Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePlain
You are the universe
Male User Gallery

Loc: In the moment
DAW users * 1
    #26524940 - 03/09/20 03:54 AM (4 years, 20 days ago)

Hey shroomery, any other users of DAW such as Fl studios and Ableton to talk to and learn from on these threads?  Anyone with a music background that's willing to help someone learning music theory, mixing, and mastering let me know.

--------------------
"You are not IN the universe, you ARE the universe, an intrinsic part of it. Ultimately you are not a person, but a focal point where the universe is becoming conscious of itself. What an amazing miracle."

- Eckhart Tolle

“Everybody is ‘you’. Everybody is ‘I’. That’s our name. We all share that.”

- Alan Watts

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off quicker than Salvia"

- Rick Sanchez (voice of Justin Roiland)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDilsnique
Admiral Admirable
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherworld
Re: DAW users [Re: Plain] * 2
    #26525564 - 03/09/20 02:11 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

This guy is great for FL Studio tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nfxbeats

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

Loc: Sunshine Province, Canada Flag
Re: DAW users [Re: Dilsnique] * 2
    #26525643 - 03/09/20 03:02 PM (4 years, 20 days ago)

I use FL Studio and Maschine to make LO-FI beats.

--------------------
You are what is. That's all.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #26526201 - 03/09/20 09:20 PM (4 years, 19 days ago)

I have some experience with FL Stuido and with Audacity.

InvisiblePlain
You are the universe
Male User Gallery

Re: DAW users [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26526373 - 03/09/20 11:06 PM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Did you have an understanding of music theory before getting the DAW or did you learn as you learned the software?

I had some dusty knowledge from middle school band but on my own using videos I've learned much more about music than I have in my entire life.

I've been watching hours among hours of videos for FL studios and lessons on music theory and I am progressing at a satisfying rate I just know that the software has many features that you got to discover in order to use.

Any plug ins you would recommend? Im waiting until my funds are right to get serum because that seems essential. Are there any other essential plug ins i should look up? Ive only been at this since October.

--------------------
"You are not IN the universe, you ARE the universe, an intrinsic part of it. Ultimately you are not a person, but a focal point where the universe is becoming conscious of itself. What an amazing miracle."

- Eckhart Tolle

- Alan Watts

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

#26526443 - 03/10/20 12:14 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Plain said:
Did you have an understanding of music theory before getting the DAW or did you learn as you learned the software?

I had some dusty knowledge from middle school band but on my own using videos I've learned much more about music than I have in my entire life.

I've been watching hours among hours of videos for FL studios and lessons on music theory and I am progressing at a satisfying rate I just know that the software has many features that you got to discover in order to use.

Any plug ins you would recommend? Im waiting until my funds are right to get serum because that seems essential. Are there any other essential plug ins i should look up? Ive only been at this since October.

Before making beats, I knew how to play the piano but other than that, I had no music experience what-so-ever, especially theory lol I did the same thing you're doing now, watching Youtube tutorials and studying the type of music I wanted to make. Just keep at it and you'll continue to progress. As for plugins, if you have the money to spend I'd recommend Waves and FabFilter; these companies make some of the best plugins on the market and you can buy the plugins in bundles, but you can make some great sounding music with the FL stock plugins, believe it or not. Native Instruments also makes some really great plugins like Battery and Kontakt.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DAW users [Re: Plain]
    #26526472 - 03/10/20 01:02 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Nah, i just went in with no knowledge of music. I literally played by ear. If the loops sounded good together, then i went along with addinf more to the track to try to make a song. More like trial and error. Would be cool to get education on music theory thou.

As mentioned above, FL Studio has a ton of awesome Plug Ins. I highly recommend exploring the stock plug-ins fist. Plently to play with. FL Studio has a pretty aggressive learning curve. Theres a lot u can do with it.

Im not sure about buy Plug-ins but im sure they are available. Maybe on FL Studios website? :shrug:

InvisiblePlain
You are the universe
Male User Gallery

#26526482 - 03/10/20 01:19 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

I feel like the ability to play piano is a huge leg up in music production. When i first sat in front of some keys I couldn't even understand the keys. Now i can play some chords by memory. Its definitely a noticeable progression that makes me feel like this is a worthwhile effort.

Is there a big difference between stock filters and paid ones?

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Nah, i just went in with no knowledge of music. I literally played by ear. If the loops sounded good together, then i went along with addinf more to the track to try to make a song. More like trial and error. Would be cool to get education on music theory thou.

As mentioned above, FL Studio has a ton of awesome Plug Ins. I highly recommend exploring the stock plug-ins fist. Plently to play with. FL Studio has a pretty aggressive learning curve. Theres a lot u can do with it.

Im not sure about buy Plug-ins but im sure they are available. Maybe on FL Studios website? :shrug:

I have used the life out of the stock plug ins and everything i see online is people using Serum. Typically I use Flex but use the other stocks and a couple free VSTs i got.
Image-line.com is the site where Fl studios plug ins are purchase and there are a few free trial VSTs i would consider buying.

The stock plug ins would probably be great if i knew how to tweak sounds like a sound engineer but im no where near there. Might have to look up some tutorials on making stock sounds better.

--------------------

- Eckhart Tolle

- Alan Watts

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

#26526506 - 03/10/20 01:53 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Plain said:
I feel like the ability to play piano is a huge leg up in music production. When i first sat in front of some keys I couldn't even understand the keys. Now i can play some chords by memory. Its definitely a noticeable progression that makes me feel like this is a worthwhile effort.

Is there a big difference between stock filters and paid ones?

If you know how to use them, paid-plugins can totally transform your music.

For example, Waves has tons of compressor and tape-machine plugins that are true emulations of vintage hardware, hardware used to mix some of the most well known albums of all time (Abbey Road, Thriller, Led Zeppelin IV, etc.)

You really get what you pay for and can get some AMAZING sound out of these plugins. But these are top of the line and can be pricey. FabFilter is another really good company; their plugins offer some of the craziest mixing control I've ever seen, especially with their ProQ EQ. And their distortion plugin is fantastic.

--------------------

InvisiblePlain
You are the universe
Male User Gallery

Re: DAW users [Re: BooShow]
    #26526509 - 03/10/20 02:03 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Exactly the info I needed.

Would you encourage learning stock filters more before purchasing new and possibly more complex software?
I have been so focused on music theory I haven't done much with mastering or effects.

I have seen Fabfilter uses in videos before. I have bought some stuff and it was worth the money for sure. I am looking for a Lo Fi hip hop sound and a modern EDM or pop sound. Although I aim to learn all genres when i get to a place in music theory where I feel tjat will not be as much of a challenge.

--------------------

- Eckhart Tolle

- Alan Watts

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DAW users [Re: Plain] * 1
    #26526517 - 03/10/20 02:25 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Yeah best way to learn is just play around and tweak all the settings. FL Studios has an awesome manual. If u havent, read it up. Lots of great info in there.

I find trial and error my favorite way to learn but tutorials work as well :yesnod:

What FL Studio do u have? Ever practiced mastering with Audacity?

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

#26526518 - 03/10/20 02:28 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

I'd recommend learning the basic stock plugins first, just to get the hang of them so when you eventually do get the higher end plugins, you'll know exactly how to tweak them to get the sound that you want. And if you're looking for a wicked trick that changed my drums FOREVER, look up NY Compression (parallel processing) tutorial on Youtube. It makes you drums sound FAT AF. It works really well on basses and samples too.

Another tip (lol), if you find you have problems with keeping decent headroom, when your track is mostly arranged and you begin to mix it, reduce the volume on all the sliders you have sounds assigned to on the mixer and slowly increase the volume of each slider, one at a time (starting with the quietest elements in the track and ending with your loudest elements, your drums, for example. Use your ears and balance the sounds using the volume sliders).

Before I do this, my track can be maxing out at -1.5db, which is loud AF for mixing and offers very little headroom for mastering. When you apply the tip above, you can bring the overall volume of the track down to something like -5db, which is plenty of headroom for later mastering.

I hope that make sense lol

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DAW users [Re: BooShow]
    #26526522 - 03/10/20 02:35 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Indeed. Mix at a lower volume then when you amplify at the end (Mastering), its a lot easier to get a loud Master. I learned this recordinf music thru my DJ mixer.

InvisibleThe_Brown_Wizard
what?
Male

Loc: Southeastern Carpathians Flag
Re: DAW users [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 2
    #26526531 - 03/10/20 03:04 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

I used FL Studio for about 6 years but I recently switched to Bitwig and I'm loving it!

I think the best way to learn is to just play with the program and watch some youtube tutorials. After you get the hang of it and know where most of the stuff is, I recommend going through all the effects and learning how to use them and how they work.
Synths you could learn a few, all of them or none depending on how much you like using them. I really liked N.I. Massive but I also loved some default fl synths.
It's very important to learn how the plugins work, not just how to use them.

Music theory is pretty important, that's why knowing to play an instrument is a huge win. I use a 16 pad midi drum machine for finger drumming and sometimes I play guitar/bass

I wouldn't recommend investing in paid effect plugins, most of them are mere variations of the stock ones and won't help you make better music. You could however get a synth if you find that none of the stock ones suit your needs. 3xOsc was the only one I really liked in fl and it's the most basic one

--------------------
:scaryshroom: There's a weird fuck lurking in these woods :scaryshroom:

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

#26526532 - 03/10/20 03:06 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Indeed. Mix at a lower volume then when you amplify at the end (Mastering), its a lot easier to get a loud Master. I learned this recordinf music thru my DJ mixer.

When I learned this trick, it made mixing SO much easier. Saves tons of hassle later on.

--------------------

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

Re: DAW users [Re: The_Brown_Wizard]
    #26526539 - 03/10/20 03:16 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

The_Brown_Wizard said:
I used FL Studio for about 6 years but I recently switched to Bitwig and I'm loving it!

I think the best way to learn is to just play with the program and watch some youtube tutorials. After you get the hang of it and know where most of the stuff is, I recommend going through all the effects and learning how to use them and how they work.
Synths you could learn a few, all of them or none depending on how much you like using them. I really liked N.I. Massive but I also loved some default fl synths.
It's very important to learn how the plugins work, not just how to use them.

Music theory is pretty important, that's why knowing to play an instrument is a huge win. I use a 16 pad midi drum machine for finger drumming and sometimes I play guitar/bass

I wouldn't recommend investing in paid effect plugins, most of them are mere variations of the stock ones and won't help you make better music. You could however get a synth if you find that none of the stock ones suit your needs. 3xOsc was the only one I really liked in fl and it's the most basic one

Have you tried Omnisphere? It's wicked for synths and pads.

--------------------

what?
Male

Re: DAW users [Re: BooShow] * 1
    #26526555 - 03/10/20 03:35 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

I didn't try it but I've seen a few videos on it and I think it has some pretty awesome features

--------------------

OfflineBooShow
Spooky
Male

Re: DAW users [Re: The_Brown_Wizard] * 1
    #26526560 - 03/10/20 03:40 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

The_Brown_Wizard said:
I didn't try it but I've seen a few videos on it and I think it has some pretty awesome features

Yeah man, it's insane. You can mix and match sounds together to create totally new and crazy shit. You can even load in your own samples and mix them with synths, pads, psycho-acoustics, etc.

Their choir section is top-notch as well.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DAW users [Re: BooShow] * 1
    #26526571 - 03/10/20 04:05 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Bitwig sounds pretty awesome. Is it easy to use?

BooShow, for sure. Makes it so much easier. As long as your noise floor is low, its the best way to do it IMO.

what?
Male

#26526644 - 03/10/20 05:38 AM (4 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Bitwig sounds pretty awesome. Is it easy to use?

Yeah, i think that the GUI is very well designed and that's a big thing, especially for beginners. It has a workflow that is pretty similar to Ableton.

Modulations are "its thing" and it has an awesome stock modular poly synth called "The Grid"

Also a big selling point for me is the fact that it runs natively on linux, as well as windows and mac

If anyone wants to give it a try I believe there is a free demo version on their website that has all features enabled but you can't save projects.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals