Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRiceCake

Loc: UK
Mushrooms vs. Sclerotia
    #2652825 - 05/08/04 09:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone any opinions on the advantages of growing traditional mushroom producing species against sclerotia (truffle or philosiphers stones) producing species ?

It seems that sclerotia aren't too hard to grow and they taste nicer than mushrooms, but (dried) they only have 2/3 the potency and you can't get spore prints.

I was wondering what other people thought.....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnomM
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Mushrooms vs. Sclerotia [Re: RiceCake]
    #2653116 - 05/08/04 01:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You should ask this question in the cultivation forum.

I think that Psilocybe Cubensis is easier to grow(but I don't grow). The taste shouldn't be a problem; dry them and ingest with some orange juice. No problem at all for most people.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #2653140 - 05/08/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

On an ingestion note...i ate about 8 grams of sclerotica the other day. P. Mexicana and had a decent trip.

I dont think its comparable to mushrooms at all, as even like, 1.5 or 2 grams of mushies will rocket me out pretty good and this just had me tired w/ almost no visuals.

Will be trippling the dosage and trying again next weekend.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineRiceCake

Loc: UK
Re: Mushrooms vs. Sclerotia [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2653723 - 05/08/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I wasn't sure where to ask this question because it could cover all sorts of aspects. Perhaps I'll re-ask it elsewhere.

That's interesting about the dosage, Madtowntripper. I read elsewhere in a cultivation diary that fresh sclerotia are supposed to be twice as potent as mushrooms. Because they have less water in them. Like I said, dried they are 2/3 the potency, allegedly. It also said that the trip was different (mellower) and the visuals were different. Your experience sounds disappointing.

The other problem is that they take 3 months to fruit.

I think I'll stick to mushrooms for the forseeable future, and get some orange juice in. I took Liberty caps years ago - this is the first time I will have tried Cubies, and I'm still growing my first batch.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2656820 - 05/09/04 03:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Can't really agree with the "taste nicer" stuff - I tried to gag down them fresh after hearing that shit about them "tasting like walnuts". Never again. I dry em and capsule em.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms vs. Sclerotia [Re: Xlea321]
    #2657147 - 05/09/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Do you have alot of problems drying them Alex? I've had some sitting over dri-rite for about a week now, and they still arent totally dry.

I'm gonna chop them today and see if they dry out faster then, but with mush, I can leave them over for a day and they're dry.

Mebbe 'cause of the higher water content? Or the extreme density....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinegarbage

#2658577 - 05/10/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i thought the more fresh the more potent?

--------------------
  Vaporbrothers :smile:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms vs. Sclerotia [Re: garbage]
    #2659100 - 05/10/04 11:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Nope. Potency doesnt change...if theres x milligrams of psilocybin in the mushroom when its wet, there'll still be x milligrams in it when its dry....

--------------------

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2659168 - 05/10/04 12:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

can you clarify? 8 grams of wet sclerotia or 8g dry?

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Mushrooms vs. Sclerotia [Re: Mycena]
    #2659222 - 05/10/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I ate 8g wet of sclerotica, which is equal to about 16 grams wet of of cubensis, or 1.6 grams dry of cubensis.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #2659831 - 05/10/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Madtown, never noticed any problems drying, just sit em a foot or two away from a warm fan and 2-3 days later they were dry as a bone. Same length of time as the ordinary shrooms usually take.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
    #2661847 - 05/11/04 04:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Mexicana sclerotia is easier to produce than cubensis shrooms... it just takes a while longer... of course, you can harvest some stones when you case some jars.

As for flavor, I like Mexicana stones better'n cubensis... but my gf does not.

To each his own.

They do not taste like wallnuts... but they taste MUCH more nutlike than a cube.

Mexicana seems to take a bit longer to kick in (Be sure to chew it well... if you don't grind 'em up... dry stones should be ground... or rehydrated before injesting or they will pass right through you... like corn... hehehe). And the trip seems to last a while longer than cubensis... that said, it seems easier to have a coherant conversation on Mexicana sclerotia than on cubes.

A Mexicana trip is VERY visual but a little different than cubensis. It does not come and go in waves like a cube... a Mexicana trip is much more consistant.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience