Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Melatonin, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
5-htp, SAMe, ect. For a healthier state of mind
    #2650942 - 05/07/04 07:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Anybody have much experience with either of these supplements? Having been interested in giving 5-htp a try for some time, I finally got around to picking up some up today. 

I had been been thinking about the possibility that maybe..since 5-htp is the precursor to serotonin..would it not also potentially promote the production of other endogenous tryptamines?  I have heard of people reporting moreso vivid dreams while taking this stuff..it being my first day taking it, I don't know if this is actually true or not..but if DMT for example plays a role in dreaming as has been suggested..perhaps there is a connection there?

After reading  this article..it does imply that 5-htp is not a direct precursor to DMT.  However, by supplementing your body with it, in theory, the brain should be able to spare more of its own tryptamine/tryptophan to put towards the production of DMT, Melatonin, and other related compounds.

Which then brings us to another supplementary compound, SAMe.  I don't know very much about this stuff..but to quote from the site:

"SAMe is the master tuner as far as the chemistry of connection is concerned. It donates ?methyl? groups and helps to make naturally occurring tryptamines that are part of the brain?s well-tuned chemistry. The methylation of tryptamine, for example, results in DMT. The body can and does make SAMe from the constituent of protein, methionine. Having enough vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid helps the body maximise its production of SAMe."

So, I guess this SAMe compound might be pretty much essential in the production of endogenous tryptamines?  I'm suddenly very interested in finding out if they have this stuff for sale around here..  :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: 5-htp, SAMe, ect. For a healthier state of mind [Re: ekomstop]
    #2651875 - 05/08/04 12:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting, I never thought of it that way... by adding to your cache of tryptamine precursurs, maybe your brain can get satisfy its serotonin level with plenty more material left over for fun stuff like DMT :smile:

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: 5-htp, SAMe, ect. For a healthier state of mind [Re: ekomstop]
    #2652764 - 05/08/04 08:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

too bad ya can't get TRP (tryptophan) for human use in the USSA anymore...
(hmmm, lotta TPR in sunflower seeds...)(& of course, milk, & turkey... hooooboy am i sleeepy...)

there are other methyl donors available...
DMAE & DMG & TMC (betaine) come to mind...
SAMe sounds great but is sorta pricey for me, ususally...

you might want to consider taking "free-radical quenching" nutrients as well (vitamin & other anti-oxidant nutrients, mostly) since many of these Me- donors can initiate free-radical chain reactions...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: 5-htp, SAMe, ect. For a healthier state of mind [Re: gnrm23]
    #2653442 - 05/08/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

gnrm23 said:
you might want to consider taking "free-radical quenching" nutrients as well (vitamin & other anti-oxidant nutrients, mostly) since many of these Me- donors can initiate fre-radical chain reactions...

Good point. Vitamins C & E, Selenium (trace amounts), Copper, Alpha Lipoic Acid & Beta Carotene are a few anti-oxidants that can be supplemented.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Melatonin, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience