Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
the contentless post.
    #2651983 - 05/07/04 11:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I was just thinking... is my room still my room when I'm not in it? Is it a requirement of the label that I be in it for it to constitute as mine... and if so, what happens when someone else enters?

Threads placed in an inappropriate forum are redirected by the moderators, and it got me wondering what would happen if someone made a thread completly void of content or aim?

Now that we are in a labeless room, where will we take it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr_Gubjet

Loc: Infinitus Kosmos
Re: the contentless post. [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2651986 - 05/07/04 11:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Prime exsample of a 'the contentless post' by TheShroomHermit.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2652073 - 05/07/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomHermit said:
I was just thinking... is my room still my room when I'm not in it? Is it a requirement of the label that I be in it for it to constitute as mine... and if so, what happens when someone else enters?

Threads placed in an inappropriate forum are redirected by the moderators, and it got me wondering what would happen if someone made a thread completly void of content or aim?

Now that we are in a labeless room, where will we take it?

I don't think it was so "contentless." 

Quote:

Very philosophically sentenced, if you ask me.  "Is my room still my room when I'm not in it?"  Like, is a chair still a chair when no one is sitting in it?  If a chair is something to be sat on, and no one is sitting on it, is it still a chair?  Or is it now simply a piece of furniture? 

Quote:

and if so, what happens when someone else enters?

I suppose that unless you have some type of papers describing ownership of the room, the room now belongs to the person entering it.  Or, the room was never yours to begin with and you were temporarily using it, regardless of the length of time for which you were using it.  And don't forget, we don't "own" anything, anyways.  We only use it for a short period of time, regardless of how long that period of time may be, on a continuum of what we know of as "time". 

IMO, the room is not "label-less".  The room is a room, depending on the criteria you use for defining a room. 

I think you found the right thread for your question.  I think that there are better philosophers than myself here that could better turn what you wrote into a philosophically-based post.  :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2654107 - 05/08/04 05:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think in terms of 'what if' any more, really. Things just Exist, and trying to label them as 'yours' or someone elses can cause problems. Your post is a spin on the classic if a tree falls........... I think the point is, yes the tree makes a sound because the tree can observe itself falling, and even if there were not any people or animals to see/hear it fall it exists unto itself. err

Anonymous

#2654989 - 05/08/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Post History Deleted Upon User's Request

Invisiblesh0e
some type ofsporting shoe
Male

Loc: austrrantilon
Re: the contentless post. [Re: ]
    #2655469 - 05/09/04 12:03 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ofcourse your room still exists if nobody is in there. wheres it gonna go?
maybee if i dropped 20 pounds of TNT in your room, it wont exist.

if a tree falls, it makes a sound. wether the tree is alive or not, or if somebody wasnt there makes no difference.

you just werent there when it happened, still exists just like you or me or that idiot behind you.

Offlinewrong
Stranger
    #2655507 - 05/09/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

existance is infinite, it is not defined by "reality" or my own experience. your room exists, whether it is there or not, whether it is being seen or not
what has lead you to believe a tree is aware of anything??
my thoughts
edit: this was in reply to springchickita

Edited by wrong (05/09/04 12:14 AM)

Invisiblesh0e
Male

Re: the contentless post. [Re: wrong]
    #2655539 - 05/09/04 12:27 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

no you said "your room exists, whether it is there or not"

if its not there, if it doesnt exist.. how can it exist?
wtf

Offlinewrong
Stranger
Re: the contentless post. [Re: sh0e]
    #2655650 - 05/09/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i think of time and space in similar ways. just because im not experiencing it, i dont see it, doesnt mean it is less "real". i think of thoughts as the same way actually, i am thinking of a giant green circle, it exists because i have thought of it.
everything that has ever been and ever will be and has ever been imagined exists just as much as i do or anything else does. like i said, i view existance as the infinite magic that i see, as god, as everything
edit: too much drugs? probably

Edited by wrong (05/09/04 01:34 AM)

Invisiblesh0e
Male

Re: the contentless post. [Re: wrong]
    #2655666 - 05/09/04 01:44 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

nur you made sense. your right about if you do imagine it, it exists.
but that green circle only exists for you, for other ppl it wont.

so i can say your green circle doesnt exist :smile:

Offlinewrong
Stranger
    #2655689 - 05/09/04 02:01 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

bastard! of course my circle exists!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2655896 - 05/09/04 05:14 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Your room *might* still exist, but then again, the fact that it is identified as a room at all relies directly on what meaning you imply onto the space known as your room. While the slow vibrating energy known as matter that is arranged to form the objects that constitute that room are probably still there, on some level, there is absolutely no difference between this energy here and that energy over there.

On our level, we enter a space that is designated by four walls, and we tell ourselves it is a room. Would it be a room with only three walls? Its amazing because a room is only a concept in our mind. Well, technically, everything is a concept in our mind, but a room is even more abstract as it isn't a physical object. A wall is a physical object, a floor is a physical object... but a room isn't a physical object. Entirely within the mind.

Myself, I think that consciousness couldn't be without existance, and existance couldn't be without consciousness. I suposse it is because space and time are merely an illusion existing within some consciousness. With no consciousness, existance doesn't exist, and with no existance, consciousness, well, doesn't exist either. :lol:

We can tell ourselves that the objects that are requried to form the concept of a room exist even without us being there to experience its existance. We "know" this because we know that other people are there outside of ourselves that can seemingly experience it as well. However, that still shows that there is a consciousness present to experience the room.... but what if there was no consciousness at all? If there was no consciousness, anywhere within this Universe, then there would be no existance.

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one hears it, does it make a sound? Of course it doesn't. Sound only exists when a being with ears and consciousness are in the area. When a tree falls, it creates vibrations in the air. These vibrations only turn to sound when something that is capable of perceiving these vibrations and identifying them as sound is within the range of those vibrations, and finds special meaning in the change in the continous state of perceiving incoming sound waves, and notes that change. Nobody to identify these vibrations as sound, no sound. Those vibrations in the air do not equal sound. We make them equal sound. :grin:

At any rate, questions like this are asked in order to produce a flow of your thoughts, looking at the question from different perspectives. It isn't about having the answer, it is about exploring, as the implications of the question generally tend to lead people, if they allow it, into interesting territories full of insight. And as objective as you want to get, you have absolutely know way of knowing that this all exists outside of your consciousness. :evil:

And Shroomhermit has to be laughing his ass off, as I saw this post more about his personal battle with 2experimental than the whole room thing. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2656490 - 05/09/04 11:26 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"reality" is the stuff that is still there whether you are or not...
heh...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
shortest story ever written///room [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2656499 - 05/09/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

the last man on earth sat in a room. there was a knock on the door.

--------------------
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Re: shortest story ever written///room///even shorter [Re: gnrm23]
    #2656503 - 05/09/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

the last man on earth sat in a room. there was a lock on the door.

--------------------
not old enough to care

Offlineabhi
Why not?
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
    #2674386 - 05/13/04 03:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If nobody experiences it, it isn't reality for anybody, so you can't prove it either way.

--------------------

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2674489 - 05/13/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomHermit said:

It's like when a group of power hungry assholes visit a country for the first time. They look at a mountain and say that it belongs to them. Nevermind the fact that the mountain has been there for a million years and will remain for a million years after the last power hungry asshole dies. Still, that's governments for you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order