Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebingobongoman
Stranger
Funky Smell on Popham Oyster Block
    #26500117 - 02/23/20 03:42 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Hi All,
First post here, lurker for a while! I'm fairly new to growing mushrooms but already hooked!

I waited a little too long to harvest my Oyster mushrooms and they started to drop spores (looked like icicles). I noticed a funky 'fishy' kind of smell on them. I washed them off and the smell mostly went away, and I tossed a few which looked way past their prime. I ate them anyways and didn't get any ill effects, but now I'm curious if this is normal.

Do oyster mushrooms naturally get this smell, or is it some sort of contamination / bacteria?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDigitalRhizae
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Funky Smell on Popham Oyster Block [Re: bingobongoman]
    #26508325 - 02/28/20 02:44 PM (4 years, 29 days ago)

Usually bad smells like that are from bacteria. If they were rotting than it's very likely bacteria. Some mushrooms have a horrendous smell when they've rotted. I've worked by a bunch of rotten mushrooms weeding a plant bed before in the past and they smelled awful. Some species (I'm not sure if all) of oysters will have a fairly pleasant anise or licorice smell. I had large 5 gallon bags and buckets that smelled of baby powder, but the mushrooms themselves had a very pleasant anise smell.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract