Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Injection Ports, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetoadsmack
Stranger

Noob with a few specific questions
    #26531253 - 03/12/20 05:19 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Hey guys, appreciate any help you can give me, I'll try to keep it brief. Never attempted mycology before but finally giving it a try and grow some portobello mushrooms, mmm!

Researched briefly with various inoculation/sanitation/incubation videos on youtube.
Learned the general idea of inoculating the spores into the substrate and colonizing mycelium within jars before moving the "cakes" to a fruiting chamber.

I'm too lazy to make my own jars so I did a little googling and landed on "Midwest Grow Kits". Bought the ultimate kit. They provide some good videos and printed out guide on the entire process which is cool. But there were just a few things that were not mentioned in the guide I would like to ask you guys -

They recommend the oven inoculation first and foremost.. but if you have an oven with a front facing exhaust at the bottom that is fanning air out.. it's probably a no go, right? So still box is the way to go?

And with the still air box, do you spray it with lysol/disinfectant within the closed box once everything, including the jars, are in the SAB?

Can the alcohol/lysol "contam" the jars?

Do you alcohol wipe the jars down?

Do you remove the tin foil and wipe under it?

And as for the needle.. do you light it until it's red everytime or just the first time?

How far up the needle do you need to light until it's red?

Do you alcohol wipe the needle before or after flaming it?

And is the black "soot" that the lighter leaves behind on the needle going to contaminate the jars?

Also one weird probably dumb question.. I bought a pair of arm length gloves to make my SAB/Glove Box with... but the gloves came with the Cali Cancer warning.. but this one was different. Saying the product could put you in contact with "carbon black". Lol, think the carbon black could fuck up the process?

Thanks guys, any other tips you might have would be appreciated!

Edited by toadsmack (03/12/20 05:25 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

Loc: The pharcyde Flag
Re: Noob with a few specific questions [Re: toadsmack]
    #26531335 - 03/12/20 06:05 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

toadsmack said:
Hey guys, appreciate any help you can give me, I'll try to keep it brief. Never attempted mycology before but finally giving it a try and grow some portobello mushrooms, mmm!

Researched briefly with various inoculation/sanitation/incubation videos on youtube.
Learned the general idea of inoculating the spores into the substrate and colonizing mycelium within jars before moving the "cakes" to a fruiting chamber.

I'm too lazy to make my own jars so I did a little googling and landed on "Midwest Grow Kits". Bought the ultimate kit. They provide some good videos and printed out guide on the entire process which is cool. But there were just a few things that were not mentioned in the guide I would like to ask you guys -

They recommend the oven inoculation first and foremost.. but if you have an oven with a front facing exhaust at the bottom that is fanning air out.. it's probably a no go, right? So still box is the way to go?

And with the still air box, do you spray it with lysol/disinfectant within the closed box once everything, including the jars, are in the SAB?

Can the alcohol/lysol "contam" the jars?

Do you alcohol wipe the jars down?

Do you remove the tin foil and wipe under it?

And as for the needle.. do you light it until it's red everytime or just the first time?

How far up the needle do you need to light until it's red?

Do you alcohol wipe the needle before or after flaming it?

And is the black "soot" that the lighter leaves behind on the needle going to contaminate the jars?

Also one weird probably dumb question.. I bought a pair of arm length gloves to make my SAB/Glove Box with... but the gloves came with the Cali Cancer warning.. but this one was different. Saying the product could put you in contact with "carbon black". Lol, think the carbon black could fuck up the process?

Thanks guys, any other tips you might have would be appreciated!

Fuck the oven inoculations use a Still air box.

After you pressure cook your jars put them directly in your cleaned still air box, spray some Lysol and let it sit  The important thing to understand is that its a STILL air box, its dirty in there but contaminates aren't falling down on stuff. bod explains how and why here.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/23990888#23990888

The tin foil is on the jars to prevent water from entering while pressure cooking, you remove it in your Sab after the air has settled.

Flame the needle before every jar, no need to do it between every hole in the jar.

Get the front 2/3 of the needle red hot. The main concern here is to not melt the needle off. Shooting out a few drops will cool the needle before inoculating the jar. (PRO TIP) If your needle gets clogged from the verm barrier and you cannot push it out, Draw in air while keeping the tip in the fire to draw in clean air. ( not the best idea but a good last resort)

after you flame the needle it is sterilized, no need to wipe it after. you can wipe the syringe body with alcohol before if you want.

The black soot is not going to do anything bad.

I wouldn't use a glove box use the SAB design with regular doctor gloves. How do you flame the needle with a sealed box?

To answer the carbon black gloves thing. the gloves should never come in contact OR HOVER ABOVE anything that could contaminate.

I hope i wrote that well enough to help you out.

--------------------

Whatt

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

#26531339 - 03/12/20 06:07 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

IF there is anything else you are unsure about ill do my best to answer or point you in the right direction

--------------------

Whatt

InvisibleShr00mEater
Strange
Male
Re: Noob with a few specific questions [Re: Kyngwhatt]
    #26531408 - 03/12/20 07:01 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Welcome to The Shroomery!

If you have not checked the rules page stickied at the top of Getting Started forum, it helps a lot for navigating and understanding  the forum.

Getting started rules sticky

Offlinetoadsmack
Stranger

#26531477 - 03/12/20 08:07 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

thanks, had one other question about temperature in the incubator.

When I have the digital thermostat on the floor of the tub, it reads at around 78-80.

but if I put the thermostat on top of the jars, it goes down to about 72. What should I be aiming for?

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

#26531506 - 03/12/20 08:28 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

I keep my incubator at 76 but check this out
https://mycology.fandom.com/wiki/Incubation

--------------------

Whatt

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

#26531521 - 03/12/20 08:36 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

are you going to get another set of jars going after you birth those?

--------------------

Whatt

Offlinetoadsmack
Stranger

#26531553 - 03/12/20 08:50 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

i know it should be at around 76-80. but i'm saying that the digital thermostat reads 80 when directly on the warm floor of the tub and 72 when it's raised slightly off the floor.. that's a fluctuation of 8 degrees based on whether it's on the floor of the tub or 4 inches higher.

so being that the jars are directly on the bottom of the tub, should I go by the thermostat reading directly on the bottom of the tub? i still feel like the top half of the jars might be too cold though..

ahhh edit * nvm after reading that whole link it seems like so long as the ambient temp is 70 i'm good, thanks

Edited by toadsmack (03/13/20 04:22 PM)

OfflineKyngwhatt
presbyter
Other

#26532070 - 03/13/20 06:10 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Yeah you got it.
There is a huge temperature gradient in my incubator the bottom is high 80's i have a spacer and then my grain and agar is in the 70's anywhere in there is fine.

--------------------

Whatt

Offlinetoadsmack
Stranger

#26532845 - 03/13/20 04:21 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Kyngwhatt said:
are you going to get another set of jars going after you birth those?

hey ya, built another tub in tub incubator and was planning on ordering some more jars and spores because I'm not holding my breath for many of the first jars making it through contam free (I took the proper precautions, just a pessimist).

So I figured I'd inoculate and try colonizing another set of jars in case none of the first jars make it. If I'm too lazy, don't have the right set up to make my own jars- do you think Mid West Grow Kits make decent jars? Was thinking of ordering another 12 of their 1/2 jars and maybe 3 of their large/injection port jars. Is there a better site to order from? Thanks for the tips.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Injection Ports, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started