Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

karo syrup
    #2651370 - 05/07/04 09:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hi, Well i just used karo syrup tek 1 tbs and a splash of white karo in 1/2 pint.10 min in the pc at 15psi. took it out letting cool and my jar looks lite tan like a weak tea. my question is should it be this color, dont want to use it if its bad.. any tips??

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: karo syrup [Re: ]
    #2651605 - 05/07/04 10:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

No the sugers in the syrup have carmelized. Id Start over.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Anonymous

Re: karo syrup [Re: ButterNut]
    #2651717 - 05/07/04 11:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Right on!! better safe then sorry

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2652224 - 05/08/04 02:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So what should he just steam steralize it or are you joking?

OfflinePapaSurf
GhanjaShroom

Re: karo syrup [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2652285 - 05/08/04 02:26 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You should put your karo water in a microwave safe container like a Jar with a platic lid and poke a hole in the lid with a hot needle. Make sure that the lid is on kinda loose and microwave for 2-3 minutes (time varies by microwave) until the water is boiling but before it starts to sound like it's popping. Stop the mico, let the jar cool inside the micro for about 10-15 minutes, then slowly open the door and tape over the holes, so you can transport without worry of contamination. when the whole thing is cool you can put in your spores through the holes you poked on the top and re- tape the holes. You should start to see growth within a couple days, faster if you're usinng an incubator.

--------------------
-Saving the world, one spore at a time...

OfflinePapaSurf
GhanjaShroom

Re: karo syrup [Re: PapaSurf]
    #2652301 - 05/08/04 02:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

P.s. Make sure you tighten the lid before you transport.
I hope this helps, my "friend" has never experienced a contaminated culture from using this method. However he has fucked up a lot of karo water by trying to sterilize it in a P.C.
Peace  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinetrippysmurf
Smurfette'sSugar Daddy

#2652667 - 05/08/04 06:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You say 2-3 minutes in the microwave. I talked to someone who used Karo, water in half pint jars for 10 mins in the microwave, but it's too recent to know results. Is there a problem with 10 minutes? No coloring was detected in the mixture.

--------------------
I like your Christ, but I do not like Christians - they are so unlike Christ. -Gandhi

OfflinePapaSurf
GhanjaShroom

Re: karo syrup [Re: trippysmurf]
    #2652673 - 05/08/04 06:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well If it works then go with it. It's just that with my microwave 10 minutes seems to be too long, most of the water gets evaporated and/ or spills out the lid. The problem with microwaves is that they are so drastically different from each other (in regards to their power level). For me 2-3 minutes is just right...kinda like a nursery rythme huh?

--------------------

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2652790 - 05/08/04 09:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The microwave will be a bit tricky,as PapaSurf said,so some experimentation is in order to figure out your perfect time for nuking the karo water.  Many have great luck with the jars,but I have a friend who uses the plastic disposable food storage containers from ziplock or glad, and he has never had one contaminate yet!!

Here is what you need:

1. disposeable containers from grocery by glad or ziplock.(small kind that come with four in a stack with blue lids)
2. Karo syrup (light corn syrup)
3. High temp silicone from auto parts store.(ask for some RTV blue and they will know exactly what you are looking for.)
4. A microwave and your favorite spore syringe.

1. Fill the container with water about half way and add the Karo.(About 1.5tsp per 100 millileters of water is what he recomends.)

2. Melt a hole in the lid at one end of the lid near the edge,but not too close.( This will make it easier to draw the solution out when you are ready.) Use a nail heated up to make the hole just about an eight of an inch across.

3. Place the container ,with the lid on, into the microwave and heat a couple of times at increments you have determined to work well,without carmelizing,in your microwave.

4. Let it cool in there for a few minutes and then gently open the door and immediately dab a nice little bit of the silicone over the hole,making sure it is sealed nicely and humped up a little bit.

5. Allow it to sit for about an hour and make sure the lid is on tight before taking the dish out. (sometimes the heat loosens it a little)

6. Now you have a sterile solution with a self sealing innoculation port via the silicone that will work very well.
**you may want to wrap a couple pieces of tape aroung the whole thing to avoid inadvertantly dislodging the lid when you are moving it around**

----I dont guess there is anything super innovative about this technique,but I thought it was worth laying out in detail since it works so well and is relatively simple.

*****THE KARO SOLUTION SHOULD BE CLEAR! IF IT IS DISCOLORED START OVER AND USE LESS TIME IN MICROWAVE****

I really hope this helps out some newbies who want to speed up their colonization and stetch out their spores!

Good Luck
MYKEY :microwave:

--------------------

Anonymous

#2652804 - 05/08/04 09:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Right on i will try it that way cuz i was up later tried it again in the pc and lite tan then i remberd that surger boils at like 180 or some thing around there so i think i will try the microwave. thanks for the feed back all...peace!

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2652822 - 05/08/04 09:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry for invading this post,But man that is one cool pic in your sig!!!!!!! :cool: :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinePapaSurf
GhanjaShroom

Re: karo syrup [Re: doc34]
    #2652836 - 05/08/04 10:06 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey thanks man! I hope that this post can help someone out. A lot of people are afraid to use microwaves to pasteurize things. My "friend" always uses a micro for his casings and karo water and whenever he makes sterile water for his syringes...with no contam problems! I believe that it's worth the time to get to know your micro. just keep in mind that it won't sterilize but it will pasteurize, therefore it's more suited for some things and not others. Blah blah blah, sorry for rambling. Good luck with your experiments guys! :mushroom2:

--------------------

Invisiblefrankz00
monkey man

Loc: mad house
    #2652851 - 05/08/04 10:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I use microwave to make sterile water for syringes.
it works well

Good Luck

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation