one. Over 10 years, these amazing friends have gone from an experience I was keen to have to a medicine that has brought real and lasting healing.

If you are new to this, keep searching. You will eventually find 'your spot' and with responsible use, it will be life-changing.

Quick question to the hive mind. Is it too early to start looking in the northern hills? North of Marble hill?

OfflineBundles12
Stranger
Re: Official South Australia Actives Season 2020 ☆NO ID REQUESTS☆ [Re: stjimi]
    #26693795 - 05/24/20 09:25 PM (10 days, 11 hours ago)