Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]
Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: Enlil] * 3
    #26519593 - 03/05/20 08:51 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Yes, I mean the injunction.  And yes, an injunction applies regardless of the title.  That is the very reason for an injunction.  An injunction forces or prohibits conduct that a person or entity would normally have no obligation to do or refrain from doing.  Title, without an injunction, would give the titleholder the power to stop the construction.  The injunction changes that.

Legality doesn't dictate morality. A court injunction that allows the RCMP to forcibly remove indigenous peoples from their land is unambiguously an immoral act. Its a violation of basic human rights - including article 10 of the UNDRIP ("Indigenous peoples shall not be forcibly removed from their lands or
territories."). The Wet’suwet’en have not lost in the courts - the Canadian State merely chooses to ignore any judgment in favour of indigenous rights and title.

So if your defence here is that a court injunction supersedes human rights, your defence is that of "rule of law" and is not very different from the defence of "just following orders".

Quote:

Only political pressure is likely to change things at this point.  This is, ultimately, what they are doing with these blockades.  If it is true that 40% of the population support the blockades, that is a huge political force that could be wielded to get what they want.  Yes, it might be harder to do it without victimizing people, but that 40% could be reached through many different avenues including media, grassroots efforts, etc.  Would it take longer?  Probably.  Would it cost some money?  Probably.  Would it be harder?  ABSOLUTELY!

But sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same.

All of those things you suggest have been happening for decades. Do you still think these blockades were the first thing that's been tried? Indigenous people know what happens when they directly confront the State -  the full violence of the police and military is brought down on them. We didn't choose to escalate.

This situation was pushed into crisis mode when the BC government sent the RCMP onto Wet'suwet'en land to provide security for CGL construction activities. At this point, the Wet'suwet'en don't have any more time to wait - irreparable harm is happening every day CGL is able to continue their activities on Wet'suwet'en territory.

The reason that the Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs were able to gain the support of 40% of Canadians - from coast to coast - is because of the decades of grassroot organizing, development of independent media networks, and consistent fundraising efforts.

But how much longer can you wait when the land you make your home on - that forms the basis of your community and culture - is being destroyed? That's why this campaign progressed to a more militant stage - the Canadian government is proving itself unwilling to address this issue and forcing a confrontation.

The fact you can so confidently share your opinion on a situation that you clearly have only the most shallow understanding of is... unsurprising but still disappointing.

Quote:

You're going to need more than some general claim about the applicability of native law in contravention of federal law.  While you may be right, I doubt it.  Unless you can somehow prove that territorial jurisdiction of the natives supercedes the statutory right-of-way held by the rail companies, you're just making some philosophical argument.  Expansion by conquest is still expansion, whether or not it's fair or right.

Under Canadian law, the Crown had to have a signed treaty that dictated the terms of land transfer before the State could legally own Indigenous land. Land taken without treaty is considered stolen land by Canadian law.

This issue has been allowed to fester for decades because Canada stands to lose out on most of the benefits of colonialism in the process, but just because our government chooses to ignore it (leading to situations like the one we currently find ourself in with the Wet'suwet'en) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The reason I only provided a specific land claim here is because I've already provided multiple links that discuss the complex nature of Indigenous land title in Canada. I thought you had been making an effort to inform yourself of some background context before continuing to share your opinion.

Take a read of the United Nations Declaration of the Rights Indigenous Peoples to understand that Indigenous land title most definitely supersedes the rights-of-way held by a rail company.

And yes, I'm aware it's a non-binding framework and Canada isn't even a signatory - but the BC government adopted it into provincial legislation last November, if you want a clear example of how little the Canadian government cares about rule of law when it stands to benefit indigenous land title at the expense of resource extraction.

To be honest, I'm growing uncomfortable with discussing the real injustice Indigenous peoples face in this abstract way. It would be like discussing the philosophical merits of ghetto uprisings while people are outside fighting and suffering.

I imagine it may be easier for you, because judging by what strikes me as your almost complete ignorance of the issue this isn't something that personally effects you. Well it effects me personally - and only vicariously through seeing how it effects my Indigenous friends and family. It's not an abstract philosophical dilemma - it's real.

I feel I've left all the necessary information and sources if you truly want to educate yourself - but if you're just bored and looking for a place to argue this isn't it. I'll make another thread where we can approach the issue of justice and morality through a fictional situation - because the suffering of real humans shouldn't be your diversion.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #26520336 - 03/06/20 10:00 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:
I follow your reasoning up to this point, but I think you begin to create an impossible standard here. Are you suggesting that an act must be free of undesirable results in order to be just? Because I don't believe any act could make that claim. Take for example homicide in self-defence - even if this act is completely justified as a proportional response to a physical threat, it has the undesirable result of punishing the family, especially any dependents, of the person killed through no fault of their own. Would you conclude that this undesirable result makes such an act unjust; why or why not?

An act can be just and still have an undesirable effect.  I never meant to suggest otherwise.  What I was saying was that for purposes of the phrase, "the ends never justify the means," we need not consider any act that does not have undesirable effects since those acts are already just without any need for justification.

Any act without undesirable effects is just.  Not every just act is one without undesirable effects, however.

Quote:

Why do you phrase this situation as "blockading passenger and freight trains" but when referring to your concentration camp example you allow it the benefit of context, "blockading the transport of jews to a death camp"? This seems like an unfair double standard. Without context, blockading the transport of Jews to a death camp just becomes "blockading passenger and freight trains".

Because one is more specific than the other.  The specific act of blockading the transport of Jews to a death camp certainly is included in the more general act of blockading passenger and freight trains.  Similarly, killing in self-defense is a specific act that is also within the more general act of killing human beings. 

We cannot say that killing human beings is inherently just.  We cannot say that blockading passenger and freight trains is inherently just.  Why?  Because these acts, if universalized, would make the world a much worse place for humans.

Specific subsets of these general categories, however, can be just.  This is why I'm using the specific subset of transporting jews to death camps.

Quote:

So an antisemitic group that blockades the transport of Jews to a death camp so that they can personally torture and kill the occupants would be justified in this act? That doesn't seem like a reasonable system of morality.

The blockading isn't the immoral part of that hypothetical, is it?  We can certainly separate the moral act of stopping someone from killing jews from the immoral act of killing those same jews oneself.
Quote:

Secondly, you appear to be giving this example the benefit of existing in isolation, while making a significant effort to connect the indigenous-led blockades to every peripheral effect that you can. Do you think that blockading the transport of Jews by train to concentration camps wouldn't have a wider effect on the transportation of general supplies by that same railway?

Of course it would.  This is a perfect example of a just/moral act that does still have some undesirable consequences.  Those undesirable consequences do not make the act any less moral/just.

Let's expand your hypothetical "harm" way beyond this...What if the blockading resulted in the death of the people driving the train?  The act would still be just/moral.  Why?  Because we can universalize the act of killing people directly involved in murder to prevent that murder. 

Quote:

The blockades currently happening in Canada are soft blockades - no permanent damage have been done to hold them - and it's also important to acknowledge that while these blockades have definitely limited the amount of freight that can been shipped across Canada, they have not completely shut down our transport network - essential supplies are still moving. The effect is one of significant economic loss, but no Canadians are starving or freezing to death because of these blockades.

The fact that the harm to people is less than it could be does not change the analysis enough to universalize it, though.  We're still talking about harming the innocent.

Quote:

And just like shutting down the fascist State of Nazi Germany undoubtedly harmed a lot of people who were guilty of nothing more than passively benefiting from the suffering and injustice experienced by the Jews and every other undesirable, so to can we expect that shutting down the colonial State of Canada will inevitably harm a lot of people who are guilty of nothing more than passively benefiting from the suffering and injustice experienced by Indigenous peoples. That doesn't make these actions immoral. A more just society will likely always be harmful to those who benefit from the injustice, but only in the temporary - long-term everyone benefits from a more just society.

I never defended "shutting down the fascist State of Nazi Germany."  I don't see that as a moral endeavor at all, and if you want to equate the blockades to that, feel free.

Quote:

I don't see how you can go from considering murder to be a morally ambiguous act without greater context, and even then allow for a difference of opinion - and in the next paragraph conclude that these blockades are unjustified with apparent certainty.

I don't see murder as a morally ambiguous act at all.  I see killing someone a morally ambiguous act, however.
Quote:

Surely you see the double standard that you are constantly applying to these indigenous-led blockades in order to reach your judgement?

No.  In fact, I think I see the double standard that you're applying.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26520353 - 03/06/20 10:10 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:

Legality doesn't dictate morality. A court injunction that allows the RCMP to forcibly remove indigenous peoples from their land is unambiguously an immoral act. Its a violation of basic human rights - including article 10 of the UNDRIP ("Indigenous peoples shall not be forcibly removed from their lands or
territories."). The Wet’suwet’en have not lost in the courts - the Canadian State merely chooses to ignore any judgment in favour of indigenous rights and title.

So if your defence here is that a court injunction supersedes human rights, your defence is that of "rule of law" and is not very different from the defence of "just following orders".

It looks like we agree here.  Legal doesn't mean moral.  I've never said otherwise.

Quote:

All of those things you suggest have been happening for decades.

Then this might just be one time that they have to accept it and move on.  Hurting people just to get what you want is about as immoral as it gets.
Quote:

The fact you can so confidently share your opinion on a situation that you clearly have only the most shallow understanding of is... unsurprising but still disappointing.

I've offered no opinion about the plight of the natives. I've only offered an opinion about the morality of the actions of specific people who have chosen to harm people with these blockades.  Disappointing you, as terribly hurt as I am by it, isn't relevant.

I'm sorry that your friends are engaged in morally indefensible conduct. That's not my doing, but I know what it's like to be in a position of caring about someone and knowing that the person is in the wrong.  You're being loyal in defending them, and I admire that.  Unfortunately, they're on the wrong side of this issue, and taking the immoral path doesn't lead to long-term good for them.  Even if they have a victory here, it will be a victory founded on terrorism.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #26520386 - 03/06/20 10:27 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Returning to practical matters, some tips on security culture:

Tip 1: Believe what you're doing is powerful & important

Tip 2: Don't talk about it

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: shivas.wisdom] * 1
    #26520606 - 03/06/20 01:08 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Tip 3: Don't plan actions over Facebook

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26520645 - 03/06/20 01:28 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Tip 4: Try not to think about the suffering your actions may cause.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: Enlil] * 1
    #26520916 - 03/06/20 04:22 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

PRESS RELEASE: Wet’suwet’en, BCCLA, and UBCIC Release Explosive Letter Revealing BC Solicitor General Authorizing RCMP Deployment, Contradicting Public Statements

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

VANCOUVER/ (Xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ilwətaʔɬ/sel̓ílwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) territories, March 6, 2020 – Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs, BC Civil Liberties Association and Union of BC Indian Chiefs are releasing a letter dated January 27, 2020 from BC Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General Mike Farnworth to RCMP Deputy Commissioner Jennifer Strachan.

In the letter, Farnworth declared a “provincial emergency” under the Provincial Police Service Agreement and explicitly authorized the “internal redeployment of resources within the Provincial Police Service.” Article 9 of the Provincial Police Service Agreement stipulates that, if in the opinion of the Provincial Minister an Emergency in an area of provincial responsibility exists, then the Provincial Police Service will be redeployed at the written request of the Provincial Minister and the Province will pay the costs of the redeployment.

This explosive revelation of the BC Solicitor General authorizing additional RCMP resources and redeployment comes on the heels of repeated statements by the provincial government that they lacked jurisdiction or authority over RCMP actions in Wet’suwet’en territories. On January 20, Premier John Horgan was reported as saying “Our government has no authority to vary that injunction, nor to direct the RCMP in the fulfillment of its responsibilities.” On February 10, Horgan again stated, “Governments do not direct the courts, nor do we direct the RCMP.”

According to Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chief Na’Moks, “The province bears responsibility for the heavy RCMP deployment and for the policing of our people on our own territories. In many of our discussions, the province was passing the buck for RCMP operations but this letter spells it out in black and white. The provincial government can no longer deny responsibility for the Indigenous rights and human rights violations happening on our territories. We have come to the table with respect and truth but the province is not demonstrating respectful or truthful conduct. We have always asserted our laws and presence peacefully, yet the province authorized the extra deployment of RCMP against us. Canada and BC must answer to this mistruth and absolutely must change its ways.”

“It is incredibly troubling and shocking that the provincial government would declare the peaceful assertion of Wet’suwet’en law and jurisdiction as a provincial policing emergency. The Wet’suwet’en people and the people of British Columbia have a right to know on what basis this unprecedented authorization was made. It is inconsistent for the provincial government to, on the one hand, legislate the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples as well as state non-interference in policing operations and, on the other hand, authorize a RCMP deployment aimed at over-policing and criminalizing Indigenous peoples on their own territories,” says Harsha Walia, Executive Director of the BC Civil Liberties Association.

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs stated, “This letter by Mike Farnworth reveals the blatant hypocrisy and lies of the provincial NDP government on the Wet’suwet’en crisis. Farnworth sat silently while Premier Horgan unabashedly lied that the Province did not direct RCMP actions. This is an act of government deceit not only against the Wet’suwet’en but of the public at-large. The province’s rhetoric about reconciliation rings even hollower. We call for the immediate resignation of Mike Farnworth for dishonourable conduct and for declaring the Wet’suwet’en people a policing emergency and a threat on their own territories.”

--------------------

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: shivas.wisdom] * 2
    #26520927 - 03/06/20 04:30 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Really good thread to read from you both; Thunderdome!

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: SirTripAlot] * 1
    #26521031 - 03/06/20 05:43 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

CP Rail’s Secret Injunction – and what it tells us

Anonymous submission to North Shore Counter-Info

Sometime on Friday March 6th, 2020 in a secret courtroom on University Ave in Toronto, CP Rail will make a motion to have their interim injunction be extended to an interlocutory one. Didn’t know CP had an injunction just like CN Rail’s? Neither did anyone but CP Rail & Justice Myers – until they decided to serve recent Hamilton arrestees at their homes after 9pm last night.

We spent too much time thumbing through several hundred pages of documents today, and grace you with the highlights here.

The Superior Court of Justice (Ontario) heard the motion for an interim injunction on February 25th before Justice Myers. It was granted, and then varied on the 26th. There’s a hearing on March 6th to extend the injunction. That said, evidence sheets were captures and printed in early February, so they’ve been preparing for awhile.

The injunction itself has an enforcement order, directing police to enforce it immediately. Upon arrest, one would sign a condition stating they’ll abide by the injunction and released, or be brought before the court to be proceeded against for contempt of court.

The injunction not only includes an order to stay 50 feet away from the outside rails of the tracks, and to not trespass, obstruct or block, but also “directly or indirectly intimidating any of CPR’s employees, contractors, agents…”. It also includes interfering with deliveries and contractors to a site, as well as “aiding, abetting, counseling, procuring or encouraging in any fashion any person or entity to commit or attempt to commit the actions mentioned”.

Very thought-crime esque.

But also nearly an exact replica of the CN injunction overall.

Things get slightly more interesting when it comes to the section that includes the evidence needed to file for the injunction – namely to prove or affirm that blockades will irreparably harm their business.

Most of it is still boring, but here are the clif notes:

William Law, who is the district inspector in charge of Ontario and Quebec within the CP Rail police confirmed that red flags and flares on tracks indicate operators must stop immediately. Crews observing them are not permitted to pass beyond them.

General Impacts of Blockades
  • Rail lines run high value, time sensitive shipments

• CPR operates a schedule based railway. Ever wake up a few minutes late and it ruins the flow to your entire day? That’s what blockades do to rail lines.

• There is “often no way around a blockade on the main line”

• Train delays will cause backlog on tracks and in some yards, while causing car shortages in other yards which compounds disruption.

• Additionally, once the blockade lets up train crews can’t just continue on – the trains must be re-crewed because of service hour limits

• In their words, blockades cause “significant economic damage”

• 24 trains pass on the CP mainliner per day in the Toronto area. Half of them are intermodal (long distance consumer products) and half are mixed manifest.

“The Hamilton Blockade” (their words, not ours)
  • The Hamilton blockade, while only lasting two days, interrupted rail traffic between Buffalo-Toronto, Chicago-Buffalo-Montreal, Montreal-Chicago, and London-Buffalo.

• Tarps strung across the rails successfully blocked the view of officers and photographers from afar

• Hamilton Police had a meeting on February 25th at 9am with the Public Order Unit to discuss and decide a course of action to end the protest. The POU takes approximately 3 hours to convene.

• Based on the heavy and increasing police presence, leaving at 5pm on the second day of the blockade saved a lot of people from arrest.

That’s it. We did say only slightly more interesting.

Now mask up, get out there, and get away with it.

--------------------

OfflineSandala
Noob Shroomer

Loc: UK Flag
    #26521623 - 03/07/20 03:55 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

@shivas.wisdom You've done a sterling job covering this story :thumbup:

I don't expect to see it on the MSM anytime ever, bit like the French Yellow Jacket protest coverage, but I'm surprised it's not being covered by the .alt media at all.

Mite be an idea to highlight it to people like Luke Rudkowski of 'We Are Change', James Corbett of 'The Corbett report', Derrick Broze of 'The Conscious Resistance Network' and Jason Burmas on youtube (loose change director)

I visited Canada in 1977 as a kid, we'd been studying the Indigenous Nations in 'humanities' at school so I was looking forward to visiting one of the reservations to meet some of the people, I can't remember which nation it was, somewhere in Quebec not too far from Montreal.

I don't know what I expected to see (probably something akin to 1950/60's hollywood westerns) but I can still remember, even as a kid, how sad I felt that a proud people with such a rich culture and history had been reduced to what appeared to be a tourist side show selling fake plastic trinkets. I guess that's how repression makes you feel, even when you don't understand repression.

Good Luck in your struggle.

--------------------
My Noob Journal

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: Sandala] * 2
    #26522099 - 03/07/20 11:42 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for your words. Outfits such as Submedia, The Narwhal, Straight, Tyee, Real People’s Media, Richochet and straight up unpaid activists on Twitter have held the line on facts, and on context.

But you know what they say - the revolution won't be televised

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26522113 - 03/07/20 11:56 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

It’s Not Over

In the wake of limited talks between the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs and representatives of the Canadian state, a sense of confusion has set in. State and corporate media outfits have added to this confusion by portraying these talks as an endpoint to the protests that have been taking place for weeks in support of Wet’suwet’en and against the Coastal GasLink pipeline.

But the fact remains that there’s been no agreement to allow for the pipeline to be built, and no calls have been made for people to take down their blockades. Despite what they want you to think… it’s not over.

Bump this on your way to the blockades:

A las barricadas!

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: shivas.wisdom] * 3
    #26528789 - 03/11/20 09:08 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Good article providing some insight and example into the Canadian governments persistent tendency to favour resource extraction corporations over indigenous peoples. Bolding done by me.

Coastal GasLink broke B.C. pipeline rules more than 50 times

Quote:

The company behind the controversial Coastal GasLink pipeline has violated conditions set by the British Columbia government more than 50 times, the province’s records show.

Some rules were broken for years. Others were repeatedly broken and only came to light after Wet’suwet’en community members complained, show documents filed in court. The infractions ranged from blocking Indigenous people from accessing their traplines to missing deadlines on commitments to conserve caribou and endangered plants.

Wet’suwet’en Nation hereditary chiefs, who pulled together the provincial records last month as part of a court challenge of the pipeline, say the pattern of rule-breaking raises doubts about whether the B.C. government should have allowed the project to continue.

“Coastal GasLink has repeatedly flouted the conditions that were spelled out in their previous certificate, and shown only contempt for our people,” said Dinï ze' Smogelgem, a Wet’suwet’en hereditary chief of the Laksamshu (Fireweed and Owl) Clan, in a statement last month.

The B.C. Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy did not directly answer whether 50 violations of provincial rules is standard for energy projects like Coastal GasLink.

“Each project has unique challenges and requirements,” the ministry said in a statement to National Observer.

TC Energy ⁠— the parent company of Coastal GasLink Ltd., which would build and operate the pipeline ⁠— said in an emailed statement that it works quickly with government officials to fix issues when they come up. (TC Energy was formerly known as TransCanada.)

“We have regular inspections by regulatory bodies as well as our own environmental inspectors who are dedicated to ensuring compliance with our permits and certificates,” said spokesperson Terry Cunha.

“When issues are identified Coastal GasLink takes immediate corrective action to bring the project back into compliance.”

The hereditary chiefs have not consented to the pipeline, a natural gas project slated to cut through their unceded traditional territory 1,200 kilometres from Vancouver. The pipeline’s route runs from Dawson Creek in northeastern B.C. to Kitimat, B.C, where it would be converted to liquid and exported as part of the provincially and federally subsidized LNG Canada project.

The project became a political flashpoint last month after RCMP officers raided Wet’suwet’en camps and arrested pipeline opponents to clear them out of the project’s path. Solidarity protests erupted in response, several of which shut down key rail lines.

Days before the raids, the hereditary chiefs filed an application in B.C. Supreme Court, alleging the province failed to consider Coastal GasLink’s spotty compliance record when it gave the pipeline company an extension on the environmental certificate, which is a prerequisite for construction. The petition asks a judge to overturn that decision, made by the B.C. Environmental Assessment Office (EAO), and send it back to the EAO to be re-examined.

The hereditary chiefs also allege the regulator should have considered the well-documented links between resource extraction projects and violence against Indigenous women, children and two-spirited people.

In response, the EAO argued in court documents that it’s unfair to pick the government’s reasoning apart. It also says the government wasn’t strictly required to factor in the pipeline company’s record of infractions, though the agency says “record makes it plain” that the issue was “properly considered.”

The EAO also didn’t have a legal duty to fully explain to the Wet’suwet’en why it greenlighted Coastal GasLink, the agency said. The only party it owed that to is Coastal GasLink, the EAO court filing added.

“We don't agree with that interpretation of the law, and it was a surprising position for the environmental assessment office to take,” said the lawyer representing the hereditary chiefs, Caily DiPuma, in a phone interview.

The EAO is one of two provincial agencies that signed off on Coastal GasLink, which doesn’t require federal approval because the proposed project would be fully within the borders of B.C. The other agency was the B.C. Oil and Gas Commission.

In an emailed statement, the B.C Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Strategy did not answer questions about the court challenge. TC Energy, which is also respondent in the case, hasn't filed a response in court.

The EAO decision being challenged by the Wet'suwet'en isn’t its original 2014 approval of Coastal GasLink. Instead, the hereditary chiefs are applying to overturn the EAO's 2019 decision to extend the pipeline company's certificate.

The certificate granted in 2014 included a requirement that the company begin substantially working on the project by October 2019. By the time that deadline rolled around, the energy company had done some work on the ground, but not enough.

Coastal GasLink applied for a one-time extension on the certificate until 2024, which the EAO granted. The hereditary chiefs are contesting that decision.

"We are not saying that the EAO could never have approved this," DiPuma said. "We are saying that they did not adequately consider the compliance record. They did not explain how they got to the decision that they did in light of the repeated failure to comply."

The hereditary chiefs’ petition to the court notes that the province found dozens of infractions while inspecting Coastal GasLink in 2018 and 2019. The inspections were mostly in response to Wet’suwet’en complaints, the court filing said, and all cases of non-compliance are documented publicly on the EAO’s website.

At times, Coastal GasLink was found to have failed to follow through on conservation requirements ⁠— it missed deadlines for work to help local caribou and old growth forest. It also didn't complete habitat surveys meant to protect endangered plants on time, leading to an EAO order not to construct anything within 200 metres of endangered plants until the assessments were done.

Another time, Coastal GasLink blocked Indigenous people from accessing their traplines, something their certificate to build forbade. On several occasions, the company was found to lack good practices to contain contaminated soil.

The list of infractions also includes several cases where the pipeline company left food where bears could access it (when bears have access to human food, they can learn to prefer it over natural food sources and become dangerous). Coastal GasLink was supposed to buy an electric fence to keep out wildlife, but didn't order one until the EAO pointed out that the rule had been broken.

“The conditions are legally binding and they're there for good reason,” DiPuma said. “They're there to ensure that the environmental impacts of any project are mitigated to the greatest extent possible. And the job of the EAO is to ensure that certificate holders comply with those conditions.”

In its public report explaining why it would allow pipeline construction to continue, the EAO noted that Coastal GasLink didn’t have a perfect compliance record. But it also said Coastal GasLink had been “prompt” in fixing the problems, and in some cases, identified and solved issues on its own.

The Wet’suwet’en court filing alleges the EAO's logic is “unreasonable” and has “no rationale.” Some violations had been happening for years, while others were documented multiple times, the petition said. The hereditary chiefs also pointed to several cases where the company told the province it was following rules that it was later found to be breaking.

“The conclusions drawn are not supported by the facts,” the hereditary chiefs’ filing reads.

In response, the EAO’s court filing said the public report was an “important component” of its reasoning, but didn’t describe its entire decision-making process.

In any case, the EAO said, a court shouldn’t go over government decisions “as though it were a line-by-line treasure hunt for error,” nor should it expect the regulator’s decisions to be perfect.

The EAO noted that it consulted several stakeholders before making its decision, including the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs. Overall, feedback to the extension of the certificate was positive, the EAO filing said.

The EAO filing also says the hereditary chiefs didn’t raise any issues when they were given a draft copy of the EAO’s decision; however, the same document notes elsewhere that the Wet’suwet’en did previously send their concerns to the EAO in writing.

The June 2019 results of an inquiry into the cases of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls called for governments to do gender-based analysis of the impact of new resource projects. Projects like Coastal GasLink, which involves remote "man camps” of mostly male temporary workers, have been associated with higher levels of violence against Indigenous women, children and two-spirited people, a concern the hereditary chiefs flagged in their court filings.

The potential consequences for the community are “life and safety-threatening,” the hereditary chiefs’ court filing said.

In response, the EAO argued that preventing violence against Indigenous women is a “matter of importance,” but doesn’t meet the legal test for overturning its decision to allow Coastal GasLink to continue.

The EAO argued that it considered the Wet’suwet’en concerns about violence against women, but that the inquiry report’s recommendations weren’t legally binding. It “may provide the impetus for legislative actions,” the EAO court filing reads, but doesn’t “impose immediate legal obligations upon governments, regulators or private industry.”

The EAO also said Coastal GasLink had taken certain actions to protect the local community, including an electrified fence and policies against alcohol and drugs at work sites.

That fence was meant to deter wildlife, the Wet’suwet’en argued, and the other measures aren’t “logically responsive” to the core problem.

“My cousins are listed among the Murdered and Missing Women and Girls (MMIWG),” Smogelgem, the Laksamshu Clan hereditary chief, said in a press release last month. “B.C. must not be allowed to bend the rules to facilitate operations that are a threat to the safety of Wet’suwet’en women.”

In an emailed statement, Cunha, the TC Energy spokesperson, said the company works to ensure the safety of everyone working in the company’s camps to build the pipeline.

“Individuals must sign a code of conduct,” Cunha said. “We are committed to developing our workforce accommodation in a manner that reflects our core values of safety, responsibility, collaboration and integrity.”

No date has been set for the hearing.

Two Wet’suwet’en houses are also pursuing a second legal case to challenge the pipeline. That case, filed federally, argues that Canada has a legal duty to protect residents from climate change.

In the meantime, it isn’t clear when pipeline construction could begin. Last month, the EAO rejected a key report from Coastal GasLink that must be approved before the company can begin building an 18-kilometre portion of the pipeline in Wet’suwet’en territory.

The company now has 30 days to go back and do more consultation with the Wet’suwet’en before redoing the report. In the meantime, the company is still allowed to build pipeline in other portions of Wet’suwet’en territory, and do pre-construction work such as surveying.

Last week, the provincial government also came under fire after Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, the B.C. Civil Liberties Association and the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs released a letter showing that the province's Minister of Public Safety Mike Farnworth directly authorized the RCMP raids on Wet'suwet'en territory.

During the raids, B.C. Premier John Horgan and other officials had repeatedly said the province does not direct the police.

But the Jan. 27 letter from Farnsworth to RCMP Deputy Commissioner Jennifer Strachan shows Farnsworth designated the situation a "provincial emergency" and allowed the RCMP to deploy militarized police to the area.

"In many of our discussions, the province was passing the buck for RCMP operations but this letter spells it out in black and white," said Wet'suwet'en hereditary chief Na'Moks in a statement last week.

"We have come to the table with respect and truth but the province is not demonstrating respectful or truthful conduct... Canada and B.C. must answer to this mistruth and absolutely must change its ways."

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26528796 - 03/11/20 09:13 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

We’re still here: Tyendinaga Land Defenders holding strong despite OPP’s efforts

Since February 24th, the date marking the forceful arrests of 10 Mohawk land defenders by the OPP, there has been an air of confusion regarding the current status of the Tyendinaga railway occupation on Wyman road, Ontario. Despite what some media platforms suggest, the occupation is active and undeterred from the struggle in support of the Wet’suwet’en people.

This confusion has been perpetuated by both the ambiguous coverage of the violent use of force made by the OPP on February 24th, as well as the proposed agreement between B.C. senior ministers and Chief Woos on March 1st. This proposed agreement only regards the acknowledgement of the inalienable treaty rights given to hereditary leaders. This agreement seemingly did not include any terms or conditions regarding the cessation of the Coastal Gaslink (CGL) project or the invasion of CGL and RCMP on unceded land. Chief Woos and other hereditary leaders remain opposed to the project and await the movement of the RCMP off of their unceded land before any more discussions are to take place.

It’s important to acknowledge how this confusion has been manufactured. Twisting the words and intentions of Indigenous voices and demonstrations in solidarity with Wet’suwet’en, the Canadian state seeks to install doubt into the hearts and minds of the public and steer them away from supporting actions which are striking the heart of Canadian capital. As long as the RCMP are on unceded Indigenous land, and the pipeline projects are underway, this struggle is not over. Continuing to directly support the blockades, the Unist’ot’en camp, and participating in local solidarity actions is now more crucial than ever. 

On Sunday March 8th, a group of supporters from Nogojiwanong Peterborough went to the village on Wyman Road, Tyendinaga to provide water, food, fuel, and other supplies to the land defenders currently holding their ground. These land defenders are currently healing from the aftermath of the violent use of force from the OPP, as well as some recent COINTELPRO-style tactics committed by the Tyendinaga police force. Self-proclaimed “Mohawk warriors” Shawn Brant and Terry Maracle formed an ad-hoc group dubbed the “Tyendinaga Mohawk Nation Men’s Council” in order to demand the removal of the Tyendinaga occupation. To say that this group is illegitimate and unrepresentative of the community would be an understatement. This so-called “Men’s Council” only speaks on behalf of the local police force to further threaten land defenders with unjustified violence under the guise of granting the community’s wishes. Information and demands that are generated and shared from either of these members or this fraudulent group should be denounced and seen for what they are: paid informants attempting to infiltrate and misdirect the movement.

In light of these recent attempts to distort, undermine, and physically dismantle the railway occupation, Tyendinaga stands strong; remaining dedicated to standing on guard for the Wet’suwet’en people while this proposed agreement to resolve the unrecognized title to their hereditary lands is ongoing. Moving forward, genuine supporters of Tyendinaga and the Wet'suwet'en people should keep a keen eye out for infiltrators of the movement and recognize and denounce misinformation spread by them.

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shutdown Canada: The Wet’suwet’en Standoff [Re: shivas.wisdom] * 1
    #26528825 - 03/11/20 09:40 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

COINTELPRO-style disruption tactics used by Tyendinaga Police against Real People’s Media and Wet’suwet’en solidarity movement

In recent days, Real People’s Media has become the target of a COINTELPRO-style smear campaign.

While we do not normally publicly comment on attacks from trolls and social media haters, the situation has now escalated to one in which threats of vigilante violence have been made against RPM members and the participants at the Wyman Rd. camp. These threats have been made online and in person. The fingerprints of police involvement in “bad-jacketing” RPM members for violence are all over recent events.

RPM has uncovered multiple instances of the Tyendinaga Police Service (affiliated with the Ontario Provincial Police) working to undermine and infiltrate the movement in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory. This has included covert efforts by Tyendinaga Police Chief Jason Brant to remove the camp by issuing a fake press release that was sent to OPP Commissioner Thomas Carrique in the early hours of February 13th, 2020. The press release claimed that the Mohawks were standing down and leaving the Wyman Rd. location before the arrival of Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller, and was timed to coincide with an aborted 8am SWAT Team raid to arrest the ‘hard line’ elements who wouldn’t clear the site.

Real People’s Media captures Kanenhariyo’s conversation with OPP Police Commissioner Carrique. on the morning of February 13:

The issuing of the secret police press release was arranged with self-proclaimed “Mohawk Warrior” Shawn Brant. Brant has been notably absent from involvement in the Wet’suwet’en solidarity movement in Tyendinaga except where he has appeared to actively undermine it.

Brant was present along with CN Rail police and Tyendinaga Police Chief Jason Brant to observe the gathering on Wyman shortly after it began, but he was not present at the camp except on the evening of February 12th. That night, Shawn Brant made every effort to convince the people to leave the front lines – a request that was unsuccessful. When Tyendinaga Police Chief Jason Brant arrived on the morning of February 13th to carry out his and Shawn’s plans, he was promptly escorted out by Mohawk warriors.

The Mohawk people at Wyman Rd. remove Tyendinaga Police Chief Jason Brant from the camp on the morning of February 13th:

On February 25th, the Tyendinaga Police continued to interfere in the movement to support the Wet’suwet’en. Real People’s Media has obtained an audio recording of TPS Officer Marcel Maracle working to sow fear and division amongst the people, all while trying to influence political events by encouraging a contact to “put together a committee” made up of a “Bear, Wolf and Turtle” to make the decision “on behalf” of the people to shut down the camps and leave.

This is the audio of Tyendinaga Police Services Officer Marcel Maracle in conversation with a member of the solidarity action in support of the Wet’suwet’en on Feb 25, 2020. The audio has been edited to remove the voice of the person Officer Maracle was seeking to influence:

Officer Maracle is also overheard on the tape claiming that [Mohawk Clan Mother] “Carol Anne has pulled out the women and children, because I called her…. I told her ‘your daughter is in there, things are occurring, and people are going to get hurt.’” He also stated that the OPP was not going to charge anybody right now (Feb 25) “not because they’re giving immunity, but because they can’t identify anybody.” This statement has been proven to be untrue by APTN’s reporting that the OPP police liaisons “gave intelligence, identities of Tyendinaga Mohawks to CN Rail without legal challenge.”

The question of what involvement the Tyendinaga Police Service has played in providing the OPP with the identities of the 24 Mohawk men who have been charged or issued summons to appear in court for supporting the Wet’suwet’en remains unclear.

The Tyendinaga Police Service continued to play politics most recently on March 5th, when a vehicle belonging to Real People’s Media co-founder Tom Keefer was pulled over on reserve by Officer Marcel Maracle. Keefer was not in the vehicle, but its driver, a videographer for Real People’s Media, was stopped. No charges or tickets were given by the officer. Instead, Officer Maracle simply reported over the radio that the driver was a Registered Sex Offender and that he was driving Keefer’s vehicle.

The following evening, a meeting was convened by a group led by Officer Marcel Maracle’s brother Terry Maracle. This ad-hoc group called itself the “Tyendinaga Mohawk Nation Men’s Council” and was organized to discuss the information reported by Officer Maracle on the police scanner.

According to a first-hand report, this group met while drinking alcohol, and without any investigation of the matter, issued a statement published on the Facebook account of Terry Maracle that “ordered” the removal of RPM co-founder Tom Keefer from the territory, and the dispersal of what it called “the transients” from “the Keefer Camp” [the Wyman Rd. encampment] with the use of “all necessary and appropriate force.”

After the meeting, two of the men who had been drinking at the meeting drove through the community drunk, and arrived at the home of RPM co-founder Kanenhariyo Seth Lefort with the intention of doing violence to him in the middle of the night. Fortunately, the men were talked down and left without further incident. One of the men returned to apologize for his actions the following day.

Neither Real People’s Media nor its co-founders Kanenhariyo Seth Lefort or Tom Keefer had any knowledge that the RPM volunteer driving Keefer’s car had a criminal record or had been charged with a domestic sexual assault in 2008. Once informed, RPM immediately addressed the issue. The driver agreed to leave the territory and not return, and he is no longer involved with Real People’s Media. The individual in question has written a statement on the matter which is published below to provide further context for our readers.

The so called “Men’s Council” has continued to promote violence and threats against the camp. On the evening of Saturday March 8th, a group of about two dozen affiliated with Maracle showed up at the site, threatening to take it down and do violence to the men there. The Tyendinaga Police Services were on hand to block the road leading into the camp so that no supporters of the camp could enter. Only those opposed to the camp and affiliated with Terry Maracle and Shawn Brant’s “Men Council” were allowed through, creating the conditions for a violent confrontation within the community.

After a 45 minute discussion at the main entrance of the camp, it was decided the people would meet again at 3pm on Sunday, March 8 to discuss the concerns of the people in Tyendinaga about the camp.

An eagle flies over the Wyman Rd. Camp

The Wet’suwet’en resistance to the CGL pipeline and the RCMP invasion has kickstarted a historic movement across Turtle Island of Indigenous people standing up through their Clans and Hereditary systems to reclaim their lands and to control their territory.

This movement has shaken the Canadian colonial system and its national security apparatus. Those benefiting from Canada’s Indian Act system and the delivery of its programs and services on reserve are similarly shook. The Indian Act is coming to an end, and the grassroots people are rising up to re-establish their traditional systems on their own lands.

Real People’s Media has been committed to elevating and telling the stories of the people’s movement in solidarity with the Wet’suwet’en and the revival and strengthening of Onkwehon:we Clan-based systems over the past five years. Real People’s Media is owned and operated under the guidance of the Bear Clan in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory. We remain fully committed to the struggle in support of the Wet’suwet’en people, and are undeterred by the actions of police, infiltrators and agents against ourselves or the movement.

Having said that, the situation in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory is dire. The actions of the Tyendinaga Police Services are threatening the peace, and encouraging vigilante violence.

We call upon our viewers, listeners and readers to remember the lessons learned in the murderous disruption of the American Indian Movement and the Black Panther Party by COINTELPRO, and we urge everyone to thoroughly investigate matters before leaping to conclusions or taking action.

We encourage those people belonging to Clans to meet within them to discuss these matters and to consider an appropriate response to police and outsider interference in Onkwehon:we affairs. We call for non-Indigenous people and Indigenous people without Clans to listen to and amplify the voices of those people meeting in their Clans – rather than to speak for or interfere in Onkwehon:we affairs.

The camp at Wyman Rd. remains up and active, and the Mohawks continue to stand on guard for the Wet’suwet’en people as they discuss and decide upon a proposed agreement to resolve the issue of unrecognized title to their ancestral lands and the invasion of CGL and the RCMP invasion on their lands.

We also call for our readers and supporters to provide us with any further information that they may have regarding the sabotage and disruption of the Wet’suwet’en solidarity movement and police infiltration in Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory.

Real People’s Media remains committed to expressing and amplifying the voices of the Onkwehon:we people, and we are in for what we know will be a long and ongoing struggle.

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26528829 - 03/11/20 09:47 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Let's end things on a lighter note after that drop. This short video is from four years ago when Chevron was hoping to build a pipeline on Wet'suwet'en territory - it's a hilarious example of woke capitalism

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals