Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNewShroomBunny
Noob
Female User Gallery

Dried gils on agar
    #26517841 - 03/05/20 02:07 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Hello,

I'm very new to this and in need of advice. Also, this is my first post, so I'm sorry if I did it wrong.

I currently only have access to dried shrooms but have read that I can potentially grow by putting the gils on agar. So I did and this is the result. Can you tell me if this is healthy mycelium growing?

Also, should I transfer a section to new agar? The brown, discolored area is where most of the gils are located. One agar dish was sprayed with ISO and the other (with the growth) was not sprayed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewShroomBunny
Noob
Female User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: NewShroomBunny]
    #26517847 - 03/05/20 02:12 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry, posted before I attached pics:

Edited by NewShroomBunny (03/05/20 02:19 AM)

Offlinecli_hlt
Beshroomed
Male User Gallery

Loc: EU
Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: NewShroomBunny] * 1
    #26517876 - 03/05/20 02:35 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

There's a lot of contamination there.

I had a similar situation with a Panaeolus cyanescens "Jamaica" syringe. All the plates in the first round was infected with yeast.

Look at the pictures here:

Pan cyan Jam from horribly contaminated syringe

Almost every plate germinated though, and I managed to transfer some mycelium. Now I have 9 plates with mostly clean growth.

Healthy mycelium can grow over yeast and some bacterial contamination unless it takes over the whole plate very quickly. Your contam looks like my yeast and the Panaeolus mycelium could grow over it, so probably your - I assume - Cubensis might be able to do just that.

Mycelium is white and cottony, so look for growth that's like that. Molds turn green / grey after a few days, magic mushroom mycelium doesn't (it sometimes can turn pale blueish, but usually not in the first few days).

It's hard to tell whether there's any mycelium at all on these plates there's a lot going on there :laugh:

I'd suggest next time try to put as little material on the plates as possible. You could try and just brush a piece of gill against the plate to smear the spores and contams around, so they are better separated.

It's an interesting project, I hope you succeed. :thumbup:

Edited by cli_hlt (03/05/20 02:36 AM)

OfflineRyan_Spalding2727
Stranger
Male
Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: cli_hlt]
    #26517888 - 03/05/20 02:50 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, good luck but aside from all of the distortion due to I’m guessing the Saran Wrap type covering you’ve put all over your plates, it’s hard to see anything besides that bacterial/yeast growth the last poster commented about. I’ll also echo his advice on using very small amounts per plate. Ups your chances in my book.

That being said, I’ve always wanted to try out what you’re doing, so kudos on going for it.

OfflineInfinity-25
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26517897 - 03/05/20 03:11 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

cli_hlt said:
There's a lot of contamination there.

I had a similar situation with a Panaeolus cyanescens "Jamaica" syringe. All the plates in the first round was infected with yeast.

Look at the pictures here:

Pan cyan Jam from horribly contaminated syringe

Almost every plate germinated though, and I managed to transfer some mycelium. Now I have 9 plates with mostly clean growth.

Healthy mycelium can grow over yeast and some bacterial contamination unless it takes over the whole plate very quickly. Your contam looks like my yeast and the Panaeolus mycelium could grow over it, so probably your - I assume - Cubensis might be able to do just that.

Mycelium is white and cottony, so look for growth that's like that. Molds turn green / grey after a few days, magic mushroom mycelium doesn't (it sometimes can turn pale blueish, but usually not in the first few days).

It's hard to tell whether there's any mycelium at all on these plates there's a lot going on there :laugh:

I'd suggest next time try to put as little material on the plates as possible. You could try and just brush a piece of gill against the plate to smear the spores and contams around, so they are better separated.

It's an interesting project, I hope you succeed. :thumbup:

:whathesaid:

Hard to see good growth on the pics due to image quality. Spores can also take a bit longer (1-2 weeks) to germinate on your plates, so best to wait and observe and make transfers when you get something fluff growth.

Curious if this works out for you. Please post an update if you find some good growth!

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26517906 - 03/05/20 03:26 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Those plates do not look good at all. I see a little bit of white mycelium but not much.

OfflineNewShroomBunny
Noob
Female User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26524938 - 03/09/20 03:47 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Small update. The plates I originally posted I did on 2/27 with a lot of gils. One plate having been sprayed with ISO and the other not. I also did plates with distilled water. One being a small amount of gils & the other with a swab of the gils onto the agar (3/1). I'm still experimenting because eventually I want to grow but I think for anyone who doesn't have easy access to spores, this could be helpful.

Sorry for the bad picture quality, I tried.

My plan is to transfer what looks like healthy mycilium to me to a new agar dish and go from there. Suggestions are welcome. 

Offlinecli_hlt
Beshroomed
Male User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: NewShroomBunny] * 1
    #26525032 - 03/09/20 06:27 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Hey! There IS some mycelium there. Now whether that's mold or cube, that's the question :laugh:

I'd do transfers as soon as I'd got enough mycelium  to do so. That is about now, or not much later.

The 3/1 plates look promising. :popcorn:

Invisiblethirdeyewild
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #26525089 - 03/09/20 07:27 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I'm trying the same thing, but sandwiched the piece of gill between agar. Also sandwiched where I wiped the gills on agar and this one is showing some growth at the edge of the sandwich.

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26525169 - 03/09/20 08:50 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

The first few plates look pretty decent :thumbup:

That iso plate looks terrible thou :eek:

OfflineHamHead
Hard Ass Motherfucker
Male

Loc: Galactic sector ZZ9 Plura...
Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26525364 - 03/09/20 11:27 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it can be done but whatever mushroom is used must not be dried in a dehydrator.

--------------------
The Italian researchers’ findings, published by the INT’s scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing-idUSKBN27V0KF

This online first version has been peer-reviewed, accepted and edited,  but not formatted and finalized with corrections from authors and proofreaders

https://www.icandecide.org/

OfflineNewShroomBunny
Noob
Female User Gallery

#26528206 - 03/10/20 09:09 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the positive vibes!

Do you know how I'd be able to tell the difference between mold and mycelium? Do I just have to wait and see if it turns an unpleasant color? Is there a type of mold that is white in color and looks similar to mycelium?

I tried to find the answer to this but no luck. And thanks again! I'll keep updating if anyone is interested. I'll be picking up actual spores soon but will probably keep this experiment going if it doesn't turn out disastrous.

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
    #26528263 - 03/10/20 10:07 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

This is a spore plate I swabbed, I thought the circle in the middle was myc germination and took a transfer and the next morning the whole plate was grown in with a white mold. Never seen it before usually they turns colors or look obviously different from cube myc.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Edited by A.k.a (03/10/20 10:07 PM)

Invisiblethirdeyewild
Male User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: A.k.a]
    #26541458 - 03/17/20 07:54 PM (4 years, 30 days ago)

So out of my experiments the best plates were the ones I scraped the spores off the dried cap and streaked them deep into the agar (emerged very ryzomorphic).  Had growth on the gill sandwich but at this point it is hard to say if it is mold or mycelium.

--------------------

OfflineNewShroomBunny
Noob
Female User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: A.k.a]
    #26541991 - 03/18/20 04:08 AM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Interesting.

I have a few plates that have something similar to that. Did you transfer from that small growth section hoping it was/ or will become healthy mycelium? I've been waiting out a transfer to see if something promising grows from it.

Invisiblethirdeyewild
Male User Gallery

#26554226 - 03/23/20 11:53 PM (4 years, 24 days ago)

It's mycelium! So yeah all of my experiments yielded great cultures. Hope your experiments do too!

--------------------

Edited by thirdeyewild (03/24/20 12:04 AM)

Offlinecli_hlt
Beshroomed
Male User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: thirdeyewild]
    #26554767 - 03/24/20 09:19 AM (4 years, 24 days ago)

Bunny, do you have any news?

OfflineNewShroomBunny
Noob
Female User Gallery

#26569997 - 03/31/20 08:38 PM (4 years, 16 days ago)

Thank you for the followup! The one I did a swab of the gils to agar (3/1) is looking promising.

I also recently got spore syringes and thought it'd be interesting to put some on agar. The 3/26 image is what I got so far. If anyone has done this before, did yours have a terrible spell? The syringe to agar plate smells absolutely vile.

Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
    #26570288 - 04/01/20 01:27 AM (4 years, 16 days ago)

The 3/26 is just a shit ton of bacteria. That syringe was bad probably

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Offlinecli_hlt
Beshroomed
Male User Gallery

Re: Dried gils on agar [Re: poisoned]
    #26570396 - 04/01/20 05:00 AM (4 years, 16 days ago)

The swabs do look promising, the syringe plate however do not, it looks about as bad as the first plates of my ongoing Pan. cyan Jamaica grow. That being said now I have 5 clean plates and 3 big jars of clean grain spawn out of them :smile:

I don't know how much spore solution did you use, but here's my technique:

• Do things inside a SAB, or better sterile environment
  • Get the agar plates ready.
  • Open the syringe, remove the needle, pull in an air bubble a 10ml syringe about 1ml will do.
  • Shake the living hell out of the syringe.
  • Turn it outlet-down, so any large spore clumps can float near the opening.
  • Drop a droplet or two onto a plate.
  • Smear the droplet(s) around with a flamed loop or something similar.
  • Repeat the drop-smear procedure with other plates. The more the better.

I always try to maneuver any clumps onto the plate. My Pan. cyan syringe was really thick, but clumpy and infected with yeast. Needed three transfers to look remotely viable :smile: The first plates were horrible, the seconds looked alive, but with lots of strange growth and metabolites. T2 was already much better and T3 looked so good I dropped a few wedges on grain, and they took right the hell off :cool:

If you keep getting only bacteria with the syringe, you might try to get antibiotic agar plates and try to do the first run on those. Not a life insurance though, as the infection might be yeast. It's hard to tell apart from bacteria just by looking at the colonies (or at least it is for me :P ). I needed a microscope to ID my contam on the Pans.

Anyways, good luck with the plates.

Edited by cli_hlt (04/01/20 05:01 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag