Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Thought of the Day
    #2650999 - 05/07/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think when Jesus told us to love our enemies, he meant don't kill them.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: silversoul7]
    #2651021 - 05/07/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Who would Jesus bomb?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2651574 - 05/07/04 10:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I think when Jesus told us to love our enemies, he meant don't kill them.

I'm pretty sure that Jesus meant don't kill them. I'll bet he meant a few other things, too. Jesus used the Greek word for love. There were various meanings of the word "love", but there was a distinctive meaning Jesus had in mind when he said to love our enemy:

From This Web Site come the following distinctions:

agapaw/agapao & agaph/agape : Leon Morris, in his book, Testaments of Love, does a thorough study of the various Hebrew and Greek words that we translate in English as love. In his section dealing with agaph/agape he carefully notes that the noun form of the word is very rare in Greek writing prior to the New Testament, but that it is used quite extensively in the New Testament. He believes the reason is that the coming of Jesus and His sacrifice of Himself on the cross on our behalf brought a new concept of love and this particular word was then used to express that concept. The other words for love were just not suitable.

storgh / Storge was the term for natural affection. The love that occurs within a family and binds them together in a natural group.

filia /Philia was the love of that extended outside the family or natural group. It is the love of friendship. It is the love a man for his fellow man and a woman for her friends.

epiqumia / Epithymia refers to strong desire or passion. It could be used positively, as when Jesus had a strong desire to eat the Passover with His disciples, or it could be used negatively in the sense of lust or coveting.

Finally there was eroV / eros which is basically romantic love. The basic idea of this was a love for what the beholder found beautiful along with the desire to possess the one found beautiful. However, the Greek idea of this went beyond just the physical attraction between a man and a woman and extended to the idea of being lost in passion. Eros is not evil itself and can be very good. The Song of Solomon extols the virtues of romantic love in marriage. Plato even used this word to indicate his love for what was good.

The Greek usage of the verb form, agapaw/agapao, carried the idea of "a free and decisive act determined by its subject." But in Greek thought this was with little emotion and seen more as "prefer." Christian usage of the terms brought rich, positive meaning to them. Perhaps one of the best ways to describe the meaning of agaph/agape word group in Christian usage is to contrast it with eroV / eros. Whereas eroV / eros is a love by one person based on what he finds beautiful and desirable in another to gain for himself, agaph/agape is a love given irrespective to, and often in spite of, the merit of the one loved. Whereas eroV / eros is a love that desires to posses and gain for itself, agaph/agape is a love that seeks to give of itself.

This is a love of commitment and sacrifice. It is the love that would cause a man to lay down his life for a friend (Jn. 15:13). It is the love that God has for us that caused Him to send Jesus into the world to be our substitute sacrifice on the cross for our sins (Rom. 5:8). It is the love that we are to have for God and for others (Lk 10:27). It is the love that husbands are commanded to have for their wives so that they give of themselves for her benefit as a picture of Jesus love for the church rather than seeking what they can get from her (Eph. 5:25f). It is the love by which all men will know if we are Jesus' disciples or note (John 13:35). This is the love Jesus spoke of when He said, "if anyone loves me, he will keep My word" (Jn. 14:23). Jesus is asking Peter what his level of love for Him is now.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2651588 - 05/07/04 10:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

what about acceptance?

we are always trying to get somewhere and if someone is in our way, we will try to twart them as much as possible. when most people do this twarting towards someone else, they really don't think they're dong anything bad at all, but to the other person, that individual must seem like a horrible person. in most situations, we are all jsut trying to get to the same place, and most of our intents behind that action is positive. indeed, behind most negative actions, you can find a positive one. when two or more people clash, most of the time their intent is the same, and so is the goal. though some of us can have a VERY distorted view of how to get that goal which makes it hard to understand sometimes. in this case, our intent is mostly the same. in this case those that try to get in our way aren't really all that different for us because deep down behind their actions, your enemy wants what you want.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2651738 - 05/07/04 11:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Are you saying this in response to Bush talking so much about how Jesus is his idol and how we are walking the path of God?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: Strumpling]
    #2651809 - 05/08/04 12:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

In certain cases there are no other answers but war. But in many other ideological situations one wishes one could love thy enemy instead of the endless wars that destroy so many lives.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: Droz]
    #2652629 - 05/08/04 05:50 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

are there situations going on in the world that you are familiar with now that you believe merit war?

edit: I guess "merit" isn't a good word but hopefully you know what I mean

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (05/08/04 05:53 AM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #2653156 - 05/08/04 01:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If the monkeys want to fight each other, I have no problem with it, as long as they keep it amongst the monkeys...

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: Adamist]
    #2653589 - 05/08/04 04:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

woot, i'd just like to take this time to give a big shoutout to all the fighters who have made sure the world war stayed endless from the begining. i wonder if the world has ever had a single day in its history where no one killed or injured anyone else.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2653775 - 05/08/04 04:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Strumpling said:
Are you saying this in response to Bush talking so much about how Jesus is his idol and how we are walking the path of God?

To some extent, though it's more of a general statement about Christian warmongers.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
    #2655403 - 05/09/04 01:46 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Jesus is the son of God, we are all sons of God, we are all Jesus. If George Bush is claiming Jesus as his idol then he is idolising himself, last time I looked, it isn't a good idea to believe you are God.

--------------------
Light & Music

Edited by DestruKtiKon (05/09/04 01:47 AM)

Offlinewrong
Stranger
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: DestruKtiKon]
    #2655442 - 05/09/04 01:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

it isnt good to believe you are an invisible man who sits in clouds we cannot see and knows everything everyone does.
believing you are god is entirely different

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2655459 - 05/09/04 02:01 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Who are YOU to say what Jesus meant?....

Actually, you are the exact person to say because he meant his teachings to be personal guides for us all, and not to be sected...

But my spin on what he meant was more then just a reguard for one anothers lives, something deeper reguarding about how you are supposed to act towards others in love every moment at life and death.... but I am stil trying to figure it out.

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: Thought of the Day [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2656720 - 05/09/04 02:34 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

By that logic, if you say JLo is your Idol then your saying Jesus is your Idol and your loving yourself.

Makes no sense, we are sopposed to look to Jesus to improve our lifestyle based on his teachings and his acts.

(Re: to DestruKtiKon, not 2 exp)

Edited by Redo (05/09/04 02:42 PM)

OfflineDestruKtiKon
Embrace theChaos!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: wrong]
    #2658237 - 05/09/04 10:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Why does God have be an invisible 'man' in the clouds, he/it is everywhere in everything.

--------------------
Light & Music

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2658571 - 05/10/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
i wonder if the world has ever had a single day in its history where no one killed or injured anyone else.

The days before humans came into existence?

War is natural, we've been fighting since the beginning of this species. Our technology however is not, and a nuke tends to do more damage to the earth than a stick

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinewrong
Stranger
Re: Thought of the Day [Re: DestruKtiKon]
    #2659049 - 05/10/04 03:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

god doesnt have to be anything, i was using a stereotype of the christian idea of god as my definition. i think god IS everything, so you would be right to think you are god

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2659721 - 05/10/04 03:43 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
I think when Jesus told us to love our enemies ...

A couple of thoughts about this...
If everybody followed this principle and shared this value, then it would be no enemies.
If everybody followed the same principles and shared the same values of compassion, equality, respect, freedom and love, then it would be no war, money, government or any other kind of controlling power.
Some reflections,
Mankind likes competing instead of cooperating
Mankind can give but mankind is selfish
Mankind has dreams but mankind wants power
Mankind needs love but mankind seeks pain

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinegrphish
the Modern dayPacman

Re: Thought of the Day [Re: MAIA]
    #2661676 - 05/11/04 03:04 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i'm greek
ask me any word :laugh:
i can explain bettar

AGAPATE ALLILOUS!
love each other

--------------------
BoUnCy BaLL IS All SoUrCe OF LIGhT AnD HaPPiNeSS!!~! *bEEP* *beEP*

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology