Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Is it possible to fully grasp what the ego is without a psychedelic fueled ego death? [Re: Mr. D Green]
    #26517818 - 03/05/20 01:34 AM (4 years, 24 days ago)

Re: Self / ego

"Jim Carrey was driven 'psychotic' playing comedian Andy Kaufman

Jim Carrey has revealed the late Andy Kaufman took over his body while filming 1999's Man on the Moon
Jim Carrey has revealed the late Andy Kaufman took over his body while filming 1999's Man on the Moon Credit

The 1999 Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon saw Jim Carrey give what is arguably his greatest performance, uncannily capturing the cult comedian famed for his idiosyncratic characters and pranks. But now we know why: Carrey claims he was possessed by the late comic's spirit.

Speaking at the Venice Film Festival premiere (via Hollywood Reporter), Carrey said, "It was psychotic at times. Jim Carrey didn't exist at that time."

"The true author of the project is Andy and his genius, the fact that he committed so completely to what he did, really made that possible and made it essential for me to lose myself," Carrey continued. "I don't feel like I made the film at all. I feel like Andy made the film."

While on set, Carrey would only respond to individuals who called him "Andy", while members of Kaufman's family would show up during filming to "commune" with their deceased relation. When director Milos Forman became exasperated with Carrey's devotion to method acting, "Andy" informed him that "Jim" could go back to just doing a generic impression of Kaufman if Forman truly wanted him to, but Forman eventually declined.

Carrey's "possession" by Kaufman also affected the film he shot right after, 2000's How the Grinch Stole Christmas, as Carrey sometimes spoke to Grinch director Ron Howard over the phone while still in character as Kaufman.

Carrey's experiences on the set of Man on the Moon form the basis of a new documentary, titled Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – The Story of Jim Carrey & Andy Kaufman Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton.

The film is comprised of behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the film, along with present-day interviews with Carrey, who talks with insight of his career, the nature of method acting, and the seemingly cosmic interventions that led him to starring in his most famous projects.

Those include his casting in The Truman Show, inspired by his experiences of "living in a bubble" at the time, and his revelation that great personal heartbreak led him to appear in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Carrey told the Venice Q&A: "We spend our life running around looking for anchors. 'Oh, I'm Italian, that's who I am.' The fact is you don't exist. You're nothing but ideas. We take all those ideas and cobble them together and make sort of a personality charm bracelet, an ID bracelet we wear in life. But that's not who we are, because we're nothing. And it's such a f------ relief."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/08/jim-carrey-driven-psychotic-playing-comedian-andy-kaufman/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Is it possible to fully grasp what the ego is without a psychedelic fueled ego death? [Re: laughingdog]
    #26517836 - 03/05/20 01:59 AM (4 years, 24 days ago)

Jill Bolte Taylor got a research opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: She had a massive stroke, and watched as her brain functions -- motion, speech, self-awareness -- shut down one by one. An astonishing story.

https://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_my_stroke_of_insight#t-18426

and

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=jill+bolte+taylor&t=h_&ia=web

Edited by laughingdog (03/05/20 02:07 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to fully grasp what the ego is without a psychedelic fueled ego death? [Re: Mr. D Green]
    #26517962 - 03/05/20 04:59 AM (4 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. D Green said:... By the word control I mean total control..light switch is on, light switch is off. No dimming setting is able to take lead...

no comprendo, sorry.
for me lights on means awake.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineRJ Tubs 202
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #26519885 - 03/06/20 01:53 AM (4 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Mr. D Green said:

What is the ego to you?

It drives depression and narcissism - and is at the root of all mass shootings.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is it possible to fully grasp what the ego is without a psychedelic fueled ego death? [Re: RJ Tubs 202]
    #26519942 - 03/06/20 04:01 AM (4 years, 23 days ago)

a demon, you say?

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order