Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRetow
Stranger
Grow Kit
    #2545085 - 04/09/04 08:34 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Hi all,

I began growing my first batch of mushrooms a week today (p. cubensis). The kit, when it arrived, was bristling with white mycelium. After submerging the cake for 12 hours and placing it in a heated propergator everything went as planned.......

1 week on and the mycelium has poped up in patches across the top of the woodchip, white clusters varying sizes, but no sign of pins... I know only a week has past but it is a high quality kit and ive heard that if the surface becomes fully colonised that it can have a detremental effect upon the mushrooms. anyway i searched these forums and found a couple of methods to induce pinning however they seem to conflict.

On one hand i see that fresh air to reduce co2 levels, more diffused light (p cubensis is phototropic) and a higher temperature are needed 26oc +

on the other ive seen consistant diffused light and cold shocking the tank to reduce humidity and temperature.

As this is my first grow any help would be greatly appreciated on what you think is best.

bear in mind this is probably me being impatient but id say 1/3 of the top layer of woodchip is white now so id rather prevent any problems before they arise.

But i lay it to the more experianced growers to tell me whats going on!

thanks in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleImOver18
FormerlyMr.Sleep

Re: Grow Kit [Re: Retow]
    #2545128 - 04/09/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Just use your normal conditions and wait. It'll be worth the wait. Just think, would you rather fuck up your whole kit by drying it out somehow or whatnot (assuming you're a newbie) or just waiting? I'd much rather wait and get my money's worth out of the kit. So just..leave it alone. Good luck.

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
    #2545162 - 04/09/04 09:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

keep your temp right around 76F(i dont know what that is in Celsius and im too lazy 2 check),fan it 3-4 times a day,besides that i would leave it be.if another 1/3 of it colonizes and you stilll dont see pins,then maybe do something else,but untill then you shouldnt be worried.it sounds like you have read up and your doing good,you dont wanna take a chance now,especially if it turns out there was no need.

OfflineRetow
Stranger
    #2545228 - 04/09/04 09:23 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Right ill leave it be and stave off any impulses i have to hurry the process along and continue as i have done until it progresses further. Ill post some pics of the kit as is as soon as i get my digicam back. Was hoping for ethogen weekend but i can wait after all ive acted as caretaker to the shrooms for this long a few more days wont hurt. Ill keep you all updated if there are any changes!

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
    #2545235 - 04/09/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Good Luck!!!

OfflineRetow
Stranger
    #2553794 - 04/13/04 09:05 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Its now 1 week +4 days since the cake was put in the propergator after being submerged and I think ive just sighted the first couple of pins forming! thankfully I didnt do anything drastic but trudging through the forums I managed to find a few more subtle things to try and give the little fellas some encouragement.

I upped the amount I was fanning them to twice daily
Lowerd the temperature to ~23oC to prevent the myceliums seemingly unstoppable overgrow.

kept everything else constant and waited!

The biggest thing I feel that made an impact, and I had somehow overlooked, was in the rack I have them in there was a small hole in the side so whereas I thought they were shaded when the evening sun came through the window and hit the tin foil casing whithin it lit up like a supernova :blush:.

Its only been 2 days since i coverd the hole and I feel it made a big diff Ive blacked them out atm for 24 hours and it was upon inspection today that i found the little pins. The hole on the side would also of ment that, due to the rack being in the office, it was recieving fairly large amounts of light 24/7 so it seems ive saved the cake!

Thanks for the advice posters! Ill definatly be hanging around here as its the best resource ive found for the budding mycologist hehe

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #2554446 - 04/13/04 12:38 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

you bought a kit that had growing p cubensis mycelia in it when it arrived?

who sells a kit like that?

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Re: Grow Kit [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2555384 - 04/13/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Places in Europe.

-J

OfflineRetow
Stranger
Re: Grow Kit [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #2558049 - 04/14/04 05:19 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Aye Im in England, the headshop near where i live sells most strains fresh, in the summer its nice to sit outside and have a mushroom tea while looking at the castle grounds in town.
Plus all the uk based headshops here have them ready made all thats left is the fruiting part :smile: many are imported from amsterdam although alot remain home grown.

Ive been flirting with the idea of getting a franchise like kingbong or something to offer mushies etc through my internet cafe but I dunno if it would go down well with alot of my surfers hehe

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2652718 - 05/08/04 05:44 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi there,

I am a first time-grower and have the same problem with my Thai-brick :japsmile:. As it arrived, it was almost totally covered with myc. Parallel therefore I grow a Mexican strain :wexican: and they weren't covered at all. Now almost 1 1 /2 week passed and the Mexicans are fruiting well at the side of the brick, but the Thais are not pinning at all. They are fully covered with myc for several days now and I cutted the top with a sterile knife (1 cm) about 6 days before. Yesterday I started the winter-shock-method :santaclaus: and I will put them in the fridge every night for three days.
It seems, the substrate is a bit to much compressed I think, thats why the Mexicans come massive only at the edge.

I will tell you, if the near-winter-method will bring them to pin and fruit :mushroom2:.

Sorry for my bad english,

peace :hippie:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grow Kit [Re: MikeOLogical]
    #2652743 - 05/08/04 06:12 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

SJMaan use to sell kits like that and they sent them to the states. Actually I think that they still do. SJMaan

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: Grow Kit [Re: Magash]
    #2659218 - 05/10/04 10:40 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yepee, they finally show up ! But again only at the side of the brick.

Happy shrooming

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds