Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Laminar Flow Hood, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineZoda
Pilzkopf
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Substrate Bags
    #26510747 - 03/01/20 05:58 AM (11 months, 19 days ago)

Hello folks,

I am a beginner who has still to figure our what he is doing wrong in his grow, maybe you guys can help.

I have bought a sterile liquid culture with the strain mckenaii and put it into a sterilized grain spawn jar. this jar has fully colonized after 2 weeks and i put it into a large zip lock bag with a subtrate i made from coco coir , worm droppings and perlite.

the question i mainly have and wasnt able to find a guide on: Do I have to pressure cook the substrate too? I use boiling water in the bag directly , close the lid and mix everything up. I just sits there for a few hours until it cools and then I put the grains in.

Reason Im asking is cause the now fully colonized subtrate has developed some metabolites probnably fighting bacteria.

I have an improvised flow hood and try to keep everything as sterile as possible, but obviously it wasnt enough.

Another question would be: Should I "birth" this bag, as in dunk it into water overnight and then put it into a perlite floored birthing box? or should I wait for pins and even the first flush? the substrate appears to be still moist enough.

Also, light does not matter at all , its just there for the pins to know which direction to grow , correct?

Thank you very much for your help :smile:

--------------------
“I’m growing mushrooms… because I can’t kill them. They just keep multiplying…and it’s like…I’m in service to them.”

Edited by Zoda (03/01/20 05:59 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Bags [Re: Zoda]
    #26510807 - 03/01/20 07:39 AM (11 months, 19 days ago)

Light matters alot.
Introducing fresh air will help with pinning.
You can fruit right in the bag to maintain RH.
Pictures of your improvised Floowhood please.
Did you Sterilize your worm casings?

OfflineZoda
Pilzkopf
I'm a teapot

Re: Substrate Bags [Re: Sockadin]
    #26510875 - 03/01/20 08:52 AM (11 months, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Sockadin said:
Light matters alot.
Introducing fresh air will help with pinning.
You can fruit right in the bag to maintain RH.
Pictures of your improvised Floowhood please.
Did you Sterilize your worm casings?

Thanks for your reply Sockadin.

I had no idea that the worm casings needed further sterilization, so should I put them into a jar and the pressure cook them for over 60 minutes like I do the grain spawn?

Can my current grow with unsterilized worm casings still produce a flush?

I will introduce indirect day light and 5 min of fresh air in the morning and evening now and hope something will start pinning i guess.

--------------------
“I’m growing mushrooms… because I can’t kill them. They just keep multiplying…and it’s like…I’m in service to them.”

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate Bags [Re: Zoda]
    #26510963 - 03/01/20 10:01 AM (11 months, 19 days ago)

We pc grain for longer than 1 hour.

As far as I know anything other than Coir verm gypsum needs pasteurizing which is different from sterilizing,
and unpasteurized worm stuff will probably cause your substrate to contaminate - but it's colonized so hey let's find out.

Base what you're doing on teks here to limit future blunders, we're all happy to double check your methods before you follow through.

OfflineZoda
Pilzkopf
I'm a teapot

Re: Substrate Bags [Re: filthyknees]
    #26511005 - 03/01/20 10:28 AM (11 months, 19 days ago)

Quote:

filthyknees said:
We pc grain for longer than 1 hour.

As far as I know anything other than Coir verm gypsum needs pasteurizing which is different from sterilizing,
and unpasteurized worm stuff will probably cause your substrate to contaminate - but it's colonized so hey let's find out.

Base what you're doing on teks here to limit future blunders, we're all happy to double check your methods before you follow through.

I also use Perlite in the substrate, which like I said pasteurize with boiling water that I add to the dry mix and mix it all up. Is this enough or do I need to differently pasteurize the mixture seperately?

I have already read up on agar in this forum and will now try to do my first transfer to gain the best mycelium.

Thanks for your supporting ideas :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Gypsum, Laminar Flow Hood, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation