Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBabylon
Shaman

Hybrid vigor
    #26513782 - 03/03/20 01:32 AM (11 months, 22 days ago)

So I have been reading through the threads on strain combining and I notice people don't like to spread spore prints around until they have been through seven generations or so and stabilized.  I can understand that philosophy, a purebreed is going to produce more reliably consistent results.  However in PastyWhite's thread about developing the Rusty Whyte variety he mentions that the first generation had what looked like hybrid vigor.  I know that in dogs the breeds are often crossed, to produce what are known as designer dogs, which tend to be healthier than purebreeds. 

I feel like there is some potential for excellent growth from hybrids, something that folks who don't have much experience could benefit from a lot, but currently people don't like to do trades or giveaways of anything but completely stable varieties.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hybrid vigor [Re: Babylon]
    #26513942 - 03/03/20 06:43 AM (11 months, 22 days ago)

Hybrids are from mixing two different species. We make crosses of varieties those are absolutely not hybrids. They're just crosses.
Like a oreo kid isn't a hybrid of black and white people

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

OfflineBabylon
Shaman

Re: Hybrid vigor [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26513959 - 03/03/20 07:04 AM (11 months, 22 days ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Hybrids are from mixing two different species. We make crosses of varieties those are absolutely not hybrids. They're just crosses.
Like a oreo kid isn't a hybrid of black and white people

ok, it's used to refer to the health of mutts, who are definitely not interspecies.  I'm happy to use whatever term is appropriate, my point is that genetic diversity can increase health and growth, but currently distribution is all focused on reliability, which requres throttling diversity, and increasing it, through cross breeding, is beyond the skill of most starting growers, which is who would benefit most from a vigourous, easy to grow culture.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hybrid vigor [Re: Babylon] * 1
    #26513967 - 03/03/20 07:09 AM (11 months, 22 days ago)

There's probably little to be gained. Recently there's been many varietal crosses. Rustywhyte is only one example of more than dozens of crosses people have done in the last few years. And they're all just as fast as cubes go. If there's mutt vigor it's signal to noise ratio isn't big enough that anyone's picked up on it from their experiences

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation